Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mewse
May 2, 2006

HardCoil posted:

In the ~$700 price range, is there ANY reason not to get a Prusa Mk3 as your first printer?

I initially fell in love with that Velleman Vertex 8800 delta printer, but it seems the Prusa just beats everything in reviews. The Delta just looks so cool, but I know that's really not much of an argument here. :-/

Build volume :laugh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

mewse posted:

Build volume :laugh:

The delta is basically for people who want to print a poo poo ton of miniatures and nothing else.

mewse
May 2, 2006

I meant the Prusa's build volume might be the only reason you'd consider something else. Cartesian or CoreXY with a 300x300x300 volume might be more desirable.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

HardCoil posted:

In the ~$700 price range, is there ANY reason not to get a Prusa Mk3 as your first printer?

I initially fell in love with that Velleman Vertex 8800 delta printer, but it seems the Prusa just beats everything in reviews. The Delta just looks so cool, but I know that's really not much of an argument here. :-/

- You want to print full sized stormtrooper helmets, or some poo poo
- You want the printer to come assembled or mostly assembled
- You want a printer this month

Nephzinho posted:

The delta is basically for people who want to print a poo poo ton of miniatures and nothing else.

What has delta configuration to do with printing miniatures?

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

BMan posted:

What has delta configuration to do with printing miniatures?

I might be thinking of something else, the tiny resolution tiny build area monoprice printer that is like $100.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Nephzinho posted:

I actually kind of want to print a poo poo ton of miniatures with the Prusa I bought. I was thinking that getting the minimum resolution layer of .05 would be hard out of a nozzle as wide as .4. Would it be a good idea to buy a smaller nozzle, like .2, or even a smaller "experimental" nozzle from E3D? I intend to muck about experimenting with stock stuff to learn how everything works, but I'm thinking longer term for when I know the printer inside and out, and am ready to really see what I can get it to do.

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

If it's broken, it's probably my fault

NeurosisHead posted:

I actually kind of want to print a poo poo ton of miniatures with the Prusa I bought. I was thinking that getting the minimum resolution layer of .05 would be hard out of a nozzle as wide as .4. Would it be a good idea to buy a smaller nozzle, like .2, or even a smaller "experimental" nozzle from E3D? I intend to muck about experimenting with stock stuff to learn how everything works, but I'm thinking longer term for when I know the printer inside and out, and am ready to really see what I can get it to do.
Grab a 0.2 for cheap and it takes 5 seconds to edit your slicer settings to accommodate the new nozzle size and layer height. Then go mad
0.2 is fantastic for resolution, but you'll get hit fairly hard by print times. If that's not an issue then you'll love the result you get from a 0.2 for the 5 dollars it'll cost you to buy one

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Got a Hobbyking Fabrikator Mini V2 on a whim to have a small parts printer for my home desktop, they were on offer for £140 or less with shipping. Theres a couple V1s locally and apart from the build platform limit they print alarmingly well for the price, especially if you add a parts fan. The V2 expands the build envelope to 100mm cubed from the previous 80mm and adds: new punched sheet aluminium frame, heated PEI bed, parts fan/duct, new steel extruder gear, new electronics with SD card (included) and wifi connection.

When mine arrived there were some loose screws on the z-bushing clamps, this was annoying because I had to almost split the frame to reach them but it was only an hour or so work. Our kittens were very interested in the new noisy family member, Penny even started talking to the printer when it made more cat-like chirps.

The print quality is still top notch too, sample gcode on the included SD card was a fun mystery so I loaded the sample PLA and hit go once I had it back together.

Inside it's pretty much a masterclass in building to spec on a tight budget. The frame is largely screwed together directly into threaded aluminium sheet, so you have to be super careful not to strip out screw holes if you need to service it. It uses closed MXL belts on NEMA 11 for the X and Y (and another NEMA 11 for the Extruder) but swaps in a consumer-device style stepper for the z-screw, which appears to be just a standard M4 threaded rod with some kind of super cute anti-backlash nut on the carriage. Being so small all the smooth rods are tiny diameters 4-6mm and it uses bronze bushings throughout.

It's absolutely amazing what they included for the price.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
So I ordered my first 3d printer last week, The FLSUN QQ delta printer(so excited). Does 260mm diameter by 370mm prints. Aliexpress was doing an anniversary sale last week and I snagged it for $330.

I have read at least one person say that they couldn't get Octoprint to work with it reliable and they think the reason is that the board is overwhelmed by the USB querying because of the extra power it takes to do the trig calcs a delta printer does. Don't know if that is true or not.

