Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
How about all Primaris Howling Griffons in 30k?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

panascope posted:

Yeah I love the British tourists in Inferno.

What's with the "Tourists in Inferno" thing? I've seen it elsewhere but I have no idea what it refers to.

:confused:

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Schadenboner posted:

What's with the "Tourists in Inferno" thing? I've seen it elsewhere but I have no idea what it refers to.

Forge World used someone’s holiday pictures for the pyramids of Tzica in the background art and failed to completely photoshop everyone out, there is a guy standing around in shorts. Also they reference weapons that don’t exist and accidentally printed beta rules for one unit.

The book has a lot of issues..

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Schadenboner posted:

Forgeworld wanted to include the most alien thing imaginable so they included some people who actually want to visit England in some of the pictures in Inferno.

E: Huh, I guess I remembered that wrong

Pendent fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Apr 12, 2018

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Schadenboner posted:

Pages 44 & 45 have tourists lol

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
:downsbravo:

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Was it at least photos from someone in the company's vacation, or did they really go the distance for their bespoke artisanal miniatures and google Pyramids

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Inferno is a trash fire of a book.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

BULBASAUR posted:

Two Beans my dude, cum play 30k. Enjoy having the most broken legion army. Make people shake with rage whenever you whisper 'space wolves are bad'

At least fluffwise Space Wolves are pretty clearly the closest legion on the loyalist side to being Bad Guys in 30k

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Neurolimal posted:

At least fluffwise Space Wolves are pretty clearly the closest legion on the loyalist side to being Bad Guys in 30k

I think you'll find that all of the loyalists are the bad guys :colbert:

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
So, uh, holy poo poo, T'au Sept is better than I was giving it credit for. Preparing to get charged, and doing so in such a way that you can loving murder the first thing that tries is really satisfying, and worked much better than getting 18" rapid fire range.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

TTerrible posted:

People always focus on the cost of the books when the armies start at 2500pts and one of the units isn't useable until games of 13k pts :shobon:

..and 90% of it is resin from Forge World. :shobon:

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Strobe posted:

So, uh, holy poo poo, T'au Sept is better than I was giving it credit for. Preparing to get charged, and doing so in such a way that you can loving murder the first thing that tries is really satisfying, and worked much better than getting 18" rapid fire range.

To be fair even before the codex Tau in 8th edition were all about demanding a virgin sacrifice before charges, they just happen to have other stuff going on as well now

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Neurolimal posted:

To be fair even before the codex Tau in 8th edition were all about demanding a virgin sacrifice before charges, they just happen to have other stuff going on as well now

I managed to get three Pathfinder squads into mutually supporting overwatch range while still being in Rapid Fire. Turns out, 18 Rail Rifle shots hitting on 5s was enough to wipe out a 6-model AdMech Breacher team to a bot in one go. The two extra wounds from Pulse Carbines were just gravy.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

PierreTheMime posted:

Hmm, an interesting thought. Syncs up well with Kraken, I suppose I could use them as additional protection for my Malanthrope core.

What am I missing about Malanthropes? They didn't seem too special on my first glance through the codex, so I assume there's something I missed.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

:ssh:

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

bird food bathtub posted:

What am I missing about Malanthropes? They didn't seem too special on my first glance through the codex, so I assume there's something I missed.

They’re nigh-unkillable unit buff machines that act as a Synapse source for your back line. Every unit within 3” becomes -1 to hit which really explodes your defense when your three units of 20-30 Termagants, Exocrines, and other less mobile units all gather ‘round. They’re not the best value for their price and are worth fuckall in combat but they make your army last a ton longer.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

It's not in the codex, but the Forgeworld index.

The one in the codex is the Maleceptor, who's claim to fame is killing 3 Custodes Shield Captains on Dawneagle Jetbikes on the top of turn one of game 1 of the Adepticon championship. The Custodes player sadquit the tournament and played Shadespire for the rest of the convention.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

MasterSlowPoke posted:

The one in the codex is the Maleceptor, who's claim to fame is killing 3 Custodes Shield Captains on Dawneagle Jetbikes on the top of turn one of game 1 of the Adepticon championship. The Custodes player sadquit the tournament and played Shadespire for the rest of the convention.

That's hilarious - but how did it pull that off?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Ah that's what I was thinking of, the Maleceptor. Trying to avoid ForgeWorld stuff. I don't even have a complete army from the codex itself yet. Read over the Maleceptor in the codex and yeah he looks like a pretty decent psyker but I wasn't super thrilled with him.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

MasterSlowPoke posted:

How on earth did they pull that off?

