Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Its definitely not worth trying to use PSVR on PC seriously. Its a pain in the rear end to set up and it will never work as well as a native PC headset. If you want to buy it for PSVR games its fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Ehhhh you need a third. Anything less than awesome tracking sucks.

At this point I would probably advise a Vive for my more casual friends (who somehow own a beefy PC) because it's a little bit less of a pain in the rear end, and a Rift for people willing to deal with a little more finicky tracking solution due to superior controllers. They're both fine, get either and be happy.

Ugh I really don't feel like going down the Skyrim mod rabbit hole again but I guess I will for VR.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

CodfishCartographer posted:

Is the PSVR just not even worth bothering to try on PC then? Obviously it's not ideal, but there are exclusives on both platforms I'm interested in playing, so if I could pass with just a PSVR for now until buying a second headset is more feasible that would be ideal. Price isn't that big of an issue, the vive isn't so much more expensive that I wouldn't be able to pick it up. That being said, the rift is cheaper anyways, so I'll have to think about that too. I've heard the graphical quality of the rift is a little less than the vive due to some screendooring, is that just console headset war bullshit or is it actually a concern?

What's the stats on your computer? You need a pretty strong computer GPU and CPU to effectively play VR. I wouldn't worry about any exclusives, I looked at a PSVR list and didn't see much. The only current PSVR exclusive that people have said much (positive) about is RE7 and Polybious.

The optics of Rift and non-pro Vive are nearly identical they have the same res, nearly the same Field of View, about the same color and screen door.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Enos Cabell posted:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but you cannot use PSVR on the PC.

There is a program that can trick your PC into thinking the PSVR is a vive, but apparently it’s so janky to not be worth trying! Thanks for the help folks.

Stick100 posted:

What's the stats on your computer? You need a pretty strong computer GPU and CPU to effectively play VR. I wouldn't worry about any exclusives, I looked at a PSVR list and didn't see much. The only current PSVR exclusive that people have said much (positive) about is RE7 and Polybious.

The optics of Rift and non-pro Vive are nearly identical they have the same res, nearly the same Field of View, about the same color and screen door.

I actually can’t remember my desktop specs off the top of my head, I’ll check later tonight and check back with the thread. It was fairly powerful 3-4 years ago, not dual-GPU-watercooled-top-of-the-line sort of powerful, but about as strong as you could get for about $1200ish. I also have a laptop I bought earlier this year with a 4GB GTX 1050, 8gb RAM, and an i5.

CodfishCartographer fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Apr 10, 2018

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

I actually can’t remember my desktop specs off the top of my head, I’ll check later tonight and check back with the thread. It was fairly powerful 3-4 years ago, not dual-GPU-watercooled-top-of-the-line sort of powerful, but about as strong as you could get for about $1200ish. I also have a laptop I bought earlier this year with a 4GB GTX 1050, 8gb RAM, and an i5.

So long as you have a 1060ish or better, the experience will be good.

AndrewP posted:

Ehhhh you need a third. Anything less than awesome tracking sucks.

At this point I would probably advise a Vive for my more casual friends (who somehow own a beefy PC) because it's a little bit less of a pain in the rear end, and a Rift for people willing to deal with a little more finicky tracking solution due to superior controllers. They're both fine, get either and be happy.

Ugh I really don't feel like going down the Skyrim mod rabbit hole again but I guess I will for VR.

Again I disagree. Customer service is better and the Rift is a better consumer product. Period. Normally I'm pretty "Imo" about this stuff, but purely based on warranty, comfort, setup, and price. Rift wins.

Sky Shadowing posted:

You don't need a 3rd camera to get serviceable 360 tracking, but it certainly does help. Wait and see if its needed and then buy it if you do.

This is also 100% true. I ran 2 camera 360 for a while and other than going prone, I had no major issues.

Stick100 posted:

Now that the Vive is $499 it's not a clear default anymore. From pictures, it looks like the new Vive should come with a rigid headstrap (although I've seen no confirmation). If the Vive has a rigid headstrap at $499 and Rift plus touch is $399 I'd say they are a similar value proposition.

Many people don't have sufficient USB, and to get good 360 tracking on Rift is comes to $470 anyway.

Both Rift and Vive are great, don't get PSVR if you want to do anything on your PC.

For the exact same price as the vive WITHOUT the DAS you can get a rift, a second set of controllers, and a third camera. Rift is still a no brainer.

With all that said.

If you have interest in vive trackers, and all that kind of stuff, then you MAY consider the vive. But since you're talking about buying console VR, uh, Rift. easily.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Stick100 posted:

The optics sweet spot is larger on the rift at the expense of more god rays. It’s mostly negligible really.

