Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Yeah there are definitely improvements to be made. The perma claims on demand with a little work are really nice. I feel like it was a buff to the Ottomans as well, last couple games I've played they eat Hungary much faster than I've seen in the past. Enjoying it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Did you have some totally different set of missions in the past from what the rest of us got or what; when did you ever get rewarded for kicking the colonizers' asses? The new mission system definitely highlights how few special missions most tags get but it's doing absolutely nothing to weaken anybody, the old missions were totally worthless for most tags too.

I definitely agree there are improvements to be made, and dynamic missions for ideas (and other stuff) would be great, but the old system was no better in any of these regards. Hopefully this is something that'll get built on over time; it looks a whole lot more expandable than what we had before.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Koramei posted:

Did you have some totally different set of missions in the past from what the rest of us got or what; when did you ever get rewarded for kicking the colonizers' asses? The new mission system definitely highlights how few special missions most tags get but it's doing absolutely nothing to weaken anybody, the old missions were totally worthless for most tags too.

I definitely agree there are improvements to be made, and dynamic missions for ideas (and other stuff) would be great, but the old system was no better in any of these regards. Hopefully this is something that'll get built on over time; it looks a whole lot more expandable than what we had before.

I think most people just miss the old colonial event that increases growth, that you repeat every time it times out for essentially a permanent increase.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Koramei posted:

Nah, I mean the new missions have anemic rewards for sunset invasions: they're still an improvement.

It's just a lot of the time they're kinda weird. Like, if I want to invade the European lands, I'd maybe prefer to get some claims first rather than being rewarded later. Same with the African missions and the "Take Iberia" / "France" bit

(Why France? Why not Italy?)

Cynic Jester posted:

I think most people just miss the old colonial event that increases growth, that you repeat every time it times out for essentially a permanent increase.
Yeah, that was also really great. Nowadays it's tough to try and match the historical colonizers at all and both of them seem somewhat boosted too

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

RabidWeasel posted:

Does anyone know if forcing a state to give cores back to a 3rd party in a peace treaty also gives them a truce with that 3rd party?

I'm pretty certain it doesn't. Not 100%, but pretty certain.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

I know it's not quite the same thing but I was able to make Bohemia return cores to Russia, while they were fighting Russia in a separate war, which continued as normal. It'd be weird if returning cores gave them a truce but you were still able to do it while they were already fighting.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Fister Roboto posted:

I'm pretty certain it doesn't. Not 100%, but pretty certain.

I actually got round to checking this yesterday and it doesn't.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Cynic Jester posted:

Yeah, there were several really good repeatable missions, and the loss of them definitely makes some nations weaker.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

The Navigator cheevo is probably undoable now lol.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

So, i'm in the midst of my first game in a few years and while I'm mostly having fun, I think they went waaaaaay overboard in the number of plates to keep spinning. I feel like most of my actions aren't really about becoming more powerful or getting a leg up on my rivals, but rather just trying to not get a bunch of awful maluses that will ruin all my work. I kinda just wanna conquer poo poo and have fun, and while I don't want everything I do to be a complete cakewalk, mechanics like separatism require such extended effort it feels like the focus of the game rather than a check on anyone's power.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Kuiperdolin posted:

The Navigator cheevo is probably undoable now lol.

The navigator achievement was before Portugal got the +50 age ability so if you've got that DLC it's still probably net easier.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

I've just started playing this game and played several attempts as castile before getting a run thats worked. What i'd really like to see is that when an ally asks me to come into a war i can make requests, then at the end of the war i get a percentage of the warscore based on my contribution towards the thing i asked for. The numbers are all already in the game.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

If you go into the diplomacy screen, you can go to a tab that shows what provinces a country considers important. If you are on your nation, you can click on provinces to toggle them on. Fabricating a claim will auto put some level onto a province, but I believe if you have indicated that you want a province this way the AI will grant it to you provided you have enough warscore.

