Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

the success of science in effecting an incremental improvement in a vast array of areas over the past 100 years has lead the current discourse to the view that science is what makes academic work, or thinking in general, good, where it actually is a method with extremely limited applicability. we have in the past already seen the issue in the areas of race biology, and a lot of almost as lovely things going on in the views on psychology and treatment of mental illness, but it is now ingrained enough that it is hard to even have a conversation about

also: trump is the most scientific president, as we have not previously run an experiment checking how having an idiot running the free world would work out, nor, in particular, verified the hypothesis that universal death in nuclear hellfire may have a positive effect on the rates of teen pregnancy

ppl itt apparently have very weird misconceptions about what science is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
if only there was some kind of online encyclopaedia we could turn to to solve this mystery

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

~*fartz*~

science, imo

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eggplant_run

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Chopper Dave may refer to:
  • a minor character in the animated TV series Sealab 2021
  • a minor character in the TV series Frasier

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

prefect posted:

Chopper Dave may refer to:
  • a minor character in the animated TV series Sealab 2021
  • a minor character in the TV series Frasier

lol

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
Although he agrees that it would take a force of about 3,000 newtons to push over a standing cow, biologist Steven Vogel thinks that the study by Lillie and Boechler overestimates the pushing ability of an individual human.[10] Using data from Cotterell and Kamminga, who estimated that humans exert a pushing force of 280 newtons,[11] Vogel suggests that someone applying force at the requisite height to topple a cow might generate a maximum push of no more than 300 newtons. By this calculation, at least 10 people would be needed to tip over a non-reacting cow.

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

The song tells the story, in oblique terms, of a nightlight with the appearance of a blue canary, from the point of view of the nightlight itself. The summation of its opening statements ("I'm your only friend; I'm not your only friend, but I'm a little glowing friend, but really I'm not actually your friend; but I am") reveals that while it is not really a friend in the traditional sense of the word, its job as a nocturnal protector of its owner (the listener) makes it their only friend while they sleep. It asks the listener to make a birdhouse (being a safe place for something small and vulnerable) for the light it creates in their mind and soul.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

CommunistPancake posted:

The song tells the story, in oblique terms, of a nightlight with the appearance of a blue canary, from the point of view of the nightlight itself. The summation of its opening statements ("I'm your only friend; I'm not your only friend, but I'm a little glowing friend, but really I'm not actually your friend; but I am") reveals that while it is not really a friend in the traditional sense of the word, its job as a nocturnal protector of its owner (the listener) makes it their only friend while they sleep. It asks the listener to make a birdhouse (being a safe place for something small and vulnerable) for the light it creates in their mind and soul.

I had to check and this is the only TMBG song that confounds whoever wrote the article

Ana Ng? Nah bro, I got that poo poo on lock

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Apr 8, 2018

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

RZApublican posted:

I had to check and this is the only TMBG song that confounds whoever wrote the article

i don't know if this was the original bridge, but there was a bridge in northampton that had "i don't want the world; i just want your half" spray-painted on it. i liked to imagine it was the original :allears:

poo poo, now i just wanna listen to they might be giants.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
"your racist friend" is a good song for 2018

so is "kiss me son of god"

no guarantees these are the actual titles

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

George posted:

"your racist friend" is a good song for 2018

so is "kiss me son of god"

no guarantees these are the actual titles

unsurprisingly, they are

well, aside from a comma after the word "me" in the second :v:

i'd also like to nominate all twelve seconds of "Everything Is Catching On Fire" as a good song for probably every year until 2021

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Apr 9, 2018

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

RZApublican posted:

i would appreciate the deets on spiraling shape, tia

Farmdizzle
May 26, 2009

Hagel satan
Grimey Drawer

CommunistPancake posted:

not to put too fine a point on it

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

syscall girl posted:

i would appreciate the deets on spiraling shape, tia

wikipedia has no idea and genius.com only has one

quote:

The song is about hype, and how easily people buy into it. What the spiraling shape is doesn’t really matter, because people are so excited about it that they’re singing its praises before even experiencing it or even knowing what it is. You can’t even really explain why you love it or why you’re excited about it, because you’re so overwhelmed with the need to be part of the masses who love it that it becomes impossible to look at it objectively. The narrative reads like the spiraling shape is sort of a side show attraction that word’s gotten around about. It sounds like the sort of thing where you have to go and pay an admission and wait in a line for a while before finally being allowed in to the special little room where you can finally experience the thing that everyone’s been raving about. But will it live up to the hype? Will it mean as much to you as you thought it would? Will you even be able to tell if your feelings for it are genuine or if they’re tainted by the desire to experience it the same way everyone else does? Will you regret getting so worked up about it? If you don’t love it as much as you thought you would, will you have to admit how silly this all is?

songmeanings.com surprisingly tries pretty hard

get on point, wikipedia

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Apr 9, 2018

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

RZApublican posted:

get on point, wikipedia

it did make quite a stir when it was released

quote:

An invention by a noted inventor Dean Kamen, continues to generate excitement and mystery. "IT", is supposedly so extraordinary, that it has drawn the attention of technology visionaries and the investment dollars of pre-eminent venture capitalists.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

RZApublican posted:

get on point, wikipedia
step up your game

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
i went to a tmbg concert with a goon a year or two ago and i was the only person under 30

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
my sister went to one and said that it had the most star trek and doctor who shirts she'd seen in one place

she's been to a comic convention

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Sham bam bamina! posted:

my sister went to one and said that it had the most star trek and doctor who shirts she'd seen in one place

there's a star trek reference in that link you posted too :ohdear:

