Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Man, I've been way behind. I'm glad to finally have context to GET SMOKED though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I just got home and I replaced all the test poster links with actual updates. Update should still happen tomorrow, assuming I don't need more time/get bored/crumble under the weight of your expectations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Part 107: 9/22-9/23: Avoiding Awkward Conversations

Music: Beneath the Mask -Rain (Instrumental Version)

I’ll be at the arcade today, so stop by if you feel like playing. I’ll teach you a bunch of tricks.

How’d you get my phone number, kid?

I’m eating now. Maybe I should respond later...

Oh, and make sure you eat your curry before it gets cold.
We got an invitation to go out. Let’s reply once we finish eating.

So, we have another day off. I don’t know what for. Probably Arbor Day or something, there are a lot of random Japanese holidays (I just checked, it’s “Autumnal Equinox Day,” and Monday’s day off was for “Respect for the Aged Day,” both of which are somehow even dumber than the joke example I just gave).

Music: Tokyo Daylight

We head over to Chihaya to boost our affinity with Futaba. It’s not enough, unfortunately.

I guess we should hang out with the child, failing other options (okay, fine, Makoto was actually available today, I just wanted to get the next skill before the Palace for some ill-defined reason).

You can get all kinds of Phantom Thieves stuff. I got a Phantom Thieves badge. I wonder what I’ll get next… You’re here to train, right? Well, are you ready?
What are you gonna do? Are you gonna have Shinya teach you how to shoot?

Let’s keep playing.

Music: Wicked Plan

Okay, so, how to explain this? In non-voiced scenes, Confidant characters will occasionally have little voiced “barks,” or short phrases that don’t match the text of the scene, but fit with the spirit. Why do I bring this up? Well, for this line, Shinya’s bark is “You bastard!”

…That’s right. He swears in the non-canon voice lines, but not in the text itself. This is loving baffling to me.

Don’t you get it!? You can’t just shoot all over the place!

...Yeah, but he’s got such a bad attitude.
It’s like he’s bipolar.

I really wanna know if he calls him “bipolar” or something else in the Japanese text.

I wonder how long that high schooler’s gonna be able to keep up…
Gahhh! You haven’t gotten better at all! When are you gonna learn!?

Music: Alright (Elp Version)

Thanks to you taking so long to figure it out…

I’ve always been good at shooting games… But I absolutely NEVER wanna lose at Gun About. So I guess I tend to get all heated up about it…

Do you understand, little boy?

Do I need to call your mom?
...Fine. I’ll leave, all right?

I… really wanted to keep playing.

You must have deep pockets, kid. Where are you getting all this money for arcade games?

...My house is so boring. No one’s ever there and there’s never anything to do. Adults and high schoolers are so lucky. They get to play all night long. Having that much time helps you get stronger… ...I wish I could play all day instead of going to school. I’d never lose another game… ...I need to get really strong, like the Phantom Thieves.

Seriously though, I can’t stop thinking about that employee. He was super annoying, huh? If he says something again, I might just have to use that move on him. The one I taught you, remember? You should use it sometime.

You’re gonna fake shoot him!?

I feel like my bond with Shinya is growing deeper...

Bullet Hail lets us sometimes follow up an ambush with a smaller All-out Attack using our guns. It’s pretty neat, and we’ll see it next time we go into the Palace.

Well, it’s just a move in the game, so it wont’ work against actual people… ...I wish it did. Then I’d be strong in real life. I need to be able to win in real life… …...

Uhhhhh

...I’m gonna head home.
Interacting with Shinya has made my heart grow… I feel like my Kindness has increased...

Maaku gains Kindness +3.

Later. Say hi to the Phantom Thieves for me1

Music: Beneath the Mask

We got 3 Condenser Lenses, a Five-inch Nail, a Black Rock, and a Nirvana Ring.

Oh, yeah-- You bought stuff from Shady Commodities.

Now, which of these is the punishment for forced labor, the most grievous offense? A: Ten years in prison./B: A twenty million yen fine.

The correct answer is… A! An inhumane executive gets ten years in jail!
Okumura Foods is likely only guilty of long hours and unpaid overtime—not forced labor. Many say the punishment for that’s too lenient: six months in jail or a three hundred thousand yen fine.
The punishment is too soft in both those answers! That’s why people are looking to us…
It feels like I’ve improved my Knowledge.

Maaku gains Knowledge +1.

I wonder… I bet it’s better than Okumura Foods though. But geez, are you OK? Don’t overwork yourself.
I have to work as much as I can to keep my job. Everyone else is sucking it up and pitching in…

Now that our package has arrived, it’s Shady Commodities time!

