Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

The synth poo poo is to do with laptops and synths being full range sound sources. Ie a guitar is a mids instrument no matter what. If the synth patch you use for sound check is a trebly lead, then the next one (that you didnt soundcheck) is a bass, the sound guy is gonna have you eq'd all wrong.

The solution is byo soundguy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Soundguys only understand guitar amps and snare. They will tolerate bass and kick drum, but beyond that forget it

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Snowy posted:

This video rules and Doyle is pretty funny. He doesn't know any songs besides Misfits, is embarrassed to play in front of anyone without distortion, and his most important piece of gear is band-aids. The cool part is he actually builds poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFTd_Q45xX0

The craziest thing about Doyle is he's in his loving 50s, how does he look so god drat good?

fartzone_42069
Oct 11, 2009

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Would for a space age lounge act.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

s.i.r.e. posted:

The craziest thing about Doyle is he's in his loving 50s, how does he look so god drat good?

He's been working out every single day since he was a kid.
Also he's a vegan now ever since he started dating the chick from Arch Enemy.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Please tell me the headstock is arrowhead shaped.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Would totally play jams like this on something like that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOb5lFMwOyI&t=480s

fartzone_42069
Oct 11, 2009

Anime Reference posted:

Please tell me the headstock is arrowhead shaped.

It came up on my Facebook marketplace ($500). That's the only picture. I'd have to act interested to get more pictures.

I definitely want to to see the headstock. No matter what, it probably fits the "Stupid Music poo poo" spirit.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Thumposaurus posted:

He's been working out every single day since he was a kid.
Also he's a vegan now ever since he started dating the chick from Arch Enemy.

holy poo poo that’s a dangerous hot couple

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Kilometers Davis posted:

holy poo poo that’s a dangerous hot couple

yeah vegan farts are a violation of the geneva conventions

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Doyle posted:

She had come to visit me in New York City and I had to get her back on a plane to get her back on tour. We were starving and running around trying to get back to the airport and she said "if we can't find me something to eat, we’ll find something for you to eat." I told her "gently caress that I will never ever eat something in front of you that bothers you or disrespect you in any way ever!"

lmao I love them

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

NonzeroCircle posted:

Ok so this is stupid music poo poo but not in a gear way:

Just saw Doyle (Misfits guitarist) play a set (no Misfits songs, his music is a hybrid of bad pantera and the 50s inspired swingy stuff that any sane person skips on actual Misfits records), the venue got downgraded from a 400+ capacity club to a 120ish capacity pub instead due to lack of sales. He's offering a 'VIP' package for £40 where you can meet him and get a signed photograph, as soon as the set was over he beelined back to his bus making zero eye contact with anyone. One of the support bands had a table with a dummy and a fake chainsaw that made the smoke alarms go off with its petrol fumes.

Was this in Dundee and does your name start with a B? Because I know someone who very recently complained about exactly the same thing.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Nope, Plymouth, other end of the country, thats amazing it happened all the way up there too. There were a few people waiting for the meet and greet by the bus.

Edit: my friends who were supporting for this date were jokingly offering meet and greets for £30, no takers but they sold a bunch of merch which was cool.

NonzeroCircle fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Apr 7, 2018

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
This is what he posted about the gig in Dundee:

quote:

DOYLE "(EX-MISFITS" in Dundee.

Well Dundonian Punk Facebook is fartin' on aboot last nights' gig so here's my esteemed opinions.

- Band sucked. As Andy Eddies put it, 'second or third rate metal'.
- No Misfits songs. The Euro tour was marketed as Doyle Ex-Misfits with the iconic and now ubiquitous Fiend skull used too... urk!!
He was never the vocalist or front man and besides, I'd heard fae Ant that the Brum gig had none of the golden oldies, so I was expecting that.
- I see that it follows that you'd put "Doyle (Ex-Misfits)" on the promo. He was in the Misfits, it's a fact. When in summer 2014 I was approached to put on Paranoid Visions with Steve Ignorant you bet your loving gleuteus I was tacking on "EX-loving-CRASS!" at the end of it. Did I disappoint anyone turning up to hear "So What" or "Shaved Women"? I really hope not, and I think not. It was all very well covered that it was PV songs with guest vocalist. I didn't use the Crass symbol on the promotion, and PV was in bigger font type than SI's name. You decide if last night's gig was false adv'ing/slightly misleading/totes kosh.
- VIP package incl a meet-and-grunt with Doyle, who did not say a word during the set, was £45. Punk or what?! But if you forked oot for that, I hope you enjoyed yersel. If I had it, I'd plough that £45 into four or five other gigs.
- Biggest gig in the DIY collective DMC's history so far. This wasn't big money bigwigs from elsewhere but local metallers taking a punt. Good on them!
- The vocalist appears to be trapped in a nightmarish world of trying to get crowd riled up - for his sucky metal band - boredly insulting and bashing the crowd - then reacting even more bombastically when the bored crowd want a song that doesn't suck (like a Misfits song!?! QED)
- The vocalist's best bit was by far when he didn't speak in between songs. (I've seen Captain Sensible's stage chat this year and I would love to listen to it ten times more than matey boy. AND THAT'S SAYING SOMETHIN!)
- Amazed that the vocalist was able to utter that [Scots] "speak that Caveman English", in the VERY Scots-speaking city of Dundee and nae haein ees heid an ees hands tae play wi :D

As a lifelong bidialectical & keen linguist I can point out that his Southern US speech is even more, er, relaxed than ours... not to mention inflected with Scotticisms! I didn't remonstrate gently caress all with him on the night, left it at "SOOK MA SHITE YE PRICK"
- The Eddies were the band of the night and no mistake.
- Ended up speaking to a law student about torts/delicts, and in thirst, getting signed in to Dundee Uni student union. We were given 30 mins to buy and finish drinks. 30! Two police were stationed at the smoking area, which was just fuckin bizarre. Which was the shitter atmosphere? Church during Doyle or the SU, pre-'ladyboys' 1am show? gently caress knows! We hosed off sharpish!

