Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
It was a lovely thing that was done, but at least the Nazi's didn't get boats to sacrifice even more lives in that hilarious attempt at an invasion. It didn't help British and French post war relations once the Nazi's were dealt with that is for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

slothrop posted:

God it just seems like such a gently caress up from start to finish. In saying that, my only knowledge of it comes from wikipedia. My take is that it was a huge breakdown of communication and probably some dumb strong dumb, strong personalities coming into play.

I've love to hear some reasoned explanations, however I feel like it could be one of those "why did Truman drop the bomb" scenarios

I'm a little surprised that Mers-el-Kebir isn't used by wehraboos as a "but they were as bad not worse" argument

I think there were some problems with Admiral Darlan not communicating to his subordinates the British offer of relocating the fleet to the Carribean. I read something on this a while ago when reading about the war as a whole, the whole thing was pretty messy. The British set a deadline for the French to respond with their surrender and let it go over twice or thrice if I recall, then the whole thing went bad when they got word that a squadron of French ships was moving in, someone made an aggressive move and then everything just turned into pandemonium.

It supposedly did alot to reassure FDR's faith in Britain's will to fight on and go to any lengths though, particularly after Churchill had tried to guilt him into intervening by saying that Britain might not be able to withstand Germany forever and that someone else might seek peace with Hitler and that the Royal Navy might end up in the hand of the nazis, to which FDR suggested and kept pushing Churchill to move the fleet to Canada.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

slothrop posted:

I'm a little surprised that Mers-el-Kebir isn't used by wehraboos as a "but they were as bad not worse" argument

Wehraboos study history beyond the statistics of the Tiger tank's gun? Since when?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
A heavy shell hitting an armored ship is just about the most :wth: thing

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9xOp8z2Q-w&feature=youtu.be&t=8m42s

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

frankenfreak posted:

How have you never seen that before?

Serious question: where did you first / last come across that? I have no idea where / on what occasion I should have seen this previously, it seems hella obscure, I have never heard that guy's name before, and I'm not a historian.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

I know the French really didn't see their defeat coming, but you'd think they could have sent out a message saying "EVERYBODY IN THE FRENCH NAVY - we are defeated, our preference is that you join the Allies but you gotta make up your own mind about these things. AVENGE US"

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
things were like, a little bit chaotic during the Fall of France

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
On top of which a lot of French officers were really unhappy with the Brits even before Mers-el-Kebir, and the Petain government had at least a veneer of legitimacy. Most French personnel who had escaped the fall of France chose to be repatriated rather than fight on. There was never really any official effort to evacuate military assets; what did occur was ad hoc, local, and small scale. The Free French started as much more symbol than reality, especially in comparison to the Poles.

Clarence
May 3, 2012

13th KRRC War Diary, 10th Apr 1918 posted:

At 4.30 a.m. news was received from Bgde. that the Boche was expected to attack. Precautionary measures were taken. Everyone stood-to, but no attack took place.

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013
I don't think the British fears of the Germans pinching the French fleet (by force if necessary) were necessarily unfounded, either - in fact they attempted to do just that, albeit unsuccessfully, in 1942. I don't think they could have ignored the question of the French Navy forever, at any rate.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I've never understood why the French navy didn't just sail straight to Southampton and enthusiastically volunteer their services.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Soup Inspector posted:

I don't think the British fears of the Germans pinching the French fleet (by force if necessary) were necessarily unfounded, either - in fact they attempted to do just that, albeit unsuccessfully, in 1942. I don't think they could have ignored the question of the French Navy forever, at any rate.

From that article:

quote:

Officers of the battleship Provence and the seaplane carrier Commandant Teste managed to delay German officers with small talk until their ships were completely sunk.

That sounds like something from one of the lost episodes of 'Allo 'Allo.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

bewbies posted:

I've never understood why the French navy didn't just sail straight to Southampton and enthusiastically volunteer their services.

Because is wasn't yet clear that France was going to be indefinitely occupied and that thid would become WW2 instead of the Franco-prussian war

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Possibly controversial chat, but would you consider the United States Navy of 1812 to be a blue water navy, or a brown/green(?) water navy?

I'd argue that while the US did do some force projection and their ships presumably ocean sea worthy, they aren't at the level of the Royal Navy or France and can't defend far flung interests or maintain consistent overseas naval deployments.

Others are arguing that because the US frigates are capable of traveling overseas and mostly fought out of sight of the shores, they are blue water; as well as statements to the effect of "They weren't fighting on the potomac rivers/lakes, ergo they aren't a brown water navy".

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I expect that at first most French people expected their loss to result in the war ending as Britain coming to peace terms, some territory changing hands and reparations. Not full on oppressive occupation.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

full on oppressive occupation.

also the dirty secret of france is that a lot of them were ok with this, far more than postwar narratives claimed

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

HEY GUNS posted:

also the dirty secret of france is that a lot of them were ok with this, far more than postwar narratives claimed

Wasn’t there a joke that in August 44 there wasn’t a single Frenchman who hadn’t been in the Resistance?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I expect that at first most French people expected their loss to result in the war ending as Britain coming to peace terms, some territory changing hands and reparations. Not full on oppressive occupation.

Moreover if France peaces out and Britain continues to fight, that's Britain's problem.

A lot of people are looking at this from a very rose tinted 'the Allies were the good guys, why wouldn't you join them in exile' perspective, but the reality for the majority was that when France's government surrendered, that was it. France was at peace, you stop fighting.

Gaullist revisionism and shame result in everyone immediately adopting 'the Free French was always the legitimate government' narrative.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Because is wasn't yet clear that France was going to be indefinitely occupied and that thid would become WW2 instead of the Franco-prussian war

Yeah it's this. These were still French sailors on French ships, and Catapult was a mere two weeks after the signing of the armistice. It was in no way clear that Britain and the Free French would actually fight on for five years, rather than there being some sort of peace accord. The option to sail to the French Caribbean might have been acceptable, but nobody told the folks at Mars el-Kabir about it.

