Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Those elusive 4K/144hz/HDR/G-Sync monitors have started appearing in stores, for the low low price of €2440 (about $3000)

https://www.techpowerup.com/243184/4k-ultra-hd-monitors-with-144-hz-refresh-rate-and-g-sync-hdr-start-being-available

Get yours today! :homebrew:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

repiv posted:

Those elusive 4K/144hz/HDR/G-Sync monitors have started appearing in stores, for the low low price of €2440 (about $3000)

https://www.techpowerup.com/243184/4k-ultra-hd-monitors-with-144-hz-refresh-rate-and-g-sync-hdr-start-being-available

27” :smith:

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

It's too early for 4K/144 monitors anyway, the limitations of DisplayPort 1.4 mean they have to compromise on quality to cram the data down the wire.

DP1.4 can only do 4K/120/LDR or 4K/100/HDR uncompressed, so the 4K/144/HDR mode must be relying on Display Stream Compression or plain old chroma subsampling.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Does DSC produce meaningful artifacts? I haven’t seen an analysis of it.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Q8ee posted:

I'm going for the XB271HU, it was £550 on the 6th April, I just missed out on a good deal. I've put a price watch and will swipe it up the next time it drops again. There's a website that is still offering it for that price, but I want to wait until Amazon drops their price again cause I much prefer their customer service.
It's $599 on newegg this week. I know that doesn't map 1:1 to uk prices.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Apr 10, 2018

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

Does DSC produce meaningful artifacts? I haven’t seen an analysis of it.

I don't think there are any implementations of DSC in the wild yet, so who knows. Maybe these new monitors will be the first.

lol at paying 3 grand for a monitor with any kind of compromise though

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

repiv posted:

I don't think there are any implementations of DSC in the wild yet, so who knows. Maybe these new monitors will be the first.

lol at paying 3 grand for a monitor with any kind of compromise though

Even with DP1.5 or whatever, 4K is a compromise vs 5K, 144Hz vs 200Hz, etc.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

repiv posted:

lol at paying 3 grand for a monitor

ftfy

altho depending on what happens with video cards and ram, that might end up being not the most expensive component

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
I bought a ASUS ROG PG278Q right out of the gate (the first 1440p TN gsync monitor) and I've been waiting for the next upgrade for the past 4 years. I haven't seen a huge leap unless it's an Ultra-Wide, and I don't want an Ultra-Wide because computer games already have enough compatibility issues as is. And fuuuuck those $3000 monitors, I'll buy a 4K TV before that.

Should I just say gently caress it and buy the two-year-old XB271HU while it's on sale?

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

lDDQD posted:

well, two things need to happen:

1) we need interfaces that can actually push that many pixels / second
2) we need display tech that actually has the dynamic range for 10-bit+ color precision to make sense. it could be OLED or LCD with per-pixel dimming backlight, but neither of those are a thing yet.

without these conditions, you end up with severely compromised desings that no-one would want to buy - and then, what's the point of developing them and bringing them to market if they won't sell?

E: also, you're not going to have the graphics horsepower to comfortably drive 4k @ 144hz for at least 2 more generations, so you're looking at 2020-ish anyway.

repiv posted:

It's too early for 4K/144 monitors anyway, the limitations of DisplayPort 1.4 mean they have to compromise on quality to cram the data down the wire.

DP1.4 can only do 4K/120/LDR or 4K/100/HDR uncompressed, so the 4K/144/HDR mode must be relying on Display Stream Compression or plain old chroma subsampling.
These two limitations focus on the pixels/framerate required, but the big plus to me (That's currently causing me to wait...) is the very high contrast produced by the HDR tech. Really looking forward to that!

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
PSA: Newegg has the Acer CB271HU 1440p IPS monitor for $230, FreeSync range 40-75 hz. On NVIDIA or pre-GCN-1.1 AMD the panel will show as 60 Hz, but you may be able to overclock it with CRU, ymmv.

Not the world's finest gaming monitor, but a good price for your basic secondary monitor for multi-screening/photo editing/etc.

repiv posted:

Also, get ready for some powerful BLB and filth trapped in the panels, yields are going to be low and we're going to be seeing the same cycle of manufacturers shipping every panel that's at least kinda-not-broken.

Wouldn't even be surprised to see it be "144 Hz overclockable, 120 Hz guaranteed" either.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Apr 10, 2018

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
Any opinions on that Asus 1080p monitor that can do 244hz?

Thinking about side/downgrading from my Asus PG278Q because a couple power outages really hosed this thing up. I have random rainbow streams across the top of the screen viewable against light background, the backlight bleed has always been horrendous, there's a small pinpoint area where something happened with the antiglare coating to make it turn completely white against greyish-grey white backgrounds, and the screen itself looks like I'm looking through a dirty window akin to the antiglare coating on older Dell monitors (got way worse after the power outages). There's also a nice bug where occasionally a portion of the left screen will display on the right edge of the screen (this can only be fixed via a firmware update by sending the thing into Asus).

