Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

G-Spot Run posted:

Well this is certainly a development. I hope someone wasn't holding onto the strings for the right timing but who the gently caress are we kidding, these people are shitstains of humanity.

Prime Minister's Department employee arrested amid allegations of indecent acts against minors

Zero tolerance for abuse, particularly of minors

?????

So you have some tolerance for abuse if it's not a minor?

Yes hello this is my pointless contribution to this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Knobb Manwich posted:

Zero tolerance for abuse, particularly of minors*

Not applicable to refugees

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
WHY WON'T LABOR STOP ABUSING OUR POOR AUSSIE MINERS!

BUILD COAL NOW.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Solemn Sloth posted:

Not applicable to refugees

Or members of church based institutions,

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

G-Spot Run posted:

Well this is certainly a development. I hope someone wasn't holding onto the strings for the right timing but who the gently caress are we kidding, these people are shitstains of humanity.

Prime Minister's Department employee arrested amid allegations of indecent acts against minors

the gloss of this being a pm&c employee doesn’t mean much - the prime minister’s department is a big place and it’s not like turnbull is responsible for its hiring.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
So is everyone in the PMs office a child molester now? Just wondering since everyone in the union movement is an online shyster after yesterday.

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

JBP posted:

So is everyone in the Liberal Party a child molester now?

I'd say that's a safe assumption to make.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

JBP posted:

So is everyone in the PMs office a child molester now?

Only now?

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

quote:

Magistrate Beverly Schurr said the AEC became suspicious when a large number of online enrolment applications were submitted just before the deadline on July 31, 2012.
In these applications dozens of Sydneysiders had listed or changed their address to residences in Auburn.
During the trial, prosecutors said the online electoral applications were submitted without the knowledge of the people whose names appeared on them.
They alleged the applications came from computer IP addresses associated with the Mehajer family and that the siblings had exchanged numerous text messages about the fraud in the lead up to July 31.
If you told me he's being compelled to do crimes in a manner that's bound to get him caught, I'd believe you

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

A strain of the flu that originated in Brisbane last year has been named as one of the most dangerous forms of the virus in the world.

The influenza B bug, which has been named the Brisbane B virus, has been included in this year’s four-strain flu vaccination following recommendations from the World Health Organisation.

best state

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
If you say "Yassmin Abdel-Magied" three times, a newspaper columnist appears to tell you brown people are scary

https://www.buzzfeed.com/joshtaylor/i-regret-to-inform-you-politicians-are-upset-about-yassmin

quote:

The ABC has been forced to defend a six-minute hijab fashion show planned for its streaming on demand service iview after conservative politicians and commentators again began to complain about the show and its host, Yassmin Abdel-Magied.
This week, Abdel-Magied revealed on Twitter that she would be part of an ABC iview show about hijab fashion to air on May 1.
And, The Australian newspaper, which ran a lengthy campaign against Abdel-Magied the last time she had anything to do the public broadcaster, was quick to jump on it with comments from conservative politicians about how it was such a bad idea, with Australian Conservatives senator Cory Bernardi saying that the ABC "needed to be reformed".
Then, in a Senate Estimates hearing on Wednesday morning, conservative Liberal senator Eric Abetz grilled ABC managing director Michelle Guthrie about the program and its associated costs.
"Why do we think that this is such a good artistic show to comment or to promote the hijab when literally hundreds of thousands of women are facing arrest, imprisonment, separation from their families because they are seeking to rid themselves of this symbol of oppression from countries like Iran, and here we are seeking to celebrate this garment at taxpayers' expense?" Abetz asked.
Guthrie replied that it wasn't a news program.
"Senator, it's a fashion program. It's not for news...it is a program that is intended to show the hijab as part of a fashion program. It is not intended to be any political statement at all," she said. "It is simply intended to be a reflection of arts programming the ABC has commissioned."
Abetz suggested women in Iran would be "very disappointed" to see a program where western women were celebrating "this oppressive item of clothing".

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

quote:

Abetz suggested women in Iran would be "very disappointed" to see a program where western women were celebrating "this oppressive item of clothing".

Not the rural Iranian women. Why do you hate the Country, senator?

Starshark fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Apr 11, 2018

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
The Senator for Tasmania doesn't give a gently caress about women's rights when they're trying to terminate unwanted pregnancies, mistah speaker.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
I do really fuckin' hate Iran war hawks gormlessly insisting that the rabid western intent for war and "regime change" to a fuckin' group like MEK or whatever is so that girls don't have to wear head coverings and the boys aren't forbidden to wear ties

The ur liberal culture war, blastin' conservative clothing off of foreign kids with hellfire

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Why won't someone think of the Iranian women? You're doing oppressive misogyny, my good lady. I'm Erica Betz

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

ewe2 posted:

One might say well, they used to believe it at one time, perhaps some of them did, but I can't see how that could be the case when you take a closer look. The primacy of the market is an Outer Narrative, it sells what the big end of town wants, but it's really been more about divide and rule and they've largely succeeded in their mission to make most unions toothless, blunders like WorkChoices taught them they had to be more subtle. The failure was the left thinking it had won a war, not a battle but it's always war in politics. As a nation we follow political trends mostly, not lead them and the overturning of the conditions that created the middle class has been a century in the making across the "first nations", they were that patient

I don't really agree with all of this. A large part of the liberal party genuinely believes in the just world. They believe that welfare is enabling and getting rid of it will help people. They believe that government is inherently bad at everything. Get up close to them when they feel safe with a few drinks and it is a frightening look into the abyss.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Sussan Ley is on triple J talking about shutting down the live export trade.