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

Raenir Salazar posted:

Possibly controversial chat, but would you consider the United States Navy of 1812 to be a blue water navy, or a brown/green(?) water navy?

I'd argue that while the US did do some force projection and their ships presumably ocean sea worthy, they aren't at the level of the Royal Navy or France and can't defend far flung interests or maintain consistent overseas naval deployments.

Others are arguing that because the US frigates are capable of traveling overseas and mostly fought out of sight of the shores, they are blue water; as well as statements to the effect of "They weren't fighting on the potomac rivers/lakes, ergo they aren't a brown water navy".

I don't think this question can be definitively answered because those terms aren't universally sharply-defined. It may be worth noting for your argumentation that the Barbary Wars had already entailed multi-year missions to the Mediterranean by US naval forces.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

bewbies posted:

Because Vichy France was a thing and being in the navy doesn't make you immune to being a fascist? There was a real fear on the British side that the fleet would join the war on the wrong side, if you get my drift. There was similar uncertainty about which way French colonial troops in Africa would go. Would have made allied landings in that part of North Africa a serious problem if they had chosen to stay loyal to the Vichy-regime.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

It's not like the average French sailor knew that the Nazis were evil and as before the expectation was probably for a big indemnity and Alsace and Lorraine, in which case having the ships might be useful as a bargaining chip.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

aphid_licker posted:

Serious question: where did you first / last come across that? I have no idea where / on what occasion I should have seen this previously, it seems hella obscure, I have never heard that guy's name before, and I'm not a historian.
I'm pretty sure it's been posted in the D&D Germany thread a couple of times and I've also seen it pop up on TV and news articles from time to time. :shrug:

Cyrano4747 posted:

I thought the bit about the drunk trying to order drinks was pretty decent in a dad joke sense.
Yeah, that's still nothing exciting and much better than the joke about his hairdresser.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

bewbies posted:

"We won't die for Danzig."

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I feel like we already dealt with this issue at some point, I mean I get that history can be cyclical bu-

Oh come on. If Missourians start massacring Kansans again I'm moving to Canada

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

OpenlyEvilJello posted:

I don't think this question can be definitively answered because those terms aren't universally sharply-defined. It may be worth noting for your argumentation that the Barbary Wars had already entailed multi-year missions to the Mediterranean by US naval forces.
Yeah, not being in the same class as the Royal Navy on the high seas doesn't mean the US Navy wasn't a blue water force. If a separation is worth making, it's about policy and comparative capability within the navy as opposed to how well it matches up with other forces.

For example it makes more sense to call the US Navy of the 1860s a brown water navy, when it intentionally de-prioritized ocean going ships in favor of building up massive coastal and riverine force. Post-ACW it remains a brown water navy for a time despite policy re-orienting towards high seas simply because it took time for capability to catch up with policy - you could say its a brown/green water navy in the process of becoming a blue water one.

The PLAN today is in a similar place - it's a brown/green water navy by capability that's shifting to blue water operations and is near (or potentially even has tipped over) the fuzzy dividing line. That's still true even if the USN would stomp all over them in any kind of fleet engagement.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

zoux posted:

I feel like we already dealt with this issue at some point, I mean I get that history can be cyclical bu-

Jesse Kelly, whoever that is, is a straight-up loving idiot and I hate you by proxy for posting that poo poo.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Jesse Kelly, whoever that is, is a straight-up loving idiot and I hate you by proxy for posting that poo poo.

He's a columnist for fringe right-wing rag *shuffles notes* The Federalist?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
He is a former republican congressional candidate. Narrowly defeated when he ran for Rep Gifford's seat after she was shot in the face.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

zoux posted:

Do it, you idiots. Do it. So we can do Reconstruction properly this time.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

How'd that Succession thing work out the last time South Carolina tried it?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

zoux posted:

If Missourians start massacring Kansans again I'm moving to Canadagonna watch from the sidelines, maybe make some popcorn

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Cythereal posted:

Do it, you idiots. Do it. So we can do Reconstruction properly this time.

I like the way you think.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
https://www.quora.com/Which-are-the-most-prestigious-journals-that-specialize-on-the-history-of-war

quote:

The state of military history, especially in the US, is pretty bad. Most of the 'new' military history is just social history pretending to be military history...

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Can anyone recommend a book that gives a good overview on what lead up to the breakup of the USSR? I've browsed books on the subject a little bit, and it's really hard to find books that aren't either anticommunist gloating ("the USSR feel because communism is bad, you see :smug:"), or tankie hand-wringing looking to pin blame somewhere.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Geisladisk posted:

Can anyone recommend a book that gives a good overview on what lead up to the breakup of the USSR? I've browsed books on the subject a little bit, and it's really hard to find books that aren't either anticommunist gloating ("the USSR feel because communism is bad, you see :smug:"), or tankie hand-wringing looking to pin blame somewhere.

Gorbachev: His Life and Times, maybe?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Libluini posted:

There was similar uncertainty about which way French colonial troops in Africa would go. Would have made allied landings in that part of North Africa a serious problem if they had chosen to stay loyal to the Vichy-regime.

I mean, they did . Operation Torch was the US/UK invasion of Vichy Algeria. There were about a thousand allied casualties from Vichy fire. Would have been a real poo poo show with the French navy still there. What they had left still sunk some destroyers and troop ships.

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Apr 10, 2018

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

From that post:

quote:

historians haven't even started to examine the official records from WWI/WWII.

Wha...?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Kotkin’s Armageddon Averted my go to end of USSR book.