The unit comes with and ESP8266 based wifi module but it is tied to some chinese cloud based printing site that I am not interested in at all. I found this open source esp8266 and esp32 based firmware called ESP3D that looks like it does practically everything Octoprint does minus the camera part. Anyone here have any experience with it? I was thinking about trying it on one of the spare dozen WeMos chips I have.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Something about naming your printer :qq: seems like brilliant trolling.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
It was named QQ because it was the follow up to the FLSUN Q.

Name aside, it had pretty good reviews and was reasonably cheap.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

BMan posted:

Thanks, that's kind of what I figured. The Delta's print volume is actually not that much larger, and I'm fine with glueing my stormtrooper helmet together from multiple parts.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

HardCoil posted:

Thanks, that's kind of what I figured. The Delta's print volume is actually not that much larger, and I'm fine with glueing my stormtrooper helmet together from multiple parts.

I meant larger printers like the CR-10, that Velleman one is actually a smaller volume than the Prusa, though slightly taller in the Z axis.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Yeah I know☺️ I think I want a smaller printer to start with.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

HardCoil posted:

Yeah I know☺️ I think I want a smaller printer to start with.

Get this one if you're just at the loving around stage of things, then:

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=21711

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Get this one if you're just at the loving around stage of things, then:

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=21711

This is what I did. Good printer but after 3 weeks I already want the MK3.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Get one of those, too.

Then get a CR-10 for your random gently caress-off huge vase prints or whatever.

I made this on the MPSMv2 linked above yesterday (scaled each piece to 72% so the largest piece would fit in the build area, then printed them all in 4 print jobs).

https://www.thingiverse.com/make:474394

EDIT: I'm printing this thing right now, scaled to 75% so the biggest piece would fit, etc.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2381619

Some Pinko Commie fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Apr 6, 2018

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

ClassH posted:

This is what I did. Good printer but after 3 weeks I already want the MK3.

Yeah, this exactly. I know myself well enough to see that this is precisely what will happen.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

HardCoil posted:

Yeah, this exactly. I know myself well enough to see that this is precisely what will happen.

I used a random i3 printer but after finding out what you need to do an upgrade like putting in levelling:
Hope that a guide was written for your specific printer and the type of upgrade
Risking writing off support if you upgrade to manufacturer unsupported firmware because the firmware in your printer was super old and doesn't have support for that hardware

I had a Pegasus and working to include quality of life changes was a nightmare UNLESS you bought the lot from makerfarm.

Something like the mk3 did relive me of a lot worry and headache when the guy who made the original design of the majority of printers out there offers you a printer that says "kick back. Make some solid prints"

Ceive
Dec 19, 2006

thank pizza skeltal

A week into owning a CR-10s and I attempted my first "big" multi piece project. Used blender to chop up a 3d character, design a joint, and boolean it in all over the place. Took 14hrs originally to print. I didn't really know what I was doing at the time, so I printed all the pieces in the same direction as one big print job.

Here's the shared thing if anyone is interested: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2851814

With the cleaned up parts, print time might be halved. You can actually manipulate individual pieces now, instead of printing it as one big static piece like I did.

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice
So I gave the Hatchbox wood filament a try and got this result using Cura 3:

* The nodules that are on that model, I get those with standard PLA but not as many. What typically causes those nodules? As a side question: I've been using an Xacto knife to clean them up but I am curious what other folks are using.

* The torch went to hell, any recommendations on tweaks for that? I had layer height at .175 so I was next going to drop it down to .1 to see if I get any better.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

You might need a bit more retraction, or it may also be a little overextruded. Here's an enclosure I printed. I had a lot of stringing because my retraction settings are low but I cleaned it up somewhat with a hobby knife (the micro swiss all metal hotend said to keep retraction at like 1mm max so it's just kind of something I have to deal with, I guess). I figure the thinness of the walls and the texture of the material (being wood dust in plastic) may be giving it a bit of the rough finish but I've been considering increasing my flow rate a little bit and trying it again. I'm also going to be sanding it a bit before using it.
Click for huge:

It looks really rough in the photo but it's only 10cm long so it doesn't look as rough to the eye. Since it's wood based I was planning on giving it a stain after sanding which will probably give it more of a wood grain look instead of all cratered.

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009

Lowen SoDium posted:

I found this open source esp8266 and esp32 based firmware called ESP3D that looks like it does practically everything Octoprint does minus the camera part. Anyone here have any experience with it? I was thinking about trying it on one of the spare dozen WeMos chips I have.

I’d never heard of this but I’ll give it a try, thanks.

