Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
I only run PIA VPN client side (not on my router) and have zero issues hitting my LAN stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlyWhiteBoy
Jul 13, 2004

Moey posted:

I only run PIA VPN client side (not on my router) and have zero issues hitting my LAN stuff.

Yeah it seems like a common thing people would want to do. My router should be capable of routing to a VPN server and also a local LAN. I'm just not sure what I need to do. Split tunneling seems like the closest thing to what I want but it hasn't gotten me there yet.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
Have a suggestion for the OP, one of the best wifi routers you can get in the $50-60 range is the Asus T-mobile Ac1900, refurbs are everywhere on ebay and on Amazon. No you don't need to be a T-mobile customer to use it. It's actually a rebranded RT-AC68U (a $140 router), it is flashable to official Asus firmware or many CFWs (most popular is Merlin). One of the best bargains out there.

https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-AC1900-Dual-Band-AiProtection-Certified-Refurbished/dp/B075GYWPCJ

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
Cheap but not upgradeable. Looks like it would be vulnerable to KRACK if the firmware is that old.

I'll have a think about it, but would also like to hear other opinions. If I did add it to the OP I'd need to put some disclaimers on it.

coke
Jul 12, 2009
You can look around slickdeal posts and see the full method.

It takes about half an hour (most of the time is for the router to boot/reboot) and it's somewhat involved with literally hex edit the firmware but it's doable and afterwards its perfectly upgradeable eg. you can run the latest tomato etc. like any other asus routers.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I知 moving to a new apartment where we値l have 100Mbps FIOS which means I can finally upgrade my N300 PCIe adapter and Netgear WNDR3700v2 router to 802.11ac. Previously, I lived in a house where my desktop was a floor below the router and 5GHz was too weak.

Any not-crazy expensive suggestions for a router and WiFi adapter? I知 happy to wait for a Memorial Day or July 4th sale.

ickna
May 19, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

I知 moving to a new apartment where we値l have 100Mbps FIOS which means I can finally upgrade my N300 PCIe adapter and Netgear WNDR3700v2 router to 802.11ac. Previously, I lived in a house where my desktop was a floor below the router and 5GHz was too weak.

Any not-crazy expensive suggestions for a router and WiFi adapter? I知 happy to wait for a Memorial Day or July 4th sale.

Any of the TP-Link AC series routers. Any reason you can稚 run a network cable to your desktop in your new apartment?

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
When someone pulls into the driveway of the house (who are on the network) my wireless network slows to a crawl and even occasionally halts. Not sure what is happening to make the router behave like that. It is about 70 feet away from the driveway according to google maps.

What is the solution here? Get the router into the center of the house? Build some insane tin foil wall thing that blocks the signal from reaching the driveway?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It will be the device on the edge of reception taking up a ton of radio airtime due to all the retransmissions that need to take place.

Some routers/APs let you set a minimum supported speed (so the device won't drop down to 802.11b/g just to hold a signal) and they might also let you set a minimum signal strength. Otherwise you can just turn your radio power down if that's an option.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~
Are there any outlet filter plugs I can use to help clean up the power lines for my powerline adapters? Like if I found a problematic device that really lowers my bandwidth, it would be nice if I had some cheap passthru type thing that sits in between the outlet and the device to clean it so it doesn't wreck my network. I found filters for X10 home automation on amazon, but nothing for what I am looking for. I also found these but they look like magic beads or something and I doubt they would do anything (maybe they would help though?)

I know I am going through a lot of trouble for powerline networking but it's the only option I have, I am in WiFi hell so latency is terrible even on 5ghz, and I can't run ethernet in this apartment.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Alpha Mayo posted:

Are there any outlet filter plugs I can use to help clean up the power lines for my powerline adapters? Like if I found a problematic device that really lowers my bandwidth, it would be nice if I had some cheap passthru type thing that sits in between the outlet and the device to clean it so it doesn't wreck my network. I found filters for X10 home automation on amazon, but nothing for what I am looking for. I also found these but they look like magic beads or something and I doubt they would do anything (maybe they would help though?)