Dunno if there is a way to get other things or not. I do wish I had the option to use my favors to opt out of a war instead of taking a diplomacy hit.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Any way to fix this mission tree bug? Reloaded/restarted etc still does this wonky repeating thing.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

ZypherIM posted:

If you go into the diplomacy screen, you can go to a tab that shows what provinces a country considers important. If you are on your nation, you can click on provinces to toggle them on. Fabricating a claim will auto put some level onto a province, but I believe if you have indicated that you want a province this way the AI will grant it to you provided you have enough warscore.

Dunno if there is a way to get other things or not. I do wish I had the option to use my favors to opt out of a war instead of taking a diplomacy hit.

Note that you can only do this if you have the cossacks expansion.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Every single game AI Poland gets coalitiowned right after their Teutonic Order war, they usually take 2-3 provinces and then get dogpiled in a punitive war.

Ottomans instead, eats Hungary whole and not a peep. Is that due to the missions?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Is there a mod or similar for this game that starts every country with one province? Similar to Civ, everyone starts with nothing.

It kind of goes against the idea of the game, I suppose, but I think it would be fun.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I think the years of rice and salt mod was the closest to that, not sure how up to date it is now.

Amhazair
Feb 13, 2012

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Is there a mod or similar for this game that starts every country with one province? Similar to Civ, everyone starts with nothing.

It kind of goes against the idea of the game, I suppose, but I think it would be fun.

One of the earlier versions of the game (I think it was the original EU, but might have been EU2, can't recall for sure) this was the tutorial. And a playable alternate start. Man, was that boring...

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Amhazair posted:

One of the earlier versions of the game (I think it was the original EU, but might have been EU2, can't recall for sure) this was the tutorial. And a playable alternate start. Man, was that boring...
Fantasia was a thing in EU1 and EU2 if I remember correctly. I thought it was a neat way to get a different experience in the game. That was only like a dozen countries in the whole world, starting off as an OPM in the middle of a sea of unclaimed land. I would love a new version of that, actually...

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
EU3 had the dark continent mod where Europe is decolonized. I think it was ported to EU4, but I don't really mod EU4, so who kn9ows.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

reignonyourparade posted:

The navigator achievement was before Portugal got the +50 age ability so if you've got that DLC it's still probably net easier.

Ah, fair. Did not think of that.

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

Admiral Joeslop posted:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=214401869&searchtext=shattered

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Think I just had a Russia save game 175 years in delete itself. Not present on cloud, not in my documents/saves. Definitely frustrating, had just hit the point where I could start beating back the Ottoman menace :emo:

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

You click the "show incompatible games" box?

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Huh, so is there no way to spawn in the Jomsvikings? I tried to create their cores and it, just didn't work. I wanted to try them and Israel on for size :(

On the other hand, Madagascan Finland is going fine, as is Leonese Alaska

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

appropriatemetaphor posted:

You click the "show incompatible games" box?

Yeah, nothing. Super weird

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Who has the best ideas in Japan? I was tempted to pick Oda but those guys closest to Ryukyu seem to have pretty cray military ones

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
If you absolutely just want to be Prussia of The East then Shimazu probably just edges out Oda but Oda is still really really good, and ALSO has core cost reduction.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

The Shimazu dudes look kinda dorky though, like the purplest outfits ever.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Huh, so is there no way to spawn in the Jomsvikings?

They are generated by the converter, they don't exist in Vanilla EU4

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

appropriatemetaphor posted:

The Shimazu dudes look kinda dorky though, like the purplest outfits ever.

It's EU4 not Total War, how do you even notice :confused:

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Wafflecopper posted:

It's EU4 not Total War, how do you even notice :confused:

I don't play zoomed out on speed 5

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
This week's Developer's Diary seems to help Republics a bit.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Looks pretty cool and exactly like something I didn't know I've always wanted.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

it's only 1464

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love

wut

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Is Reformed faith never really managing to hold normal? It's my second game where a Center of Reformation for this faith spawns, converts one province and immediately disappears. Province history log shows that it suddenly converted to Protestant.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's been a problem for a couple of patches now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

what map mod u using mate