Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

He's just waiting for everything to fall apart for the BEST fight. Playing the long game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

skasion posted:

Maybe not. You’d have to imagine he can read a map at least. Right before Guts kills the duke and his kid for Griffith though, there’s a bit where he’s hanging out in Griffith’s study and acts like he can’t make heads or tails of what he’s got all these books for. Then Griffith shows him a book with sexy pictures and he’s all interested in it. So he may be functionally literate, but certainly is not a big reader.
I thought of that same section.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Zodd clearly has an interest in keeping Guts alive as he is one of the few people who can give him an entertaining fight.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Darth Walrus posted:

Yeah, Zodd is a pretty straightforward dude. He likes people who can give him good fights, and really likes people who can outright kick his rear end. I think he refers to a character you haven’t met yet as his ‘beloved enemy’, which really says it all.

Zodd is probably the only Apostle that would thank Guts for killing him, not that he actually wants to die, but for a fight so good it claimed his life. Because I think that's always been Zodd's way. An old school Warrior's Path.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Crabtree posted:

Zodd is probably the only Apostle that would thank Guts for killing him, not that he actually wants to die, but for a fight so good it claimed his life. Because I think that's always been Zodd's way. An old school Warrior's Path.

Zodd's one of the best "true warrior" types I can think of in any medium, really.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I’ve read volumes 1-6 over the last 6 days. 1200+ is wild since I usually take a quite to finish graphic novels.

OhFunny fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Apr 9, 2018

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
It's kind of strange how bare bones and also how well Zodd works. What do you think makes him different from other characters that share his trope?

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Okay sorry I meant something good and not a terrible cut scenesque nightmare that everyone in here lam blasts. I literally forgot they made that.

Also real pissed I used one of my monkey paw wishes on that :(

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Tezcatlipoca posted:

It's kind of strange how bare bones and also how well Zodd works. What do you think makes him different from other characters that share his trope?

No heart of gold. Zodd really is, in fact, a monster. He's just a bored one.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Tezcatlipoca posted:

he's not stupid and he isn't dead yet. most warrior type characters get killed off pretty quick. he's just megatron.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

He's a work of art every time he shows up too. Miura cuts exactly zero corners with him.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

No heart of gold. Zodd really is, in fact, a monster. He's just a bored one.

its this

Miura never tries to make him a true hero all along or whatever

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Billzasilver posted:

its this

Miura never tries to make him a true hero all along or whatever

He is the pure embodiment of the mercenary that Guts once was and his profession. A dude with no loyalties other than the best fight he can get. Doesn't matter if its for a tyrant, a church or even evil itself. As long as he gets a good fight out of it, The Nosferatu will walk into any war and seek carnage that can challenge him.

It also makes me curious if he's super bored of his current predicament in Falconia after being free for so long. Sure he gets regulated violence and his kind was always in service of the Godhand, but its controlled and sterile.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Crabtree posted:

He is the pure embodiment of the mercenary that Guts once was and his profession. A dude with no loyalties other than the best fight he can get. Doesn't matter if its for a tyrant, a church or even evil itself. As long as he gets a good fight out of it, The Nosferatu will walk into any war and seek carnage that can challenge him.

It also makes me curious if he's super bored of his current predicament in Falconia after being free for so long. Sure he gets regulated violence and his kind was always in service of the Godhand, but its controlled and sterile.

Odds of a rebellion because of this? Odds of it happening before Guts even gets there?.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tezcatlipoca posted:

The short answer is that he's well-written and consistent and sometimes keeping things simple is huge.

The long answer is that characters in Berserk represent a range of archetypes and Zodd fits very well in the context of the story. You can be mystified by his actions (like when he throws Guts a sword) but it's never out-of-character. Everything makes sense.

Every Apostle is a remorseless sociopath who seems to lack self-control. Zodd differs from the other characters is that he shows the same violent and sadistic tendencies, but also shows maturity and a sense of nobility (not as in kindness or ethically, but as in acting according to a code, like how a Bond villain or a person in power in a movie will sometimes chivalrously talk to the enemy). He's written a bit like the mature vampire archetype, in that he's old, patient, playing the long game and while unable to resist his urges - in this case, being a warmongering monster - he's able not to let it cloud his vision entirely.