Music: Dark Net

Mr. Hamiru, you’ve opened the door to possibilities that normal people can only dream of! Now, you can find all the rare items you could possibly want!

Some new items in stock now. We buy the Spyware-laden Gear (which requires washing, and I only bought because I got confused), the Hercules Anklet (Strength +5), the Black Robe (for transmutation), and another Black Rock.

You’ve spent over 50,000 yen! Your member rank is now Dark! Now you can purchase all of our Dark-tier products! But wait, there’s more…! You’ve spent over 100,000 yen! Your member rank is now Chaos! Now you can purchase all of our Chaos-tier products! You’ve reached our highest member rank, so this is our full lineup. We can’t thank you enough!

All right, we’ve illicitly acquired some new poo poo, so let’s get to Confidantin’.

Music: Crossroads

But how the heck would you know, right? Riiiiiight?

What are you insinuating!? Oh, wait, I think she might just be plastered.

Hey… you have some info to share, riiight? Need s’more info on the Phantom Thievesssss. So sit your pretty lil’ butt down…

This is sexual harassment!

I’m expecting a lot from you… OK, take a seat!

I’ll shmack you if it’s not good enough…
...Hey, you sure you’re OK?

You’re usually kinda-- *hic*
Man… I haven’t seen her drink this much in forever.

You could… you know… cut her off? Just saying, Lala.

I’m… totally not drunk… *hic*

Oooh, you’re sharp, kid! Truth is, um… my quota got doubled.

Music: Suspicion

They’re shacklin’ me down so I won’t have time for anything else… Ugh, my chief’s such a shithead…

He’s clearly saddling you with more work so you won’t have any more time to date high schoolers.

Before this, I was starting to feel like a real journalist again… The rush of investigating Kayo’s case… uncovering the dark secrets hidden away by our corrupt society… But now? It’s gonna be impossible to run my investigation with this quota…
That doesn’t sound good.

They’ll fire me if I can’t reach my quotas! Hey, Lala-chan… if they fire me, can I live here? That still won’t help my investigation though… The incident’s over a year old, and the authorities aren’t doing poo poo. *gasp* Maybe Kayo really was the true culprit…

I mean if I don’t, who will!?
Watch your temper.
*sigh* What am I doing…? I mean, I’m the one who dragged Kayo into politics. It’s my fault this ended up happening to her… Y’know, she started out in book publishing, mostly taking photos of nature and wild animals. She was a genius behind the camera though. That’s why I thought she’d make the perfect partner for me…

Right. “Partner.” I’m hip to the lingo.

Hey, you can’t blame yourself. Kayo-chan was just as set on exposing the evils of society as you were. Isn’t that right?

Dammit, that incident is all my fault… That’s why I’ve gotta get to the bottom of it!

Y’know, it’s weird how calm I get when I’m talkin’ to you. It’s almost like you actually understand me. Oh, and… I’m sorry for snapping at you earlier. The stress must have gotten to me. It’s just, all this quota business is driving me crazy. I’m gonna have to put all my focus on that for now. I’ll still be counting on you for Phantom Thieves stories though… as long as you’re up for it.
It feels like Ohya is really starting to rely on me...

But I might be able to ask some of my coworkers for help. Journalists will do anything for a scoop. Now then, I’ll take any tidbits you have for me today. Hope you don’t mind if I get back to drinking though. This whole conversation really sobered me up…

That’s not how that works, but whatever.

Mm, it’s getting late… I’ll see ya later.

Anon: He’s definitely a target
Anon: Make him beg!

Music: Beneath the Mask (Instrumental Version)

Aren’t they a bit late this time? I’m on the edge of my seat here…

Dude, it took like a month for Medjed to go down. Settle down, bucko.

Yeah, they can take Okumura down easy.

Not just him, but ALL companies that exploit their employees.
Yeah. We’re in trouble too, you know. Take out one, you gotta take out them all. It’s only fair.
Why are they raking us over the coals…?

Music: My Homie

*chime* ...Is this on? Ms. Chouno, please come to the faculty office at once.
What could this be…? I’m off to the faculty office, so make sure you study on your own.

Learning about the spirit of the samurai seems useful, but this book looks difficult…

Seems like you still have some pages left. You should continue some other time.

One more session to complete that book.

Ah! The teacher’s back…!

Phew, that was close. Kawakami helped us get a good chunk of free time though!

