Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
I love it when these senators thank Suckerberg and praise him for doing the bare minimum. It's very revealing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/drankwilliamsjr/status/984057972195282944?s=20

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

paul ryan, the guy who was recorded conjecturing that trump was being bribed by putin, welcome to #theresistance

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

GalacticAcid posted:

that's impossible! randy bryce is an underdog outsider who only outraised his opponents by a factor of ten

whiskeyjuvenile lite

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Suck Zone: Pelosi's going to gently caress up the cafeteria again too

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal

rudecyrus posted:

I love it when these senators thank Suckerberg and praise him for doing the bare minimum. It's very revealing.

he’ll do anything to avoid a GDPR type regulation

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Here's a fun drinking game. Drink every time:

-- Someone thanks Zuck for coming and/or praises him for the smallest thing

-- Zuck prefaces a sentence with "Congressman/congresswoman/senator"

-- A conservative congressperson complains about conservative voices being silenced

-- Zuck mentions something about AI

Enjoy your alcohol poisoning.

rudecyrus has issued a correction as of 19:26 on Apr 11, 2018

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Also, Collins loving disgusts me.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

SKULL.GIF posted:

whiskeyjuvenile lite

i am glad that my good posts have made an impression on you, and that they occupy part of your brain

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
*acts like an rear end in a top hat*

"Dude, you're acting like an rear end in a top hat."

"By noticing me, actually you're the rear end in a top hat," he said, like an rear end in a top hat.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
so yesterday zucc was all "we don't sell data"

has he explained how cambridge analytica got the fukkin data then?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

sliderule posted:

Congress knows all about receiving money from someone, and giving them something other than money, being two completely separate events that have nothing to do with each other

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

sliderule posted:

they dont sell the data. they sell access to the data. they claim to still own the data.

or, he lied in lawyerese and the congress assholes let him get away with it

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Shear Modulus posted:

they dont sell the data. they sell access to the data. they claim to still own the data.

hey man information wants to be free

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Shear Modulus posted:

he was saying poo poo like "we find accounts to serve ads to, nobody has access to the data" which seems to beg the question about ca

gently caress why do we let septuagenarians legislate technology again? the staffers write good questions but the old cucks don't understand it so they can't follow up meaningfully.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

i still identify this with wj

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

sliderule posted:

he was saying poo poo like "we find accounts to serve ads to, nobody has access to the data" which seems to beg the question about ca

gently caress why do we let septuagenarians legislate technology again? the staffers write good questions but the old cucks don't understand it so they can't follow up meaningfully.

its not that they actually don't understand the subjcet matter. theres nothing hard to understand about facebook being a monopoly and entirely unregulated and using its monopoly power to gently caress everyone else over. the important piece is that they are paid not to do anything and the easiest way to do that is to let zuckerberg weasel out of everything

i enjoyed this article about the hearings: https://theintercept.com/2018/04/10/facebook-the-senate-is-afraid-to-govern-thats-great-news-for-facebook/

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Nonsense posted:

i still identify this with wj

it was me way before and was only wj for like a day

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

sliderule posted:

CA got the data by harvesting it from public profiles. Facebook also used to let people harvest their friend's data when they used an app, even if the friend never opted in. They had an "honor system" not to do it, so obviously that was extremely dumb.

FB doesn't sell data because there's far more money in being an exclusive platform that serves ads than selling the actual stuff you harvest from users. You can target 18-25 year olds but you don't get to see who those people are, because that way if you want to advertise to them you have to pay FB again and again.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I can't remember where I saw it and I can't find it now but apparently CA harvested data from 370k accounts in AUS/NZ with only 52 people taking their quiz thing. if that's true it's loving insane.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

(chokes on drink while reading putin)

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
*leftistly* how dare you criticize my favorite democrat

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
Also Obama 2012 tried to do the exact same thing CA did but Facebook cut them off before they could deploy it to scale so lol

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

also: how is Michael Jordan on there, do British people not know any basketball players from the last 20 years

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

GalacticAcid posted:

*leftistly* how dare you criticize my favorite democrat

skim whiskeyjuvenile

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

my favorite part of the poll of british people of who their most admired men and women are is that theresa may only gets like 2%

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

cucked by the stach

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

loquacius posted:

also: how is Michael Jordan on there, do British people not know any basketball players from the last 20 years

exactly?

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

smdh at the succ party

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Why would you pick MJ at all, I wonder, if you don't keep up with basketball enough to know, eg, LeBron James' name

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

GalacticAcid posted:

the democrats are too retarded to make every election a referendum on Paul Ryan, a broadly hated imbecile with unpopular and cruel politics.

instead they fantasize about the GOP house leadership joining #teh #resistants and impeaching trump for RUSSIAAAAAA

OH MY GOD RUSSISSSISISIISISSISIISISIAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

a prescient pos't

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
Why do Schumer and Hillary do so much free work for the Republican party? I just saw an article that Democrats could potentially block Pompeo but lol succ

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica

loquacius posted:

Why would you pick MJ at all, I wonder, if you don't keep up with basketball enough to know, eg, LeBron James' name

south africanishly: Ahem! whet about Kebe Brent?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

papa horny michael posted:

Why do Schumer and Hillary do so much free work for the Republican party? I just saw an article that Democrats could potentially block Pompeo but lol succ

I stand by my initial interpretation, which is that Pompeo approached Hillary and she was so jazzed up at the idea of someone thinking she was still important and relevant that she didn't even consider what his policy stances were before agreeing

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Why wouldn't they do free work for their own party?

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

south africanishly: Ahem! whet about Kebe Braaiant?

this is pretty convenietn actually

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Cuck Schumer

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

loquacius posted:

they admire his virtuouso work in space jam

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Matt Zerella posted:

Cuck Schumer

• Locked thread