Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

hooman posted:

Since I can't edit I'll double post:

How much of that is attributable to Islam and how much of that is regional and development based. Would you argue that Judaism is a destructive religion based on the actions of the one Jewish state?

Amnesty has 12/20 of the worst regimes for human rights abuses as various sects of Islam. 4 are Christian (Catholic and other, but mainly Catholic I think), 2 are commies, 1 is multi-denominational and 1 is Yugoslavia (I have no loving idea who the powerful people are in Yugoslavia these days).

e This is off the top of my head but I'm correct. If anyone knows where Yugoslavia sits that'd be nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

BBJoey posted:

personally the way i conceive of religion is that it’s a fool’s game to try and categorise a religion itself as better or worse than another. all religions can be interpreted to suit anyones’ ends. what actually matters is who is doing the interpreting and how strongly that affects people.

This was more or less the point that I clumsily failed to make.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/junkee/status/984266916041666560

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Snowman_McK posted:

I've fixed because holy I can tell you're going to be insufferable about it.

insufferable, moi?!

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

As they say in the classics, classic.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Snowman_McK posted:

This was more or less the point that I clumsily failed to make.

this is why it was a spicy take you loving moron

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

i'm glad all it took was several pages of back and forth to establish that jbp was right

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
DFAT refuses to intervene after Yassmin Abdel-Magied is denied entry to the US, despite the urgings of Richard Di Natale.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

BBJoey posted:

i don’t think it’s much deniable that on average politically powerful islam has a worse effect on for example gay rights or women’s rights than christianity.

I don't want to be a dick but citation needed. I don't know that this is true and I'm not willing to take it as read that it is.

BBJoey posted:

and i would also say that yes, as a tool used to justify the settlement and slow cleansing of palestine, judaism is destructive politically.

But I don't attribute Israels actions to them being Jewish, they may use it as a justification but it's not a cause. So why is this different to the oppression of women and Islam?

Fake Edit because this post came while I was writing this:

BBJoey posted:

personally the way i conceive of religion is that it’s a fool’s game to try and categorise a religion itself as better or worse than another. all religions can be interpreted to suit anyones’ ends. what actually matters is who is doing the interpreting and how strongly that affects people.

I think we may be talking past each other because this is mostly what I think as well. Which is why it frustrates me when people talk about "religions" as some kind of driving force behind actions, when mostly they're used as a smokescreen justification.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
If you keep mentioning Israel you are going to summon *her*

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Israel
Israel
Israel

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Oh hey like 60 posts since breakfast, I wonder what's happened in Auspo-

:itwaspoo:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Don Dongington posted:

Oh hey like 60 posts since breakfast, I wonder what's happened in Auspo-

:itwaspoo:

Yassmin Abdel-Magied tried to gain access to the United States under false pretenses and was turned away.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

BBJoey posted:

Nah it's real important that everybody know Islam is extra bad and that stupid bloody woman doesn't know how good she has it blah blah blaaaargh

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

JBP posted:

Yassmin Abdel-Magied tried to gain access to the United States under false pretenses and was turned away.

Did you develop aspergers overnight and totally lose the ability to process nuance and sarcasm

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

JBP posted:

Speaking of poo poo takes, this is disingenuous tripe

Maybe she simply made a mistake with her visa? Perhaps she has experiences of being treated with suspicion at international airports, combined with the current political atmosphere in the US, which caused her to jump to a conclusion about why she was being held up.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
She travelled on a tourist visa for a paid speaking engagement.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The Before Times posted:

Maybe she simply made a mistake with her visa? Perhaps she has experiences of being treated with suspicion at international airports, combined with the current political atmosphere in the US, which caused her to jump to a conclusion about why she was being held up.