Music: So Boring

In another class…

Someone please save Pleasant Boy, he’s been trapped in the Metaverse for eight days. He’s had to eat the burger robots for sustenance.

He’s in hiding now that everyone turned against him.
Public opinion has truly flipped between him and us, but I doubt he’s given up.
And if we don’t hurry, the public will turn against us next…
There are already signs of that.
Then let’s move! We can’t go wasting our popularity!
I’d like to stop my father as well, for everyone’s sake.
Considering Haru’s circumstances, we must follow through with this.

Music: Butterfly Kiss

First thing we do after school is head over to Takemi’s.

Not to actually talk to her, mind, just to buy pharmaceuticals.

We buy a bunch of Takemedics (200 HP for one party member, kinda pointless but I still wanna be prepared), a lot of Takemedic-All Zs (200 HP for all party members, nearly entirely redundant due to Mediarama but we’re saving these for a specific purpose later on), some Kajaclears and Kundaclears (negate enemy buffs and party debuffs), a large supply of Life Ointments (full HP restore from KO), a good number of Relax Gels (Rage/Despair/Brainwash/Fear/Confuse relief, because those statuses suck and Wakaba drained us of these), a few Nohar-Ms (Burn/Freeze/Shock relief, which we haven’t been hit with much but never hurts to be prepared for), and some Alert Capsules (Hunger/Dizzy/Forget/Sleep relief, and I’ll tell you why we’re buying these later).

So, some healing items, a full round of ailment relief items, and some debuff deleters. All in all, a pretty productive shopping session, which drains us of about 60k.

Oh hey, while I’m here, Takemi? Yeah, your patient’s alive. What? No, sorry, I have to go, can’t stay to elaborate. Maybe we can hash this out in a few days? I might still be busy though. Tell you what, we’ll definitely talk sometime next week. Just don’t take any initiative on this before that. I know she’s dying rapidly, but I’d really prefer to be there for the whole “Confidant” thing. Oh, you don’t know what that is, whatever. Kthanksbye.

Music: Tokyo Daylight

Back to Chihaya.

And Futaba’s ready to advance.

And we get Money Reading as well.

Music: Tokyo Emergency

Anon: bros, cmon. we’re waiting

And next time, we’re ready to infiltrate Okumura’s Palace!

Arist fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Aug 27, 2019

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Sorry if this update's a little dry, I wanted it to cover more but I realized pretty early on I'd have to split it into two regular updates.

For the same reason, I have decided that the special announcement is that the special announcement has been postponed until the next update.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Clever. Keep us guessin'. I like it.

More Tanaka is always a good thing.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

I want to believe so loving bad that this actually appeared in-game.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Kith posted:

I want to believe so loving bad that this actually appeared in-game.

I wish. But I doubt it took 8 days for Akechi to notice his shiny new app and use it to get back.

(I might be wrong, but the way I remember it anyone pulled into the metaverse gets a copy of Metanav.)

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Arist posted:

It’s like he’s bipolar.

I really wanna know if he calls him “bipolar” or something else in the Japanese text.

Literally they say 'it's like he has hysteria' but I presume 'hysteria' has been co-opted into the language as something that normal people would actually say.

limeicebreakers
May 1, 2017

Cuntellectual posted:

Incidentally it irrationally annoys me people say it as 'kek kek kek' when the way it's written in hangul is ㅋ, which sounds more like 'key ook'.

ㅋ is actually short form for either 켁 (pronounced kek) or 크 (pronounced 'ku', the way I usually interpret it), depends on the context I guess. 'Key ook' is the pronounciation of the name for that letter. :eng101:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Part 108: 9/23: Frank Castle’s Long-Lost Daughter

Music: Tokyo Emergency

Let’s head into the Palace! Spoiler alert: This is by far the worst one in the entire game! Just like the rest of this arc, it’s interminably loving long! Hooray!

Music: Sweatshop

*sigh* Might as well put him back in the squad, right?

All right, let’s go!

I didn’t forget the poo poo you pulled, cat. Just know that.

All of the other Palaces have seemed out of this world, but this one’s really in space…

Well, time to go back down the elevator.

Hm?

Your Persona is too weak to fight safely at the moment. Just leave that side of things to us for now.
O-Oh, OK…

A slightly different version of this same conversation can be had by talking to Haru directly before going over to the elevator, but it’s near-identical. In fact, I suspect it’s exactly the same in the original script and might have just been translated slightly differently in both cases.

This time, there are actual Shadows populating the Palace, so we have to be more careful.

