Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

To be fair to HDTGM, that's not really their fault and it's pretty clear they (and probably most of the Earwolf podcast hosts) were really against it. I think the fact that there's even rotating old episodes available is because Paul Scheer fought hard for that after the initial paywall decision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

I still love The Flop House, do posters here still listen to it?

HDTGM kind of soured me when they put the old episodes behind a paywall, it was already annoying to listen to before that but jeez.

I do, even though I don't love it the way I used to in the very beginning. I don't know if it's changed or I have.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Human Tornada posted:

I do, even though I don't love it the way I used to in the very beginning. I don't know if it's changed or I have.
Pretty much same, I don't really think Elliot moving ruined it or anything but it hasn't been the same for a while even before that.

The one with one of those podcasting brothers that people like for some reason, like two episodes ago, unlistenable.

Firstscion
Apr 11, 2008

Born Lucky

HDTGM kind of soured me when they put the old episodes behind a paywall, it was already annoying to listen to before that but jeez.

I like them, they are little off on the timing with the jokes now eliot is in LA but I'm sure they'll get better.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Pretty much same, I don't really think Elliot moving ruined it or anything but it hasn't been the same for a while even before that.

The one with one of those podcasting brothers that people like for some reason, like two episodes ago, unlistenable.

I think the show just had a younger energy back then. There was a real sense that the guys would probably be screwing around in their apartments and watching bad movies even without the podcast, but everybody grows up. Personally, the older I get the more I can't help but feel like watching bad movies on purpose is a giant waste of time.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

oh poo poo for a second i thought y'all meant elliot wasn't on the show any more and i almost resubscribed

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Yeah I do. I think because it only comes out every 2 weeks I still look forward to it. I stopped listening to WHM though. At some point I realized I wasn't laughing at anything they said anymore so I took a break from it.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Drunkboxer posted:

I stopped listening to WHM though. At some point I realized I wasn't laughing at anything they said anymore so I took a break from it.

I think they're inciteful but sometimes they push too hard to get back to their base material. There can be way too much "What if Jon Belushi was in this movie" type stuff. Worst offender is definitely Eric, his only move seems to be the "Wait, did you say something entirely different? Because I have a bit on the pee pee tape I've only done three times!" Also for four fat podcasters they sure seem to have decided which side of the nerd/jock debate they belong on. All the "shut up with your beepy boopy pokemons and your magic the gathering dice or whatever" stuff gets old fast.

That said, I do love their crazy knowledge of minor character actors.

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Part of it is definitely shtick ossification. Elliot is now firmly the "go off topic early and often" guy with Dan almost entirely relegated to lame protest. Also yeah which McElroy that was apparently hates show rhythm.

theironjef fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Mar 5, 2018

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
There's a goon-run podcast called "Movie Mastery" that's pretty funny.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

PostNouveau posted:

There's a goon-run podcast called "Movie Mastery" that's pretty funny.

Eh, Jef drags out explaining the plot way too much. Really their best work these days is reviewing the old Star Wars books. This subforum really needs a spot for podcasts about bad books. I guess... besides the IDEOTV thread.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

theironjef posted:

Eh, Jef drags out explaining the plot way too much. Really their best work these days is reviewing the old Star Wars books. This subforum really needs a spot for podcasts about bad books. I guess... besides the IDEOTV thread.

I like the Star Wars one too.

I like a long plot explanation in my movie podcasts because I'm not watching these lovely movies.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

theironjef posted:

Yeah, Expounded Universe is fantastic.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Drunkboxer posted:

Yeah I do. I think because it only comes out every 2 weeks I still look forward to it. I stopped listening to WHM though. At some point I realized I wasn't laughing at anything they said anymore so I took a break from it.

I like We Hate Movies but they play up the anger too much at times. HDTGM just goes for the lowest hanging fruit at every opportunity.

The Flop House barely gets into the movie half the time but I guess I just love the hosts and their derails. The two episodes a month thing is kinda a bummer, yeah.

I like to re-listen to old episodes a lot so I kinda build up a strong opinion about podcasts.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
I find it very interesting to see how people like/dislike these various podcasts for different reasons and how their attitudes change the longer they listen. Nothing else to add, different strokes for different folks.

Also, WHM moved a lot of their old episodes behind the Patreon tier. Plenty of podcasts do that once they get popular enough, which is why I learned to just download them as they come out in preparation of the inevitable paywall.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Tato posted:

I find it very interesting to see how people like/dislike these various podcasts for different reasons and how their attitudes change the longer they listen. Nothing else to add, different strokes for different folks.

Also, WHM moved a lot of their old episodes behind the Patreon tier. Plenty of podcasts do that once they get popular enough, which is why I learned to just download them as they come out in preparation of the inevitable paywall.

To be fair in the CD WHM thread Eric gave people his blessing to freely share the link, paywall be damned.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Love when Chris Lambert guests on WHM.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Tato posted:

Part of that is also that the RSS feeds have caps (150 objects seems to be the standard), and keeping the old episodes around can get expensive because of hosting. We've been wrestling with what to do about that for a while now, mostly we've resorted to just keeping the mp3s around on wordpress for people to dig up.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

My favorite things about Movie Mastery have been when the movie for that episode was so batshit crazy that you guys urged everyone listening to pause and go watch it before listening.

