Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/robwhisman/status/948329627650613250

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Jack B Nimble posted:

Yeah I think I was a bit too kind in that characterisation: sometimes Ben Shapiro's comments are understandable within a rational frame work grounded in reality, and sometimes he's a insane conspiracy theorist. What surprised me most was when I found out he wasn't ranked near the bottom of the pile for my choices, he's among the top, I mean I'd listen to him before I listen to Sargon of Akkad.

I listened to maybe three of Ben's recent podcasts and at one point he argued that the black and white reactionaries in Pleasantville were right. He didn't seem aware of any irony or humor in the assertion.

I'm downloading cum town now, surely it's at least...self aware.

Oh, and to clarify I agreed with his assertion that supposedly neutral news reporting type stories in the guardian have a clear pro gun control bias.

Ben Shapiro is an awful, pedantic transphobe and racist and his opinions have no place in rational society.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
You may as well complain about anti-smoking biases in articles about lung cancer.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

This is incredible.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Spoeank posted:

Ben Shapiro is an awful, pedantic transphobe and racist and his opinions have no place in rational society.
And he's also just lame af and extremely throwable. Like the way he interacts with hip hop is enough reason for him and his listeners to kill themselves even if he were more dog whistle and less Obviously Hates Non-Whites.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
https://www.lawfareblog.com/lawfare-podcast-niall-ferguson-square-and-tower

Niall Ferguson argues in his new book, “The Square and the Tower: Networks, Hierarchies and the Struggle for Power,” that the powerful role of networks has often been overlooked. At the Hoover Institution earlier this month, Ferguson spoke to Jack Goldsmith about why historians have glossed over networks, the rightful place of networks in the study of history, and what the modern dominance of social networks means for the future of power.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I don't remember if I first heard about imaginary Worlds in here or not, but I love it. The (real-world) history, innerworkings, and context of virtual, imaginary, and created worlds. As in, not the history of the peoples of that world, but our historical context to them, the technologies and philosophies that allowed them to be created.

Also really been enjoying Astonishing Legends.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Mar 31, 2018

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012
Good news for all you Inward Empire fans! https://twitter.com/iepodcast/status/980511099069100032

feedmyleg posted:

I don't remember if I first heard about imaginary Worlds in here or not, but I love it. The (real-world) history, innerworkings, and context of virtual, imaginary, and created worlds. As in, not the history of the peoples of that world, but our historical context to them, the technologies and philosophies that allowed them to be created.

Really enjoying this. Thanks!

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

I would listen to this entire episode if they ever made it

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

420 Gank Mid posted:

I would listen to this entire episode if they ever made it

:same:

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

https://twitter.com/iepodcast/status/980818494001426433

a punishment earned

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

PerilPastry posted:

Really enjoying this. Thanks!

Also been enjoying Flash Forward, a podcast that was referenced on Imaginary Worlds. It's about exploring the concepts within possible futures, as well as less possible futures.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Y'all listen to the British history podcast right?
https://www.thebritishhistorypodcast.com

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Lawman 0 posted:

Y'all listen to the British history podcast right?
https://www.thebritishhistorypodcast.com

If they don't then they are missing out.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

420 Gank Mid posted:

Jokes aside Ben Shapiro is probably among the least awful of the bunch and he may even be within spitting distance of 'moderate' on somethings, so if you can't even stand him the closest you're going to get to a 'good conservative podcast' is probably something like NPR/PRI's Marketplace or The Economist Radio

Most of conservative media is either in homage to the angry radio talk show hosts like Father Coughlin or Rush Limbaugh. Or the modern version of that, weepy youtube pedants like Sargon of Akkad and Jordan Peterson who upload 5 hour long stream of conscious monologues about rootless cosmopolitans, cultural bolshevism, and lobster hierarchies

e: Chapo Trap House is unironically a good suggestion because they do reading series from all sorts of conservative pundits. From older established conservative venues like National Review or the Federalist and from new kid conservatives like Ben Shapiro and Jack Posibec who've cultivated their own following through podcasts/twitter/youtube instead of print media

I applaud your subtlety and nuance in portraying Jordan Peterson as a rabid, frothing-at-the-mouth, Jew hater.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
One time, some students at U of T glued Jordan Peterson's door shut and he got so mad, he was shouting and red in the face, lmao

