Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Buttcoin purse posted:

IndyCar manages with one guy per corner, plus a few extras:

I was thinking the other day, I like the IndyCar pit lane way more than the F1 pit lane, at least from when I used to watch it 10-20 years ago. It's nice and open but there are less people in the line of fire. It's more crowded in some ways due to there being one pit per car instead of one pit per team, but overall there are probably still less people "over the wall" in IndyCar than there are outside of the garages in F1?

IndyCar also fuels during pit stops. And yes, there are many fewer people over the wall than in an F1 pit lane. On the other side of the equation, in F1 they’re now changing tires in ~3 seconds. The sport is unlikely to decide it wants to go back to slower pit stops, either by limiting the number of people that can work on the car, the number of wheel guns each team is allowed to use, or by switching from centerlocking wheels to individual lug nuts (all approaches other series have used to slow pit stops). It’s antithetical to what F1 is supposed to be about.

Also, Ferrari doesn’t use a jack man with a lollipop to tel the driver to go. It introduced system a few years ago that lights up green when all four wheel hubs detect that they’re in contact with their wheels. In this case, it went green when three wheels had been changed and the fourth was still the old wheel that hadn’t been removed.

Yes, it’s a horrible cockup, and someone got their leg broke. That’s why the team was fined $61,000 for an unsafe pit stop. But motorsport is never going to be completely safe, and while this incident is regrettable, it’s also very rare.

drgitlin fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Apr 10, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Amen.

https://medium.com/backchannel/beware-of-the-robot-pharmacist-4015ebf13f6f

quote:

A 2011 investigation by the Boston Globe identified at least 216 deaths in the U. S. between January 2005 and June 2010 linked to alarm malfunction or alarm fatigue. In 2013, The Joint Commission, the main accreditor of American hospitals, issued an urgent directive calling on hospitals to improve alarm safety. The ECRI Institute, a nonprofit consulting organization that monitors data on medical errors, has listed alarm-related problems as the top technology hazard in healthcare in each of the last four years.

There are many reasons for false alarms: misprogrammed thresholds; dying batteries; loosening of an electronic lead taped to the patient’s chest. But plenty of alarms are triggered by the activities of daily hospital living. Liz Kowalczyk, who led the investigation for the Globe, spent a morning in the cardiac unit at Boston Children’s Hospital. She observed,

quote:

[The nurse] hurried into Logan’s room — only to find a pink-cheeked, kicking 3-month-old, breathing well, cooing happily. Logan was fine. His pumping legs had triggered the crisis alarm again.

The red alarm is the most urgent, meant to alert nurses to a dangerously slow or fast heart rate, abnormal heart rhythm, or low blood oxygen level. But on this morning...infants and preschoolers activated red alarms by eating, burping and cutting and pasting paper for an arts and crafts project.

In the face of growing nationwide concern about alert fatigue, Barbara Drew, the UCSF researcher, set out to quantify the magnitude of the problem. For a full month in early 2013, she and her colleagues electronically tapped into the bedside cardiac alarms in UCSF’s five intensive care units, which monitored an average of 66 patients each day. Mind you, this is just the bedside cardiac monitor, which follows the patient’s EKG, heart rate, blood pressure, respiratory rate, and oxygen saturation. It does not include the IV machine alarms, mechanical ventilator alarms, bed exit alarms, or nurse call bell. Nor does it include any of the alerts in the computer system, such as the Septra overdose alert that Jenny Lucca overlooked.

Drew’s findings were shocking. Every day, the bedside cardiac monitors threw off some 187 audible alerts. No, not 187 audible alerts for all the beds in the five ICUs; 187 alerts were generated by the monitors in each patient’s room, an average of one alarm buzzing or beeping by the bedside every eight minutes. Every day, there were about 15,000 alarms across all the ICU beds. For the entire month, there were 381,560 alarms across the five ICUs. Remember, this is from just one of about a half-dozen systems connected to the patients, each tossing off its own alerts and alarms.

And those are just the audible ones.

If you add the inaudible alerts, those that signal with flashing lights and text-based messages, there were 2,507,822 unique alarms in one month in our ICUs, the overwhelming majority of them false.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Necrosaro posted:

Someone didn't follow proper lockout/tagout procedures...

I made a short gif of this video because I think the guy gets decapitated at the end. So the video might be :nms: for some.

Live Leak: https://www.liveleak.com/view?t=kXNpr_1523346366
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IV2BRM2pWrU

It looks less "decapitated" and more "crushed to death", given the speed and weight that probably was

also probably not "melted down" as the video title claims

ANYWAYS

:stonk:

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Neutrino posted:

1 Comment

後裡穴

lmao

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Gunshow Poophole posted:

alarm fatigue is real, and bad

Oh no doubt, but how many alarms are even in a dumptruck?