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

oh god, i've been so blind :smith:

on a better note, tmbg are still doing dial-a-song

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lol loving australians

quote:

As of 2005 VB also comes in 500 ml tinnies ("Lunch Greens"), which are commonly drunk by trade workers on lunch, being just enough to quench their thirst.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victoria_Bitter

no citation needed coz u know its true

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

echinopsis posted:

lol loving australians

there are 6 different sizes with 6 different shorthand nicknames and they are all delightful

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

echinopsis posted:

lol loving australians

Currently[when?] one third of the packaged beer sales in Australia are of VB. It is available in tinnies ("375 mL cans"), stubbies ("short-necked 375 mL bottles"), Long Necks ("750 mL bottles") and "Twisties", "Throwies" (slang for "Throwdowns", because they are generally consumed within a short period of time) or "Grenades" (250 ml bottles).

the quotes are supposed to go around "tinnies", "stubbies", et cetera. not around the actual descriptions of the things

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Sham bam bamina! posted:

what's her username

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
it's more a matter of how much exposure nerd poo poo gets now than of any gooniness on her part, grok the zeitgeist

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
i would not slander my good sister by associating her in any way with this place

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
went to a tmbg concert recently, it was cool. that's my story

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

they have to tell parents to not to bring their five year olds to their shows at 10pm 18+ concert venues now

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

haveblue posted:

went to a tmbg concert recently, it was cool. that's my story

i used to go see them whenever they were in the neighborhood. i'd never actually heard edgar winter's "frankenstein" before :blush:

but one time i went to see them and noticed i was distinctly older than everybody else at the show, and decided i should probably stay away from then on

(it was still a good show other than that. i think it was one where frank black opened for them, and by the end of his performance he was wearing at least seven different guitars)

prefect fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Apr 9, 2018

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

prefect posted:

but one time i went to see them and noticed i was distinctly older than everybody else at the show, and decided i should probably stay away from then on

gently caress that, be who you are and let the kids think what they think

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Trig Discipline posted:

gently caress that, be who you are and let the kids think what they think

no, i think it's worked out great. by doing my damndest to avoid being the creepy/ugly/old weirdo that other people are disturbed by, i've reached the point where i don't leave my apartment except for work and crucial shopping, like going to the pharmacy at five in the morning, or the grocery store right when they open, when there are as few people as possible :thumbsup:

i used to be autistically unaware of what other people thought of me; i've managed to do a complete 180 on that front

prefect fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Apr 9, 2018

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Politically Correct Bedtime Stories: Modern Tales for Our Life and Times is a 1994 book written by American writer James Finn Garner, in which Garner satirizes the trend toward political correctness and censorship of children's literature, with an emphasis on humour and parody.[1] The bulk of the book consists of fairy tales such as Little Red Riding Hood, the Three Little Pigs and Snow White, rewritten so that they supposedly represent what a "politically correct" adult would consider a good and moral tale for children.

The revisions include extensive usage of politically correct buzzwords (and parodies thereof), deliberately stiff moralizing dialogue and narration, inclusion of modern concepts and objects (such as health spas, mineral water, and automobiles), and often feature a plot twist that reverses the roles of the heroes and villains of the story (for example, the woodsman in Little Red Riding Hood is seen by Red Riding Hood not as a heroic saviour but as a "sexist" and "speciesist" interloper, and Snow White's evil stepmother ends up with a positive portrayal while the prince and the seven dwarves are portrayed as chauvinistic).

Politically Correct Bedtime Stories was Garner's first published book (or, in the words of his similarly satirical biography blurb from the book, "his first processed tree carcass"). More than 2.5 million copies have been sold in the United States and it has since been translated into 20 languages. Garner wrote two follow-up books: Once upon a More Enlightened Time: More Politically Correct Bedtime Stories[2] and Politically Correct Holiday Stories: For an Enlightened Yuletide Season,[3] the latter book satirizing political correctness during the Christmas holiday season. In 1998, the three books were compiled into an omnibus collection called Politically Correct, the Ultimate Storybook.[4] All editions of the Politically Correct titles are currently out of print.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

prefect posted:

no, i think it's worked out great. by doing my damndest to avoid being the creepy/ugly/old weirdo that other people are disturbed by, i've reached the point where i don't leave my apartment except for work and crucial shopping, like going to the pharmacy at five in the morning, or the grocery store right when they open, when there are as few people as possible :thumbsup:

i used to be autistically unaware of what other people thought of me; i've managed to do a complete 180 on that front

:stare:

well that's depressing

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
prefect have you considered therapy? that is not a healthy self-image. you're allowed to exist and be over the age of 40, nobody in the world gives a poo poo about how "creepy" or "ugly" you can imagine yourself to be.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

“living in a black hole.jpg”

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

well, the truth is that old people dont exist in the minds of young so it doesnt matter what you look like once you get old enough

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Sham bam bamina! posted:

prefect have you considered therapy? that is not a healthy self-image. you're allowed to exist and be over the age of 40, nobody in the world gives a poo poo about how "creepy" or "ugly" you can imagine yourself to be.

i am in therapy, and am also on two antidepressants. you should see what i'm like when i get really depressed :D

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
:smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

trust me even if you are being actively treated for depression some days just loving suck no matter what you do

half of therapy is learning to live despite the bad times in my experience, rather than trying to stop or cure them