Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

marshmallow creep posted:

My friend, may I introduce you to the works of Hugo Award nominated author Chuck Tingle?

Chuck Tingle's next release: Fisted In The Butt By The Truck That Delivered My Copy Of This Book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

AlbieQuirky posted:

That's half the plot of Season Two of Slings and Arrows.

richard nixon said that

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Chuck Tingle's next release: Fisted In The Butt By The Truck That Delivered My Copy Of This Book.

Pounded in the butt by Amazon's book delivery drones

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Pounded in the butt by Amazon's book delivery drones

Oh, is Tingle the showrunner for next season of Philip K. Dick's Electric Dreams? Real appropriate, the more I think about it.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

AlbieQuirky posted:

That's half the plot of Season Two of Slings and Arrows.

Jesus christ, somebody else watched Slings and Arrows?

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Poor Miserable Gurgi posted:

Jesus christ, somebody else watched Slings and Arrows?

It's a very popular show with the theatre set.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

It's a very popular show with the theatre set.

Well yeah. It was required viewing in my undergrad Arts Management class. Other theatre people in the wild just seem rare.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Well yeah. It was required viewing in my undergrad Arts Management class. Other theatre people in the wild just seem rare.

we're out there, and we're vaguely employable

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

trapped mouse posted:

we're out there, and we're vaguely employable

I know all of my knots and I'm really good at the different moods colored lights convey. If you need a sailor or a lamp salesman, I'm your guy.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
My terminal degree in arts and crafts finally landed me a job with benefits, and I feel so vindicated.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

My terminal degree in arts and crafts finally landed me a job with benefits, and I feel so vindicated.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Nice "comic", Randall!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Zil posted:

So what book would be like getting fisted by a truck. Asking for a friend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUhMLg-WCnI&t=94s

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Can't believe I read that whole thing and it didn't goatkcd at the end.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
cannot even tell you what the gently caress happened in 1881 these idiots were writing about

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

To be honest a lot had happened.
Some highlights:

Wikipedia posted:

June 26 – War of the Pacific – Battle of Sangrar: Peruvian and Chilean forces battle to a draw.

July 2 – Assassination of James A. Garfield: United States President James A. Garfield is shot by lawyer Charles J. Guiteauin Washington, D.C. The wound becomes infected, killing Garfield on September 19.

July 14 – Billy the Kid is shot and killed by Pat Garrett, outside Fort Sumner, New Mexico.

July 20 – American Indian Wars: Sioux chief Sitting Bull leads the last of his fugitive people in surrender to United States troops at Fort Buford in Montana.

August 3 – The Pretoria Convention peace treaty is signed, officially ending the war between the Boers and Britain.

September 19 – President James A. Garfield dies eleven weeks after being shot. Vice President Chester A. Arthur becomes the 21st President of the United States.

September 26 – Godalming in England becomes the first town to have its streets illuminated by electric light(hydroelectrically generated).[3]

Brewmaster
Dec 10, 2007

Hi! I'm awkward.
Most folks couldn't even tell you what happened in 1981, even if they lived through it. Our collective understanding of history is ridiculously low. Hence this excellent comic, which is pinned up on the wall of like every history professor ever.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

So much better a comic.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

1981 is when raiders of the lost ark came out

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
1981 is when I was conceived.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
gently caress all y'all, I was stoned for most of 1981 so I remember almost nothing (16 year old so what?)

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

To be honest a lot had happened.
Some highlights:
Huh, that actually was a legit year. I feel like if I counted presidents backwards I might ever have been able to guess the assassination was that year. Maybe.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Absurd Alhazred posted:

1981 is when I was conceived.

hot

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
The comic does mention Garfield

BlockChainNetflix
Sep 2, 2011
I hate Eighteenhundays

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I did not realize Garfield was such a popular president at the time that they'd describe his death with rolling waves of grief covering the land.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Ccs posted:

I did not realize Garfield was such a popular president at the time that they'd describe his death with rolling waves of grief covering the land.

People like cats, what can I say?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Ccs posted:

He was dying for weeks. It was a big deal as a lot of people made attempts to save his life including Alexander Graham Bell who tried to get the bullet out with his new invention of a metal detector. You don't have to be super popular president for people to get upset at the idea that the country's leader is dying a slow, painful death.

The assassination was also a major scandal which lead to significant reforms to the political system in order to reduce corruption. The person who shot Garfield worked on his campaign and felt he was owed a job (typically the minor campaign functionaries got jobs like a local postmaster which in the 19th century had plenty of room for making money). The Conkling guy mentioned in passing in the quote was a big proponent of the patronage system where these political favors would be handed out after each election and was at the center of the controversies around it.

And in the end, the assassination is nothing more than a trivia question today. The significant shift in how the US government functioned isn't even worth mentioning unless you're studying the gilded age.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The best fact about the guy who assassinated President Garfield, Charles Guiteau, was that he was such a weirdo that he joined a sex cult and couldn't get laid. His nickname there was "Charles Get-out."

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I believe he felt owed a justice of the peace job, specifically. Imagine killing the president for that.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

muscles like this! posted:

The best fact about the guy who assassinated President Garfield, Charles Guiteau, was that he was such a weirdo that he joined a sex cult and couldn't get laid. His nickname there was "Charles Get-out."

I didn't know that. That's pretty good.

I knew that he was too poor to afford the gun that he used to kill the president. He wanted the one with pearl handles because it was going to "go in a museum" but he could only afford the one with wood grips. The gun store owner took pity on him and let him have the pearl grips for the same price as the wood. The pistol has since been lost.

The Moon Monster posted:

I believe he felt owed a justice of the peace job, specifically. Imagine killing the president for that.

As I recall, he wanted to be the ambassador to Vienna, but would have settled for France.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

I knew that he was too poor to afford the gun that he used to kill the president. He wanted the one with pearl handles because it was going to "go in a museum" but he could only afford the one with wood grips. The gun store owner took pity on him and let him have the pearl grips for the same price as the wood. The pistol has since been lost.

Its genuinely kind of impressive that this man managed to gently caress up in every way possible except one.

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I miss my cat someone buy me a kitten.

I think there's a Dollop podcast about that story (the assassination and the guy who did it etc). I'd find it and link but effort. Oh okay, here it is: http://thedollop.net/wp/episode-48-dollop/

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

and here's the live video.

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

Was hoping for live video of the Garfield assassination. Link did not deliver. :colbert:

e: Oh, wait, it was right there. Can't believe I missed it.

Esplanade has a new favorite as of 06:48 on Apr 13, 2018

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

1stGear posted:

Its genuinely kind of impressive that this man managed to gently caress up in every way possible except one.

Wild theory: he only meant to threaten the president, and it went off by mistake?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Nope, he wrote about it in length in his diary and he stalked the prez on multiple occasions until he gathered his courage.
Like, it's hard to find an assassin more determined then Guiteau.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I've mentioned that the 'lone nut' used to be the best kind of assassin, since their motives don't have to make sense from an outside perspective, they work alone so there's less opportunity to track them via accomplices, friends and organisations, and they aren't necessarily afraid of being caught.

Though nowadays they're all posting what used to be their private diary entries as extremely public screeds on the internet at every possible opportunity and can be spotted miles off.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

"Dear subscribers, today I've decided that Vienna is the place for me and if that ungrateful Garfield can't see this then his replacement will!"
*Displaying the pistol as if it's QVC*
"Please like and subscribe!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

As I recall, he wanted to be the ambassador to Vienna, but would have settled for France.

Huh, I've had multiple teachers say it was justice of the peace but all the info I can find online does indeed say ambassador.