Compare Zodd to Wyald who's a complete monster without any foresight. Wyald lives for battle but is a coward, he preaches as to how others should live for enjoyment and excitement because he has the power to do so, and that life is a waste and people should not worry about dying. The moment he's dying, though, he's desperate and begging to live. This isn't unique to him: a lot of the apostles are purposely written this way and we've seen it happen numerous times since the very first chapters. Remember the snake guy begging for his life, or the count wanting to sacrifice Guts? In fact, a huge part of the first chapters was Guts' sadism in showing the monsters how they themselves still have the survival instinct that they mock in humans, and are merely preying on the weak.

To sum it up: Zodd is a bored demi-god who wants a good fight and is not past playing the long game to get one. He's seen a lot of stuff and thinks Guts is pretty unique (he was genuinely excited when he saw that Guts survived the eclipse). He knows his place and does not overreach while other apostles let power get over their heads, and he does not (thus far) seem to be hypocritical about wanting a good battle.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Apr 9, 2018

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

lobster22221 posted:

Odds of a rebellion because of this? Odds of it happening before Guts even gets there?.

I don't think Zodd will actively betray Griffith yet as he's shown no sign of that, but I think he may disobey orders or desert to seek out Guts for a fight if poo poo goes bad in Falconia. Because I don't think its just him that may not like the new world that Apostles have to live as - basically protectors and possible servants of their prey. Like just a bunch of animistic psychopaths now have to follow orders and take their medication in the form of gladiatorial fights for humanity's amusement, to be part of Griffith's Kingdom. The system doesn't really seem to be intended to be stable, and Zodd probably doesn't really care enough to keep it going if this is just the maelstrom of causality to manipulate Griffith further.

Also I think Zodd, unlike most Apostles is still somewhat true to himself before and after his transformation into a monster. That his code was always there and it made a logical sense to make the sacrifice depending on the circumstances of what happened. Like maybe he's Gaiseric and he sacrificed his Kingdom when there were no more worlds to conquer, maybe he's like Gambino in that he either was made crippled or was too weak to ever become the warrior that he wished to be and the sacrifice for strength to battle was a necessary evil to live the life he wished. But the code is still there even as a monster and it what gives meaning to what he is and a sense of purpose above just being a hedonistic sadist that most apostles descend into, even if he is just as violent, if not even worse than a neonate Apostle.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Apr 9, 2018

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Crabtree posted:

I don't think Zodd will actively betray Griffith yet as he's shown no sign of that, but I think he may disobey orders or desert to seek out Guts for a fight if poo poo goes bad in Falconia. Because I don't think its just him that may not like the new world that Apostles have to live as - basically protectors and possible servants of their prey. Like just a bunch of animistic psychopaths now have to follow orders and take their medication in the form of gladiatorial fights for humanity's amusement, to be part of Griffith's Kingdom. The system doesn't really seem to be intended to be stable, and Zodd probably doesn't really care enough to keep it going if this is just the maelstrom of causality to manipulate Griffith further.

Also I think Zodd, unlike most Apostles is still somewhat true to himself before and after his transformation into a monster. That his code was always there and it made a logical sense to make the sacrifice depending on the circumstances of what happened. Like maybe he's Gaiseric and he sacrificed his Kingdom when there were no more worlds to conquer, maybe he's like Gambino in that he either was made crippled or was too weak to ever become the warrior that he wished to be and the sacrifice for strength to battle was a necessary evil to live the life he wished. But the code is still there even as a monster and it what gives meaning to what he is and a sense of purpose above just being a hedonistic sadist that most apostles descend into, even if he is just as violent, if not even worse than a neonate Apostle.

Zodd goes where there is battle. If he rebels, I don't think he will be the one to start it, but if he thinks it will get him a good fight, he has been shown to be more than willing to act for humans(pre-eclipse at least). With Rickert's bitchslap of defiance, there is at least one seed of rebellion inside Falconia.

As for going to find Guts, he would need to know where he is. I have no idea how he would track him down, especially without the help of the Godhand. If they did meet, I'd guess he would tell Griffith they were coming, because that would also mean a bigger fight against Guts.

I mostly agree with your second paragraph. Saying it was a necessary evil to him makes it sound he was a decent dude looking to fight and could have regretted it before becoming an apostle. I guess we really can't tell, but that seems like an odd assumption.

lobster22221 fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Apr 9, 2018

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
zodd tried to rebel against griffith, or at least fight him for the sake of fighting him. it's how he lost a horn. on top of being badass, that demonstrated that apostles are at least physically capable of rebelling against the god hand. griffith can give apostles orders and effortlessly kill them if they don't comply, but it's not innate, absolute control any more than it is for griffith and his human subjects. the apostles are all some combination of cowed and loyal now, but many of them aren't happy with life in falconia. apostles and/or humans killing griffith is out of the question, but mucking up that perfect shining city certainly isn't.

there was also the emperor, but his attempt at rebellion entirely served griffith's goals so it's a bit unclear if he ever had any agency.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017
Miura said the story was pretty far along didn't he? Does anyone remember how much he predicted was left?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

lobster22221 posted:

Miura said the story was pretty far along didn't he? Does anyone remember how much he predicted was left?