This is Arahabaki. It’s weak to both Psy and Nuke but, infuriatingly, repels Physical and Gun. I think it also uses Despair and Makarakarn to repel magic attacks, but we have Makoto so we don’t see a lot of its turns.

Not much here but Okumura’s portrait, which I just love for some reason.

Eventually, we come across a different enemy variant, but there’s not much different about this one except its shape. No, the interesting thing happens when we successfully ambush it...

Music: Last Surprise

These eyeliner starfish are Decarabia.

They’re about to eat hot lead.

BANGBANGBANG

BANGBANGBANGBANGBANG

BANGBANGBANGBANGBANGBANGBANG

We dealt more than 12 damage total, we were just only dealing 12 damage every hit. Still, Bullet Hail is just kinda weak. That, or our guns suck. It’s probably a bit of both. e: Apparently, it's just a flat percentage, which is really lame and not at all how I thought that worked! I actually meant to go buy new guns and upgrade them before this Palace visit, but I… uh… forgot, and I really didn’t want to rerecord, especially after nabbing a few Personas. Because I’m an idiot, I ended up rerecording anyway, but that’s neither here nor there.

Also, I didn’t want to waste the money.

Anyway, here that animation is in handy .gif form:

Now, these devious Decarabia repel Fire and do not appear, at first glance, to be weak to anything our current party can throw at it. That is, until they give themselves away by using Tetrakarn to repel the next Physical attack made against them. So, we decide to test that.

Also, don’t worry, this enemy can’t use Despair, just Megidola, Tetrakarn, and Agidyne (Heavy tier Fire). Morgana only got hit with it because Tetrakarn bounced his own attack back towards him.

Sure enough, this poor enemy is weak against Physical. We probably won't get much use out of it for that reason.

Also here’s some Slime palette swaps Black Ooze, which from this wiki I found appear to use Stagnant Air and Famine’s Scream to inflict Hunger (an enemy use-only status effect that turns party damage way down), as well as summon more of itself. I didn’t see any of these moves, because it’s weak to a lot of poo poo—Electricity, Psy, and Bless, even if it resists Physical and Gun.

Music: Sweatshop

We eventually return to the room from earlier.

Looks like a hamburger bun to me. I mean, we’re dealing with Big Bang Burger here.
I’m sure it’ll become clearer as we proceed. Come on, let’s go.

Whatever, let’s head to the door.

Leave it to me.

Was that an act Mona put you up to? Y’know… the beauty thingy?

(pause)

Uh… Is that a joke?
You moron!

I know it’s probably not actually intentional because this game is kind of scatterbrained in certain aspects of its writing but I like that Ann is the one who calls Ryuji out here, considering her explanation of her own inspiration to become a Phantom Thief in her Confidant being Just Fujiko Mine.

Ever since I was young, people around me have never seen me for who I really am. They would be kind to me just to please my father, and would get money and presents in exchange. Adults, teachers, even friends… It seemed like everyone smiled at me for their own personal gain.
That’s why you kept the details of your family a secret at school…

I wanted to be just like that! Even though I knew it was a fantasy… I still looked up to them.
Everyone goes wild over heroes at some point. It’s fine havin’ someone like that on our side, right, Joker?

Music: Blood of Villain

Same, what the poo poo!? Motherfucking Mysterio just showed up!

This is insane on so many levels…!

YEP

Ah, dammit, this asshat?

Him…!? Did he come into the Palace too!?

Remember what I explained to you earlier?
You mean about the cognition thing…?

OH MY GOD, THIS DUDE OWNS

It should also go without saying that they now have Christopher Corey Smith under an absurd spaceman voice filter, and it’s great.

Are those… the rumored Phantom Thieves? ...I see! *chuckle*

“Overcome failure at any cost, even if it means betraying others”… You truly embody the Okumura motto!

That’s a real specific motto.

Why do you only ever think about gains and losses!? That’s why the company has a bad reputation… All because you treat people like they’re tools!

You’re living in the past, it’s a new generation, old man!

The cold reality of kicking people down is a part of business! Virtue and sentiment are for losers. *chuckle* Okumura Foods shall be the foundation of my victory!
His company is just a stepping stone…

Unless you make some compromises, I can’t introduce her to my father.
She needn’t be your lawful wife anymore… Take her as your lover, or whatever it is you desire.
Very well… I accept.
Lover…? I was raised under this company’s wealth… I even accepted a political marriage for you.

Father! You want me to be that man’s plaything just to satisfy your own ambitions?
Hmph, why fret? You should be overjoyed that you’re fulfilling your role as an Okumura daughter. This is the only value you’ve had from the very beginning.
So… even his own daughter’s life is a commodity to him.

