Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

"Autopilot But Ole Musky Kills You For Using It"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Plane autopilot also relies on proper avionics to know where the plane is relative to the earth since it cannot pass through matter without engulfing everyone in flames but musky decided to tackle that same problem on the ground much closer to solid objects that will kill the occupants with a couple webcam sensors and a gpu

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

qirex posted:

it's telling that theranos' employees didn't even get acquihired or anything, talk about resume poison

*during job interview*
so did you knowingly participate in the multibillion dollar fraud scheme or were you too stupid to notice it was happening?

yeah, there will be no operation paperclip for theranos employees

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
is it even two cameras

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Plane autopilot also relies on proper avionics to know where the plane is relative to the earth since it cannot pass through matter without engulfing everyone in flames but musky decided to tackle that same problem on the ground much closer to solid objects that will kill the occupants with a couple webcam sensors and a gpu

The Russians used a pencil driver.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

it cannot pass through matter without engulfing everyone in flames
we never should have stopped development of oscillation overthruster technology

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Schadenboner posted:

Im the continued use of the chosen-to-be-misleading product name.

If it's Cruise Control call it "Cruise Control", if it's "Slightly-improved Cruise Control" then call it "Cruise Control 2: Cruise Harder". Do not call it "Autopilot" jesus loving christ.

you don’t raise mountains of VC cash on truths

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

FMguru posted:

we never should have stopped development of oscillation overthruster technology

any excuse to post this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MqJ3iGBdOo

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

buckaroo banzai was referenced in ready player one so it's not cool anymore, sorry

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

that was the first DVD we ever owned :allears:

my dad likes that song so much that he looped the DVD audio out of the computer and back into the line in and recorded the song off it using only the best late-90's recording software so he could put it on CD's and listen to it on the go

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

ate all the Oreos posted:

that was the first DVD we ever owned :allears:

my dad likes that song so much that he looped the DVD audio out of the computer and back into the line in and recorded the song off it using only the best late-90's recording software so he could put it on CD's and listen to it on the go

the menu system for the dvd is awesome, looks like the cockpit of the rocket truck and has random overthruster beeps

some trivia about the end credits song: when they filmed that part the song wasn't ready, so instead they played "uptown girls" to give the actors a beat to walk to. same tempo!

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

ate all the Oreos posted:

a good dad

the best gift i ever got my dad was a "banzai institute test vehicle" bumper sticker for his truck

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
this is a pretty good indication that people don't know what google does.

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

Schadenboner posted:

Im the continued use of the chosen-to-be-misleading product name.

*buys Turbo Dick Sucker 9000*

Hey guys check this out! Pretty cool huh?

*VRRRRR 10mm sounding element begins making its way prostateward*

Customer service: well what did you expect?

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

FMguru posted:

a good dad

the best gift i ever got my dad was a "banzai institute test vehicle" bumper sticker for his truck

my dad has a yoyodyne propulsion systems tshirt

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Shaggar posted:

this is a pretty good indication that people don't know what google does.

shaggar is... right?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i will actually defend zuck on this one

much of the rural land in hawaii has uncertain /contested title because traditional law from before the occupation still applies, and inheritance rules were pretty complicated back in the day

zuck bought a large parcel of land and then went to court to settle the title -- i.e. loudly announce that he has good reason to believe he has a claim to the land, and all other claimants to any part of the larger parcel should come forward

some claimants came forward and they were compensated, and the title was perfected. now no future buyer will have to worry about this process.

closed: WONTFIX, working as intended

you're forgetting that he did this in coordination with one of the people who owned part of the land to be bought, who was seeking to have title assigned to himself for all the parts that might have been land belonging to his family, in order that he could consolidate those claims inside and outside of where the zuck wanted to buy

this way he'd both get more money from the zuck and have clear title to all the land that might have probably belonged to his brother/cousin/aunt etc. iirc a similar local resident did the same sort of thing when that oracle guy was buying a lot of land in hawaii too

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
ellison just straightup bought an island next to maui iirc

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

pro move imo

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

why isn't he in atherton

even mentioned in that link:

quote:

Board member Peter Baltay said he was concerned the four houses wouldn’t even be separate residences.

