Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
I deeply hope they completely remove the latter half of the movie's plot and replace it with something completely different.

Also I don't really get why those fancy new bracer things aren't allowed in the exam. They're just weapons, no different from swords or knives, and they allow those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Mymla posted:

I deeply hope they completely remove the latter half of the movie's plot and replace it with something completely different.

Also I don't really get why those fancy new bracer things aren't allowed in the exam. They're just weapons, no different from swords or knives, and they allow those.

I think they've already said earlier that they will not just be doing a straight adaption of the movie and will be changing some things up a bit. They kind of have to considering the other characters that have been added to the plot since then and the fact that movie Boruto and series Boruto are almost two completely different characters.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the only issue i had with the movie was boruto being a total brat, but that was after i had already watched a bunch of the tv series where he's not that. i think they've been good about setting that stuff up slowly in the wake of the genin exam, so other than a drop in animation quality, I'm looking forward to the movie arc.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Caros posted:

Jesus Crist we gonna die!

that stupid comic makes me laugh every single time i think about it

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Mymla posted:

For one thing, they were a prototype that no one else had access too (and not because they were less tricky than Boruto, or even because he had access to better resources that he would continue to have access to as a chunin, but because the scientist guy just handed it to him).

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Silver2195 posted:

For one thing, they were a prototype that no one else had access too (and not because they were less tricky than Boruto, or even because he had access to better resources that he would continue to have access to as a chunin, but because the scientist guy just handed it to him).

also it would mean that the exams would be based around strategy and/or skill rather than who has the most magical eyeballs, and that would destroy everything konoha stands for

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Mar 2, 2018

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
A magical bracer that gives you all magic isn’t exactly fair.

As Naruto pretends doing multiple magic types is hard.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

CharlestheHammer posted:

A magical bracer that gives you all magic isn’t exactly fair.

neither is eyes that shoot fireballs or being a living bug swarm or whatever

hard work is a joke in the leaf village, whoever has the best genes wins

the magical bracers would give the plebs a chance and we can't have that

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I think the actual issue was that they were brand new. Only the Leaf had access to a very limited amount of them at the time.

Once they become more widespread I imagine they would be allowed like any other tool.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I rather liked the manga chapter. The strategy they used to take care of Ao made me think back to the early chapters of Naruto.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Darth TNT posted:

I rather liked the manga chapter. The strategy they used to take care of Ao made me think back to the early chapters of Naruto.

Yeah that was a really clever use of that sword.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Yinlock posted:

also it would mean that the exams would be based around strategy and/or skill rather than who has the most magical eyeballs, and that would destroy everything konoha stands for

Shikamaru was the only person who passed the one exam we saw on-panel.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I can't believe they actually called all the way back to Naruto never bothering to retake the chuunin exam

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
I'm not sure if dripping nose or crying is the worst super power.

And I'm also not sure if there's anything weirder than staying up all night making unironic fursuits for your team.

Furthermore, I'm not sure if boruto/sarada or wasabi/namida have lamer lovers quarrels.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
yeah not wildly enthusiastic about the genin girls' powers being turn into a cat girl and cry really loudly

dudermcbrohan
May 14, 2013
yeah the crying thing’s not great but i like that this new generation has a cat girl since kiba didn’t have kids apparently

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Being a catgirl is a pretty good superpower tbh.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Is it specifically loud crying, not just loud generic noises? That seems too niche.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

HitTheTargets posted:

Is it specifically loud crying, not just loud generic noises? That seems too niche.

It's a sound wave created by shouting. I assume she will have other variations of it later on.

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!
And we've started with the movie content. But it seems different enough. I dont think the whole mine and white zetsu amalgamation was in the movie

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So why couldn't Naruto have just sent a Shadow Clone to his son's party at the very least? That aside, I like that they're basically remaking the movie from scratch rather than just doing a straight adaption. Which makes sense seeing as Movie Boruto and Series Boruto are almost two completely different characters at this point.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Have you never been so busy that you forgot to make a call or send a text to give someone an update you said you would?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Larryb posted:

So why couldn't Naruto have just sent a Shadow Clone to his son's party at the very least? That aside, I like that they're basically remaking the movie from scratch rather than just doing a straight adaption. Which makes sense seeing as Movie Boruto and Series Boruto are almost two completely different characters at this point.