Oh hey, Yusuke’s here, everyone. I kinda forgot he was here because he hasn’t said anything for the entire upda—holy poo poo, I already made this joke!

Haru’s Awakening (Definitely watch this)

Oh dear.

Music: Awakening

Ohhhhhhh dear.

Ah, gross!

Spotlight purely for dramatic effect.

Freedom for you must stem from betrayal. If you still yearn for it now… then you must not err. Now, tell me… Who shall you betray?

Music: Will Power

um.

UM.

HOLY poo poo

RIGHT!?

Heh. I know it’s corny, but I appreciate the line all the same.

Haru’s Fiance

Haru! Be a good girl! Come be my toy!

It’s getting kind of uncomfortable how every other Palace seems to involve the threat of sexual abuse in some fashion, but maybe that’s just me.

For the sake of changing my father’s heart, I cannot lose!
So this is Haru’s true power…!

All right, let’s do this! Time to pummel that scummy jerk!

So here’s Haru’s starting skillset, with the exception of one of her support skills, Fast Heal. Fast Heal lets her recover from ailments in half the time, which is theoretically kind of useful but in practice you’re still hopefully wiping that poo poo off ASAP. In dire situations, though, it lets her recover faster so she can use Amrita Drop, which cures every ailment for a single party member. Psy Break is a Break skill, and is thus garbage. Psio and Mapsio are Medium Psy, of course, but Triple Down is the interesting thing here, dealing Light Gun three times to all foes.

You may be wondering why we haven’t seen much in the way of Gun skills. At this point, we’ve even seen more of Bless and Curse attacks than Gun. Well, for some weird reason there are only four Gun skills in the entire game, and two of them are reserved for the absolute endgame. What that means is that not only does Haru fill a valuable niche with her Gun affinity, she’s probably going to be keeping Triple Down for the entire rest of the game. Because drat, is it a good skill.

Not that you’d know it from this fight, though. The smaller robots are weak to Wind, but resist drat near everything else, including Gun. They’ve also got an annoying habit we’ll go into later. Anyway, Haru’s affinities are Psy and Gun (though she doesn’t resist Gun like she does Psy), as well as weakness to Nuke, you know, the predictable poo poo. The rather paltry number of Gun skills in the game may lead some to the conclusion that it’s a waste of skill slots, and that they should focus on her Psy output. This is a loving trap. Her Strength and Magic aren’t terribly far apart, but the skills she does get push the balance waaaaaaaay over towards Gun, to the point where I’ll probably end up disposing of most of her Psy skills.

Anyway, in terms of melee weaponry, Haru uses axes, and her gun is...

...a grenade launcher!? Where did she get a loving grenade launcher!?

I haven’t really been going into the differences between the various characters’ gun selections, so I’ll start now. I can’t find any good documentation on any of this, so a lot of it’s just guesses! Uh-oh!
  • Maaku’s pistol is all-around fine, decent ammo capacity and damage. 2 clips of 8 shots.
  • Ryuji’s shotgun is high damage, but low-ammo. I assume the accuracy suffers as well. 2 clips of 4 shots.
  • Ann’s SMG is low damage, high-ammo, with the caveat that she cannot choose her target, which is picked at random from the available enemies every time she fires. 3 clips of 12 shots.
  • Morgana’s slingshot is a loving slingshot. Medium damage, low ammo. 3 clips of 5 shots.
  • Yusuke’s goddamn AR-15 is moderate damage, high-ammo. 2 clips of 12 shots (!!!).
  • Makoto’s revolver is high-damage, low-ammo. 2 clips of 6 shots, duh.
  • Haru’s motherfucking grenade launcher is actually just okay in the damage department, but hits every enemy on the field. 6 clips of 1 shot.
Characters cannot use more bullets than are in their clip in a single action, and they reload every action.

One thing these robots can use is Recarmdra, a nasty little skill.

Using it will fully restore the HP of the other enemies...

...while setting the user’s HP to 1. This is an enemy-only skill, naturally. The robots can also use Haru’s own Triple Down, which can turn into a massive problem. We want to take them out quick.

Thankfully, the party member the game automatically subbed out for Haru was Ryuji and not Morgana, so they go down quick due to their Wind weakness.

Haru’s cut-in is uncharacteristically cold, yikes.

Haru’s Psy skills, in addition to being trippy as gently caress, hit FianceBot’s weakness rather well.