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Philosophers have done worse, take Shopenhauer:

quote:

One day, a cleaning lady made what he considered to be an excessive racket outside his rooms. He asked her to quiet down, which led to an argument. Push came to shove, and the lady ended up at the foot of the stairs. The local court ruled in favor of the Putzfrau, and Schopenhauer was ordered to pay her a monthly sum of money for the rest of her long life. When at last she died, the philosopher opened his journal and penned what is arguably the greatest Latin pun of all time: Anus obit, onus abit.

http://maverickphilosopher.typepad.com/maverick_philosopher/schopenhauer/

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

CountFosco posted:

I applaud your subtlety and nuance in portraying Jordan Peterson as a rabid, frothing-at-the-mouth, Jew hater.

The only thing that gets Jordan Peterson frothing-at-the-mouth mad isn't Jews but rather unsupervised toddlers who don't show him enough respect

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

420 Gank Mid posted:

The only thing that gets Jordan Peterson frothing-at-the-mouth mad isn't Jews but rather unsupervised toddlers who don't show him enough respect

And Disney movies that don't conform to Jungian archetypes.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I can't say I've ever been a huge Ezra Klein fan but gently caress did he ever take Sam Harris behind the woodshed. What a loving destruction. Klein is as smart as Harris THINKS he, himself is.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I don't know Harris is but thanks for this, I have Klein's show on auto download but only actually listen to some interviews, I'll give this one a go.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Jack B Nimble posted:

I don't know Harris is but thanks for this, I have Klein's show on auto download but only actually listen to some interviews, I'll give this one a go.

Count yourself lucky.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

mcmagic posted:

I can't say I've ever been a huge Ezra Klein fan but gently caress did he ever take Sam Harris behind the woodshed. What a loving destruction. Klein is as smart as Harris THINKS he, himself is.

Imagine getting owned by Ezra Klein

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Ezra Klein beat the brakes off that guy, but in a polite way, it was a lesson in how to give critism. The third time Ezra said Sam's last statement "was actually really helpful" I'd been conditioned to wince in anticipation of the oncoming slam.

History of Britain podcast is good.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Apr 12, 2018

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I didn't see it posted in the OP but History on Fire is pretty great in my dumb awful opinion.

Mostly because its consisten as compared to Hardcore History (which is great), a bit shorter, and Bolleli is so chill with how he speaks he puts me to sleep if I'm laying down.

His Gladiator series is great.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Jack B Nimble posted:

History of Britain podcast is good.

Does it get better? I stuck with it a long time, almost 100 episodes, but I had to give up because the guy is just so long-winded I couldn't take it. There's too much pop psychology and amateur philosophizing, which can sometimes work but the delivery just didn't do it for me. To me it has a vibe like a middle school history class or something... hard to put my finger on it so I'll just say he's an over-explainer. Also, like a lot of middling history podcasts, if the host would only learn to pause between paragraphs like Robin Pierson (of History of Byzantium), it would be a lot more listenable. Anyways, I was hoping that it would improve once the amount of source material increased, but at the speed he was progressing, I ran out of patience. Is it worth skipping ahead?

Ninja edit: this is in reference to the "British History Podcast"... is "History of Britain" something else?

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Ezra Klein didn't "beat" Sam Harris. Two incoherent thinkers engaged in a dialogue which proves the incoherency of each of their positions. And Klein's politeness is a thin veneer, behind which is an ideology which is ultimately dehumanizing.

I can't listen to Bolleli because I literally cannot understand his accent.

I still listen to the History of Britain podcast, but it's getting difficult because it's frustrating to hear the history viewed through his political bias. And there remains the pop-psychology and stuff. Still, I'm fascinated enough by the actual nation that I endure it.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

CountFosco posted:

I can't listen to Bolleli because I literally cannot understand his accent.