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

There's a whole bunch of similar videos so I'm guessing they didn't have their mirrors set to where they could see the load and weren't aware it was elevated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5l9RpdxogXQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vlu-gE2YhTE

Edit: or it could be :catdrugs:, obviously

9:00

https://youtu.be/QdieKKAxCdw

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Buff Skeleton posted:

Oh no doubt, but how many alarms are even in a dumptruck?

My guess: the guy is tired and not checking his mirrors. Every big truck I've driven has 2 sets of mirrors, one parabolic so that you can see your blind spots. What fills your vision on the top mirror is the body of the bed. You use it to line up whomever is behind you and when backing. You'd notice it if the bed wasn't there. You check your mirrors every few seconds as you're driving as you can't trust anyone around you.

He probably bumped the hydraulics when he was reaching for his smokes and didn't notice. After that, it was all she wrote. I've never heard an alarm when raising a lift bed, but everything I've driven was made prior to the '60s. (grew up on a farm, old equipment). I bet you there's a light, but no buzzer.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
if you can't feel the difference in the truck's handling when the bed is up you need to stop being a professional driver

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

Is there a case where a dumptruck wants to have the bed at an angle and have the transmission not in 1st or reverse?

Can it be a case where future trucks either lock out the option or disengage the hydraulics when put in 3rd gear or higher?

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

edit:

putting this as a :nms: link just in case im wrong and the dude did get hit: https://i.imgur.com/HsISj0D.gif

It's a flying dumptruck that maybe just misses, or just squishes a dude

Rah! fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Apr 11, 2018

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Rah! posted:

:monocle: that dude who just managed to dive out of the way

...did he? it looks like the thing landed on top of his legs at least :ohdear:

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

...did he? it looks like the thing landed on top of his legs at least :ohdear:

it looks like the front just misses him, and the back wheels are in the air until they hit the lower slope, and hes on the flat part in between it looks like, so the back of the truck just barely sailed over him...i feel like if it hit him, he would have hit the ground 100x harder and bounced around horribly and/or get thrown down the hill with the truck

e: also found it on a couple lists/"articles" about people dodging death in insane ways. but i guess they could be wrong. changed it to a link, just in case

Rah! fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Apr 11, 2018

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

OSHA or goons faces of death i guess

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://i.imgur.com/sZfMS7O.gifv

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Shoes stayed on, he's fine.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Bounce back is no goddamn joke. I've seen a tree get felled, hit a rock in the middle of a bush and then do nearly a complete flip and end up about 50 meters away from the stump.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

[gnarly tree injury]

I broke my face once getting hit by something far less large. Just had a sense-memory of that. :ohdear:

Actually, OSHA content-post time! I broke my face taking an overloaded bag of trash out to the large dumpster behind my apartment building. One of my hands was barely functional due to a boxing injury, and I couldn't quite haul the bag up into the dumpster with one hand while also holding the lid up. SHOCK! Brilliant idea! I'll toss the lid upward, reach down, and use both hands to toss the bag in before the lid slams! What could go wrong?

Failing to take into account the shape of the lid and the force required to flip it open, I launched the lid into the air, reached down to grab the trash...

...and came to about 15 seconds later, hands on my knees, blood pouring from my face, surrounded by trash. Apparently, the lid had bounced off the back of the dumpster and flown back at a high rate of speed, where it collided directly between my glasses and my teeth, smashing my nose into the middle of my skull. I'm disappointed no one got it on video, because it had to have been hilarious. I couldn't feel anything from my lower eyelids to my upper lip and across my face from cheekbone to cheekbone, but I felt okay because the expensive stuff was unbroken. Oh, and I had to pick up most of a bag's worth of trash because I'd managed to get the bag halfway in before the lid bisected it like a factory worker who doesn't know how to LOTO.

My septum is slightly deviated now, but cosmetically my nose looks fine unless the light hits it at just the right angle. Had a real motherfucker of a concussion, though, and my doctor kept asking me to be on the lookout for cerebrospinal fluid in the event of a basal skull fracture. ("What, like Dale Earnhardt? How the hell would I know? Clear fluid? LIKE SNOT?")

It could have been worse. I nearly put my eye out with a bathrobe once. That was definitely worse.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

I nearly put my eye out with a bathrobe once.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

SelenicMartian posted:

Integrate whistles into the bed so that they howl when raised at speed.

dude we're spitballing ways to make sure the beds are down, not make sure truckers all drive around with them raised

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Sleepy truck :3:

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Uh oh, a military plane crash in Algeria has killed 257 people :(

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-43724941

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
An OSHA dash cam video of an incident involving a dump truck and an earth mover but no one dies and no bridges get wrecked!

https://i.imgur.com/NdFvhk4.mp4

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
It's the circle of life.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Neutrino posted:

1 Comment

後裡穴

Idgi, its not 火車-

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

An OSHA dash cam video of an incident involving a dump truck and an earth mover but no one dies and no bridges get wrecked!

https://i.imgur.com/NdFvhk4.mp4

Some say he's still trying to give it back to this day.

