Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

Chamuska posted:

I've read several sources from the past that, The Roman Kingdom and Early Roman Republic utilized Phalanxes and Greek style combat.

Is that true and if so why did they change it?

Yeah, the roman army was originally hoplite-based. I don't think we know exactly when and how the transition happened but at some point after getting owned by gauls and samnites the military was reorganised as maniples rather than huge hoplite blocks and primarily armed with swords (save the oldest, most experienced and most stubborn soldiers who still used hoplite-style spears)

edit: beaten, with more detail

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

peer posted:

Yeah, the roman army was originally hoplite-based. I don't think we know exactly when and how the transition happened but at some point after getting owned by gauls and samnites the military was reorganised as maniples rather than huge hoplite blocks and primarily armed with swords (save the oldest, most experienced and most stubborn soldiers who still used hoplite-style spears)

edit: beaten, with more detail

since you mentioned swords, it's worth noting that the transition to swords was later than the transition to maniples. that comes around a hundred years later when rome starts going on military adventures in hispania, where the native celts were all armed with swords

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Did the development of the manipular system also represent a further development of Roman administrative/training ability? It seems like something that an earlier Rome or a lesser state might not've been able to pull off.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Jazerus posted:

since you mentioned swords, it's worth noting that the transition to swords was later than the transition to maniples. that comes around a hundred years later when rome starts going on military adventures in hispania, where the native celts were all armed with swords

The Romans had adopted the Gladius well prior to the 2nd Punic War when they first went to Hispania. I think it’s believed they copied it in the early 200s after yet another Celtic incursion into Italy.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

I was under the impression the Maniple system also saw the transition away from hoplite equipment as well as tactics. I'm having a devil of a time trying to find info on this on the net at the moment, but I thought the Romans simply used a local short sword up until they took the design of the gladius hispaniensis from the spanish tribes.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

WoodrowSkillson posted:

I was under the impression the Maniple system also saw the transition away from hoplite equipment as well as tactics. I'm having a devil of a time trying to find info on this on the net at the moment, but I thought the Romans simply used a local short sword up until they took the design of the gladius hispaniensis from the spanish tribes.

i think this is correct, yeah, though spears remained in a lesser capacity until the marian reforms phased them out of the core legions. they used an etruscan design until the punic war period.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
When do they adopt javelins as well as/instead of heavier fighting spears?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

When do they adopt javelins as well as/instead of heavier fighting spears?

AFAIK its when manipular switch happens, since they based it on the fighting style of the Samnites, who were kicking their rear end. Of course it may have been a gradual thing, the big part was the abandonment of the hoplite phalanx.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The thing is there wasn't a standardized Roman military until... hell, Caesar's time or maybe even Augustus. The manipular change appears to have happened widely all at once because of the Samnite wars, but as far as equipment that took a long time. Even the common belief in Marius' reforms isn't quite true, he did a lot to reform the army but he didn't create the standardized legion single handedly by any means.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Armies take a long time to phase out old equipment. I did my conscript service in a mix of Korea and Vietnam war style gear, and that was in 2001. What might have taken decades or even longer to change looks sudden viewed from 2000 years away.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Decius posted:

Armies take a long time to phase out old equipment. I did my conscript service in a mix of Korea and Vietnam war style gear, and that was in 2001. What might have taken decades or even longer to change looks sudden viewed from 2000 years away.

Well, back then it was not state supplied. However, just like in a hoplite phalanx, if you show up with the wrong type of stuff you are not going to war with the group. They would have still had inspections and stuff for that very reason, since you can't have some yahoo showing up with dad's ancient spear that has a crack in the shaft cause he is going to get someone killed by being bad at fighting.

The issue we are discussing is when the legions actually made the switch from spear armed infantry to sword armed infantry, which is a real big deal as its a giant tactical change. I think the generally accepted explanation is when they abandoned the hoplite phalanx during the Samnite wars.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
We know they had to provide their own gear (which would make any switch to a completely different system and equipment even slower), but as far as i know we can't say for sure how exactly this worked - could the soldiers borrow something if they lacked a piece of equipment, or if it broke on campaign? Were there certain approved manufacturers that made sure the right stuff was brought by the soldiers? Did the state give out equipment the citizens bought for a fee? Did they show up with any old stuff they could find? Did Rome provide loans to soldiers short on some equipment? Or did they rely on their patron to get equipped?

Even "during the Samnite wars" is nearly a 50 year period.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
That reminds me of a question I've always had about the three infantry classes: on the one hand, it's supposed to be an experience thing, with the front line being the young men and the rear line being the oldest veterans.

But they're also described as differently equipped, (beyond triarii keeping their spears) and I've heard quotes about how the front line is required to own less armour than the second and third, for example. But this poo poo is often passed down, right? And it's determined by veterancy, not wealth. Why would a first-line hastati not take his veteran dad's full kit?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Seems like he got a pretty good education.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
Ironically, the actual Goths would be more jock than goth.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Tomn posted:

Ironically, the actual Goths would be more jock than goth.
the early modern Spanish are the most jock and the most goth

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I dunno, the Romans got pretty goth towards the end there.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Decius posted:

We know they had to provide their own gear (which would make any switch to a completely different system and equipment even slower), but as far as i know we can't say for sure how exactly this worked - could the soldiers borrow something if they lacked a piece of equipment, or if it broke on campaign? Were there certain approved manufacturers that made sure the right stuff was brought by the soldiers? Did the state give out equipment the citizens bought for a fee? Did they show up with any old stuff they could find? Did Rome provide loans to soldiers short on some equipment? Or did they rely on their patron to get equipped?