I know I am going through a lot of trouble for powerline networking but it's the only option I have, I am in WiFi hell so latency is terrible even on 5ghz, and I can't run ethernet in this apartment.

Ferrite beads do real things but probably wouldn't help what you're describing. Maybe put that device on its own UPS or something. It's not a cheap solution but they last forever and are good to have.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~
I found out they actually made powerline filters years ago but seems no one makes them anymore, there are some questionable ones on ebay that I might try.

The beads are cheap and worth a shot though so I'll try them first. The problem items are AC adapters (cell phone and laptop chargers especially ), and TVs.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Don't get a powerfactor correction capacitor, it will gently caress up your signal even more. Short of fixing the device itself, you are poo poo out of luck, because powerline networking is already a major edgecase.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Alpha Mayo posted:

I found out they actually made powerline filters years ago but seems no one makes them anymore, there are some questionable ones on ebay that I might try.

The beads are cheap and worth a shot though so I'll try them first. The problem items are AC adapters (cell phone and laptop chargers especially ), and TVs.

I put some ferrite beads on some cell phone chargers and speakers I had that were getting the cellular network seeking sound through them. It helped minimize it to be barely audible. I doubt it will help but you can give it a shot.

The best solution is to move and burn that cursed place to the ground. Bad internet is basically demons.

ickna
May 19, 2004

Alpha Mayo posted:

The device you're talking about is called a power conditioner - but before you buy one to try and solve this, read on:

Generally, things that generate interference don't put it back directly on the power wires feeding them - it's radiated out, like broadcasting. The wiring in your apartment then acts as an antenna and picks up that noise, so isolating/filtering is better done by the device being interfered with and not the device doing the interfering. Obviously this won't work considering how power line networking uses radio frequency signaling on the power lines to do its job. Filtering the noise on the networking gear side would also filter out the signal you're wanting to keep.

Ham radio operators run into this all the time, though often the source ends up being outside their home. Your power line networking gear is susceptible to the same kinds of RF noise. (fun fact: power line networking equipment is actually a source of major interference for ham radio gear.) It could likely be one of the utility's transformers nearby that is out of spec and causing interference. Another likelihood is that one of your adjacent neighbors has some device that is spewing RF noise and wiring in a shared wall is picking it up. There isn't really a plug-in magic bullet solution, or there would be devices on the ham radio market that would fix it.

You can try spending money on a power conditioner and/or ferrite chokes, but I doubt they're going to do you much good. Your best bet is to identify and replace any devices that are causing interference. Devices that are your most likely culprits are going to be light dimmers, touch control lamps, lovely wall warts, any kind of florescent lighting and possibly even a refrigerator. Laptop chargers are notoriously noisy, and are great at radiating because the long cables make great antennas. I pretty much have to run mine on battery when doing ham radio stuff. Even with wrapping the wires around multiple ferrite chokes, it's still noisy as gently caress. Chokes decrease the intensity of the noise but never eliminate it.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Instead of going through all that effort, just drill some holes and run ethernet.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Steakandchips posted:

Instead of going through all that effort, just drill some holes and run ethernet.

They said they live in an apartment and can't run ethernet.

derk
Sep 24, 2004

Internet Explorer posted:

They said they live in an apartment and can't run ethernet.

Well, they could, just don't drill holes, run the cables along the baseboards and staple them to the baseboard or buy them little half round clips with the nail.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

Alpha Mayo posted:

A good UPS will filter power too (there are many types so do some research) and they are a lot easier to find plus you should have one anyways so the internet works in a blackout.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

derk posted:

Well, they could, just don't drill holes, run the cables along the baseboards and staple them to the baseboard or buy them little half round clips with the nail.

Never use the half round clips with the nails. Use a proper tacker. This is the one I have and it is amazing. https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0001K9PNM/ref=pe_217191_31005151_dp_f3

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Steakandchips posted:

Never use the half round clips with the nails. Use a proper tacker. This is the one I have and it is amazing. https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0001K9PNM/ref=pe_217191_31005151_dp_f3

Any particular reason? I had them in my house holding a network cable along the baseboard and they're very much fine for over 10 years now. What am I missing?