Oh my god it attacks by bowing this is so good and stupid

One more Psio and we get another AoA.

Adieu, shithead.

Milady is based on Milady de Winter, from the novel The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas. The character is a spy for Cardinal Richelieu and one of the primary antagonists of the story, serving mainly to oppose d’Artagnan. I had kind of assumed she was more of a heroic character based on the nothing I knew about her role in the story, but no. She’s a murderer who commits countless grievous crimes and then gets executed. Ouch.

I’ve already gone into Haru’s skillset in some detail, so I’ll spare you from too much more, but just know she’s one of the best damage-dealers in the game. As for Haru herself, she's voiced by Xanthe Huynh, which is unironically, without a hint of mockery, an amazing goddamn name. However... nope, I don't actually think I've ever heard her in anything. Well, that's not entirely true: she had bit parts in both SAO and One Punch Man, but I could not have told you that without checking and she's probably one of the least known names in the cast. Her voice, while by no means bad, took a little bit of growing on even me when I first heard it, but at this point I'd probably rate her pretty highly in terms of performance among a cast that's generally pretty solid all things considered.

Arist fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Aug 27, 2019

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

A Bad Idea

:siren: It’s time for a special announcement! READ THIS ENTIRE THING YOU ASSHOLES, I KNOW IT’S LONG BUT SUCK IT UP, YOU’RE ALREADY HERE READING LONG TEDIOUS BULLSHIT :siren:

I’m quitting.

Wait, poo poo, I already tried that. How about instead, we do the thing you already guessed the instant I announced this announcement and just do the loving waifu wars, I guess? However, we’re gonna do this my way, which means there’s going to be a little twist.

See, I feel like we all know this contest would have a runaway winner if we held a rudimentary vote, and that’s boring. So instead, I’ve dispensed with votes. Instead we’re going to decide via a contest. The original idea I had many, many months ago was a simple essay contest, but I decided that was too simple and easy to judge, so I made the decision to widen the field of entry to… whatever the gently caress you want. Essays are preferable, obviously, but if you think you can express your decision better via Photoshop, haiku, or ASMR video, go nuts (please do not actually send me a video of you whispering into your microphone, jesus christ). Winner is whatever I deem the funniest/most creative/whatever, using my patented, extremely scientific scale of “gently caress it, I like that one.” The purpose of your creative whims will be to answer a simple question, but one that has haunted anime scholars since the beginning of time: who is best girl (slash dude)?

I’ve also made the decision that I’m not going to tell you what the options are, even if it’s incredibly easy to guess, and I expect those of you that know to keep your filthy traps shut. The main point of this is to encourage a diversity of options, so you’re allowed to vote for anyone in the game. Haru? Acceptable, especially given that the entire reason I delayed this for so long was to get to the scene we just witnessed. Yusuke? Sure, why not!? Newspaper Club Member? Fuckin’ A, that’d be hilarious! Caroline and Justine? Uh, what? No. We’re not doing that.

Now, clearly the vast majority of these options won’t have actual romances available, but whoever wins will be subject to shameless, Rise-style flirting for the rest of the game by me! However, for gameplay purposes, if a non-option wins, I’m going to pick the best one that was a legitimate option and also romance that option, because there’s tangible gameplay benefits to the decision I’d like to show off without running this game twice concurrently. Also, since I’ve widened the field of contenders considerably, I’ve also decided that you can submit as many entries as you want, which couldn’t possibly bite me in the rear end and I’m totally not already regretting.

Formatting: Even if this goes terribly and I get a paltry number of responses, I still need to be able to find them. So, to format your submission, just start the post with your username and what number of your own attempts this is, in bold. So, if this is my first submission, I would post:

Arist: Attempt #1

But if Seymour Butts wanted to post his third, he should post:

Seymour Butts: Attempt #3

Like so. I won’t automatically disqualify ones that don’t adhere to this, but if I miss it that’s on you and both I and your parents will be very disappointed in you. If you prefer to PM it to me (in fact, if your post has spoilers in it, do not post it in this thread, PM it to me and we’ll wait until it’s not a spoiler to show it off), that’s acceptable. If you don’t have PMs, I have a Twitter, but I prefer to keep that mostly separate from this forum and I virtually never post about this thread on it so that’s kind of a last resort. If you request that instead, I’ll post the link, though.