AgentF
May 11, 2009

BBJoey posted:

the gloss of this being a pm&c employee doesn’t mean much - the prime minister’s department is a big place and it’s not like turnbull is responsible for its hiring.

Wasn't like Rudd was responsible for installing insulation either but he sure copped the blame when shonky installers fried some kids.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Sussan Ley is on triple J talking about shutting down the live export trade.

Didn’t the nats chuck a loving fit when labor suspended trade?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Solemn Sloth posted:

Didn’t the nats chuck a loving fit when labor suspended trade?

Everyone threw a massive shitfit.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

KennyTheFish posted:

I don't really agree with all of this. A large part of the liberal party genuinely believes in the just world. They believe that welfare is enabling and getting rid of it will help people. They believe that government is inherently bad at everything. Get up close to them when they feel safe with a few drinks and it is a frightening look into the abyss.

Yeah, it's a propoganda riddled rabble of griftees cum grifters, they internalised the cynical panic when they heard it as kids, and troop whole heatedly for it now

e: not all of them, obviously, but graduated Young Lib freaks who have photo ops with Jordan b. Peterson (no relation to thread JBP)

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Apr 11, 2018

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

KennyTheFish posted:

I think we're both right, There are those who cynically use this to better their careers, and at the same time they can also believe in their just world. It's part ideology and disconnection. People who genuinely believe they're a better kind of person and want to protect their privilege do not doubt that what they're doing is best, after all, the only people who disagree must be lefties. None of this is a contradiction to them, why else would they be able to grab power if they weren't meant to?

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

G-Spot Run posted:

It’s extremely cool and good that we get this news like a week after the PM announces more money to catch online predators.

(I guess it worked lol)

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Victorian liberals are boycotting or too scared to go on the ABC drivetime program for a grilling. None of them have gone on his show for 3 months.

https://twitter.com/Raf_Epstein/status/983941723066851329

I guess they can say whatever they want without being called out on 3AW.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

ewe2 posted:

I think we're both right, There are those who cynically use this to better their careers, and at the same time they can also believe in their just world. It's part ideology and disconnection. People who genuinely believe they're a better kind of person and want to protect their privilege do not doubt that what they're doing is best, after all, the only people who disagree must be lefties. None of this is a contradiction to them, why else would they be able to grab power if they weren't meant to?

You suck so much poo poo at posting I can't tell whether you want to correct or kill the poor

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

drunkill posted:

Victorian liberals are boycotting or too scared to go on the ABC drivetime program for a grilling. None of them have gone on his show for 3 months.

https://twitter.com/Raf_Epstein/status/983941723066851329

I guess they can say whatever they want without being called out on 3AW.

I listen to ALP and Greens on Epstein and he is pretty brutal (sometimes it seems like he is needlessly tough for the sake of it but whatever) but at least they rock up and defend their positions or engage.

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009

JBP posted:

I listen to ALP and Greens on Epstein and he is pretty brutal (sometimes it seems like he is needlessly tough for the sake of it but whatever) but at least they rock up and defend their positions or engage.

The Tories do the same thing in the ACT. There must be a general move away from high-risk, low-return media markets for Tories, even if it makes them look bad to that audience. Frankly, I'd chuck a fit if Greens MPs refused to go on conservative talkback or Sky News just because.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Mad As Hell more like Good As gently caress

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Solemn Sloth posted:

Mad As Hell more like Good As gently caress

Always.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Malcolm attempting to bail out the Victorian Liberal party (and the federal libs too)

https://twitter.com/tminear/status/984038918105411585

State budget is out in a few weeks and Dandrews would have given partial funding to begin work on the rail link next year. 50-50 split of funding with state and federal government, so I guess they'll be extending the Racecourse line and tunneling under Vic Uni and Highpoint to the airport instead of the cheaper and longer route via Sunshine.

drunkill fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Apr 11, 2018

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Whelp, President Trumball is toast. Pity the rail link not going to be built. Again.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
I saw an article suggesting that the Ellenbrook line and Byford extension are also kicking off next year with federal funding so yeah Trumble is definitely toast

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Why does new train lines mean he is toast?

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

It's what happens when they know they're hosed at the next election because they're trying to buy votes.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Pork Barreling. Blow a bunch of money in the Budget to win over votes.

Abbott made sure the $3bn in federal funding for the Melbourne Metro was re-directed to the East West Link to help out the Vic libs when they signed the contract days before the Victorian elections. They lost, so that 3bn is sitting in an account awaiting the day that project is revived (decades because it does not stack up financially) or a future PM re-directs it to another specific project or puts it back into the general infrastructure pool.

Vic Labor sold the port lease (both parties were planning on doing it) and funded the metro tunnel mostly on their own and have spruiked that fact that the federal government has not been helping victoria for the past few years.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

A bit late but: what’s the term for reverse virtue signaling? Like when someone mentions they’re a vegetarian and some rear end in a top hat says they’ll eat twice as many burgers to make up for it.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Dickhead

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
No, that's still virtue signalling, they are just signalling to a different group.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

A bit late but: what’s the term for reverse virtue signaling? Like when someone mentions they’re a vegetarian and some rear end in a top hat says they’ll eat twice as many burgers to make up for it.

Are you posting from MS Word or something? Those angled quotes are messed up.

Also they're called idiots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Someone who is ripping off old Maddox jokes without the common decency to draw you an mspaint koala.

• Locked thread