What isn’t though is the controllers. Compared to the Oculus Touch controllers the Vive controllers are crap in comparison.

A couple of key points

1: Better battery life AND swappable batteries.
Vive gets several hours of battery life whereas the Touch gets 30ish. Vive has to be recharged which takes a while whereas the Touch takes seconds to swap in another rechargeable AA.

2: better ergonomics and more buttons.
Seriously the touch controllers just melt into your hand, don’t have a crappy touchpad, don’t have a horrendous grip button, and have more face buttons.

3: much more durable.
Nearly every single Vive user I know that plays a lot (near 1000 hours) has had to repair the wants themselves or outright replace / RMA them. Dealing with HTC on this is so bad it’s almost class action lawsuit worthy, and buying replacements is hilariously expensive.
The common problems are snapping the donuts off, but with the way they are constructed there isn’t permanent damage done and they are easily repaired and the ribbon cable reconnected, unless you start to damage / alter the calibration of the sensors
The other problem is the touchpad loses responsiveness around the edges or the button clicky part of it gets less clicky or stops working.

About the only real advantage the Vive wands have going for them is that they are symmetrical so they can be worked in either hand and the handles are slightly more shaped like a pistol grip or sword handle, but I find this to not really matter a ton.

Based on this reason alone I would say the Rift is a clear cut winner right now over the OG Vive even at price parity.
The Lighthouse system is probably better overall, but right now it’s a trade off of slightly larger tracking area (Vive) over slightly less occlusion due to more sensors (3 or 4 with Rift).
Now, LH2 solves the latter problem by supporting more sensors instead of just two AND might make them less expensive than they currently are. If a bunch of good VR controllers were out there letting people pick the best ones for them the Vive might be a bit more compelling but it’s just not there.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Oh man, had my afternoon all blocked off and hyped up for some Skyrim, everything seems to have loaded and launched up OK (hifive again for the help!), but I went straight for the free movement options after not touching VR for a while and now I've got the woozies after 45 minutes. May have to make a store run to find some ginger candy cause I just have another day and a half of free time, and Skyrim and Payday on the plate. Any quick suggestions on turning in Skyrim, maybe especially to the left, being really choppy? Snap rotation is off.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Set up 360 degree roomscale so you can turn normally, I've never found artificial rotation to be comfortable.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

People hate on snap turning but I'm a fan. I think it helps with motion sickness while allowing some convenience when I don't want to have to spin in circles and wrap my cord up.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

teh_Broseph posted:

Oh man, had my afternoon all blocked off and hyped up for some Skyrim, everything seems to have loaded and launched up OK (hifive again for the help!), but I went straight for the free movement options after not touching VR for a while and now I've got the woozies after 45 minutes. May have to make a store run to find some ginger candy cause I just have another day and a half of free time, and Skyrim and Payday on the plate. Any quick suggestions on turning in Skyrim, maybe especially to the left, being really choppy? Snap rotation is off.
There's a known issue that was reported to the devs about it, someone thinks they've found a solution so try adding this to the ini

[HAVOK]
fMaxTime=0.01111

there's also people who suggest turning dynamic resolution back on, lots of people are having issues with it on reddit, you're not alone. I personally switched to teleport, increased the teleport distance, and enabled snap turning because I was having issues myself.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

AndrewP posted:

People hate on snap turning but I'm a fan. I think it helps with motion sickness while allowing some convenience when I don't want to have to spin in circles and wrap my cord up.

I use it partly myself. And I’m on a 4 sensor setup.

I don’t get the hate, it works great for short turns so I don’t haaaaave to turn. Might be feeling lazy, works great! Or if I’m already aiming and need to turn a chunk. Great!

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Bhodi posted:

AFIAK the only exclusive that's worth playing on PS4 right now is moss. RE7's exclusivity window is about to expire and they just released a giant patch for PC that people suspect adds in the VR support backend and they just need to flip a switch when they hit 1 year. Other games like thumper and rez you can get on the PC.

You have a source on that Resi info? That would be cool but I thought the 1 year expired a month or so ago.

Also I would loooooove to have Wipeout VR on PC...

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

You should run the Rift and SteamVR VR checking software to make sure you pass. If your desktop was pretty powerful 3-4 years ago it's about 50-50 that it's good enough. Your laptop is also very borderline from what you've described. Even if your computers are "VR Ready" you'll still be locked out of some experiences like Fallout 4 VR. Fallout 4 VR hardly runs on my GTX 1080.

Also keep in mind to use the Rift you need 4 extra USB ports and HDIM/Displayport so that's probably an issue for your laptop. They don't all need to be USB3.