It was also a refurb I got off of Amazon direct for $500 when this thing was retailing for like $800-$1000+ so that's probably the real heart of these issues aside from the lovely wiring in the house and the power company doing stupid poo poo on an almost weekly basis now. It had a good 2-3 year run. It is for sure time to invest into a battery backup system but anyways....

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16824236421

It's either that, look at some other 1440p or 4k monitors, or wait patiently for the Asus PG27UQ coming end of April or May.
Prices were released today in Euroland stating an approximate price of $2500 but it's rumored that will go down to $2000 or less for US release. Still, that's just a 4k 144hz "HDR" IPS panel that's only 8bit which probably means not true HDR. You can also buy 4k OLED TVs that are 10bit for about that price or less.

Still.....

4k... 144hz.... "HDR-ish" with 1000 peak nits, and a fuckton of pixel density due to packing in so many little pixels on a 27" screen sounds really really nice. I think people take pixel density for granted but maybe that's just be since I'm usually sitting pretty drat close to the screen burning my eyeballs out.

And is there anyone here with one of the LG/Asus/Alienware/Dell "HDR" monitors that can comment on that? Is there a noticeable "pop" to colors and dark/lights comparable to HDR on an OLED or QLED set? Or is it truly just marketing bullshit at this point in the realm of monitors?

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
I just want 27” 4K, G-sync and like 90-120Hz without HDR, that’d be sweet. It doesn’t seem to actually exist, though. I can get 4K/60Hz but then above that is just these new 2500€ things.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

The Acer Predator XB271HU arrived today. Bit embarrassing that Amazon sent it out without any bland packaging, so all my neighbours got to see the "Gaming Monitor Gamer Fuel XL E-Sports Ready!" packaging the thing came in when the postman brought it to my door.

The colour settings are off, whites look more egg-white / greyish than pure white. I'm using this Reddit post to set my colour settings to his Option 2, but it didn't fix anything. My old ASUS VG248QE just looks much better: whites are white, colours pop. What would you guys suggest I do to make the Acer monitor look as good as possible? Even used Tom's Hardware settings, and it's the same.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Apr 11, 2018

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
This might not be your issue, but on several occasions since the Windows 10 Creators Update, the nVidia drivers have decided to enable HDR on one of my displays (that does not support it), which leaves everything looking washed out - perhaps check that in nVidia Control Panel -> Display -> Change Resolution. The 3rd option allows you to specify explicit colour settings.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

didn't help, unfortunately. stuff still looks pretty ugly.

another thing that has surprised me is my GTX 1080 chugs so hard when I play For Honor at 1440p. Was getting pretty terrible lag spikes, usually at the worst times (getting me killed). Had task manager opened and my GPU was blazing away at 100% load, and my FPS would dip to 5 too often for my liking.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Q8ee posted:

The Acer Predator XB271HU arrived today. Bit embarrassing that Amazon sent it out without any bland packaging, so all my neighbours got to see the "Gaming Monitor Gamer Fuel XL E-Sports Ready!" packaging the thing came in when the postman brought it to my door.

The colour settings are off, whites look more egg-white / greyish than pure white. I'm using this Reddit post to set my colour settings to his Option 2, but it didn't fix anything. My old ASUS VG248QE just looks much better: whites are white, colours pop. What would you guys suggest I do to make the Acer monitor look as good as possible? Even used Tom's Hardware settings, and it's the same.

Are you sure you aren't just used to a display that's configured to a color temperature that's much too high and oversaturated colors? Your description of "white" sounds typical for a display that's correctly calibrated to 6500 K.

In that case, try messing with the color temperature setting. But if it's like the Asus, is should be pretty perfect right out of the box. Also: If there are any, disable any "energy saving" features. Those tend to lead to terrible brightness pumping.

Q8ee posted:

No one cares.

Fame Douglas fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Apr 11, 2018

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What if they think the grown adult purchasing a 600 dollar monitor is a child for playing video games in 2018 :ohdear:

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

Fame Douglas posted:

Are you sure you aren't just used to a display that's configured to a color temperature that's much too high and oversaturated colors? Your description of "white" sounds typical for a display that's correctly calibrated to 6500 K.

In that case, try messing with the color temperature setting. But if it's like the Asus, is should be pretty perfect right out of the box. Also: If there are any, disable any "energy saving" features. Those tend to lead to terrible brightness pumping.

