Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Feels Villeneuve posted:

speaking of DQs is there a lamer stipulation than "the title can change on a DQ" in all of wrestling

The title should always change hands on a DQ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

MassRafTer posted:

what if the challenger bites his arm while the ref is distracted and tricks the ref into DQing the champion

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

exploded mummy posted:

what if the challenger bites his arm while the ref is distracted and tricks the ref into DQing the champion

Refs get leeway in it. False DQs are great, see: Eddie Guerrero

https://youtu.be/-emVtBDSSx8

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

exploded mummy posted:

What if that part was a work too!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

MassRafTer posted:

It shouldn't because that means you get to build to some goofy awesome poo poo like a cage match so hired goons can't break in or putting the manager in a cage above the ring or something.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Also "the title can not change hands on a DQ" is important because it is symbolic of the inherent unfairness of life.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Jenkem Delivery posted:

I love that spot so much, always have, but I was wondering; Is anything Eddie did there technically cheating in the "rules" of wrestling? Its not illegal to bring the chair into the ring, its hitting someone with it thats the DQ, right? As Heel spots go, I love that one and the "letting the ref find and confiscate your DECOY brass knucks" one that Regal did.

Halloween Jack posted:

The dumbest stip is still the scaffold match, if that counts.

I think Inferno matches (or whatever they call it when the ring is surrounded by fire) are up there for probably broadly similar reasons; The match will always look lame because the wrestlers (quite rightly) dont want to risk serious injury, plus from what I've heard if the flames are big enough to look impressive it makes it harder for the participants to breathe so they gas really quickly. Its a match which looks lovely and is legit risky, which to me is the exact opposite of what wrestling should be. They are obviously much rarer than scaffold matches.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

For old time's sake I rewatched Austin/HBK yesterday morning...Triple H lays Austin out ringside (before being ejected), Austin and Michaels use the DX Band's instruments as weapons, and Austin eventually gets nailed with the timekeeper bell. Also it wasn't no-DQ. Wheeee!

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Feels Villeneuve posted:

speaking of DQs is there a lamer stipulation than "the title can change on a DQ" in all of wrestling

That stipulation gave us Christian spitting into Randy Orton's mouth so it is a great stip.

Takuan
May 6, 2007

SiKboy posted:

I think Inferno matches (or whatever they call it when the ring is surrounded by fire) are up there for probably broadly similar reasons; The match will always look lame because the wrestlers (quite rightly) dont want to risk serious injury, plus from what I've heard if the flames are big enough to look impressive it makes it harder for the participants to breathe so they gas really quickly. Its a match which looks lovely and is legit risky, which to me is the exact opposite of what wrestling should be. They are obviously much rarer than scaffold matches.

I forget which company it was, but one of the Japanese deathmatch promotions in the 90s did an inferno match that had to be stopped after a few minutes because the flames got so big no one could breathe in the ring.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

Charles Gnarwin posted:

That stipulation gave us Christian spitting into Randy Orton's mouth so it is a great stip.

Even though it will forever be overshadowed by the Punk/Centa MITB match later that night, the crowd reaction after Randy punting Christian square in the dick is one of my favorites of "ohhhhhYEEEEEAAAAAAA" as they realize the title changed hands.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Takuan posted:

I forget which company it was, but one of the Japanese deathmatch promotions in the 90s did an inferno match that had to be stopped after a few minutes because the flames got so big no one could breathe in the ring.

FMW. One of the competitors (the Original Sheik, who would've been, what, almost 70 when the match took place?) actually had to be hospitalized from smoke inhalation and heat exhaustion (fake edit: I guess he got burned, too)

W*ING, refusing to learn from FMW's mistakes, did their own outdoor fire deathmatch. This match went far better than FMW's for a while, until W*ING Kanemura got completely engulfed in flames.

I think BJW did a few fire deathmatches too, but I remember those being a lot less... "just surround the entire ring with lots and lots of burning logs, what's the worst that could happen??"

e: WWC in Puerto Rico did a fire deathmatch I seem to remember being pretty alright, but they hardly wreathed the ring in flames. Yeah, gonna say it's a "not worth it" stipulation.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Jenkem Delivery posted:

no, thats the historical reason why the title doesn't change hands

someone did that in the old catch wrestling days and promoters took it and ran with the concept

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

LvK posted:

e: WWC in Puerto Rico did a fire deathmatch I seem to remember being pretty alright, but they hardly wreathed the ring in flames. Yeah, gonna say it's a "not worth it" stipulation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyo-BmmHSV0

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

If Wrestler C kicks Wrestler B in the dick and gets DQed, that's not fair to Wrestler A if B wins because of it.

So instead do as much dick kicking as you want.

Isn't that the same thing as Wrestler B pinning/submitting Wrestler C? Equally unfair to Wrestler A.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

No because he has an opportunity to stop that.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

exploded mummy posted:

no, thats the historical reason why the title doesn't change hands

someone did that in the old catch wrestling days and promoters took it and ran with the concept

Most titles changed hands on a DQ for decades after that. Deglane/Lewis was a work, the only question is if it was a doublecross or a planned finish.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Battle Royales are fair, but suck because until 80% of the people in the ring are gone there is no room for anything interesting to happen, the Royal Rumble on the other hand is far from fair, but because it means that they can have a manageable number of people in the ring at the same time, that means that all thinks working out, it can be exciting from start to finish.

Fair Three ways and four ways have to be elimination, but elimination means that more people have to lose, so we get this compromise, another unfair match, but one which fulfills the criteria the company wants fulfilled, that of more wrestlers in the ring but only one loser.

For all that WWE cries that winners and losers don't matter, it is clear in their booking that they know otherwise.