Even "during the Samnite wars" is nearly a 50 year period.

the changeover was specifically during the second samnite war. rome won the first one because the combat took place on the plains near capua so the phalanx worked out just fine. they got their poo poo stomped in when they tried to enter samnia itself during the second war, called a truce with the samnites and reformed the legions into maniples, and then rolled into samnia and fought them to a standstill.

but i'd wager a lot of money that the first maniples still used spears for the most part, yeah.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

lol I thought one axis was "nero" but it still made sense.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

lol I thought one axis was "nero" but it still made sense.
M'domina.
\

cxp
Mar 27, 2010
Fun Shoe

Jazerus posted:

Do we know why this caused them to switch? I didn't think there'd be a disadvantage if you had primarily spear armed infantry fighting sword armed infantry, but the Romans must have experienced something if this caused them to adopt swords.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

I feel like Macedonia should be more prep and less goth

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

cxp posted:

Do we know why this caused them to switch? I didn't think there'd be a disadvantage if you had primarily spear armed infantry fighting sword armed infantry, but the Romans must have experienced something if this caused them to adopt swords.

spears are better en masse and maniples are all about less mass and more mobility (relatively, they're still blocks of dudes)

but as i've been corrected on already, swords were already a primary roman weapon by then and the only thing really adopted from the celtiberians was their superior sword design. the carthaginians beating them to pieces with celtiberian swordsmen probably made an impression, but that's just speculation

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

SlothfulCobra posted:

I dunno, the Romans got pretty goth towards the end there.

You misspelled"Turk". :colbert:

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Zopotantor posted:

You misspelled"Turk". :colbert:

"roman" is an archaic spelling of "turk"

Chamuska
Apr 8, 2018

AgreegrA

Where do the Gauls fall under this?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Chamuska posted:

They were just recently immigrated (emigrated?) Romans.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

(1,3)

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Athenians were still super-crazy into fitness, they would be the Nerd who takes up weightlifting and makes it a scientific endeavour.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Chamuska posted:

Before Caesar? Probably more jock than Kush but slightly less than Macedonia, and closer to the center of the prep/goth axis. After? Lol idk just call them romans at that point.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Did Pompey have any children with Julia? I assume not because they would have been very dynastically important and I haven't heard of any

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

cheetah7071 posted:

Did Pompey have any children with Julia? I assume not because they would have been very dynastically important and I haven't heard of any

They tried. She miscarried, got pregnant again the same year and then died bearing that kid, which also died. It would indeed have been politically important which is probably why Pompey was willing to push her health for it, or at least oblivious to the risk.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

skasion posted:

They tried. She miscarried, got pregnant again the same year and then died bearing that kid, which also died. It would indeed have been politically important which is probably why Pompey was willing to push her health for it, or at least oblivious to the risk.

That's the first scene from the HBO Rome, IIRC.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The conventional narrative is that Julia's death is what finally made political realities exceed personal friendship for Caesar and Pompey, so I wonder if their friendship would have continued if Pompey was raising Caesar's grandchild

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

sullat posted:

That's the first scene from the HBO Rome, IIRC.

First scene is Pullo breaking rank to go bash in some Gauls, isn't it?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

cheetah7071 posted:

The conventional narrative is that Julia's death is what finally made political realities exceed personal friendship for Caesar and Pompey, so I wonder if their friendship would have continued if Pompey was raising Caesar's grandchild

As long as there was a familial link between Pompey and Caesar they were personal and political allies who at the very least would have a much lower chance of seriously antagonizing each other. Caesar knew that the loss of such a familial link was serious business, because he attempted to push Octavia to divorce her husband (Marcellus, not Antony yet) in order to marry Pompey to re-seal the alliance. A grandchild of Caesar’s would have been good if there had been one, but any child of Pompey would be a Pompey (or a Pompeia), so not as good as a living member of Caesar’s family in Pompey’s house. In the event Octavia and Marcellus didn’t feel like divorcing, Caesar was in Britain and couldn’t really force the issue, Pompey turned the offer down (he may have been unimpressed by Caesar’s not-especially-well-born great-niece as a replacement for his daughter), and Pompey wound up marrying Metellus Scipio’s daughter, which was definitely an unsettling move to Caesar, if not hostile.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

skasion posted:

Well, try, push her health, risk etc. is a whole different issue when there is no contraception and a 30 % chance of a woman to die at birth and 50 % chance of a kid not surviving until adulthood. Unless you were abstaining there wasn't really much to control getting pregnant or not.
Additionally Romans had the rather peculiar idea that a woman is most fertile right after menstruation and least fertile right before.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Allegedly, Romans did have effective contraception. They ate the plant they used for it into extinction, but the seedpod's shape is still associated with love and lust to this day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Decius posted:

Well, try, push her health, risk etc. is a whole different issue when there is no contraception and a 30 % chance of a woman to die at birth and 50 % chance of a kid not surviving until adulthood. Unless you were abstaining there wasn't really much to control getting pregnant or not.
Additionally Romans had the rather peculiar idea that a woman is most fertile right after menstruation and least fertile right before.

Those numbers can't possibly be right. I did some math and with those assumptions, the average woman has ~1.67 children that make it to adulthood over the course of her entire life. We know from the relatively static population of the ancient world that the true number of adult children per woman is ~2.

(I ignored twins/triplets but also made the untrue assumption that every woman would continue getting pregnant until she died from a pregnancy so it probably balances out give or take)