This happened to me with my first decent TV. I was using a colorimeter to calibrate it and was shocked at how bad the neutral setting was. I decided to see just how much worse the 'Warm 2' preset was for shits and giggles and it turned out to be nearly spot on. I've since gotten used to it and can't stop noticing how often other peoples' displays have a distinct blue tinge.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

After you guys posted that 34" 1440p Alienware I have got the itch. Is that pretty much the best 1440p monitor you can get right now? Talk me out of pulling the trigger next time it goes on sale.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Kaedric posted:

After you guys posted that 34" 1440p Alienware I have got the itch. Is that pretty much the best 1440p monitor you can get right now? Talk me out of pulling the trigger next time it goes on sale.

If you want ultrawide, yes.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

It owns extremely hard.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Wacky Delly posted:

If you want ultrawide, yes.

I thought the x34p had slightly better specs, is it not holding up?

Hard to really go wrong with the Dell support tho

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Azhais posted:

I thought the x34p had slightly better specs, is it not holding up?

Hard to really go wrong with the Dell support tho

How does it have better specs? It's the same resolution and dimensions but only does 100hz native and overclocks (sometimes?) to 120hz when the Dell officially supports the 120hz. And yeah, Dell is 3-year no-questions-asked cross-ship replacements.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Kaedric posted:

Costco was selling it for $999. With their extra coverage of electronics bought through them, it's the first time since buying it I wish I'd waited.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I have no idea how much it's going to cost, but I'm holding out for the LG 34" 5K ultrawide, or the 32" 4K Freesync HDR model being released later this year. I think I'd rather pay for extra pixels/screen real estate over refresh rates and g-sync for gaming.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Costco was selling it for $999. With their extra coverage of electronics bought through them, it's the first time since buying it I wish I'd waited.

Yeah someone linked to buildapcsales and I JUST missed that deal (it was posted 11 hours previously and already sold out) or I would have pulled the trigger.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Zero VGS posted:

How does it have better specs? It's the same resolution and dimensions but only does 100hz native and overclocks (sometimes?) to 120hz when the Dell officially supports the 120hz. And yeah, Dell is 3-year no-questions-asked cross-ship replacements.

It has better color options technically

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Fame Douglas posted:

pretty sure this was it. I'm used to a TN panel with brightness and contrast set all out of whack. I've slowly adjusted to the new screen. One of the settings goofed up, but changing from warm > blue > user again fixed it and stuff looks a lot better.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Q8ee posted:

pretty sure this was it. I'm used to a TN panel with brightness and contrast set all out of whack. I've slowly adjusted to the new screen. One of the settings goofed up, but changing from warm > blue > user again fixed it and stuff looks a lot better.

This is a good database to use as a starting point, as most of the profiles were done with calibrators, and there are bound to be multiple entries for your display - if there's multiple revisions of a monitor, generally there's a file for each revision. Don't forget that in addition to the ICC file, the data points to the right are what they set RGB and contrast/brightness to: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/icc_profiles.htm

EDIT: Seems the XB271HU isn't there. Welp.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Apr 12, 2018

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

repiv posted:

is there a freesync version yet?

not because i have amd, but I bet they're 500e cheaper :v:

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

Zero VGS posted:

The X34P has hardware gamma control, the Alienware does not.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
My only regrets with the Alienware are:

1. I didn't wait to give my money to Costco, but credit card warranties help at least
2. The box is large

If you can afford it, can use G-Sync, can benefit from ultrawide, and the negatives of IPS displays don't bother you there's not much reason to delay getting it if you're in the market for a new large monitor.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Does the Alienware have ULMB?

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Zero VGS posted:

There is no difference in the refresh rates, both are 100Hz and then you toggle 120Hz in the OSD.

The X34P uses a slightly newer panel revision, it supports 10bpc (8b + FRC) where the Dell doesn't, and is rated slightly higher out off the box for sRGb coverage etc.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Odd Mutant posted:

Does the Alienware have ULMB?

Nope.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

drat, that's a pretty huge caveat. I love ULMB to pieces.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Why do most freesync monitors cut strobing? It's super annoying. I don't want to pay the gsync tax but I do want strobing.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

BurritoJustice posted:

There is no difference in the refresh rates, both are 100Hz and then you toggle 120Hz in the OSD.

The X34P uses a slightly newer panel revision, it supports 10bpc (8b + FRC) where the Dell doesn't, and is rated slightly higher out off the box for sRGb coverage etc.

Does the X34P definitely support 8bit+FRC color? I bought one the week they came out and expected to just be able to set 10-bit color output in the Nvidia control panel, but that didn’t work so I’ve always been running it at 8bit color. Is it some kind of app-specific fullscreen thing?

I remember trying to do some research on it when I first got the monitor but wasn’t able to find much information on how 8bit+FRC is supposed to work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Khorne posted:

Why do most freesync monitors cut strobing? It's super annoying. I don't want to pay the gsync tax but I do want strobing.

Part of the reason why there's a price difference between G-Sync monitors and everything else is that nVidia requires them to be of better quality and have more features. Even when a monitor has Freesync there's a wide variation in the feature set (e.g. effective range, LFC, etc.)