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

Ah that's what I was thinking of, the Maleceptor. Trying to avoid ForgeWorld stuff. I don't even have a complete army from the codex itself yet. Read over the Maleceptor in the codex and yeah he looks like a pretty decent psyker but I wasn't super thrilled with him.

Naramyths ex roommate swears by the drat things. I've never had much luck with them.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Boon posted:

That's hilarious - but how did it pull that off?

Nid player double moved the Maleceptor into psychic range of all three Captains. He did his psychic bomb thing, dealing a single wound to each Captain, leaving them on 6 wounds each. The three Captains heroically intervened into the Maleceptor and flubbed all their rolls, barely hurting the Maleceptor. It countered with its 4 attacks, 2 into the warlord and 1 into each other Captain. All hit, all wounded, all failed saves, then rolled a six for damage against each Captain. .

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Pendent posted:

My experience is that the Bolt Rifle hits a sweet spot.

That was my first impression.

Artum posted:

Just stick with rapid fire, if you want assault then go for carbine reivers since they're the same with extra abilities for cheaper and if you want a unit to camp objectives you'd be better served with a load of scouts.

Fighting orks and nids pretty much seals the deal on rapid fire since they can just rapid fire away squads of smaller stuff because of their ap.

Nice, I really like the Reivers. I just gotta improve my face painting...

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Nid player double moved the Maleceptor into psychic range of all three Captains. He did his psychic bomb thing, dealing a single wound to each Captain, leaving them on 6 wounds each. The three Captains heroically intervened into the Maleceptor and flubbed all their rolls, barely hurting the Maleceptor. It countered with its 4 attacks, 2 into the warlord and 1 into each other Captain. All hit, all wounded, all failed saves, then rolled a six for damage against each Captain. .

All of this is the best thing.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

TheBigAristotle posted:

That was my first impression.

Nice, I really like the Reivers. I just gotta improve my face painting...

I absolutely adore carbine Reivers in addition to my rapid fire Intercessors, for what it's worth. Deep striking Primaris are really good, as it turns out.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
*Beep Boop here I am to murder you*

One day build, prime & paint for my Adeptus Mechanicus Eversor Assassin.

Close up of the poison. Really happy with how it turned out.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

MasterSlowPoke posted:

:stare:

Holy poo poo. That's unlikely as all hell and it rules.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Had a really fun game against a fluffy Imperial Fists list, gorgeously painted. Didn't have my camera with me and my phone is poo poo so didn't get any shots. I got stomped.

Was rolling my crimson fists list I'm still working on, had pedro, lt, primaris lt, 2x5 intercessors, sniper scouts, 2x5 hellblasters, 5 vanguard, 5 sternguard, 5 intercessors, LC devastators, LC razorback, vindicator, contemptor

He had 2 batt detachments. Lysander, Techmarine, Lt, Captain, 2 devastator squads (2x LC 2x HB), 4 tac marine squads (5 man with heavy bolter), 2 scout squads, 4 predators (autocannons and HBs), 5 cataphractii

He got first turn, and there wasn't enough LOS blocking terrain so he used killshot and deleted my contemptor and vindicator at the start, and also shot up a lot of my primaris dudes with the autocannons. Killshot + storm of fire is so good, between the 3 killshot predators there was 18 heavy bolter shots wounding tanks on 4s for 2 damage a pop and 6s to wound were AP-2. The captain took the chapter master stratagem so lots of rerolls for the preds too. I dropped the inceptors and vanguard downfield and killed most of the devastators with assault bolter fire, vanguard failed their charge. He charged the scouts in to try to tie my dudes up but didn't realize pedro gave everyone +1A so 5 man primaris squads were getting 16 attacks rerolling misses.

I killed one predator and dropped the second to 2 wounds with my return fire, but the predators hammered me every turn and I just didn't bring enough AT to deal with them. Massed autocannon and HB fire wiped out my inceptors pretty quick. Also I hadn't played with my primaris in 5 months and forgot the hellblasters had a 30 inch range, whoops. Would've probably killed the second predator if I had overcharged into it but thought it was out of range. He blew up the razorback turn 2, the sternguard and Lt inside piled out of it and they hosed up a pretty good amount of tac marines between them, Lt had fist of vengeance and sternguard sgt had a power fist and they went to town. His cataphractii and lysander dropped in the middle, cataphractii passed a charge on the vanguard and killed them but then Pedro and my primaris LT charged in and killed the squad, then went after Lysander next turn but he passed most of his stormshield saves and over the next round and a half killed pedro and the lt with 1 wound left. He ended up tabling me turn 4, it was a fun game but my crimson fists list can't handle a gunline it looks like.

