Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

exquisite tea posted:

Lightning Returns is no joke my second favorite Final Fantasy game ever, right next to the obvious masterpiece of the series that almost doesn't even need to be mentioned by name, say it with me here people, Mystic Quest.

Couldn’t agree more, definitely the best one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

If I really hated - like really hated FF13 - is it worth trying Lightning Returns? I've got it in my Steam library...

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

glad she is dead posted:

If I really hated - like really hated FF13 - is it worth trying Lightning Returns? I've got it in my Steam library...

That's a difficult question to answer. It really depends on what you hated FF13 for

It's almost entirely unlike FF13 except for some callbacks and characters (who themselves are almost completely different). However the story is insane nonsense (though in a different way from FF13) and it's still heavy on melodrama and goofy cutscenes. It's however almost the polar opposite of FF13 in a lot of ways so if what you hated was the linearity or whatever it might work for you. It is a weird game and incredibly janky so YMMV.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

That's a difficult question to answer. It really depends on what you hated FF13 for

Annoying and whiny anime characters in stupid outfits spouting endless garbage. Like, the absolute worst writing I've ever seen in a game before or since.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Moms are tough. Except against gravity and also teaching your children not to be whiny little bitchbois.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

glad she is dead posted:

Annoying and whiny anime characters in stupid outfits spouting endless garbage. Like, the absolute worst writing I've ever seen in a game before or since.

That's every JRPG

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

glad she is dead posted:

This part hasn't changed, but Lightning hates the endless garbage too.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Also I kind of liked LR's brand of garbage - it's like in it's own clumsy idiot way it was trying to explore the effects of infinite life on humanity and how badly it would break some people and how well some would adapt to it, like the little girl who knows how to cry on cue due to being a child actress, and so in a world where people have become so numb as to feel nothing anymore, she sells her tears as a novelty, with the side effect that she herself has also forgotten how to cry for real, for herself.

Stuff like that I totally bought into and thought was kind of interesting.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Okay I'll be more precise. Are they still going on about falcie and uh, lalcie?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

glad she is dead posted:

They're pretty much all dead by that point IIRC - all that's left is Humanity, Monsters and Bhunivelze. There may be a couple FalC'ie still kicking around but they don't matter.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

glad she is dead posted:

There's one part of the game where they do but it isn't anywhere near the focus. There's a party town which is a party town because it's the last place in the world that has any meaningful supplies because it has the last god and the last l'cie dude protecting it. So it gets mentioned but it isn't the center of the plot.

Mind you the plot is insane bullshit anime melodrama still, it just focuses on names like The Maker instead.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Hard pass.

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

The obscene FFXIII ""lore"" is far from the main focus of the game. It's there if for some reason you're interested in it (is anyone?) but for the most part the story is just Lightning being fed up at everyone around her acting like idiots.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
Lighting Returns is a game where Lightning runs around like an rear end in a top hat making entire species extinct by farming for drops.
I enjoyed it.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

That reminds me of a neat little touch in Red Dead Redemption, where you can actually do that.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

You say that like Extinction isn't a thing in LR - there's a whole sidequest about it.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Yeah, RDR had it for the buffalo as a nod to what was done in real life, but LR lets you do it for every enemy.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

poo poo I thought that was just one of those internet exaggerations for comedy :v:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

It actually plays into the themes of LR, that life is winding down to nothing as nothing new can be born. All humanity will die, not of old age but of violent deaths from some animal that catches them unawares, or accidents/misadventure. Everything in the world will die, so save the souls of who you can.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

My Lovely Horse posted:

That reminds me of a neat little touch in Red Dead Redemption, where you can actually do that.

I’ve read people being like, “getting this achievement made me feel kinda ill”. Don’t murder species on the verge of extinction then, DICK

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

My Lovely Horse posted:

poo poo I thought that was just one of those internet exaggerations for comedy :v:

The way it works in game - is that when there's one enemy left, all the dead souls will pour into the last of its kind to prevent itself from dying off - leading to a purple variant called "the last one".
It will be the only enemy of that type that will show up, and once its dead - the species is gone completely.

There's a quest where you need to kill a certain monster to get tickets. But if its extinct before then, all the tickets will spawn at the quest site for easy completion.

Cactuars were the first to get wiped out for me. Rip prickly dudes.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Can't believe Guardians are worse about knockback than you are.

https://twitter.com/ThisIsTake10/status/981752158281347073

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

codenameFANGIO posted:

I’ve read people being like, “getting this achievement made me feel kinda ill”. Don’t murder species on the verge of extinction then, DICK

“Playing this makes me physically ill” *keeps doing it for achievement* *whines on internet hoping for cred points for caring(lol) about animals*

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Thin Privilege posted:

“Playing this makes me physically ill” *keeps doing it for achievement* *whines on internet hoping for cred points for caring(lol) about animals*

iirc they didn’t know about the achievement but yeah lol

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I did the pacifist route in Undertale then I went to do my genocide route and I had to spend a long time looking at myself in the mirror to see the monster I have become.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.
I'm really bad at taking the Evil rear end in a top hat option in games. I finished Mafia III yesterday, and if you play your cards right, before you go into the last mission your three captains will be fawning over you and how much you did for them, and how they finally found someone they can trust themselves and their community to. When you come back, they are all making plans for the new city you'll build together and you have the option of Ruling Together or killing them all and Ruling Alone and I don't even want to youtube what happens if you take the second option :(