I think in the movie he did send a Shadow Clone which is what pissed him off there.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

I think in the movie he did send a Shadow Clone which is what pissed him off there.

That was for Himawari's birthday which is still yet to come, and the only reason he found out was because it tripped and disappeared while carrying the cake.

Dexo posted:

Have you never been so busy that you forgot to make a call or send a text to give someone an update you said you would?

Fair point.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Mar 29, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The movie adaptation has officially begun and it's already better than it's counterpart. It's nice at least that they seem to be adding some stuff/changing things around rather than just playing it straight.

I swear, this show is basically the Anti-Dragon Ball GT with the anime writers seeming to have a better handle on the characters than Kishimoto did. It's leagues better than Shippuden at the very least.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
It's leagues better than Naruto ever was tbh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FI6hkOxz-yY
Looking back, naruto was actually just so bad it's good. If I hadn't been literally 14 when I started watching it I wouldn't have gotten past the first 10 episodes.

Remember the flashbacks? The flashbacks in flashbacks to flashbacks you saw last episode? Jesus christ shippuuden dragged things out mercilessly.

Mymla fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Apr 11, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I think it might have gotten a little better as it went on (not by much though) but yeah, the pacing in early Shippuden is glacial (not sure if it's quite One Piece-level bad but it's close). Considering how annoyed people got with the constant filler arcs in both shows it's kind of ironic that the Boruto anime has wound up being the best thing to come out of this franchise in a while.

To be fair though, some of said filler was entertaining at the very least and I do like how they expanded on some stuff the manga just kind of glossed over (Anko & Orochimaru, the hosts for the other Tailed Beasts, Kaguya's backstory, a believable reason why Naruto and Sasuke could be considered friends, etc). Some of the little extra segments they did at the end of each episode early on were kind of funny too.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Apr 11, 2018

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
I didn't know what anime filler was until I was like 50 episodes into the pre-timeskip filler block and I asked the internet why the show got so loving dire right after the fight by the waterfall.

I tried watching some of the shippuuden filler, and while it wasn't as actively terrible as the earlier stuff, it was still bad and I skipped nearly all of it.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
At this point Boruto the Movie has been remade more than Spider-Man's origin story.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Larryb posted:

I think it might have gotten a little better as it went on (not by much though) but yeah, the pacing in early Shippuden is glacial (not sure if it's quite One Piece-level bad but it's close). Considering how annoyed people got with the constant filler arcs in both shows it's kind of ironic that the Boruto anime has wound up being the best thing to come out of this franchise in a while.

To be fair though, some of said filler was entertaining at the very least and I do like how they expanded on some stuff the manga just kind of glossed over (Anko & Orochimaru, the hosts for the other Tailed Beasts, Kaguya's backstory, a believable reason why Naruto and Sasuke could be considered friends, etc). Some of the little extra segments they did at the end of each episode early on were kind of funny too.
The reason why One Piece started dragging so badly is because they decided to stop filler arcs almost completely and move into one episode = one issue format, and there's a lot of issues that don't make a good 20 minute episode on top of all the breaks the Manga has, it'll still probably end up catching up to the manga again soonish.

Bleach and Naruto Shippuden dragged on so bad because they decided to insert filler arcs or flashbacks to pad out the series so they didn't catch up. Problem with Bleach being that one issue, especially towards the end, could honestly have been about 2 minutes of animation at best.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
another problem with bleach filler is that they had to cut into that ridiculous single arc that lasted for years in real time and like a day in the story repeatedly. so on top of the filler arcs being terrible, they also couldn't fit into continuity because there were no openings for them to happen.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Hell, Shippuden was still doing filler arcs and dragging things out after the manga had already ended. Though that was probably due to the fact that the show was popular and they didn't want to risk ending it too soon and losing their time slot.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Apr 12, 2018

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Larryb posted:

Hell, Shippuden was still doing filler arcs and dragging things out after the manga had already ended. Though that was probably due to the fact that the show was popular and they didn't want to risk ending it too soon and losing their time slot.