The RECAPITATOR
May 12, 2006

Cursed to like terrible teams.

Enourmo posted:

E: Make it so that the alarm sounds anytime the bed's up and the truck's going faster than say 10 mph. Lets you maneuver around yards and such but still warns you when you actually try and drive somewhere.

Here in Quebec, they are actually passing a bill with a new law that would make trucks with beds need to have a aural+visual indicator for when the bed's up. It is supposed to get royal assent today since the proposition was voted unanimously last week (or maybe the one before, I forget).

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy

The RECAPITATOR posted:

Here in Quebec, they are actually passing a bill with a new law that would make trucks with beds need to have a aural+visual indicator for when the bed's up. It is supposed to get royal assent today since the proposition was voted unanimously last week (or maybe the one before, I forget).

Was that following the highway accident 1-2 weeks ago that blocked ... the 15 I think?

Either way, it's a really good idea.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

The RECAPITATOR posted:

Well bless my stars and bars, the very idea! :911:

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Well, the tag on the robe is what got me. I had my glasses off and was trying to figure out which side of my robe was which by holding it within a few inches of my face and turning it back and forth. The tag was about 3 inches long and made of stiff fabric, and then attached to the hanger loop on the collar, giving it a good 5 inches of range. I guess the air caught the tag, and as I turned the robe, it sliced me right in the loving eyeball, taking a chunk out of my cornea (which isn't saying much; doctor says a few layers of cells is all you need to tear off to cause permanent injury).

Now I have chronic dry eye, a recurring corneal erosion, and I'm kinda night blind on my left side. It's not much of a handicap, except when I have to walk in low contrast/low light places with poor footing. Getting to the outhouse while camping can be a bit of a nightmare, especially if I've been sitting by a campfire, but that's like a once a year thing.

The best part is that my doctor had two options for a permanent fix: have another doctor use a diamond-tipped needle to abrade the damaged surface of my cornea in an attempt to get the cells to regrow and stick to the underlying layers properly...or move somewhere with more ambient moisture and a lower elevation than the semi-arid mountains of Montana. Now I live in the PNW rainforest, and my eye is mostly fine. I did get as far as talking to the surgeon about the diamond needle eyeball fuckery, but he was such a dick that I never bothered to go back for a follow-up.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Well, the tag on the robe is what got me. I had my glasses off and was trying to figure out which side of my robe was which by holding it within a few inches of my face and turning it back and forth.
Sounds as if you're not much worse off now than you already were. :psypop:

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Zopotantor posted:

Sounds as if you're not much worse off now than you already were. :psypop:

Truth. Without the glasses, I'm 3x past the threshold for legal blindness.

Was fun when I accidentally flipped them off my face doing 85 down I-90. Turns out you can drive by Braille using rumble strips!

ColonelDimak
May 1, 2007

Guardian of the Salsa

It could have been worse. I nearly put my eye out with a bathrobe once. That was definitely worse.

We're gonna need this story, and the PPE to prevent this.

dobbymoodge
Mar 8, 2005

ColonelDimak posted:

We're gonna need this story, and the PPE to prevent this.

Seems like you and DRJ share an affliction...

e: where are your glasses, Velma?

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

ColonelDimak posted:

the PPE to prevent this.

Ordinarily I'd say... eyelids?

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Gunshow Poophole posted:

alarm fatigue is real, and bad

it's a great example of how overregulation can cause problems just as underregulation can. a perfect example of "alarm" failure is evident to anyone who's ever been to california-- you basically can't spit without seeing something that says 'something may or may not slightly increase your risk of getting cancer'. Every hotel I've seen there has some sign to that effect- 'things in this hotel may or may not cause cancer'. And what information or help does that actually provide to people? loving nothing because when everything has the warning it's as good as nothing having the warning.

i'm by no means railing against regulation- it's just that it's not some automatic good thing, it's a good thing when it is actually intelligently used and applied. so it provides actual information or relevant warning. so it just doesn't end up allowing big business to crowd out small companies who can't afford compliance. unfortunately nuance is in short supply these days :(

in the case of the pickup truck, you don't be a loving dumbass and put in some dumbshit alarm that will be disabled. you prevent the goddamn problem from occurring in the first place through intelligent design solutions.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Well, the tag on the robe is what got me. I had my glasses off and was trying to figure out which side of my robe was which by holding it within a few inches of my face and turning it back and forth. The tag was about 3 inches long and made of stiff fabric, and then attached to the hanger loop on the collar, giving it a good 5 inches of range. I guess the air caught the tag, and as I turned the robe, it sliced me right in the loving eyeball, taking a chunk out of my cornea (which isn't saying much; doctor says a few layers of cells is all you need to tear off to cause permanent injury).

