Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

goferchan posted:

Also Subspace Circular is on sale right now and under $5 and it's a really cool one-sitting adventure game. It's short but that's kind of the whole point, and the Switch version is great with a nice implementation of gyro controls and HD rumble

Thanks! I looked up a review and they gave it 10/10 so basically this s what I'm doing tomorrow.

Also my 69th Switch game. Aaaaayyyyyeeee. :c00l::dong::pervert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Xad posted:

His dub voice in the anime sounds a lot like strong bad, especially older strong bad when he had more of an accent

Are we watching different dubs

If he sounds like anything, it's like a gravelly version of Adam Sandler's Dracula from Hotel Transylvania.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Look up Meta Knight's voice in Battle Royale. They literally pulled a janitor out of the halls to record for him and it's hilariously awkward. Like he has a stereotypical nerds voice for some reason it's so bizarre.

I can't find a video of it :( I found a video that said "meta knight battle royale voice" and then when you click on it it's just 2 seconds of a goat neighing

edit: that's literally the video btw. That's not me throwing shade by comparing it to a goat noise

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Macaluso posted:

I found a video that said "meta knight battle royale voice" and then when you click on it it's just 2 seconds of a goat neighing

for some reason this sentence is just infinitely funny to me right now

god bless and/or to hell with The Internet

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Macaluso posted:

I can't find a video of it :( I found a video that said "meta knight battle royale voice" and then when you click on it it's just 2 seconds of a goat neighing

edit: that's literally the video btw. That's not me throwing shade by comparing it to a goat noise

You might of found it, for some reason having trouble tracking it down myself but that's about how he sounds. It's *real* bad.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

goferchan posted:

Whoa Danmaku Unlimited is really good and the huge range of customizable difficulty options keeps it fun for even a bullet hell noob like myself; I like that there are a bunch of ways to ease myself into the more hardcore settings. Also this is the first Switch game I've played that gives an option for a vertical mode when you're playing in handheld and it looks loving great (although I don't really know how you'd actually play it "handheld", I'm doing it laying in bed with the joycons disconnected and the Switch propped up on my knees)

yeah danmaku is super good and treasure has a build of ikaruga working in vert mode on switch too

there's also been 3d printed vertical grips for the switch, tho there might be some issues with where the vent is placed

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Apr 11, 2018

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

You might of found it, for some reason having trouble tracking it down myself but that's about how he sounds. It's *real* bad.

wait, this is metaknight's voice?????

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Aa03cBNKGQ

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
nintendo better be working on a pinball table toycon

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Ciaphas posted:

Lmao, yeah that's it. He does it whenever he falls in pits

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAV2OP3mo2A

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

SettingSun posted:

Why is the dock 90 dollars. It's just a hollow shell of molded plastic with a circuit board in the back. I genuinely feel like I'm missing something here.

People said that and then the 3rd party ones bricked people's consoles so I'm guessing there's a bit more to it

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Ciaphas posted:

That literally is his Battle Royale voice!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

did someone just try to make a meme of nova exploding

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Xad posted:

I wholeheartedly disagree, past abilities/items and the occasional double battle, everything else is a gimmick that hasn't really stuck. There weren't even any mega evolutions in Sun/Moon, and I hardly think the series is dying. Changing HMs to Ride Pokemon in Sun/Moon was awesome but I don't think the series would have ended right then and there if they didn't do that.

And yeah anything sounds lovely if you describe it like that. It's like saying Mario is just "running and jumping" or Zelda games are just "swinging a sword and pushing blocks." "Taking turns selecting moves from a list" is what a good amount of JRPG battle systems largely are, and people like that, especially for a portable game.

Even for turn based RPGs - compare Persona 2 to Persona 5. 2 games in the same series, and the battles are still turn based. But 5 manages to make the battles feel alive and snappy and cool even though they kind of boil down to very similar things (go for weaknesses). The gap between Persona 2 and 5 is the gap between Pokemon Gold and Sun.

I don't want the game to leave turn based combat, I want them to rethink what turn based means after 20 years.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

did someone just try to make a meme of nova exploding

Dr. Fetus posted:

That literally is his Battle Royale voice!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Ciaphas posted:

What the gently caress is going on?!?!?!?!?!?!

Kirby is the 3rd-rate Nintendo franchise with the fluffy pink guy that nobody cares about!

Am I taking crazy pills?!

Dad Jokes
May 25, 2011

Spanish accent anime Meta Knight is the only correct canon voice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEmmCIxCtjw&t=40s

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Smash Meta Knight is the best.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Even for turn based RPGs - compare Persona 2 to Persona 5. 2 games in the same series, and the battles are still turn based. But 5 manages to make the battles feel alive and snappy and cool even though they kind of boil down to very similar things (go for weaknesses). The gap between Persona 2 and 5 is the gap between Pokemon Gold and Sun.

I don't want the game to leave turn based combat, I want them to rethink what turn based means after 20 years.

I often see pitches/"rumors and leaks" of Pokemon adapting a more active approach to turn based while still remaining turn based, like Ni no Kuni 1 or your average MMO-like (i.e FF12/Xenoblade), where you would have the Pokemon out on the open world fighting in real time and the turn based element is still in play. It always sounds like a really neat next step to take Pokemon, like I imagine you could do even more with that like maybe if you're in the brush a fire attack could set it aflame and the Pokemon could get hurt from that or maybe they fight slower if they're in mud. That sort of thing really speaks to me. Turn based but presented in a more active format.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Policenaut posted:

I often see pitches/"rumors and leaks" of Pokemon adapting a more active approach to turn based while still remaining turn based, like Ni no Kuni 1 or your average MMO-like (i.e FF12/Xenoblade), where you would have the Pokemon out on the open world fighting in real time and the turn based element is still in play. It always sounds like a really neat next step to take Pokemon, like I imagine you could do even more with that like maybe if you're in the brush a fire attack could set it aflame and the Pokemon could get hurt from that or maybe they fight slower if they're in mud. That sort of thing really speaks to me. Turn based but presented in a more active format.

