Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

glad she is dead posted:

I really want to read Robert Caro's four-part biography of LBJ, but they're not on Kindle and I can't be bothered with carrying a real book around.

They are though? I gave them to my dad for Xmas last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Dave Grool posted:

They are though? I gave them to my dad for Xmas last year.

I'm in the UK and they're not on the British store. Possibly I can fiddle with my region settings... Thanks for the heads up!

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
The grocery stores, like every other company these days, are Downsizing so they have no cashiers. They have 2 out of 10/12 (depending on store) lanes open and 2 out of 6 express lanes open. In busy times. Like today. Sunday afternoon. Yes, that’s when a poo poo ton of people shop at this time. I stood in line for 25 minutes to buy three items. And I know they’re making a ton of profit cause it’s the most popular grocery chain in the city so I KNOW they have enough money to hire more cashiers.

Then I went to Trader Joe’s across the street and they had all lanes open cause you know, this is a busy time, and I bought my items in 3 minutes. Yes I was looking at my clock. And Trader Joe’s is EXTREMELY popular here but they loving know what they’re doing re: staffing and customer satisfaction.

Summary: hate all corporations/companies/franchises that downsize but love Trader Joe’s cause they don’t do that poo poo and are awesome in general and have low prices as well.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
My job better promote me. I’m literally acting as assistant Manager but I don’t have the actual position/pay and it’s bullshit. My favorite Manager (who left, I think I complained about it already) said I should be assistant manager. I know everything, I do everything, why am I not promoted.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Management point of view: because you’re already doing the job for less money.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
I don't know what you do or anything, but can't you specifically ask for a promotion or a raise? I worked in one of the shittiest workers rights industries (food service. Woo.) and even there if you asked for a raise and had earned one the KM/GM would at least hear you out. They never handed them out without asking directly. It's always worth a shot. If they won't listen to you, or if oldpayless is right, then I'd think quietly shopping for a new gig isn't a bad idea. You seem so miserable. :(:

My FWP is I have purchased too much seltzer and tonic but I'm out of gin. Bourbon and passionfruit seltzer isn't a good idea.

fizzymercury has a new favorite as of 02:53 on Apr 9, 2018

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

We rented a cabin for free this weekend and the fire was so big and so hot that we smoked ourselves out of it.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I bought too many videogames again

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k

fizzymercy posted:

I don't know what you do or anything, but can't you specifically ask for a promotion or a raise? I worked in one of the shittiest workers rights industries (food service. Woo.) and even there if you asked for a raise and had earned one the KM/GM would at least hear you out. They never handed them out without asking directly. It's always worth a shot. If they won't listen to you, or if oldpayless is right, then I'd think quietly shopping for a new gig isn't a bad idea. You seem so miserable. :(:

My FWP is I have purchased too much seltzer and tonic but I'm out of gin. Bourbon and passionfruit seltzer isn't a good idea.

I’ve had a lot of Managers and GMs say I should be promoted. Honestly I’d do way better than the new GM they just got. Maybe I should talk to the managers that support me some more.

Jobs here are hard to come by and this is a pretty easy job and people like me... eh maybe they’re using me in the bad way. I worked 6am to 10:30pm last weekend.

oldpainless posted:

Yup, just like my complaint about downsizing. Profit$$$$$$$$

E: maybe I should be more aggressive about being promoted? I am very quiet and chill IRL and don’t like conflict (but a very good manager cause everyone says so) so maybe that’s a detriment.

Thin Privilege has a new favorite as of 03:41 on Apr 9, 2018

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k
Quote =/= edit

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
My friend and I have been drifting apart. Used to talk every day and we did our online rpg nonstop. But poo poo with her family, plus her playing more WoW three nights a week, means I don't see her as much, and when we do meet up, we don't have much time for anything. It sucks because we used to be super close, and now it just feels like everything has settled. Ever since last summer, the urge to talk to her and rpg has just stagnated, and while it doesn't break my heart, the fact we pretty much go a week without talking says it all.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Same, but instead of family and WoW, it was a girlfriend and conservatism :sigh:

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Thin Privilege posted:

E: maybe I should be more aggressive about being promoted? I am very quiet and chill IRL and don’t like conflict (but a very good manager cause everyone says so) so maybe that’s a detriment.

