Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Arglebargle III posted:

16% female user base might be record breaking for the FPS genre, but there are plenty of genres that are overwhelmingly female

Neat survey: https://quanticfoundry.com/2017/01/19/female-gamers-by-genre/

7% for FPS and 10% for MOBAs so 1/6 is pretty solid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Dylan16807 posted:

The bill of rights is supposed to be a non-exhaustive list of inherent rights, not a grant from the government. That's why the Ninth Amendment is there.

Correct. I don't know about other countries, but in the US the Constitution is a grant of authority from the people to the government. At the time, one of the counter arguments against a bill of rights is that it would seem to much of an exhaustive list of rights of the people, rather than an explicit proscription against restricting a particular set of inherent rights.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

My experience has been with women who were fiends for puzzle games and would be really pissed if you spoiled a solution.

PurpleButterfly
Nov 5, 2012

VideoGameVet posted:

Want some rye?

(Yes, I asked for the rights to do this and NO, I didn't get a reply).

:hfive: This lurker gets your joke and would buy a VR setup JUST for that game.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

VideoGameVet posted:

Want some rye?

I'd like to buy you a drink

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Steve French posted:

I'd like to buy you a drink

People have, although it was Eddie Dombrower who came up with that line.

The bra-box puzzle, the swamp, the sliding tiles ... that was me (and the game engine and most of the UI).

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

again, lol

https://twitter.com/drewharwell/status/983711614405939200?s=21

Facebook is the ultimate treasure trove of personal data for malicious actors to dig up and gently caress around with

Cambridge Analytica is barely the tip of the iceberg

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Odds are people agreed to the harvesting too. (In the same way they authorized android apps to collect everything on their phone)

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Trabisnikof posted:

That $6B figure either includes shark cards or assumes everyone who bought GTA paid at least $66 for it. It is based on an analyst quote and not a statement from the company.

If it includes shark cards, then any number of other physical gambling games have it beat in total all-time profits.

GTA V has sold over 90 million copies across Xbox 360/PS3/Xbox One/PS4/PC releases: https://www.gamespot.com/articles/gta-5-players-are-spending-lots-on-microtransactio/1100-6456644/

So even beyond the transaction revenue that is huge, it is the 2nd or 3rd best selling video game of all time. Ahead of it there's Minecraft on all platforms at 144 million copies (plus the paid skins and other assets and services like hosting from Microsoft on some versions adding money on top) and there's Tetris at "170 million" depending on how you add up paid versions over the nearly 35 years it's been around.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Continuing with the Facebook/CA lunacy:

quote:

Guardian Australia can reveal just 53 Australians used the quiz app. That means the vast majority of the 311,127 Australians affected were simply friends of others who had used the quiz app, whether in Australia or abroad, and gave no real consent to the harvesting of their data.

quote:

Ten New Zealanders who downloaded an app on Facebook could have exposed up to 63,714 of their compatriots to the data mining tactics of Cambridge Analytica.

From and from, respectively.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

fishmech posted:

GTA V has sold over 90 million copies across Xbox 360/PS3/Xbox One/PS4/PC releases: https://www.gamespot.com/articles/gta-5-players-are-spending-lots-on-microtransactio/1100-6456644/

So even beyond the transaction revenue that is huge, it is the 2nd or 3rd best selling video game of all time. Ahead of it there's Minecraft on all platforms at 144 million copies (plus the paid skins and other assets and services like hosting from Microsoft on some versions adding money on top) and there's Tetris at "170 million" depending on how you add up paid versions over the nearly 35 years it's been around.

After 14 different Angry Birds games, Angry Birds 2 is announced as the first official sequel in over six years. The first Angry Birds game was released on an unsuspecting world in 2009. Of course it stormed to the top of the charts and has since then been downloaded more than 3 billion times.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

VideoGameVet posted:

After 14 different Angry Birds games, Angry Birds 2 is announced as the first official sequel in over six years. The first Angry Birds game was released on an unsuspecting world in 2009. Of course it stormed to the top of the charts and has since then been downloaded more than 3 billion times.

and ...

Candy Crush Saga: 2.73 billion downloads in five years and still counting

https://venturebeat.com/2017/11/17/candy-crush-saga-2-73-billion-downloads-in-five-years-and-still-counting/

Although that's more of a cash-extracting Skinner-Box than a game.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

boner confessor posted:

oh for sure - the sims off the top of my head

It's kinda weird how the Sims didn't turn into a genre - why aren't there more dollhouse games out there? Meanwhile, you can play a simulation about shooting people in a muddy field in 20,000 different ways.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

hobbesmaster posted:

Odds are people agreed to the harvesting too. (In the same way they authorized android apps to collect everything on their phone)

How about that option not be allowed by law instead of expecting everyone to be perfectly rational consumers?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ryonguy posted:

How about that option not be allowed by law instead of expecting everyone to be perfectly rational consumers?

And I’m sure that’s exactly what will happen in Europe.

In the US however...

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

VideoGameVet posted:

Yeah but those are free downloads, they won't even let you buy the game direct to not see ads anymore. Those GTA V and Minecraft downloads are paid for, not ad supported free games. Similarly tetris would probably be in the billions if all the free versions were counted.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

BarbarianElephant posted:

It's kinda weird how the Sims didn't turn into a genre - why aren't there more dollhouse games out there? Meanwhile, you can play a simulation about shooting people in a muddy field in 20,000 different ways.

Why would you need more dollhouse games when The Sims franchise is so good though?

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

eschaton posted:

Why would you need more dollhouse games when The Sims franchise is so good though?