Now I have chronic dry eye, a recurring corneal erosion, and I'm kinda night blind on my left side. It's not much of a handicap, except when I have to walk in low contrast/low light places with poor footing. Getting to the outhouse while camping can be a bit of a nightmare, especially if I've been sitting by a campfire, but that's like a once a year thing.

The best part is that my doctor had two options for a permanent fix: have another doctor use a diamond-tipped needle to abrade the damaged surface of my cornea in an attempt to get the cells to regrow and stick to the underlying layers properly...or move somewhere with more ambient moisture and a lower elevation than the semi-arid mountains of Montana. Now I live in the PNW rainforest, and my eye is mostly fine. I did get as far as talking to the surgeon about the diamond needle eyeball fuckery, but he was such a dick that I never bothered to go back for a follow-up.

:downsgun::hf::downs: I almost did something like this a few weeks back. It was dark and I thought "why waste time turning on the light, I'll just hold this item of clothing close to my face", and then I turned it and it brushed up against my eye and then I realized that that would have made a pretty pathetic "how I lost vision in my right eye" story :v:

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/8VO99Nh.mp4

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Phanatic posted:

Amen.

https://medium.com/backchannel/beware-of-the-robot-pharmacist-4015ebf13f6f

In the face of growing nationwide concern about alert fatigue, Barbara Drew, the UCSF researcher, set out to quantify the magnitude of the problem. For a full month in early 2013, she and her colleagues electronically tapped into the bedside cardiac alarms in UCSF’s five intensive care units, which monitored an average of 66 patients each day. Mind you, this is just the bedside cardiac monitor, which follows the patient’s EKG, heart rate, blood pressure, respiratory rate, and oxygen saturation. It does not include the IV machine alarms, mechanical ventilator alarms, bed exit alarms, or nurse call bell. Nor does it include any of the alerts in the computer system, such as the Septra overdose alert that Jenny Lucca overlooked.

Drew’s findings were shocking. Every day, the bedside cardiac monitors threw off some 187 audible alerts. No, not 187 audible alerts for all the beds in the five ICUs; 187 alerts were generated by the monitors in each patient’s room, an average of one alarm buzzing or beeping by the bedside every eight minutes. Every day, there were about 15,000 alarms across all the ICU beds. For the entire month, there were 381,560 alarms across the five ICUs. Remember, this is from just one of about a half-dozen systems connected to the patients, each tossing off its own alerts and alarms.

And those are just the audible ones.

If you add the inaudible alerts, those that signal with flashing lights and text-based messages, there were 2,507,822 unique alarms in one month in our ICUs, the overwhelming majority of them false.
[/quote]

I was in an induced coma in 2007 due to complications from a surgical mistake. One of the first solid memories I had about coming back to consciousness was kissing my then fiancee at my bedside when they took out the respirator, and the spike that caused in my vitals setting off no less than 10 alarms that a fatigued SICU nurse had to come in and shut off one by one.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Truth. Without the glasses, I'm 3x past the threshold for legal blindness.

Was fun when I accidentally flipped them off my face doing 85 down I-90. Turns out you can drive by Braille using rumble strips!

Rumble stripes saved me from death/serious injury when I fell asleep(no alcohol involved) at the wheel on the motorway. Haven't driven in a tired state ever since.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

tsa posted:

it's a great example of how overregulation can cause problems just as underregulation can. a perfect example of "alarm" failure is evident to anyone who's ever been to california-- you basically can't spit without seeing something that says 'something may or may not slightly increase your risk of getting cancer'. Every hotel I've seen there has some sign to that effect- 'things in this hotel may or may not cause cancer'. And what information or help does that actually provide to people? loving nothing because when everything has the warning it's as good as nothing having the warning.

i'm by no means railing against regulation- it's just that it's not some automatic good thing, it's a good thing when it is actually intelligently used and applied. so it provides actual information or relevant warning. so it just doesn't end up allowing big business to crowd out small companies who can't afford compliance. unfortunately nuance is in short supply these days :(

in the case of the pickup truck, you don't be a loving dumbass and put in some dumbshit alarm that will be disabled. you prevent the goddamn problem from occurring in the first place through intelligent design solutions.

Recent example of CA doing another stupid cancer label.

Coffee.