Edit: They need to reinstate the time limit for people out of the ring but not eliminated in the Rumble, and instate one into Battle Royale's because the whole hide under the ring and win at the end thing is so loving played out at this point.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Apr 10, 2018

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Why would Brock be angry about the match? Fan reaction? Does he care about that that much?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

ICHIBAHN posted:

Why would Brock be angry about the match? Fan reaction? Does he care about that that much?
he probably didn’t enjoy looking like a chump in front of dana, a month before negotiating his new UFC deal

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

ICHIBAHN posted:

It could be as simple as "STOP PUTTING ME OUT THERE WITH THIS GEEK!"

St Evan Echoes posted:

he probably didn’t enjoy looking like a chump in front of dana, a month before negotiating his new UFC deal

Especially when Ronda's match got the exact opposite response.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Gaz-L posted:

It could be as simple as "STOP PUTTING ME OUT THERE WITH THIS GEEK!"

Especially when Ronda's match got the exact opposite response.

Given his boy Heyman loves Roman, no it isn't that.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I wish Roman would just go away at this point.

Since that's not likely, he needs a heel turn. (also not likely)

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!
Did they sign Roman to a ridiculous contract and that's why they keep pushing him? Like a mark Henry contract?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Maybe Roman has creative control but he has no idea what "looking strong" is

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
It's just stubbornness on Vince's part, and apparently Triple H likes Roman too, and it's rare you ever see Vince back down from a bad idea unless it starts seriously affecting shareholder's (Like when he "died" in a limo or Donald Trump "bought" WWE -- although the former was more because of Benoit)

WWE is still doing great business, Vince has enough fuckoff money that his great grandchildren will still be rich, and has no reason to stop pushing Roman to the moon even if the fans are chanting "DIE ROMAN DIE" every night

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

RealFoxy posted:

even if the fans are chanting "DIE ROMAN DIE" every night

Vince: What are they saying, is it bad?
Alex Wright: Actually Herr McMahon, it is a compliment!

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

RealFoxy posted:

It's just stubbornness on Vince's part, and apparently Triple H likes Roman too, and it's rare you ever see Vince back down from a bad idea unless it starts seriously affecting shareholder's (Like when he "died" in a limo or Donald Trump "bought" WWE -- although the former was more because of Benoit)

WWE is still doing great business, Vince has enough fuckoff money that his great grandchildren will still be rich, and has no reason to stop pushing Roman to the moon even if the fans are chanting "DIE ROMAN DIE" every night

I think a good example of this phenomenon is Bruce Prichard's explanation for why each brand has constantly had GMs since the original brand split: Vince decided it's the only thing that made sense for whatever reason and never changed his mind

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ojZ63ILDMk

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

They learned from when Cena had part of the crowd turn on him not to listen to crowd reaction alone as he was doing super great business. So while Roman is pretty hated he's not gonna get depushed unless numbers drop. And considering they are on their way to the best quarter they've ever had in profits I doubt the Roman push will be ending anytime soon

And welp, I was wrong to be worried about TV rights fees cause it looks like they'll get the same or more. So get ready for the next 4 or 5 Roman coronations over they next 4 years

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Randaconda posted:

I wish Roman would just go away at this point.

Since that's not likely, he needs a heel turn. (also not likely)

Judging by the crowds, he IS a heel and he'll be a heel for the Joe/Roman match where Joe gets face pops while Roman gets booed out of the building. He's still a draw. As long as they don't try to control crowd reactions by turning crowd mics up and down for him, they'll be fine this time around.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I think a Roman/Joe match will be fantastic and I didn't give a poo poo about the idea of Roman/Lesnar

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

Venomous posted:

Judging by the crowds, he IS a heel and he'll be a heel for the Joe/Roman match where Joe gets face pops while Roman gets booed out of the building. He's still a draw. As long as they don't try to control crowd reactions by turning crowd mics up and down for him, they'll be fine this time around.

HHH said if they actually turned him heel all the people booing him now would start cheering him anyway. I think there's some truth to that.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
What was the logic behind the original brand solit anyway, from a business perspective? I wasn't watching the hellshow back then

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Von Linus posted:

HHH said if they actually turned him heel all the people booing him now would start cheering him anyway. I think there's some truth to that.
There is but on the other hand if your writing is so loving terrible it gets the exact opposite reaction you intended, maybe staying the course isn’t the answer either

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Von Linus posted:

...Except 90% of the people calling for the heel turn are aware of that and are arguing that they do it for a short run to ACHIEVE the cheers from the people booing right now. Like... what sort of logic is "We can't turn him or he'll get the reaction we wanted in the first place!"

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
If they don't turn Roman now and lean into the boos there's a good chance that this time next year he'll be getting xpac heat

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

Gaz-L posted:

...Except 90% of the people calling for the heel turn are aware of that and are arguing that they do it for a short run to ACHIEVE the cheers from the people booing right now. Like... what sort of logic is "We can't turn him or he'll get the reaction we wanted in the first place!"

'If we turn him heel, the people were cheering him will boo him, and the people booing him will cheer him, and we think he does better as a face, so let's leave it because people are perpetually ungrateful cunts' would be my logic. If I couldn't book him to be cheered as a face, at any rate.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

What was the logic behind the original brand solit anyway, from a business perspective? I wasn't watching the hellshow back then

I think it was running two sets of house shows with two sets of wrestlers? Possibly trying to bolster Smackdown's ratings as well?

Also, I believe it was a holdover from the original Invasion idea where WCW was supposed to takeover one of the two shows? They had a pretty bloated roster around that time.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
I think Roman could be a good enough deal that he gets boos. Miz and Elias are the same way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
So this seems like a question worth asking after Sunday.

What're the 5 worst Mania main events?