The Vive only needs one USB2 usb port and HDIM/Displayport.

I'd suggest only getting a setup you can keep hooked up all the time, any additional steps require to use VR will cause you to use it less.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Stick100 posted:

You should run the Rift and SteamVR VR checking software to make sure you pass. If your desktop was pretty powerful 3-4 years ago it's about 50-50 that it's good enough. Your laptop is also very borderline from what you've described. Even if your computers are "VR Ready" you'll still be locked out of some experiences like Fallout 4 VR. Fallout 4 VR hardly runs on my GTX 1080.

Also keep in mind to use the Rift you need 4 extra USB ports and HDIM/Displayport so that's probably an issue for your laptop. They don't all need to be USB3.

The Vive only needs one USB2 usb port and HDIM/Displayport.

I'd suggest only getting a setup you can keep hooked up all the time, any additional steps require to use VR will cause you to use it less.

Ah, thanks for the info! My laptop has hdmi and a USB3 port, but don't think it has 4 of them. My desktop won't be a problem for either, but that's assuming it can run it at all. Might be worth going for a newer GPU that's still a few years old so hopefully it won't be too marked up from crypto farming.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I'm pretty resilient to VR-wooziness, but smooth turning in Skyrim is pretty tough to deal with for me. Smooth movement is fine, but smooth turning with the thumbstick (on Rift) is really bad.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
did you disable the gamepad in the ini? that fixes the stuttering if that's the issue you're having

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
so how exactly does Windows Mixed Reality work with the Oculus/Vive ecosystems? i'm aware that there's a bunch of WMR apps that you can get from the Windows Store, but I'm also aware that it interfaces with SteamVR somehow.

are the WMR controllers serviceable for SteamVR games or is it prudent to get Oculus Touch or Vive controls to go with a headset? is the latter even possible?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

so how exactly does Windows Mixed Reality work with the Oculus/Vive ecosystems? i'm aware that there's a bunch of WMR apps that you can get from the Windows Store, but I'm also aware that it interfaces with SteamVR somehow.

are the WMR controllers serviceable for SteamVR games or is it prudent to get Oculus Touch or Vive controls to go with a headset? is the latter even possible?

The controllers suck but there's an app on Steam that lets you use it with all the SteamVR stuff, and then you can go full turducken and install ReVive on top of that so you can play Oculus stuff.

The controllers do suck real bad though. You also can't mix them.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

The Walrus posted:

You have a source on that Resi info? That would be cool but I thought the 1 year expired a month or so ago.

Also I would loooooove to have Wipeout VR on PC...
nope just the rumor mill

poo poo i forgot about wipeout vr. you can still play in dolphin, probably!

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

It works fine.
Games for vive/rift tend to side vive side for controls if theres no actual WMR support.

I did a review not long ago, basically if the IPD was adjustable to my size, I'd of kept my dell. It was a cool VR exp for 200 bucks.

I would NOT pay samsung 400 bucks for one though. The controllers are poo poo enough that for equal money its kinda dumb to go WMR.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

EbolaIvory posted:

I did a review not long ago, basically if the IPD was adjustable to my size, I'd of kept my dell. It was a cool VR exp for 200 bucks.

I would NOT pay samsung 400 bucks for one though. The controllers are poo poo enough that for equal money its kinda dumb to go WMR.

yeah, I'm not looking at the Samsung, in that price range I'd go for the OG Vive probably. if I'm gonna go WMR I'm gonna just get the $200 MS headset.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

yeah, I'm not looking at the Samsung, in that price range I'd go for the OG Vive probably. if I'm gonna go WMR I'm gonna just get the $200 MS headset.

IF you take the fact you are paying 200 dollars into account when you're playing stuff. You'll have a good time. There WILL be some tracking things you notice, but its serviceable no problem. It kept up with me in soundboxing which is impressive for some of the songs I play.

Haters can hate but I enjoyed it. Also setup was fuckin awesome. I was in vr in 5 min.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Played some more soundboxing today, was reminded of how annoying it is to accidentally punch your own VR headset.

:negative:

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I wouldn't call the WMR controllers bad. They're a little big, ergonomics aren't great, but they work well enough and have all the inputs you need to play SteamVR and Rift games. The biggest thing is just if you aren't looking at the controllers they stop working and it takes a second for them to reacquire when they enter your view. That's not like some huge sin or anything I don't think, but it goes with my feelings in general that WMR is pretty good so long as you don't have a Rift or Vive to compare it against.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

homeless snail posted:

I wouldn't call the WMR controllers bad. They're a little big, ergonomics aren't great, but they work well enough and have all the inputs you need to play SteamVR and Rift games. The biggest thing is just if you aren't looking at the controllers they stop working and it takes a second for them to reacquire when they enter your view. That's not like some huge sin or anything I don't think, but it goes with my feelings in general that WMR is pretty good so long as you don't have a Rift or Vive to compare it against.

