Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

mdemone posted:

It's a good thing no scientist would claim that a single factor could be entirely responsible for violent criminality. This entire discussion has been about the degree to which the correlation exists on the population level and is reflective of a causative link on the individual level.

I've been dealing with too many binary thinkers today.

I know. Which is what I have been trying to say. That any conclusions have to be tempered by the reality that it is mixed with dozens of other factors that are much harder to factor, like all studies.

E. Whatever, I dont want to argue anymore, bomb Syria hail satan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

WoodrowSkillson posted:

if they actually wiped out assad's air force it would be an objective good thing.

Depends of if it means we're in open war with Russia.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Caros posted:

Well, my lawyer just got raided. Time to wag the dog and give people something shiny to look at.

trump bombed syria last time they used chemical weapons, and was widely expected to do it again before the cohen arrest came out

it's dumb to come up with conspiracy theories about it

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Wouldn't wiping out the airforce also kind of lead to us downing Russian planes

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Just fire two missiles at the palace, in places Assad is likely not to be, as a warning that we could kill him at any time.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Man, Bolton must be doing a heckuva job to start World War 3 on his second day as NSA.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Ague Proof posted:

Wagged like a dog!

It's not as funny when the country in question isn't Albania. (or, you know, when the "war" isn't completely staged)

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

TheKingofSprings posted:

People literally about to die for a smokescreen made of blood

The whole situation is complicated enough that anything I say could be totally wrong, but I am genuinely concerned about a Kurdish genocide if the US pulls out of Syria. Not that I trust this administration to successfully manage Syrian aggression. The whole thing is incredibly :smith:

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

"Zucker-burger"

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Hollismason posted:

Wouldn't wiping out the airforce also kind of lead to us downing Russian planes

The Russians are not the ones dropping barrel bombs and chemical weapons, those are Assad's guys. The Russians have been performing similar strikes to what the US does to support the SDF, with typical Russian brutality and lack of concern for collateral damage.

Like with the previous strike they warned the Russians to avoid blowing up Russian stuff, they will probably do so again to avoid specifically this.

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
lol blumenthal's staffers holding up giant boards of zuckerberg apology quotes over the years

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I dunno what the response from Russia would be if we blew up a few of their planes.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Okay, well, Ron Wyden is coming for blood.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Uglycat posted:

I like Zuck.

Zuck is a liar who would not have been in this situation if he actually believed any of what he's claiming. Please don't fall for it

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
Well, I guess that explains why Bossert left. Firing the start-gun on what could escalate into full on war, over his lawyer being raided by the FBI, probably a little too much.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I know. Which is what I have been trying to say. That any conclusions have to be tempered by the reality that it is mixed with dozens of other factors that are much harder to factor, like all studies.

no you have been simply botching and incorrectly nitpicking the underlying science on lead poisoning

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

isn't their area of responsibility why Facebook would donate to it

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Revelation 2-13 posted:

Well, I guess that explains why Bossert left. Firing the start-gun on what could escalate into full on war, over his lawyer being raided by the FBI, probably a little too much.

John Bolton was gonna do this anyway

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
https://twitter.com/AliVelshi/status/983780451616743425?s=19

We could get a twofer of war and a massacre today.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lmao

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Senator,

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Oh god, Cruz is on this committee?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
Aaaaand this is where I tune out. A Cruz-less day is a good one.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

I used to think Zuck had a chance but he clearly refused to buy the best makeup artists and my main premise was Zuck would be willing to buy his way to humanity.

Zuck is hosed.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Hollismason posted:

I dunno what the response from Russia would be if we blew up a few of their planes.

Sanctions, condemnation in the UN, escalated fuckery in our sphere of influence, etc.

They are not starting WW3 over Syria unless we actually invade or start blowing up Russians. Even then WW3 is unlikely, but a full blown war in Syria could happen theoretically.

