Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Landry’s reaction solidified his departure from Miami.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Wanted: More swagger, attitude

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
The Bills and Josh Allen deserve each other. Especially for 3 first's.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

mcmagic posted:

The Bills and Josh Allen deserve each other. Especially for 3 first's.

The Jets deserve their team plane crashing.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
The Dolphins deserve the entire organisation getting mired in a bullying and sexual harassment scandal.

Oh wait.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE
And the Patriots deserve: *

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
I still can't believe a bullying scandal happened in professional football.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Hey, darnold!

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I love that in the weirdest roundabout way possible Scam for Sam worked out.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
I don't.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I am not thrilled the Pats drafted a dead RB with no knees instead of Lamar Jackson when he was right there. Please prove me wrong, Bill.

It is right and cool and good that the Bills traded up to draft Allen, though, lmao

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
I think "dead" is being a bit dramatic. Michel is super good and this bone on bone stuff certainly didn't stop him from absolutely balling out in college. I think he could be Alvin Kamara or maybe better.

Also, it's really hard to imagine Bill drafting a guy in the first round and not getting good play out of him. Perhaps the bone stuff isn't a big deal or is correctable

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Scale of 1-10 how excited are Pats fans for the Kyle Lauletta era?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Brady will be starting longer then Josh Allen or Tannehill.

I'm not sure if I'm joking.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
They asked Darnold who he hated more UCLA or the Patriots and he gave the wrong answer. Sad.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Play posted:

I think "dead" is being a bit dramatic. Michel is super good and this bone on bone stuff certainly didn't stop him from absolutely balling out in college. I think he could be Alvin Kamara or maybe better.

Also, it's really hard to imagine Bill drafting a guy in the first round and not getting good play out of him. Perhaps the bone stuff isn't a big deal or is correctable

I think it's more that the bone stuff will end his career very prematurely and that Bill correctly doesn't care because he'll usually let them go after a rookie contract anyway

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Raku posted:

I think it's more that the bone stuff will end his career very prematurely and that Bill correctly doesn't care because he'll usually let them go after a rookie contract anyway

Yep he'll likely ride this man until he's crippled and move on with a smile

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

mcmagic posted:

They asked Darnold who he hated more UCLA or the Patriots and he gave the wrong answer. Sad.

Time to pack up and move on, who's the best QB in the draft next year?

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
So, the braintrust for the fins see needs at LB, d line, o line, and draft safety, te, lb prospect, te, rb? Nice.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
So you don’t think the Dolphins had a need at TE and were fine going into the season with what we had?

Huge fan of Gavin Escobar and AJ Derby huh?

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

TheBizzness posted:

So you don’t think the Dolphins had a need at TE and were fine going into the season with what we had?

Huge fan of Gavin Escobar and AJ Derby huh?

No, but it wasn't as big as the others. Marquis Gray actually looks good every time he gets a chance.

And, we picked the second highest rated TE, sooooooo. Yeah, if we went into the season with Gray as our primary receiving TE, I'd be fine with that if we had taken a legit LB who could start now.

torgeaux fucked around with this message at 22:38 on May 6, 2018

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

torgeaux posted:

No, but it wasn't as big as the others. Marquis Gray actually looks good every time he gets a chance.

And, we picked the second highest rated TE, sooooooo. Yeah, if we went into the season with Gray as our primary receiving TE, I'd be fine with that if we had taken a legit LB who could start now.

You’re insane. It’s a massive need. I think we did well, especially with McMillan coming in. They’ve already said they’re moving TJ to OLB.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Amy Pole Her posted:

You’re insane. It’s a massive need. I think we did well, especially with McMillan coming in. They’ve already said they’re moving TJ to OLB.

We went backwards last season in RB, DT, C, WR and LB. LB is a net push if we assume McMillan comes back to form. We sucked at TE, we agree, but it's not like we got substantially worse, and our sucking at LB was enough to cost us games by itself. Sucking at TE? Yeah, it limits our offensive flexibility, especially since we got rid of one of the best short possession receivers. But, unless we upgraded from terrible to Gronkowski levels, it's unlikely to be a +1 game improvement.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
We are fine at RB (we drafted one anyways so?!?), probably got better at Center if you care about things other than names and pedigree, and I don’t see how how our linebackers could possibly be worse with 3 new additions (including TJ McDonald and McMillan) and the subtraction of Timmons.