Why would you need more FPS games when the Call of Duty franchise is so good, though?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Well, there’s something similar going on in flight simulators.

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

hobbesmaster posted:

What was it that happened a few months back where some $100 flight sim skin came bundled with malware? That seemed like such a disproportionate response to piracy in a very, very small pond.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Paladin posted:

What was it that happened a few months back where some $100 flight sim skin came bundled with malware? That seemed like such a disproportionate response to piracy in a very, very small pond.

Doesn't the sims also have paid add ons?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

Aren't flight sims broken up into 2 completely discrete categories, the arcadey fun action games like Ace Combat, and then the extremely technical ones that people buy the $500 cockpit simulator key board and will post furiously online if the in game planes lack the real world technical specifications?

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013
Uber: hey let's try something simpler than self-driving cars that we have less of a chance of loving up

pentyne posted:

Aren't flight sims broken up into 2 completely discrete categories, the arcadey fun action games like Ace Combat, and then the extremely technical ones that people buy the $500 cockpit simulator key board and will post furiously online if the in game planes lack the real world technical specifications?

I read some dude somewhere who did call center work for one of those games and he had one regular who would complain that an airport in-game did not match the one he had flown into in real life. I'd mock, but having a relative who recently lost their pilot's license due to health issues I feel a little sympathy for some old dude who just wants to relive his flying experiences.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

BarbarianElephant posted:

there were numerous knockoffs

http://www.virtualfamilies.com/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singles_2:_Triple_Trouble

and then you've got like, animal crossing

i think it's just that the sims was so genre defying and such a colossus in terms of sales and clout that you either clone it and get sued for infringement, or end up taking a different angle on the game such that it's not a dollhouse game any more (animal crossing) or it becomes explicitly a creepy sex game

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Apr 10, 2018

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

boner confessor posted:

there were numerous knockoffs

http://www.virtualfamilies.com/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singles_2:_Triple_Trouble

and then you've got like, animal crossing

i think it's just that the sims was so genre defying and such a colossus in terms of sales and clout that you either clone it and get sued for infringement, or end up taking a different angle on the game such that it's not a dollhouse game any more (animal crossing) or it becomes explicitly a creepy sex game

animal crossing isn't a sims-like, it's more descended from harvest moon than anything

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

I wish there were more simulation games like the Sims, it's by far my favorite genre. Someone reanimate Will Wright and get him doing Sim <Thing> games again, I can forgive the hype deflation of Spore.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Animal Crossing and The Sims both descend from Activision's 1985 game Little Computer People (which proved very popular in Japan particularly after its ports to the Famicom and to the PC-88 systems there). In the Sims' case, Will Wright even sought out advice for refining the Sims from the creators at Activision.

Animal Crossing in particular was started as a project in 1998 or 1999 with Nintendo trying to make a game that would capitalize on the N64 DD (semi-failed N64 addon) real time clock, though it then had to be moved to a regular N64 cartridge with modifications for a 2001 release, so it wasn't attempting to clone The Sims which came out in 2000.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Condiv posted:

animal crossing isn't a sims-like, it's more descended from harvest moon than anything

i just mean it as an alternate take on the people simulation genre. like, you're either going to be ripping off the sims or animal crossing

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Pied Piper alum in legal trouble:
https://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/celebrity/t-j-miller-former-silicon-valley-star-arrested-over-fake-n864466

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Payday 2's not quite a killer app for VR, but by most accounts it's getting closer.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Seems like an overreaction for handing out his resume.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

JawnV6 posted:

I don't think that was the point. It counters this specious argument from SH:

Namely, you don't hear folks complaining about FPS motion sickness because they self-select out of playing them and it's not a novel take anymore. Not because they "seem to get used to it," they stop bothering to try.

VR motion sickness is orders of magnitude worse. There's a dearth of research, questions like "how many ms of eye-to-eye lag is tolerable" that don't apply to traditional 2d displays just don't have answers. Afaik, the gendered differences in VR motion sickness are still open questions as well.

This is something that's been known for literal decades and is not changing any time soon. Women are just more prone to nausea, vomiting and motion sickness as an adaptive trait against toxins and no amount of technological advancement is likely to fix it beyond diphenhydramine.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

T-man posted:

I wish there were more simulation games like the Sims, it's by far my favorite genre. Someone reanimate Will Wright and get him doing Sim <Thing> games again, I can forgive the hype deflation of Spore.

He's not dead though?!

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

boner confessor posted:

i just mean it as an alternate take on the people simulation genre. like, you're either going to be ripping off the sims or animal crossing

Or Creatures, maybe.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Paul.Power posted:

Or Creatures, maybe.

Creation: Life and How to Make It was a good book, and I managed to get the original Creatures running under modern WINE.

It was qualitatively different from The Sims though, in lots of ways.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Still surprised we didn't get any high-budget Minecraft knockoffs that I know of given how the game was record-smashing.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Still surprised we didn't get any high-budget Minecraft knockoffs that I know of given how the game was record-smashing.

Linden Labs (2nd life creators) tried with blocksworld. I was almost going to work on that project. https://play.blocksworld.com/play?world_id=2145321

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Ghost Leviathan posted:

roblox? dragon quest builders? Everquest next?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

America’s Shareholder Meeting with Steve Ballmer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Ghost Leviathan posted:

High budget minecraft knockoffs miss the point of minecraft. On top of that, how do you really compete when you're going up against a game with more paid players then most countries have people, and God only knows how many more people who play on someone else's copy or in school settings etc.