Its extremely unlikely in the age of nukes that the US, Russia, China, or the EU get into a direct conflict on each other's territory. Its still totally possible that they go to war in a "neutral" location since by not threatening the population directly, you can avoid the nuclear option. One side can always just withdraw, no one actually WANTS to blow up each others cities.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

evilweasel posted:

trump bombed syria last time they used chemical weapons, and was widely expected to do it again before the cohen arrest came out

it's dumb to come up with conspiracy theories about it

It is a pretty good argument for why Trump should not currently be president though, as if we needed more of those

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
lol, is he trying to trap Zuck into admitting they are silencing conservative voices on facebook?

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Chilichimp posted:

lol, is he trying to trap Zuck into admitting they are silencing conservative voices on facebook?

LOL HE IS! HE'S TRYING TO LOLOLOLOOLLOLOL

I'm dying

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Sanctions, condemnation in the UN, escalated fuckery in our sphere of influence, etc.

They are not starting WW3 over Syria unless we actually invade or start blowing up Russians. Even then WW3 is unlikely, but a full blown war in Syria could happen theoretically.

Its extremely unlikely in the age of nukes that the US, Russia, China, or the EU get into a direct conflict on each other's territory. Its still totally possible that they go to war in a "neutral" location since by not threatening the population directly, you can avoid the nuclear option. One side can always just withdraw, no one actually WANTS to blow up each others cities.

MATTHEWS: OK. The trouble is, when you said that, the whole world heard it. David Cameron in Britain heard it. The Japanese, where we bombed them in 45, heard it. They`re hearing a guy running for president of the United States talking of maybe using nuclear weapons. Nobody wants to hear that about an American president.

TRUMP: Then why are we making them? Why do we make them?

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

Revelation 2-13 posted:

bossert didn't choose to leave
https://mobile.twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/983786715319070720

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Chilichimp posted:

I'm so

so

sooooooooooo

sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

tired of listening to these ~loving REPUBLICANS~ sucking this guy's dick with long, irrelevant anecdotes. These Senators do not loving have the expertise to ask this man a goddamn thing... he's just spewing corporate speak at them and they're fine with it.

Everyone knew that this whole thing was going to be a joke, so it's your fault if you started watching it with different expectations.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

WoodrowSkillson posted:

the issue i see is that putin's power is largely based on nationalistic prestige and he might feel compelled to do something dumb to retaliate. that's the main worry, a russian jet gets hit by a missile aimed at a syrian base, so russia tries to deliberately shoot down a us jet, which reacts violently to the idea, etc etc

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/375609403376144384

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Chilichimp posted:

Ted Cruz, the only living creature who can make Mark Zuckerberg look like a human being, worthy of sympathy.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

WoodrowSkillson posted:

no one actually WANTS to blow up each others cities.

Trump is on record saying he we should use more Nuclear weapons, asked why US military personnel did not bomb families of suspected terrorists, and asked the question on live TV of why don't we use our nuclear arsenal more?

The man DEFINITELY wants to see some blown up cities.

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug
Hes going to start a war and use the media cover to fire Mueller isn't he?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Y'all do realize that once Kelly is out, Bolton runs the White House, regardless of his title, right?

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

evilweasel posted:

the issue i see is that putin's power is largely based on nationalistic prestige and he might feel compelled to do something dumb to retaliate. that's the main worry, a russian jet gets hit by a missile aimed at a syrian base, so russia tries to deliberately shoot down a us jet, which reacts violently to the idea, etc etc

You mean like a Russian jet that’s parked on the ground right? It’s very unlikely that a flying jet gets hit by accident with a cruise missile.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

https://twitter.com/FullFrontalSamB/status/983801811596468226

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Bicyclops posted:

Ted Cruz, the only living creature who can make Mark Zuckerberg look like a human being, worthy of sympathy.

My eyes have rolled so far that they're already on a plane to DC to kick Cruz's rear end.

• Locked thread