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice

Rexxed posted:

You might need a bit more retraction, or it may also be a little overextruded.

I’m still trying to figure out all the knobs on slicer settings. Thanks for the feedback, I’ll check out those settings.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
So, some progress.

My printer is pixie-hosed still but I've managed to create an extremely rough and slow profile that works(?) I'm using that to print off my hypercube parts and some spares just in case then it's time to take my cr10 to the glue (hypercube) factory

Edit: remind me to never go to Facebook groups for any sort of assistance

Jestery fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Apr 9, 2018

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009

Jestery posted:

Edit: remind me to never go to Facebook

No problem friend.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Has anybody set up Octoprint on their work LAN via Ethernet? I'm trying to configure a new installation for a 3d Printer at my desk buy it doesn't ever seem to be assigned an IP address so that I can SSH into it and finish setup.

Any ideas? Does an already-existing ".local" domain on the work LAN screw up setup?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Has anybody set up Octoprint on their work LAN via Ethernet? I'm trying to configure a new installation for a 3d Printer at my desk buy it doesn't ever seem to be assigned an IP address so that I can SSH into it and finish setup.

Any ideas? Does an already-existing ".local" domain on the work LAN screw up setup?

Sometimes your router will pick it up and add it to dns, sometimes it won't. Mine's been a problem with Octoprint, it just won't let me use a name to access it. I usually scan the devices on my LAN with something like Fing on my cell phone or this little netscan program for windows to find its IP:
http://www.mitec.cz/netscan.html
I know that guy's website looks like it was made in 1990 but I've been using that program for years just to find what's on what IP address. You can also just login to your router and look at the DHCP reservations.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Does an already-existing ".local" domain on the work LAN screw up setup?

Yes.

Octopi provides its octopi.local hostname through a protocol called multicast DNS which is OK for a home network but an obnoxious thing to put on a business network. You should ask your IT dept if they could give you a static IP for the device, or maybe if you give them the MAC address they could set up a DHCP reservation for a specific IP.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Oh, I missed that it was a work network. Maybe don't scan the work network.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

mewse posted:

Yes.

Octopi provides its octopi.local hostname through a protocol called multicast DNS which is OK for a home network but an obnoxious thing to put on a business network. You should ask your IT dept if they could give you a static IP for the device, or maybe if you give them the MAC address they could set up a DHCP reservation for a specific IP.

Ah. That shouldn't be a problem because the in-house IT guy is nerding out over the printer.

Rexxed posted:

Oh, I missed that it was a work network. Maybe don't scan the work network.

I've already been running scans with AngryIPScanner looking for the Octopi to pop up as a device (I have full access to the network, being in the engineering department and having to output things to so many machines on the network, both in the office and on the actual CNC machines in the shop).

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

erm... actually thieves should be summarily executed
Get the in-house IT guy to fix it, then.

FWIW we have octoprint running fine with the .local domains on our university network. You just can only access the printers via that address if you're on the same subnet. The actual IP is required if you're somewhere else on campus.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Doesn't OctoPrint display the IP address on the printer, or is that a plugin I've added and forgotten about?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

wolrah posted:

Doesn't OctoPrint display the IP address on the printer, or is that a plugin I've added and forgotten about?

That's a plugin that you've probably forgotten about, also probably won't work on the Monoprice Maker Select Mini.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Ah. That shouldn't be a problem because the in-house IT guy is nerding out over the printer.

I've already been running scans with AngryIPScanner looking for the Octopi to pop up as a device (I have full access to the network, being in the engineering department and having to output things to so many machines on the network, both in the office and on the actual CNC machines in the shop).

Plug a monitor into it and boot it up. I think it says the ip when dhcpd starts - or you can get a keyboard and just login to find it.

Captain Capacitor
Jan 21, 2008

The code you say?
Decided to track down and read through this thread once I saw my new printer (Anet A8) burned down a few places on Reddit.

:sigh: Time to replace a bunch of parts.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Captain Capacitor posted:

Decided to track down and read through this thread once I saw my new printer (Anet A8) burned down a few places on Reddit.

:sigh: Time to replace a bunch of parts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VK_K6fp4BIk

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008
Anyone have a MK3 in here? I've been seeing a few things about the layers not quite aligning properly. I was probably going to pull the trigger on the kit later this month or next if everything is ironed out.

foosel
Apr 2, 2010
I have a MK3. Quite happy with the quality, haven't noticed any alignment problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

foosel posted:

I have a MK3. Quite happy with the quality, haven't noticed any alignment problems.

Did you do the kit or buy it assembled?