Back to Church in an hour for some olde-style Anglo Saxon-uttering folk metal - and deathened black, blackened death, black plague metal, whatever - and to see my old bandmate tear it up in DREKAVAC. Mon Ash Obscenities!

Gig #15 of the year as the first 3 months end - how's that for neatness?

A different view of the not-the-Doyle-show? Any questions? Slam them below, faster than the lead balloon that was the last band's set last night...

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

The Muppets On PCP posted:

yeah vegan farts are a violation of the geneva conventions

Only registered members can see post attachments!

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

quote:

- Amazed that the vocalist was able to utter that [Scots] "speak that Caveman English", in the VERY Scots-speaking city of Dundee and nae haein ees heid an ees hands tae play wi

What? Can someone translate please.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Not having his head and his hands to play with. Mum's from Edinburgh, I can read Scottish but not understand underlying meaning. SOOK MAH SHITE YE PRICK is self explanatory though

NonzeroCircle fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Apr 8, 2018

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
Came across these guys on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrUQ9wDh2fE

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

If I wanted to see 50-year-olds rip off Primus I'd watch the actual Primus.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I mean I can't think of anything more repugnant than late 80s "Funk-Punk" and this is a grim reminder.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

Came across these guys on Youtube:

one of them definitely manages a vape shop

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

s.i.r.e. posted:

I'm slowly realizing that this thread is less about stupid music poo poo and surfboard guitars and more about our collective enjoyment of really loving weird-rear end designs.

Shhhhh that's supposed to be a secret! Who the gently caress taught you the handshake* to get in here?

*Its a normal handshake only a pick falls out of your hand mid shake and magically disappears once it hits the floor.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
Mudvayne jazz fusion filmed like a state fair performance. I can only assume this is because they know their audience is Midwestern nu metal dads.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I like that they dragged their pedal boards and powerstrips out into a field and then didn't bother to fake some drum mics

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
March Of The Cephalopods is the B side to Behold The Arctopus right?

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

no lie, i completely thought those arctopus dorks got haircuts and a drummer until i saw the mudvayne talk in the youtube comments. i guess it's kind of a monkey/typewriter situation where if you have two terrible bands noodle enough notes eventually they write the same bad song

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

I always love being reminded about these guys and laughing at their dorky as poo poo video and terrible music.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I remember years back BTA responded to someone saying their music is random poo poo with a like 10 paragraph breakdown of the structure and theory of one of their songs. It was the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever seen.

They are extremely talented musicians though, I won’t lie.

Gorewar
Dec 24, 2004

Bang your head
For what it's worth, the guy who played the chapman stick in BTA is a really good mastering engineer nowadays

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Gorewar posted:

For what it's worth, the guy who played the chapman stick in BTA is a really good mastering engineer nowadays

He's also in Krallice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTQHlkwZ_pc

Years Past Matter is their best album, the new ones are kinda more experimental than black metal

Luna
May 31, 2001

A hand full of seeds and a mouthful of dirt

Kilometers Davis posted:

Yeah that terrifies but I love gold hardware

Been thinking about whether I want one of these or not

:swoon:

I have the same guitar with black hardware and it is my goto guitar. It keeps my strat, tele and Charvel 475 in their cases. You need to get it.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Gorewar posted:

Colin Marston is a loving legit dude and I absolutely loved what he did both as a bass player and as a recording/mastering engineer for the latest 2 Gorguts records.

fartzone_42069
Oct 11, 2009

It's stupid music poo poo to not buy this right?

When was the last time $20 turned you into a total badass?

That amp and my Boss HM-2. Hahahahah.

PTSDeedly Do
Nov 24, 2014

VOID-DOME LOSER 2020

I don’t know if this guy is stupid music poo poo but I don’t know what else he would be:

https://youtu.be/C98utqSisuM

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

field balm posted:

The synth poo poo is to do with laptops and synths being full range sound sources. Ie a guitar is a mids instrument no matter what. If the synth patch you use for sound check is a trebly lead, then the next one (that you didnt soundcheck) is a bass, the sound guy is gonna have you eq'd all wrong.

The solution is byo soundguy.

If you have a soundcard with multiple outs or multiple snyths it might be a good idea to send all your poo poo to different outputs. i.e one line for bass and one output for pads etc.

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Not really the best actuary in the world.

PTSDeedly Do posted:

I don’t know if this guy is stupid music poo poo but I don’t know what else he would be:

https://youtu.be/C98utqSisuM

That is the funniest thing I've seen in a while, holy poo poo

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Inspirational

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
I was convinced that maple fretboards on Les Pauls were inherently stupid music poo poo but I might have actually been wrong? This look almost works for me.

They really should have replaced the inlays with black ones, though.