I’ll give you a month, so entries will be accepted until 11:59 PM on the night of Friday, May 11th. Go loving wild. You may also note that a month seems like a long-rear end time to give when I’m running out of options before the romance events for a lot of my Confidants, especially given my brisk update schedule and that we’ve only got maybe 5 updates to spend in this Palace even including the boss fight. Well, that’s because after this update goes live, I’m going to take a brief hiatus from regular updates to this thread. Updates won’t stop, but instead of covering the rest of the game immediately, I’m going to spend some time organizing and giving names to the old updates, do some weird supplementary material I’ve been wanting to cover for a while, and maybe catch up on Atlanta. That show’s pretty good. That should last about two weeks, and when I come back we’ll try to finish the Palace at about the same time the deadline ends.

As for deciding the winner: I’m going to hand-pick my three favorite entries. These three winners will receive a forums certificate or a free art commission, if you don’t need/want a forums certificate (and who could blame you), which I promise to spend at least five minutes in Photoshop making (note: I am terrible at art, you do not want this)! Woohoo!

I didn’t mean to make this 900 words, but I had a lot to cover due to my needless overcomplication of a simple concept. Get to it, #Millennials!

Arist fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Apr 29, 2018

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
Finally, it's time to gently caress Kamoshida.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

So a few things, Bullet Hail is kind of weird because it's damage is based not on your guns or anything you do, it's a flat percentage of the enemy health. Secondly, guns can have alternate ammo counts, off the top of my head there's a few 6 round shotguns for Ryuji that I know of, this doesn't matter much but is true.

Finally Lord_Magmar: Attempt # 1 We should be flirting with literally everyone, so we can steal as many hearts as possible, if we interact with them we flirt with them, even Igor, especially Igor. However, for the purpose of actually picking a date I'd say go Makoto, because then you literally recount how you totally dated her to Sae, a ignoble action of any Phantom Thief against their rival. Plus she has a rad motorcycle and is clearly the most competent party member.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Apr 12, 2018

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Holy poo poo Haru is awesome, and that actually kind of almost does make up for the stupid cat.

Oblique Angle
Feb 11, 2011

God or the devil? Why not surpass them both?!
So I gotta ask, OP - do you actually like this game? It seemed that way at first but most updates since around the bank dungeon have had some variant of 'this part of the game is bad/dumb/awful/pointless.' Is the LP format making the flaws more apparent than if you were just playing through? Or is the entire middle third of the game just a low point? If we're talking about a hundred hour game that seems pretty damning on its own, even if the end of the game is good.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
Haru is indeed awesome- I find she has the best Awakening and absolutely has the best costume of all the Thieves. An I love, love, love her weapons- a big fuckoff axe and an honest to god grenade launcher- not only because she has them, but because of the shorthand they provide about her character: that if you think from her design you know where her character is going... well, you might not.

(Really, the only thing about her intro that I would change is the sex thing, as has already been mentioned. Bit more casual sexual assault in this game than I care for, but it's always kinda been the shorthand for "this is a bad person" for many a hack writer.)

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I like this game a lot, but this part of the game is a bit of a low point, yes. It should also be noted that going over the game with a fine-toothed comb is, let's say, not terribly conducive to pure, unsullied enjoyment of it.

For what it's worth I think the game really picks back up after this segment.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Every Awakening has totally ruled.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Night10194 posted:

Every Awakening has totally ruled.

Haru's Awakening didn't have the mask ripping part.
Still awesome, mind you.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Darth Okumura is my second-favorite Palace Ruler design.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

RareAcumen: Attempt #1

Charm Leanan Sidhe.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Haru certainly never left my party after this
Gun attacks are too much fun

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

This palace is so bad that it made Artis go into an hiatus. No, but really, it's so tedious.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Random thoughts throughout the update!

- Makoto's shooting animation looks like something from the Godfather.
- Spaceman dad is definitely the best villain design up to this point.
- What's with all of the rapist bad guys?
- I get the feeling that all of those guns are insinuating that Haru's sitting on a lot of pent up aggression. Hooray secretly violent sides. :dance:
- I feel like in or out of context, the steal your bride line is gold.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkYXGvWZ-Zw

Hobgoblin2099: Attempt #1 - We're not good enough for Makoto. Steal the bride instead.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Apr 11, 2018

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

- Spaceman dad is definitely the best villain design up to this point.
- I get the feeling that all of those guns are insinuating that Haru's sitting on a lot of pent up aggression. Hooray secretly violent sides. :dance:

This whole level is in some part paying tribute to Star Wars, but this time the princess is a badass who wants nothing more then to pound some morality into her Dad's skull.

Haru having pent up anger issues? Perish the thought. She is just a normal girl who when given the chance to manifest her deepest desires chose two of the most destructive weapons imaginable.