WR and DT I’ll grant you but TE was a bigger need than any of those other positions.

I do agree with you about Gray also but it seems like a moot point because despite our terrible TEs he never saw the field. Coaches clearly don’t think of him the way you and I do.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

TheBizzness posted:

We are fine at RB (we drafted one anyways so?!?), probably got better at Center if you care about things other than names and pedigree, and I don’t see how how our linebackers could possibly be worse with 3 new additions (including TJ McDonald and McMillan) and the subtraction of Timmons.

WR I’ll grant you but TE was a bigger need than any of those other positions.

I do agree with you about Gray but it seems like a moot point because despite our terrible TEs he never saw the field.

I think we're ok at RB, but there's no doubt last season was a step backwards. But, has Gase got a record of really using a TE to turn around an offense? Our guys were lackluster (old) last year, and I like the new guy...just don't like him as much as a good LB. The guy we took at LB is projected to be a special teams/3d down guy. McMillan may be what we really need, I thought so last year, but our others? Just guys. And we lost game after game because we could not defend the middle of the field short passes. Our first rounder helps with that, but he's not a substitute for a LB. We'll see. I like the new TE, I like our #1 pick, I even like our LB pick. . . I just think the TE and LB should have switched positions in the draft. A lesser TE and a better LB would be better for us.

I can't agree we got better at center. Maybe he'll be better than Pouncey, who was a year removed from really good play. I hate Gase's play calling so much, I don't have much hope until he gives play calling duties to his O coordinator.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Pouncey was atrocious run blocking come on

And Gase offense is heavy on TE. Very heavy.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Amy Pole Her posted:

Pouncey was atrocious run blocking come on

And Gase offense is heavy on TE. Very heavy.

Like I said, Pouncey was a year removed from good play. I can't agree we got better because we didn't exactly trade for a great center. I have hopes, but we'll see.

Gase's best receiving TE on the phins was Gray. Who saw extremely limited play. Maybe you're right, and Gase wants to play more TE centric offense, but if so, he sure hasn't done it yet in Miami. He had Julius Thomas at his height in Denver, so saying he's great with TEs like some pubs say is like saying he was great with QBs with Peyton. Anyone could coach Peyton to greatness.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Pouncey was awful last year too, except when he’s injured.

Pouncey had to go.

I’m so confused that you don’t see the flaw in your logic there. TE is a huge part of his system. We were in the Jimmy Graham talks. They went after Cameron then Thomas.

Gase needs a strong seam threat for his offense. It’s a pretty regular talking point

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
What are your thoughts on the moves with DE?

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Amy Pole Her posted:

Pouncey was awful last year too, except when he’s injured.

Pouncey had to go.

I’m so confused that you don’t see the flaw in your logic there. TE is a huge part of his system. We were in the Jimmy Graham talks. They went after Cameron then Thomas.

Gase needs a strong seam threat for his offense. It’s a pretty regular talking point

Had no problem with letting Pouncey go. He hadn't been good for a year (2016, when he played, he was good, not great). The new center being an upgrade? Eh, he was pretty good, but he's not young, so unlikely to be better than he was last year.

TE as a blocking back? Fasano was ok there. As a seam threat? Didn't see it in 2016, didn't see it in 2017. I saw him underutilize Gray, so I still think he's either a terrible judge of talent (and the evidence there is strong at multiple positions) or he's not that dedicated to the TE as huge part of his system.

I think the new TE will help our offense. I do not think it will help the offense as much as a new starting OLB would help the defense, and our linebackers killed us more than our TEs failed to help us. The drop in talent from the best TE in the second round to the best in the fourth is not as great as the drop from the best LB in the second to the fourth.

DE? Our best guy is 55 years old, and the others haven't been consistent. Quinn will start from the word go, but he's no world breaker, but solid. We can bring pressure, but we need someone to set an edge, and keep the olinemen off the linebackers in the running game. Losing Suh, who tied up 2 linemen every play, hurts the run game, and his inside pressure means the edge rush has to be better. Overall, we got worse on the D line, but not sure we could keep paying Suh that premium.