I'd be down for Pokemon of the Wild.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Policenaut posted:

I would like that, but I feel like they test out that sort of thing in the one of many many spinoffs they do instead - I can almost imagine a Pokemon Mystery Dungeon taking on a semi-realtime approach. I really like the Persona 2 > 5 example because Persona 5 is 100% turn based combat but the presentation is so slick it's easy to forget that (Also Persona combat is just satanic pokemon)

I think even simple things like making the animations snappier could help really - why do I see the health bar slowly tick down, why don't the big moves explode a chunk of it away and show you the change in a different color like a fighting game would. Why is switching mid battle so clunky (look at how you baton pass in P5 - a simple action like passing on your turn feels powerful).

Maybe people honestly don't want this, I know anecdotally it's not the same group of people buying each new game a lot of the time so maybe they just want a core "Pokemon Experience" that everyone understands

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'd be down for Pokemon of the Wild.

Yeah this is exactly what made me think of this. But then Kirby came out and it's just a normal Kirby

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

I feel like Spanish Meta Knight is what they decided to go with, because that's how he sounds in Star Allies.

Also I have a weird feeling the Nova exploding thing is already a minor meme because that's far from the first time i've seen something like this.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Speaking of Pokemon MD, does Switch have anything like that yet? Or whatever its original form of roguelike was called, the name escapes me at the moment

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

Speaking of Pokemon MD, does Switch have anything like that yet? Or whatever its original form of roguelike was called, the name escapes me at the moment

You may be thinking of Shiren the Wanderer.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Bongo Bill posted:

You may be thinking of Shiren the Wanderer.

That's the fucker, was on the tip of my tongue.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Ciaphas posted:

I think the Touhou MD is getting a port? It seemed okay.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

What's a cheap way to make my many XBox One controllers work with the Switch? Is the button mapping pretty much the same as the Pro Controller? Also, I have my XBox One and Switch fairly close to each other, how can I make sure that I don't accidentally turn on my XBox as opposed to the Switch?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

obi_ant posted:

What's a cheap way to make my many XBox One controllers work with the Switch? Is the button mapping pretty much the same as the Pro Controller? Also, I have my XBox One and Switch fairly close to each other, how can I make sure that I don't accidentally turn on my XBox as opposed to the Switch?

I don't have one myself but I'm definitely picking one up when I visit the US (they don't ship where I live)

http://www.mayflash.com/Products/NINTENDOWiiU/MAGIC-NS.html

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Kirby is the 3rd-rate Nintendo franchise with the fluffy pink guy that nobody cares about!
Bro you're treading on very dangerous ground here.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I don't have one myself but I'm definitely picking one up when I visit the US (they don't ship where I live)

http://www.mayflash.com/Products/NINTENDOWiiU/MAGIC-NS.html
If you're in Europe, you can get an 8bitdo wireless adapter from amazon.de for €20.

I got one a few weeks ago, and I really like it so far with my PS4 dual shock controller. Celeste is so much better with a proper d-pad.

obi_ant posted:

For the dual shock, at least, to connect to the Switch requires manually pressing the 8bitdo adapter button while the adapter is in the Switch dock and then turning on the dual shock while pressing the "Share" button. This causes it to forget its connection to the PS4. To re-connect to the PS4, so far the only way I've been able to do it is by connecting it by USB while the PS4 is already turned on (took me a while to find the nearly invisible 'on' button on the front of the PS4 Pro). It's not as bad as it sounds, though. But if you want to go from one console to another, you do have to physically get up and press the button on the 8bitdo device that's in the Switch dock or connect the controller to the PS4 by USB. You can't just sit back and wirelessly have things work out just with some controller button presses, as far as I can tell.

XBox One controllers would work very similarly to the PS4 dual shock controller, I imagine.

EDIT: Looks like the 8bitdo adapter only works with Xbox One S/X controllers, and not vanilla Xbox One controllers.

Inferior Third Season fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Apr 11, 2018

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AT0J9QV6Pc

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

https://twitter.com/TreasureCoLtd/status/983702861950275584/

Ikaruga

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
This popped up on my youtube and gosh, I am extremely ready for this game
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBLud5yoWIQ

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I wish that said Bangai-O

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Given the last Bangai-O game they made I'll stick with Ikaruga.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Samurai Sanders posted:

I wish they'd release either at Daiso prices :v:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Samurai Sanders posted:

I just want a remaster of Mischief Makers, is that so much to ask? :sigh:

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Dugong posted:

Isaac is on sale do I buy it for £28??

No. Wtf

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Actually you should buy it if you want.

It's basically King of Roguelikes for a reason

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Knorth posted:

This popped up on my youtube and gosh, I am extremely ready for this game
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBLud5yoWIQ

they haven't talked about this game at all since last E3, i wonder if it got shelved.

Rand Paul
Aug 2, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

Speaking of Pokemon MD, does Switch have anything like that yet?

DragonFangZ is probably what you're looking for. Mechanically it's a pretty solid mystery dungeon-like, but it has some technical issues (occasionally dropping inputs) and its translation is terrible.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Tales of Woe posted:

they haven't talked about this game at all since last E3, i wonder if it got shelved.

Doubtful, I'm sure they'll talk about it more at the upcoming E3.

It looks good and cute, though I'm a little confused about the gimmick. I can't tell if you can switch views at any time or if you choose what view you have before you enter the level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Gunna play Isaac on the go so everyone else can witness dead babies and Satan :)

• Locked thread