My crimson fists is an okay generalist list. My idea being that (once I finish the list by adding another dread and aggressors, dropping the vindicator and sternguard) I can either push up with primaris dudes and pedro to punch things, or hang back with pedro rerolling my guns if I need to. It's fun for a casual game but will get rolled by armies that specialize in one or the other.

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Apr 12, 2018

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
So I played a game against an AdMech opponent yesterday night, and even though we only got to the bottom of Turn 2 it was pretty securely in my favor. That said, it did point out some serious weaknesses in my list. Namely, insufficient Markerlights, at 'only' 21 for a 2k list, and situated entirely on Pathfinders. Squishy. Both of my Broadsides died top of turn 1, so they didn't get to do a drat thing, and I think I can more efficiently use the points for at least one of them on a bunch of Markerlights. Pathfinders are far and away the highest priority targets for my opponents to shoot, so Markerlight Drones are next on the plate. Updated list:

T'au Sept Battalion (+3 CP)
HQ:
Cadre Fireblade
Ethereal w/Hover Drone

Troops:
10x Fire Warriors
10x Fire Warriors
10x Fire Warriors

Fast Attack:
10x Pathfinders w/3 Rail Rifles

T'au Sept Battalion (+3 CP)
HQ:
Cadre Fireblade
XV8 Commander w/Drone Controller and Stimulant Injector (Buffmander II: Son of Buffmander)

Troops:
10x Fire Warriors
10x Fire Warriors
10x Fire Warriors

Fast Attack:
4x Markerlight Drones
4x Markerlight Drones
4x Markerlight Drones

T'au Sept Vanguard (+1 CP)
HQ:
Coldstar Commander w/4 Fusion Blasters

Elites:
3x Stealth Suits w/1 Fusion Blaster
Riptide w/Heavy Burst Cannon, Smart Missile Systems, ATS, and Velocity Tracker
Ghostkeel w/Ion Raker, Burst Cannons, ATS, and Shield Generator

Heavy Support:
Broadside w/Heavy Rail Rifle and Smart Missile Systems
- 2x Shield Drones

With twenty-one drops I'm expecting to have to expect to take the second turn more often than not. I can potentially reduce the number of drops by condensing the ML Drones into one group of 12, but that'd leave them more vulnerable to massed fire. On the other hand, it'd also make it easier to keep them in drone controller range of the XV8, and they give me an emergency objective taking deep strike opportunity if my opponent misplays turn 1. That's probably not something to assume, but it might be something I can look for.

What does the thread think? I'm leaning toward multiple units.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

MasterSlowPoke posted:

But a Maleceptor only has 3 attacks?

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I'm confused. I don't think you can target characters that intervene because you won't have declared them as a charge target? Unless he did just in case I guess? I never thought of that situation before.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

General Olloth posted:

I'm confused. I don't think you can target characters that intervene because you won't have declared them as a charge target? Unless he did just in case I guess? I never thought of that situation before.

You can HI into anything within 3" of a character as long as a charge happens anywhere else on the board. So presumably the Nid player did charges elsewhere but not with the Maleceptor and the Custodes guy HIed into it, thinking he'd get an easy kill. Since the Maleceptor didn't charge it can attack anything within 1" as normal - the restriction is only on units which charged in the previous Charge phase.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Zuul the Cat posted:

*Beep Boop here I am to murder you*

One day build, prime & paint for my Adeptus Mechanicus Eversor Assassin.

Close up of the poison. Really happy with how it turned out.

That rules

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

Has anyone played around with the Forgeworld Imperial Knights? The Acheron seems good, but the rest all seem pretty meh (not that regular knights aren't :()

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Do you guys have anywhere stateside that you prefer to get reasonably priced terrain from?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
What kind ? Pegasus makes some cheap high quality stuff

Neurolimal posted:

Dark Angles

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
You sure last I heard Space Wolves were considered to be pretty friendly.

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
They're so loyal that Malcador sent squads of them to watch over all the other legions. The only argument you could make against them really is the fact that they razed Prospero under the false assumption that it was an order from the Emperor that even fooled Valdor, the closest guy to him other than Malcador. So, no, they aren't pretty clearly the closest to Bad Guys of the loyalists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Hustlin Floh posted:

They're so loyal that Malcador sent squads of them to watch over all the other legions. The only argument you could make against them really is the fact that they razed Prospero under the false assumption that it was an order from the Emperor that even fooled Valdor, the closest guy to him other than Malcador. So, no, they aren't pretty clearly the closest to Bad Guys of the loyalists.

Plus all but one of those Marines are long dead by this point.