I think the flashback filler with Kaguya, the Sage, Asura, and Indra served a legitimate purpose in expanding on elements that were handled rather abruptly in the manga, but the filler set inside the Infinite Tsukuyomi was unnecessary, and the filler set in a novel inside the Infinite Tsukuyomi was both a silly idea and a rehash of the Road to Ninja movie.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Super Sentai Jinchuriki was totally worth it, though.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
So it looks like they are adding a Third member to Momoshiki's group that was originally intended to make that group a trio, but was cut for time constraints. It also appears that Momoshiki may just be an agent of the Otsutsuki main family. Not it's head or anything.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Apr 12, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Silver2195 posted:

I think the flashback filler with Kaguya, the Sage, Asura, and Indra served a legitimate purpose in expanding on elements that were handled rather abruptly in the manga, but the filler set inside the Infinite Tsukuyomi was unnecessary, and the filler set in a novel inside the Infinite Tsukuyomi was both a silly idea and a rehash of the Road to Ninja movie.

True, though I did kind of like Killer B's dream and the one where Tenten wound up in the Road to Ninja universe. The novel one did go on way longer than it should have though. The arc about how Sakura and the others became Chunin also wasn't terrible (though it wasn't great either).

Like I said, one of the things I liked about the Naruto anime was how it expanded on some stuff the manga just glossed over (another example would be the relationship between Anko and Orochimaru, which is only mentioned maybe twice in the entire manga). They also managed to turn Tenten into more of an actual character rather than just a glorified piece of scenery (and I mean that literally, Kishimoto has admitted that the only reason she exists at all is to fill out Team Gai. Otherwise all of her fights, techniques and character development are anime exclusive).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Apr 12, 2018

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Larryb posted:

The arc about how Sakura and the others became Chunin also wasn't terrible.

I actually watched this one, because I thought there was no way they'd be able to gently caress it up, but apparently I was wrong. It was just like 10 episodes of everyone running around in a desert not doing anything.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Yinlock posted:

neither is eyes that shoot fireballs or being a living bug swarm or whatever

hard work is a joke in the leaf village, whoever has the best genes wins

the magical bracers would give the plebs a chance and we can't have that

To be fair, the living bug swarm thing actually requires practice and training and a lot of personal sacrifice from what we understand. They aren't born like that, they have to specifically become a living bug hive from an early life and cultivate their swarm for their entire lives or be useless. It's like the Inuzuka dogs where sure, they're clan based, but they still need to train and practice and learn to work with their ninja dogs or they're useless. The eyes are probably the only bullshit, and even then it's just the Sharingan and variants because they actually do just outright give you cool powers no extra work required. Whereas the Byakugan on it's own just gives you cool sight, using it effectively in a fight still requires a poo poo-ton of training.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Lord_Magmar posted:

To be fair, the living bug swarm thing actually requires practice and training and a lot of personal sacrifice from what we understand. They aren't born like that, they have to specifically become a living bug hive from an early life and cultivate their swarm for their entire lives or be useless. It's like the Inuzuka dogs where sure, they're clan based, but they still need to train and practice and learn to work with their ninja dogs or they're useless. The eyes are probably the only bullshit, and even then it's just the Sharingan and variants because they actually do just outright give you cool powers no extra work required. Whereas the Byakugan on it's own just gives you cool sight, using it effectively in a fight still requires a poo poo-ton of training.

I don't think the base Sharingan gives any extra cool powers, It's only the evolved states. The Byakugan has a broken evolved state too. Kakashi even outright considers the base Byakugan better then the normal Sharingan.