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~
Is there any free software that will measure TCP throughput and graph it out for me in real time? Something like ixchariot but free?

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Alpha Mayo posted:

Is there any free software that will measure TCP throughput and graph it out for me in real time? Something like ixchariot but free?

Assuming that by realtime you mean "often enough" the simplest system out there is mrtg. It can monitor anything you want however often you want. There are others more complex though (nagios , collectd (with graphana), etc.).

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

PRTG is also free for 100 sensors and likely a bit easier to use than alternatives.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Volguus posted:

Any particular reason? I had them in my house holding a network cable along the baseboard and they're very much fine for over 10 years now. What am I missing?

They take far longer to install and are far more prone to breakage than staples.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Steakandchips posted:

They take far longer to install and are far more prone to breakage than staples.

Ah, ok. I had to install 5 in my house, and that baseboard portion is behind furniture (therefore nobody goes in there), so for this kind of a job the staples are definitely not standing out.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Fair enough, but it's the sort of thing you buy once and never use those silly plastic things again ever for any sort of small wiring job.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~
Went full sperg mode, and used circuit breaker to turn off everything but one room to test devices one at a time while running iperf tests with PRTG and https://github.com/rkagerer/iperfsensor

Roku 3 was another big problem device. Having it plugged in, just sitting at home screen, costs about 40% of my bandwidth
Also had a really old surge protector that actually was causing issues too, about another 20%.

Some surge protectors actually seem to function well enough as noise suppressors. I plugged in one that has 6 devices attached (including another Roku, a TV, and an xbone) and it made 0 difference on speed.

My plan at this point is just to buy more surge protectors. It kind of makes sense, you aren't supposed to plug a Powerline adapter into a surge protector because it attenuates the signal, so if it lowers signal in that frequency range it might lower noise in that range too.

at least I learned something, powerline performance isn't just dependent on the house's wiring, but can be dependent on literally every other device you have plugged in.

also sorry for pissing off HAM operators by making all the wiring in my apartment a high frequency antenna

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Alpha Mayo posted:

also sorry for pissing off HAM operators by making all the wiring in my apartment a high frequency antenna

Easily solved by enclosing your house in metal, a.k.a. Faraday Cage. :v:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Any recommendations for cat6 cables? I've been told by friends with....questionable backgrounds with tech that I have to be careful which brand I go with.

Figured it couldn't hurt to ask the thread.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Shinjobi posted:

Any recommendations for cat6 cables? I've been told by friends with....questionable backgrounds with tech that I have to be careful which brand I go with.

Go with Cat 6a otherwise you might as well just buy cat 5e.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Shinjobi posted:

Be careful with Amazon. I've purchased a few cat "7" cables that were pure trash. Maybe the 6's are better.. I buy monoprice Cat 6 in 1000 foot spools. Great stuff.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

wargames posted:

Awesome, I'll keep an eye out for that. Thanks!

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

wargames posted:

pull single mode fiber and do your own fiber stripping/termination

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

CrazyLittle posted:

pull single mode fiber and do your own fiber stripping/termination

isn't that a little overkill for a home network.. maybe I missed a post somewhere

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

redeyes posted:

isn't that a little overkill for a home network.. maybe I missed a post somewhere

So is 10G base-T ;)

edit - also "lol @ cat7"

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~
Not sure if I agree, 1Gb could be a bottleneck in some areas, like if you wanted to build an SSD NAS for video editing or something. And the next WiFi standard (AX) is 11gbit theoretical, it would be kind of sad to go through the trouble of running cable just to get beaten by WiFi in throughput.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Are we talking patch cables, or installed wiring?

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
TM-AC1900 added to the op while in stock, with instructions on how to flash it to an RT-AC68U

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

1attack cat6 cables on amazon.co.uk are great.