We need to be thinking QB. I'm no Tannehill hater, but we pushed his cap hit into the future, and that was dumb. He's never going to be much better than above average, and that's not going to win many playoff games. Who is our #2? And we're not grooming anyone either.

torgeaux fucked around with this message at 00:46 on May 7, 2018

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
I simply have no idea why you feel Gray is anything but a 3rd TE.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Amy Pole Her posted:

I simply have no idea why you feel Gray is anything but a 3rd TE.

His play? He's consistently a first down magnet, i habe zero recollection of a dropped pass, and he makes the most of his time on the field. I'd like to see a consistent producer like him get more playing time. The fact that he doesnt get the chance doesnt dissuade me. Why are you sure he's only a third TE? Drake was third string RB, Ajayi was second, and Parker keeps getting pushed as the starting WR, so Gase's opinion is clearly subject to second guessing.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
I’m struggling with your logic though. They obviously felt strongly about Ajayi to let Miller walk, then strong enough about Drake to trade Ajayi and his limited shelf life.

And you put RB as a big need so I’m confused now? Is drake good or no?

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
I’m just so confused you seem to think he’s a 2nd or 3rd year player or has that potential. He’s a 6 year veteran. He’s never topped 174 (328 total) yards and a whopping 0 TDs

Three nfl teams all completely missing it. Yup.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
We didn’t plan on Ajayi being the starter and he in fact did not get the job until week 6.

We planned on going committee with Arian Foster at the head until the inevitable happened there.

The Ajayi trade was not about their faith in Drake though it should have been because he and Williams (RIP) are best suited for what Gase wants to do in the passing game.

Gase’s (and the FO) inability to recognize and get along with talent is concerning.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Amy Pole Her posted:

I’m struggling with your logic though. They obviously felt strongly about Ajayi to let Miller walk, then strong enough about Drake to trade Ajayi and his limited shelf life.

And you put RB as a big need so I’m confused now? Is drake good or no?

I didn't put RB as a big need. We got worse when we shipped Ajayi, but we're ok with Drake. As for Gray, they saw something, right? Gave him a 2 year, $2 million contract then sat him and never started him, cut his playing time in half, and threw him 3 balls (Cutler balls). The year before, started 7, and just 14 catches but 12.4 per catch and he looked great in those games. And signed Derby, started Derby, gave him 9 targets in 2 games, he caught. . .2.

When we needed a backup QB? Did we elevate the guy who knew the system? Nope, go sign Fales. Fales.
When we lost our TE, did we elevate the guy who played well the year before, who we signed to a nice extension? Nope, go sign AJ Derby.
We let Miller go, did we elevate our existing back? Nope, sign no gas in the tank Arian Foster.
When we let Ajayi go, we started Williams over Drake, despite the enormous disparity in their production on the field, until circumstances forced Drake to start.
Jarvis could have been signed cheaper after 2016 season, but the brain trust clearly thought Parker was going to be so good they could afford to let Jarvis play out his rookie deal and cheap out on him or move on.

Did any of those work? Nope. On two of those, the better guy got a chance and played really well (and Parker continues to be a practice field god and a game day loser). Two others got no chance, so we won't know.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
I completely agree on the backup QB thing. If we’re going into the season with the nfls most overpaid QB ever thinking he’s a great plan if Tannehill goes down then woof.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Amy Pole Her posted:

I completely agree on the backup QB thing. If we’re going into the season with the nfls most overpaid QB ever thinking he’s a great plan if Tannehill goes down then woof.

It's mind boggling that we have no plan b. I like Doughty, would have liked to see him get some game time to see what we had. I liked Moore, a great backup who could emotionslly rally the team, but not a multigame starter. I'd have liked to see a decent project qb drafted in late rounds, not practice squad, and bring him up in the system.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
There’s zero guys on the roster with genuine potential. If you watched Bryce Petty as a jet and thought “man if only they knew what they had!!”....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
I cannot imagine taking a jet qb in this age with expectations he'll be even adequate. Pennington was the exception, but fragile.

• Locked thread