They are absolute trash for games that require the buttons to be used.
Try Pro-Loco motion in any raptor labs game for example. The buttons are tiny as hell .

Beyond that. I agree mostly. They do feel cheap as hell though. I constantly felt like I was going to pop the battery cover off holding them while playing stuff like stand out, sound boxing, etc. Anything I really wanted to grip the thing hard.

I will still stay that for 200 dollars its a GREAT option for people to get into VR. I definitely recommend it if you cant drop 400+ On a rift/vive. Because if you SUPER have a great time, the upgrade to a rift/vive wont hurt and you'll have a backup VR for other rooms for movies and poo poo.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

homeless snail posted:

Going to have to disagree with you here. The tracking problems are more common than you imply, kiss being competitive in online shooters goodbye. I constantly hear about problems reloading in Stand Out or vaulting windows due to loss of tracking.
It’s like Microsoft said “hey let’s take the absolute worst aspects of the vive and rift and make our controller out of just those parts”.
Honestly unless there is commitment from MS to invent a gen2 I can see them just exiting the market.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
The windows controllers are what you would get if a small child tried out the Rift controllers and made a drawing of them and then used that as your blueprint. They are loving garbage to hold and use and the only way you'd consider them acceptable is if you hadn't tried anything better.

They don't sit right in your hands, you have to contort your thumbs to get a good grip on them, if you relax your hand they just roll forward and drop, they feel cheap, and on and on. They're really unacceptable

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Yeah like I said, its fine so long as you have never touched a Rift or Vive.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

homeless snail posted:

I wouldn't call the WMR controllers bad.

The feel of going from Touch to WMR is like going from an official Dualshock controller to one of those $10 MadCatz specials from GameStop.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Ah, I was always a giant two hand sword man in Skyrim before, but the VR game begs for archery :) Finished the Bleak Falls barrows (those hanging fire pots are suddenly a lot more appealing), happened on the witches cottage on the way back to the village - poked around in her basement which she didn't like so she got the arrows, then two novice necromancers on the path home - arrows etc. Getting someone at a range where you need to add loft to the shot plus leading them is a fine feeling :)

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

homeless snail posted:

Yeah like I said, its fine so long as you have never touched a Rift or Vive.

Honestly, I think they're about 75% as good as the vive controllers, which are also garbage. The rift controllers should be the standard. VR hand presence needs to be something you wear, not something you hold. I hope the valve knuckles show up at some point.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
For SteamVR, I disabled that new adaptive resolution thing they added that sets the super sampling based on your video card. I want it set to 100% for the Rift right? At 100% the resolution is 2000x2384. I was wondering why I was getting reprojection in Skyrim, then remembered that I have it set to 1.5 in the Oculus Debug Tray, Steam had it set to 200%, and I had it cranked to the max in SkyrimVR as well haha.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Anyone have both a tpcast AND a vive deluxe audio strap? Wondering if they'll play nice together form factor wise before I buy the strap.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Honestly, I think they're about 75% as good as the vive controllers, which are also garbage. The rift controllers should be the standard. VR hand presence needs to be something you wear, not something you hold. I hope the valve knuckles show up at some point.

The Vive controllers are fine for any game where you're just holding a gun, the windows controllers are fine if you want to induce pain and suffering in the user

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

Ciaphas posted:

Anyone have both a tpcast AND a vive deluxe audio strap? Wondering if they'll play nice together form factor wise before I buy the strap.

They fit, but I found the tpcast to be too much hassle.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Edison was a dick posted:

They fit, but I found the tpcast to be too much hassle.

I'm trying to make up my mind on this myself. I hate that drat cable, but at least with it everything just works. TPcast is brilliant when it works, a nightmare of fiddling and prayer when it doesn't.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Enos Cabell posted:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but you cannot use PSVR on the PC.

You definitely can, and it's pretty good for flight sims.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Since when did the Vive controllers become hot garbage? Mine seem to be just peachy with their cool white-from-my-walls battle damage. I dunno I can't keep up with the hot VR memes.

Also what's up with you guys turning via the controllers in Skyrim rather than just physically turning your body? That's the point of VR right?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Sometimes it's just easier to stand there and let the game do all the heavy lifting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Cojawfee posted:

Sometimes it's just easier to stand there and let the game do all the heavy lifting.

It's also a lot easier just to play on the screen like before

Sometimes I doubt your commitment to sparkle motion VR