Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

MassRafTer posted:

He was in the Wyatt Family though.

Still better than MIA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I love the collective response to the HUGH G RECTION announcement at Slamboree - it's basically the audio equivalent of :rolleyes: , and these are wrestling fans we're talking about here.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

It couldn't have happened to a nicer rear end in a top hat.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Could Roman drag a ****1/4 match out of The Wall?

No but the wall could get five out of the big dogs ysrd

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

The Wall was so good he could get someone to cheer Reigns

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Could Roman drag a ****1/4 match out of The Wall?

It would probably lose points for lack of aggression, since Roman takes about 5 minutes before he hits the wall

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

Jerusalem posted:

It would probably lose points for lack of aggression, since Roman takes about 5 minutes before he hits the wall

Oh you card.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

I'm watching the first episode of Thunder on the Network. Is this show supposed to feel like it lasts 80 hours?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Doc Morbid posted:

Is this show supposed to feel like it lasts 80 hours?

wcw.txt

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
This stat from the 3/19/01 Observer is nuts.

quote:

The gap in viewers is actually more than the ratings indicate since ratings are determined by households and WWF averages 1.62 viewers per household and WCW averages 1.35. The scary stat of the week was in the head-to-head hour, Raw was watched by 1,145,000 teenagers while Nitro had 57,000, roughly 20-to-one.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

What in the world would teenagers be caring about in 2001 WCW. DDP?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

D.N. Nation posted:

My favorite thing about these Observers is that Nitro main events with Jarrett are always the lowest rated. Meanwhile Lex Luger main events? The highest rated.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

D.N. Nation posted:

Big Poppa Pump

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

MassRafTer posted:

My favorite thing about these Observers is that Nitro main events with Jarrett are always the lowest rated. Meanwhile Lex Luger main events? The highest rated.

The people have good taste

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
You don't have to be a refined gourmet to recoil when someone fires a sewage hose directly into your mouth.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

RZApublican posted:

Big Poppa Pump

He was world champ at the time so he sure as hell wasn't bringing the youths.
Goldberg was probably the only person who could come close and I'm not even sure he was on TV at the time.
And even then it was far too late.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

ChrisBTY posted:

He was world champ at the time so he sure as hell wasn't bringing the youths.
Goldberg was probably the only person who could come close and I'm not even sure he was on TV at the time.
And even then it was far too late.

He'd been taken off TV.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

MassRafTer posted:

Sexy Lexy for Observer HOF

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I would always much rather watch The Total Packeej than THA CHOSIN WON and I don't care who knows it.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
If you're not watching late era wcw for Scott Steiner wondering why wcw never hired nature boy number one, buddy rogers, and following it with "I know hes dead God rest his soul" then why are you watching it

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I apologize for bringing this up, but did Jeff Jarrett ever have a single fan, anywhere, ever? I've accepted that America has Neo-Nazis but I can't wrap my head around the concept of a Jeff Jarrett fan. Again, I'm sorry for mentioning it.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

RZApublican posted:

Big Poppa Pump

I went to a Nitro post-Fingerpoke as a high schooler and....yeah, Steiner ripping on the crowd was probably my favorite part. But that was 1999 though.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Halloween Jack posted:

I apologize for bringing this up, but did Jeff Jarrett ever have a single fan, anywhere, ever? I've accepted that America has Neo-Nazis but I can't wrap my head around the concept of a Jeff Jarrett fan. Again, I'm sorry for mentioning it.

The OSW Review lads seem to like him for some reason, but I try not to hold it against them.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Halloween Jack posted:

his wife

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Whenever I would rent WWF tapes when younger I always got a kick out of Tenessee Lee's intro of the guy.

He should have feuded with Flash Funk and had Lee turn on him and back Funk as Hennessy Lee.

WCW Jarrett was the loving worst though.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Kurt Angle's wife

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Even his wife was ripped off from a much better wrestler.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

His finisher was actually worse than the Skull crushing finale and seemingly targets his opponents forearm as that is the only part of their body to hit the mat hard.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

corn in the bible posted:

Kurt Angle's wife

no the first one. She really liked him. I dunno about this current one.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Halloween Jack posted:

Vince Russo

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.

coconono posted:

no the first one. She really liked him. I dunno about this current one.

That's why Jarrett sucks, she loved him and he just buried her.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Hedgehog Pie posted:

The OSW Review lads seem to like him for some reason, but I try not to hold it against them.

Nah, he's not even a "boy." He just gets mentioned a lot because he features heavily in the eras they cover. Realistically, they just like having a chance to repeat the "never drew a dime" meme.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Jeff Jarrett holding up Vince McMahon for more money is extremely cool and good.

Nearly dying in an IWA-MS lockerroom because he couldn't keep himself under control...not so much

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Everyone should extort Vince McMahon, it's the most ethical act in wrestling. Only good thing Warrior ever did.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

coconono posted:

Jeff Jarrett holding up Vince McMahon for more money is extremely cool and good.

Nearly dying in an IWA-MS lockerroom because he couldn't keep himself under control...not so much

It wasn't for more money, it was for money he was owed.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Randaconda posted:

It wasn't for more money, it was for money he was owed.

Buddy I don't know how to tell you this but he wasn't owed well into the six figures for back PPV money.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

coconono posted:

I don't know anything about this incident. Can you explain more or give a link?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

NikkolasKing posted:

I don't know anything about this incident. Can you explain more or give a link?

He got drunk as poo poo, Karen got drunk as poo poo. They either got into it with each other or someone else and it was enough of a thing that Ian Rotten took to Facebook saying he'd never book JJ again.

here's a version of the story:
https://www.cagesideseats.com/indie...otten-indy-show

And before you but butbutbut Ian didn't pay, Ian never pays. Everyone knows this. Ian's banned from promoting in Louisville because he doesn't have his finances in order.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MassRafTer posted:

Buddy I don't know how to tell you this but he wasn't owed well into the six figures for back PPV money.

The story has always been told he just asked for the money he would normally get over the next few months from residuals and stuff as one lump sum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Randaconda posted:

The story has always been told he just asked for the money he would normally get over the next few months from residuals and stuff as one lump sum.

Uh, that story has been told by Jeff and not many others. To the point where some in WWE at the time floated that Russo may have purposefully made sure Jarrett kept the belt after his contract ran out to increase his buddy's leverage. He was paid well into the six figures to drop that title, it was more than just his back PPV checks. Do you think JR got in trouble and Vince held a Lex Luger sized grudge against a guy because he wanted his back PPV money? He got something like a third of what he made for all of 99 for that night.