What? C'mon. I started listening to his "Conquest of Mexico" series yesterday, no problems whatsoever. Plus it's nice to have a podcaster from outside the anglo-saxon culture (raised & educated, I realize he lives in the US) for a change.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I remember listening to a few episodes of the British History podcast and thinking it was garbage. Even in the first few he was drawing sweeping conclusions about poo poo we know next to nothing about. There are decades in the history of the Isles that have maybe, maybe a single paragraph to describe them. The idea that you could tell a factual narrative history with such scant sources is laughable.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Gaius Marius posted:

I remember listening to a few episodes of the British History podcast and thinking it was garbage. Even in the first few he was drawing sweeping conclusions about poo poo we know next to nothing about. There are decades in the history of the Isles that have maybe, maybe a single paragraph to describe them. The idea that you could tell a factual narrative history with such scant sources is laughable.

he's usually pretty good at discussing his sources and their reliability as he moves from one topic/time period to the next

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

SurgicalOntologist posted:

Does it get better? I stuck with it a long time, almost 100 episodes, but I had to give up because the guy is just so long-winded I couldn't take it. There's too much pop psychology and amateur philosophizing, which can sometimes work but the delivery just didn't do it for me. To me it has a vibe like a middle school history class or something... hard to put my finger on it so I'll just say he's an over-explainer. Also, like a lot of middling history podcasts, if the host would only learn to pause between paragraphs like Robin Pierson (of History of Byzantium), it would be a lot more listenable. Anyways, I was hoping that it would improve once the amount of source material increased, but at the speed he was progressing, I ran out of patience. Is it worth skipping ahead?

Ninja edit: this is in reference to the "British History Podcast"... is "History of Britain" something else?

Sorry, yeah, "British History Podcast". I'm only 3 episodes in and was happy to have access to what the feed showed was a years long, 100+ episode podcast. If you've listened to that many episodes and don't like it, you're the one that should be educating me. I may get tired of it too, but I'm a sucker for "start to finish" histories.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
The British History Podcast gets a lot better when it gets into the Saxon period

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Hard to tell what'll scratch the itch for particular listeners, and I haven't listened to The History of Britain, but personally I've enjoyed The History of England podcast, so that's a potential alternative.

eta:

https://thehistoryofengland.co.uk/

Red Dad Redemption fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Apr 16, 2018

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Annual Prophet posted:

Hard to tell what scratch the itch for particular listeners, and I haven't listened to The History of Britain, but personally I've enjoyed The History of England podcast, so that's a potential alternative.

eta:

https://thehistoryofengland.co.uk/

This one is really great. The dry humor adds a lot too, imo.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Lately the history of England feed has been acting up for me, but I've just been using the normal RSS feed. Anyone have like an alternative link?

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh
The History of English Podcast gives a pretty good history of Europe, then England itself, by way of the history of the English language. One of my favourite pure dry informational podcasts.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

mike12345 posted:

What? C'mon. I started listening to his "Conquest of Mexico" series yesterday, no problems whatsoever. Plus it's nice to have a podcaster from outside the anglo-saxon culture (raised & educated, I realize he lives in the US) for a change.

What does your second sentence have to do with anything? I'm not a cultural chauvinist. I just have a difficult time with his accent. Other people than you find stuff that you find easy challenging sometimes. This is not a hard concept.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Honestly we need more Slavic representation in the podcast arena. This lack of cultural diversity is truly upsetting.

Oh wait nevermind, its just a history podcast and I care less about their cultural origin or ethnicity and more about how well they convey the information about the topic.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Apr 17, 2018

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Unfunny Poster posted:

Honestly we need mire Slavic representation in the podcast arena. This lack of cultural diversity is truly upsetting.

Oh wait nevermind, its just a history podcast and I care less about their cultural origin or etnicity and more about how well they convey the information about the topic.

Its almost like the culture you grow up surrounded and immersed by impacts your understanding of history, and we can benefit from exposing ourselves to the stories of those who have had different experiences than us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

420 Gank Mid posted:

Its almost like the culture you grow up surrounded and immersed by impacts your understanding of history, and we can benefit from exposing ourselves to the stories of those who have had different experiences than us.

I never said not to expose yourself to people with different experiences though? Like I pretty clearly am saying don't hold someone's race or ethnicity as a measure to whether or not you should listen to them. Call me crazy but that seems like a thing only a racist does or thinks is a good thing. Care more about how well they convey the information and if its accurate or not.