“These are part of a larger compound,” Baltay said at the time. “This is something you might find in Atherton: A large estate, a series of guest houses, recreational facilities, movie theaters surrounding a house.”

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

ellison’s cat island rules

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

The Leck posted:

ellison’s cat island rules

quote:

Do you like the island? My grandmother had an island. Nothing to boast of. You could walk around it in an hour, but still it was, it was a paradise for us. One summer, we went for a visit and discovered the place had been infested with rats. They'd come on a fishing boat and gorged themselves on coconut. So how do you get rats off an island? Hmm? My grandmother showed me. We buried an oil drum and hinged the lid. Then we wired coconut to the lid as bait and the rats would come for the coconut and... they would fall into the drum. And after a month, you have trapped all the rats, but what do you do then? Throw the drum into the ocean? Burn it? No. You just leave it and they begin to get hungry. And one by one... they start eating each other until there are only two left. The two survivors. And then what? Do you kill them? No. You take them and release them into the trees, but now they don't eat coconut anymore. Now, they only eat rat. You have changed their nature. The two survivors.

except with h1-bs

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Enderzero posted:

Tesla is not great at PR:

"We are very sorry for the family's loss.

According to the family, Mr. Huang was well aware that Autopilot was not perfect and, specifically, he told them it was not reliable in that exact location, yet he nonetheless engaged Autopilot at that location. The crash happened on a clear day with several hundred feet of visibility ahead, which means that the only way for this accident to have occurred is if Mr. Huang was not paying attention to the road, despite the car providing multiple warnings to do so.

The fundamental premise of both moral and legal liability is a broken promise, and there was none here. Tesla is extremely clear that Autopilot requires the driver to be alert and have hands on the wheel. This reminder is made every single time Autopilot is engaged. If the system detects that hands are not on, it provides visual and auditory alerts. This happened several times on Mr. Huang's drive that day.

We empathize with Mr. Huang's family, who are understandably facing loss and grief, but the false impression that Autopilot is unsafe will cause harm to others on the road. NHTSA found that even the early version of Tesla Autopilot resulted in 40% fewer crashes and it has improved substantially since then. The reason that other families are not on TV is because their loved ones are still alive."

it's not unsafe... just unreliable

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
this catastrophic failure mode is merely imperfect, unreliable,

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
it's actually in hal 9000 mode by default. the autopilot made a mistake and so destroyed the car to hide the evidence

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

why isn't he in atherton

i know i've mentioned this before but every time i see 'atherton' i think of William Atherton, whose roles I've seen have always been those of puffed-up assholes, and therefore assume that everyone in Atherton is like those characters

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
you are correct

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

FMguru posted:

except with h1-bs

wait why would there only be two rats left, one would eat the other this is a bullshit story

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

FCKGW posted:

wait why would there only be two rats left, one would eat the other this is a bullshit story

it's a metaphor

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
not a very good one but that's what it is

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

yea but why not make the metaphor have a single, alpha rat? unless they need two rats for fuckin and truckin

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

i don’t know the rat trap seems effective, let all the rats die and just use it again next time a shipment comes in

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

probably sometimes there would be other animals in there so the rats would also learn to eat all the animals on the island, probably eventually running out of food and turning on the humans

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
maybe the real coconuts were the rats we met along the way

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

im the rat that doesn't care for coconut after being trapped in a cannibal death cage

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

FCKGW posted:

Improbable Lobster posted:

not a very good one but that's what it is

FCKGW posted:

yea but why not make the metaphor have a single, alpha rat? unless they need two rats for fuckin and truckin

I thought James Bond and Raoul Silva were the two rats left in the barrel?

Source: I think I watched Skyfall?

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Apr 12, 2018

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

planes also come with a wide assortment of obnoxious alarm klaxons and robot voices that planes fire off if it looks like you made the autopilot do something stupid, I think someone posted the ones from the 747 in this thread earlier

like imagine if your Tesla sounded like this every time you came to a highway split or stuck an orange in the steering wheel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2vqmVVZHYE

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
what you should really do is designate half the rats as prisoners and the other half as guards

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Improbable Lobster posted:

what you should really do is designate half the rats as prisoners and the other half as guards

I don't see how that would prevent CFIT though?

:ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

lol