I did not do it either time but I enjoyed the gently caress out of Big Money Rustla's even more after listening to the breakdown.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Victorkm posted:

My favorite things about Movie Mastery have been when the movie for that episode was so batshit crazy that you guys urged everyone listening to pause and go watch it before listening.

I did not do it either time but I enjoyed the gently caress out of Big Money Rustla's even more after listening to the breakdown.

I hate how much we loved that movie. We even had friends with us and they loved it. We were originally going to watch Garfield: A Tale of Two Kitties and couldn't find it. Since then we have watched that and it was so much worse.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

The world would probably be an overall better place if ICP stopped making music and made movies instead.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Yup! I've heard their back catalogue a few times over the past 5-6 years. Luckily things haven't changed now that Elliot is out in LA.

The shows don't stick in my mind as often as they used to but that's also because they don't have as many reoccurring bits. It's basically just separate tangents that turn into jokes but are rarely called back. My favorite bit that's been called back a couple times is Tom Brokaw talking about Dune. I wish there was a youtube compilation.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

TetsuoTW posted:

oh poo poo for a second i thought y'all meant elliot wasn't on the show any more and i almost resubscribed

I'm with you on this, that guy is incredibly annoying.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I love we hate movies so much.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
The Flop House is the only bad movie podcast I listen to at this point; It's great and Elliot is fine, he's got a weird voice and high energy but his bits hit way more than they miss. If you think he's annoying, go listen to one of the first 6 episodes with the original 3rd co-host. THAT guy was so grating I gave up on listening to those - he may have a "normal" voice but he's got even more energy and a greater predilection for stepping all over Dan and Stuart, all with absolutely no charm or charisma.

Their Book of Henry episode was everything I'd hoped it would be. When I heard "Book of Henry was so bad it got Colin Treverow fired from Star Wars," I knew it was going to be Flop House material. To be fair to Mr. Trevorow, however, I don't think the greatest director in the world could've saved a script about "Precocious child genius dies and leaves his mother detailed instructions on how to commit a murder."

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I don't think it's gotten bad with Elliot skyping in, but I do think they can do better. MBMBAM and Greatest Gen both Skype record and they're much more seamless.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

I never had a problem with Elliot's voice just his inability to ever let a bit die. ever.

Anyway Stuart is the best and I kind of miss listening to that dingdong-ripping-off obsessed goof

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Drunkboxer posted:

I don't think it's gotten bad with Elliot skyping in, but I do think they can do better. MBMBAM and Greatest Gen both Skype record and they're much more seamless.

Definitely. You'd think somebody in the MaxFun family would reach out and walk them through using Audacity and stitching the files together.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

TetsuoTW posted:

I never had a problem with Elliot's voice just his inability to ever let a bit die. ever.

Anyway Stuart is the best and I kind of miss listening to that dingdong-ripping-off obsessed goof

A) That's fair.

B) Agreed 100%.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

Eric incredulously saying “COLBY??? COLBY????!” is funny as hell for some reason, I just keep hearing it in my head after that last episode

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

Today's Movie Mastery episode might be the best one of it's sort so far.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Victorkm posted:

Today's Movie Mastery episode might be the best one of it's sort so far.

Good god that guy's feral childhood

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

PostNouveau posted:

Good god that guy's feral childhood

That part is not an April Fool's gag. I was more or less a dawn-til-dusk hose drinker and general wandering urchin between 6 and 12. I mean, I went to school and all. But my summers were basically all outside all the time. I remember I cobbled together a basic allowance by sneaking into the interstitial fenced space between the local fancy golf course and the local expensive houses and fishing balls out of the murk (it was like... halfway forested). They sold to the course manager for a quarter each at the time, and I would routinely come home with random poo poo I had bought.

theironjef fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Apr 2, 2018

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

Andrew Jupin likes the Minions :eyepop:

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
lmao even with the patreon the whm guys are hurting for money bad enough to do ads for dick pills? did i hear that wrong?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

bango skank posted:

lmao even with the patreon the whm guys are hurting for money bad enough to do ads for dick pills? did i hear that wrong?

Their ads probably depend on their network

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

bango skank posted:

Those dudes seem to be the current Draft Kings or similar, who get way too much VC money and toss it at podcasts as a loving blitz. Every show I listen to with ads has something from them save Idle Thumbs.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

END ME SCOOB posted:

Those dudes seem to be the current Draft Kings or similar, who get way too much VC money and toss it at podcasts as a loving blitz. Every show I listen to with ads has something from them save Idle Thumbs.

yea this is clearly a 'we got SO MUCH investment money holy poo poo look busy guys' thing. They're carpet bombing anyone who sells ads and unsurprisingly all the networks are buying because why would they turn away a money hose?

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
thats hilarious that that's a regular ad on shows now, whm is the only show i listen to that does ads regularly so this is the first ive heard it

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

bango skank posted:

I'm pretty sure the prime demo for people who listen to podcasts are finally entering "dick don't work" age so it makes sense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Now now, they don’t JUST sell dick pills, they also sell hair loss pills. As someone with a family history of early hair loss, I can relate and kind of wish their service was available in Europe.