Yes.

Edit for content: there's a cat on my lap and the remote batteries are dead.

kreyla
Dec 31, 2008
I spend too much time on the internet or playing mobile games when I could be reading, cooking, cleaning, embroidering...

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I've been craving McDonalds way too much these past few weeks. Like, every time my brain decides its hungry when its not lunch or dinner, it's screaming MCDONALDS MCDONALDS DOUBLE CHEESEBURGER PLAIN MEDIUM FRY LIGHT SALT NOW NOW MCDONALDS MCDONALDS.

So either I indulge (and I get annoyed at myself), or I don't, and whatever I do decide to eat is like half as satisfying because I want some McDonalds.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

oldpainless posted:

Yup. If you've already proved willing to do a higher pay grade job for a lower pay grade pay it's unlikely you'll get promoted. I had to deal with that in a job in the past. The excuse was "well we need everybody to help with that higher grade job when needed" but I spent the majority of my time doing that job instead of what my job actually was. If I complained about it nobody gave a single poo poo. It only ended when I quit.

Meanwhile I'd get constant poo poo for the actual responsibilities of my job being neglected as if it was somehow my fault people higher up on the ladder were constantly pulling me away from it. Which is another FWP, it seems; it was literally impossible to follow the rules of management at that job. Everybody would get told one thing by one manager then told something that directly contradicted it by another manager at the same rank. No matter what you did you were in trouble with somebody. Needless to say everybody's reviews reflected that but what could we do? It was in the depths of the Great Recession and the area was already economically in the poo poo hole.

Of course morale tanked, productivity went to poo poo, and management blamed the employees for having a bad attitude. Instead of bothering to ask the employees how they felt they cut hours to the bone, manufactured excuses to fire anybody making too much, and massively increased the cost of the medical benefits. But hey I'm sure it's all the non-management peoples' fault that everything went to poo poo immediately after that, all the best people left, and sales took a huge nosedive.

Judas Horse
Mar 24, 2018

ey im walkin simulator here
I was excited to go back to college. Honesty is the best policy i guess

:sigh:

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k
I was calling a place to schedule an appointment but I knocked over the glass of sparkling water I was drinking when I got up to get a note of, and the guy on the other like probably thinks it was booze and I’m paranoid he thought I was an alcoholic. Also he was very rude to begin with. My questions WERE kind of dumb but I have no idea how this place works so I was asking simple, basic questions on how they work and he talked to me like I was an idiot. I hope they send a survey because it was a very unpleasant conversation.

Looks like there’s nothing in the email to review this guy. Bleh. I always do reviews and I always have good customer service so I leave good reviews, so this was a completely different experience and I want them to know! :argh:

Thin Privilege has a new favorite as of 15:25 on Apr 10, 2018

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
I've read about the Simpsons' writers' response to the Apu thing, and it made me super mad.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Judas Horse posted:

I was excited to go back to college. Honesty is the best policy i guess

:sigh:

Christ, this can't be real.

Judas Horse
Mar 24, 2018

walrusman posted:

Christ, this can't be real.

Yup. Totally separate from my "analyze a meme" paper in the same class. I'm assuming it's supposed to be "fun" but in a class that talks a lot about systematic racism and relative vs absolute poverty it feels like tonal whiplash.

Current assignment:

Meme paper assignment (sorry for blur):

I chose homelessness for my millennial/current issues paper because I was homeless before and maybe that was a bad choice?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

That sounds like it could be a fun assignment. Also, it's just 3 pages. Just use Judith Butler as your theorist. Professors love her. Talk about how gender being a social construct connects to memes being constructs or whatever.

Mu Zeta has a new favorite as of 12:01 on Apr 11, 2018

Judas Horse
Mar 24, 2018

Thankfully the meme analysis paper is done and I used it to talk about peer groups influencing linguistics and dialects. That one was pretty alright I think, it was just the current topic one I got tripped up on. Since it's super basic soc intro I went with Weber and Cooley.