IMO we’re entering the final act, if berserk is structured like a monomyth, which it seems to be

temple
Jul 29, 2006

The story was like 60% done a few or 5 years ago

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

I bought the first six volumes from that posted comics sale. I only read these volumes like 15 years ago, so it's basically new to me.

First issue: Guts produced an astonished reaction in people by chopping a buster in half, and I was "ah yeah, this is Berserk"

a feat he duplicates later in the same issue, beheading a horse and rider in a single blow

I was not expecting this:

was sorta expecting this:

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Volume two, and we have a monster that is insect-like, dick-like, and with ragged vagina bits on the bottom

I think I saw a yoga mat with this on it:

We get a comedy take from Guts (puck encountered a pickled elf in a jar)

Also, Puck inadvertently summarizes the whole series, maybe:

e: things that are bad-rear end: Guts literally *scares* evil spirits out of possessing him

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Nebakenezzer posted:

I bought the first six volumes from that posted comics sale. I only read these volumes like 15 years ago, so it's basically new to me.

First issue: Guts produced an astonished reaction in people by chopping a buster in half, and I was "ah yeah, this is Berserk"

a feat he duplicates later in the same issue, beheading a horse and rider in a single blow

I was not expecting this:

was sorta expecting this:

Wait comics sale? What?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Comixology is selling each volume for 5 bucks.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

OhFunny posted:

Conveniently Comixology is running a sale on manga published by Dark Hourse for the whole of April, so I'll pick up volume 1 for $5, and see if it grabs me.

https://www.comixology.com/comics-sale?list_id=23295&lang=1&23295_pg=1&cu=0

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Holy poo poo.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
It's digital only. That seems to be a turn off for some people.

I've been hemming and hawing all weekend, but will probably buy a bunch of them tonight.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

lobster22221 posted:

Zodd goes where there is battle. If he rebels, I don't think he will be the one to start it, but if he thinks it will get him a good fight, he has been shown to be more than willing to act for humans(pre-eclipse at least). With Rickert's bitchslap of defiance, there is at least one seed of rebellion inside Falconia.
Well, I think Zodd also goes where there is power, and he says as much sometime around the hill of swords and at the portal to the eclipse. Given that Griffith has been bitchslapped, what power does he now hold in Zodd's eyes, and how many are just going to walk out? Note specifically that Griffith did not immediately squeeze Rickert into nothingness, so if half the apostles decide to leave, is he going to react or even notice? There's still a question of who ordered the attack on Rickert, but it may well be that the apostles are already starting to control themselves without Griffith's say so.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

YonkouProd thinks Berserk isn't on hiatus this month

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Josuke Higashikata posted:

YonkouProd thinks Berserk isn't on hiatus this month

Its a Miuracle

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
It's likely to be a YA misprint (there's no flashy announcement like there usually is, Berserk is just in the fine-print list of series expected to appear next issue), but it would be nice.

EDIT: the issue preview should go live on the YA website this Friday, we'll know for sure then.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Hopefully it's right I need it to be right.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Otherwise that text on your avatar would be false wouldn't it. :v:

I'm hoping it's not on hiatus. Please don't be on hiatus.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

it's fine i'm always right except when i'm not right but that's more because the thing i was wrong about is wrong rather than me not being right ya dig?

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.
https://twitter.com/MangaMagJapon/status/983598417732558848

New chapter is due to release April 27th.

Woe to ye of little faith. I never lost hope.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

My Cuck Dad posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhx8yVvmM5k

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

My Cuck Dad posted:

gently caress YES

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
He must have known, right? Like theres no way he would have said "till next time" on a note like that and not expected it to drive people crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

He must have known, right? Like theres no way he would have said "till next time" on a note like that and not expected it to drive people crazy.

"When's the next issue out? The time I spend looking that up is time I could use cross-hatching the shadows of the storm of cherry blossoms that follows the elf king everywhere, or, playing idolmaster. I'll just say 'next time'."