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Samuringa posted:

I'm really bad at taking the Evil rear end in a top hat option in games. I finished Mafia III yesterday, and if you play your cards right, before you go into the last mission your three captains will be fawning over you and how much you did for them, and how they finally found someone they can trust themselves and their community to. When you come back, they are all making plans for the new city you'll build together and you have the option of Ruling Together or killing them all and Ruling Alone and I don't even want to youtube what happens if you take the second option :(

That IS the evil rear end in a top hat option. You could have just walked away.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Samuringa posted:

The priest thinks you’re such an rear end in a top hat if you kill them that he kills you with a carbomb.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.

MrJacobs posted:

That IS the evil rear end in a top hat option. You could have just walked away.

That's the Somewhat Evil But Still Relatable option :colbert:

I also got the feeling that if Lincoln walked away the Commission would get him eventually like they did with Joe.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Samuringa posted:

That's the Somewhat Evil But Still Relatable option :colbert:

I also got the feeling that if Lincoln walked away the Commission would get him eventually like they did with Joe.

Not really its just depressing as gently caress. you chose the proper ending and became worse than those you sought to destroy. Except the whole slavery thing so it evens out. Also Joe was the main mafioso's driver in the last few scenes

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Every time I feel like the Yakuza 0 is about to get stale, they give me a new game mechanic, or substory type, or minigame. And after I explore it, I'm ready to go back to the existing ones anew. It's so, so good.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Something I like about the first Phoenix wright game is that (final case) Damon Gant isn't overly pissed when it comes out that he did all the stuff - he just admits that hey, "I was new to the whole Blackmail/Murder scene and I guess I did a pretty poor job. Well done figuring me out!" That's pretty cute.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

BioEnchanted posted:

Something I like about the first Phoenix wright game is that (final case) Damon Gant isn't overly pissed when it comes out that he did all the stuff - he just admits that hey, "I was new to the whole Blackmail/Murder scene and I guess I did a pretty poor job. Well done figuring me out!" That's pretty cute.

That Dude has some of the best breakdown animations in the series at least

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Leal posted:

I did the pacifist route in Undertale then I went to do my genocide route and I had to spend a long time looking at myself in the mirror to see the monster I have become.

The genocide route made me feel terrible.

Because it doesn't let you kill Alphys.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I'm completely incapable of doing the evil route in video games. I just get such a horrible feeling in the pit of my stomach and I've never managed to finish one. This is not me mugging at the camera over how virtuous I am, this is me pointing out how broke brained I am that I feel bad for pixels to the point where I physically can't do a thing.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Engaging with fiction is not something that needs to explained or defended. If anything it's the people who have to make absolutely sure that you know they didn't let a story get one over on them that are the ones acting out performatively.

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

Agent355 posted:

I'm completely incapable of doing the evil route in video games. I just get such a horrible feeling in the pit of my stomach and I've never managed to finish one. This is not me mugging at the camera over how virtuous I am, this is me pointing out how broke brained I am that I feel bad for pixels to the point where I physically can't do a thing.

You're not alone buddy, many of us that cannot be intentionally evil over extended times in games.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It's hard for me to replay Shadow of the Colossus for that same reason. Beautiful remake though, highly recommended if you were a fan of the original.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Some evil choices in games are extremely hosed up. In the first Knights of the old Republic game, for example, you can have your Wookie character, who has sworn a life debt to you, murder his best friend, a 14 year old Twilek girl. They've been practically family to each other for years, and the only family either one has had for just as long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Agent355 posted:

One of the absolute best decisions they made for the ME series, especially for 2-3 was to even slightly step away from the extremely dumb saccharine good/pantomime villain binary that plagues AAA RPGs. I'm also in the shoes where I pretty rarely ever take the bad guy option, but it isn't helped by the absurdity of games where they offer subtle choices like: save the younglings or slaughter the younglings.

Many Renegade options in the ME games were fun and understandable decisions in the context of the situation/character, rather than "what is the most evil thing possible I could do"? Having a narrative and an established character setup prevents the absurd see-sawing you can do in games where you are handed a blank slate, and to me that is better design.

I still don't think I've played a game where there is an obvious morality system that is implemented ideally. Maybe it exists, but in my head it would make a lot more sense for the best rewards and other goodies to be gated behind evil decisions specifically to make them more comprehensibly moral dilemmas. My experience is that most games actually reward you more for being a goody two-shoes, refusing payment blah blah when it should really be the opposite, and hamstring you.

They probably don't do that because it would seriously incense the most poisonous subset of gamers, but still. Maybe transparent morality systems are a totally outdated concept and they should all be Witcher-esque actions and consequences without any tally that unlocks options further down the line, because that's far more organic and immersive. But even if that's the case, I'd still say ME's system was a pretty good compromise with compelling reasons to choose both sides (sometimes).