I decided to just go with a format meme instead for the homeless one instead of attempting a macro, tho. I thhiiink that went okay but still. The paper itself is way easier than the meme.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I'm about to be offered a job I don't want as soon as I fill out this medical check form

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug
I've got a new phone on the way and I am already a bit annoyed that I need to do the whole setup stuff until I'll have it the way I like it...

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I actually might take this job. I originally applied for it without reading the job description, it hadn't been added to the listing by mistake. I interviewed for a different job there I wanted more and lost out in the third round after I detonated in the second interview. In that interview I did mention to the interviewers that the job I'm about to be offered is one I didn't read the job description for. Good to do.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Judas Horse posted:

Yup. Totally separate from my "analyze a meme" paper in the same class. I'm assuming it's supposed to be "fun" but in a class that talks a lot about systematic racism and relative vs absolute poverty it feels like tonal whiplash.

Current assignment:

Meme paper assignment (sorry for blur):

I chose homelessness for my millennial/current issues paper because I was homeless before and maybe that was a bad choice?

I took this general education class called "writing about images". I like visuals, I'm into landscape photography and I like making videos about travel so I thought it would be a good choice.

My first clue should have been a My Little Pony character added to the course outline. I should have chosen something else.

We started out analyzing renaissance art and photojournalist shots. Then it turned to memes. And it stayed with memes for the second half of the course.

A large part of our final exam mark involved bringing in a meme of our choice and writing an essay on it. I was cynical, bitter, and angry, so I chose the worst example I could think of at the time:

I wrote an essay about a comic mocking B^U

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
I don't want to quit my job but I realize that I really, really absolutely should have done so several months ago.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

I've technically been offered a job except the job doesn't actually exist yet. The company is waiting for some contracts to be signed before they know exactly the number of positions that are opening but they can't give me any idea of how long it might be and I'm just kind of left hanging here. I have to move out of my apartment at the end of the month regardless but I really don't want to have to move in with my parents while I wait and I can't start a lease down where the job is until I have a confirmed paycheck.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

There is a job that I'm qualified for but it's +100% my salary so there is no way they'd consider me.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I prepared the perfect cup of coffee (Folgers, 4 spoonfuls of sugar, generous pour of flavored creamer) but a mosquito landed in it :(

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
more like oldtoothless

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Pillbug

oldpainless posted:

I prepared the perfect cup of coffee (Folgers, 4 spoonfuls of sugar, generous pour of flavored creamer) but a mosquito landed in it :(

Good, that sounds like a real poo poo coffee. That mosquito died for your sins.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I'm gonna make a cup of coffee right now, with four sugars and lots of creamer, and there's not a goddamn thing any of you can do to stop me.

My first world problem: I wanna write a quick plot exercise thing just to clear my brain out a little but there's like five or six I want to do and I have no idea which one to do.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Pillbug
My FWP is that I care how people drink their hot(or cold) bean beverage.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Cold brew coffee is garbage. In 10 years people will look back on it like we do frappuccinos. Garbage drink for garbage people.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
All coffee tastes the same before you add sugar and milk and everyone that says otherwise is playing an extra bizarre game of pretend.

(I drink my gas station coffee black with too much splenda. I call it "depression soup")

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I only started tasting the difference when I got a good coffee grinder and started using a french press or pour overs and avoided the crappy Mr. Coffee drip machines. Also lighter and fresher roasts. If you're just using tinned coffee then yeah there's no difference.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
Okay, I will concede the point that well made coffee done with care is delicious in a wonderful way. But dammit, I break a french press within a week, I always overgrind, and god DAMMIT the light roasts give me worse heartburn.

I'm coffee illiterate and I hate soda, but I love my caffiene so sad Mr. Coffee it is.

(I'm not bitter, you are. Also so is this drat coffee.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

My coffee FWP is that nobody ever has natural sweetners like stevia or monk fruit. I don't like artificial sweetners (except in diet soda).