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face
Haru was who I romanced when I played. Her confidant secretly owns.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I actually like this palace more than the Bank, personally speaking. The bank sucks because it's a sudden spike in difficulty if you have the wrong Persona and the villain is just not very interesting compared to all the other targets imo. There's also a lacking of personal connection compared to most of the other targets, who tend to at least be more directly related to a party member in one way or another. Kamoshida being a teacher and directly targetting Ann/Ryuju/other students. Madarame being Yusuke's Mentor/father, Futaba being the daughter of your caretaker and the stuff with her mother, and now Haru and her father. Meanwhile Kaneshiro is just an rear end in a top hat who Makoto set-off due to feelings of inadequacy boiling over into making a terrible decision.

Also I like the aesthetic and found that the fights here didn't actually take very long because we're at the point where you really can have an answer for everything in your brain. Also Haru being a repressed ball of murder is fantastic, and everything about her character in combat screams it. From Milady the ballgown wearing arsenal, to her big splashy weapons. It's only a shame that Haru doesn't hit everyone when she swings her axe too, although that would be slightly busted.

On that note Lord_Magmar: Attempt # 2 We should romance Haru because she has incredibly floofy hair, a heart of gold and evidently enough repressed rage to manifest some incredibly deadly and big weapons, which is cool as poo poo. Also she's rich and we're supposedly a "poor" crime boy, and it'll be a good cover for all our yen that we got from mementos. Also, also I romanced Kawakami when I played the game and now want to see something different.

We should still flirt with everybody and everything we can though, because those hearts aren't going to steal themselves, especially Sae, we should flirt with Sae as much as possible to throw her off her game.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Apr 12, 2018

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I thought everyone in the party had pent up aggression.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Mraagvpeine posted:

I thought everyone in the party had pent up aggression.

Fair enough.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

When the spotlight came down all I could think of was this.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Added some context to the end regarding Haru's VA:

Arist posted:

As for Haru herself, she's voiced by Xanthe Huynh, which is unironically, without a hint of mockery, an amazing goddamn name. However... nope, I don't actually think I've ever heard her in anything. Well, that's not entirely true: she had bit parts in both SAO and One Punch Man, but I could not have told you that without checking and she's probably one of the least known names in the cast. Her voice, while by no means bad, took a little bit of growing on even me when I first heard it, but at this point I'd probably rate her pretty highly in terms of performance among a cast that's generally pretty solid all things considered.

To be clear, I like Haru's voice acting. It's just not at alllll what I was expecting (though looking at some videos of her Japanese voice, it seems pretty dead-on, so maybe I should have been).

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Everything about Haru is awesome except for the designs of her Personas.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Funky Valentine posted:

Everything about Haru is awesome except for the designs of her Personas.

And the fact that she appears so late in the game. :v:

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.
Kal-L: Attempt #1

As we are Phantom Thieves of Hearts, it stands to reason that our romance should also be a way to undermine authority and rules. Therefore, we should date Makoto. As part of the student council and sister to a prosecutor, she embodies the system we dislike so much. Now, as a Phantom Thief herself, she has advanced so much down the path of law breaking, but she could go further if she's impulsed by love. She could make a fine Bonnie to Maaku's Clyde!

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

When you first meet her in game and she joins your party, Haru seems like the cinnamon roll character who must be protected and all that. Then her Awakening happens, and you see that she and Milady have that all taken care of for the most part.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Makoto makes a good choice since we can brutally own Sae by romancing her sister.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
Pretty sure Decarabia is still weak to Phys as a Persona. It's not to hard to get a Null/Repel Phys skill on it from prison or fusion, though.

rbakervv
Apr 1, 2008

For the Emperor!!
Something no one has brought up yet. Mr. Rapey Fiancee Dude is a cognition. Haru's Father's cognition. Meaning THIS IS HOW THE MAN SEES HIS DAUGHTER'S FIANCEE. And he is STILL willing to sell her off to him for his own benefit.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Okumura's the one who suggests that Haru be used as a sexual plaything in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Haru's VAing definitely wore on me a bit. I don't think the voice itself is necessarily a bad match to the character... but it's more one specific word, and that's 'Father'. Haru uses that word a lot, and something about either the delivery and/or the over-formalness of such a frequently used term just wore down on me a lot.

I dunno, parts of Haru's design just never gelled with me (her Phantom Thief costume is great but her regular outfit, with the oversized sweater and poofy hair, just annoys me in some aspect), and I don't think her voice made it any better.