Now this is some loving disingenuous tripe. Any speaking engagement like this provides a guide for entry and international guest directions. It is also her job to deliver hot takes and should have, in her own interest, secured the correct visa to enter the US. I nearly got knocked back once because I had seven of the same tshirt in my bag as gifts and they though I was promoting Australian sports.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

JBP posted:

Now this is some loving disingenuous tripe. Any speaking engagement like this provides a guide for entry and international guest directions. It is also her job to deliver hot takes and should have, in her own interest, secured the correct visa to enter the US. I nearly got knocked back once because I had seven of the same tshirt in my bag as gifts and they though I was promoting Australian sports.

so you're saying it's incredibly easy to be knocked back for dumb reasons

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Don Dongington posted:

Did you develop aspergers overnight and totally lose the ability to process nuance and sarcasm

aspergers is symptomatic of posting in the auspol thread

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

The Before Times posted:

This poo poo happens all the time and the only reason we are talking about it is because she has 50k twitter followers.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Even if she was doing it for free, it is her job to write editorials and appear in front of people. You need a working visa to promote your business in the US even if it doesn't make you any money while you are there.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I think the thing everyone is missing here is 'who loving cares its just that idiot who said dumb things on ANZAC day'

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The Before Times posted:

so you're saying it's incredibly easy to be knocked back for dumb reasons

How is being knocked back for having the flat out wrong visa dumb on the part of the US government official that enforces their laws?

Also I was let in after the confusion. It is demonstrating that they are all over people coming in on tourist visas to do work.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

that is literally the US visa type you should travel on for conferences and stuff

http://www.ustraveldocs.com/au/au-niv-typeb1b2.asp

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

If you keep mentioning Israel you are going to summon *her*

Avs posting is preferable to this

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The Before Times posted:

that is literally the US visa type you should travel on for conferences and stuff

She is employed and paid by Americans for the visit, not by her home employer. She is not entitled to that visa.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

interesting how that was an easy mistake to make

(jk, it's difficult to figure out which type of working visa she actually would/should have gotten tho)

Night Shade
Jan 13, 2013

Old School

The Before Times posted:

I read that as for sitting in the audience at conferences, not being paid to present at them. Maybe a type O or P visa would be more appropriate for that :shrug:

e: or for speaking at a conference, unpaid

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The Before Times posted:

This is ridiculous. If you are traveling internationally to get paid you require a temporary working visa. The B1 and B2 are different visas as well. If her visa was as a B-2 tourist she is wrong and if the visa was to conduct business she is wrong as that extends only to:

Business (B-1)
Consult with business associates
Attend a scientific, educational, professional, or business convention or conference
Settle an estate
Negotiate a contract

The Before Times posted:

(jk, it's difficult to figure out which type of working visa she actually would/should have gotten tho)

oh ok fine

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

The Before Times posted:

Idk, I googled the phrase "which us visa do I need " and they literally had a wizard that I could use to find the right one so who knows

And if it's confusing there's plenty of links and details for local consulates out there that could help with the information. :shrug:

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

JBP are you Chris Kenny or Paul Murray, that would explain your hot takes and Yasmin-hate while also saving us all a lot of time

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

iajanus posted:

Idk, I googled the phrase "which us visa do I need " and they literally had a wizard that I could use to find the right one so who knows

And if it's confusing there's plenty of links and details for local consulates out there that could help with the information. :shrug:

of course, but for her specific situation, it seems like there is in fact a grey area. some people are let in under the VWP, some aren't. , some under a b1-b2 visa (incorrectly if they are being paid), some aren't. and the O and P type visas seem pretty discretionary?

it's actually not cut and dry

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

MysticalMachineGun posted:

JBP are you Chris Kenny or Paul Murray, that would explain your hot takes and Yasmin-hate while also saving us all a lot of time

I likened her to other hot take professionals and was proven right by a deluge of sad tweets then confirmation she was being false.

I enjoy her writing and television appearances in the same way I do any other political edutainer.

The Before Times posted:

of course, but for her specific situation, it seems like there is in fact a grey area. some people are let in under the VWP, some aren't. , some under a b1-b2 visa (incorrectly if they are being paid), some aren't. and the O and P type visas seem pretty discretionary?

it's actually not cut and dry

Do they have phones and email in the UK? I normally call or email someone if I can't figure something like this out rather than just slamming in whatever seems roughly correct.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

JBP posted:

I likened her to other hot take professionals and was proven right by a deluge of sad tweets then confirmation she was being false.

I enjoy her writing and television appearances in the same way I do any other political edutainer.

Do they have phones and email in the UK? I normally call or email someone if I can't figure something like this out rather than just slamming in whatever seems roughly correct.

the problem is, the person at the other end of that communication device may in fact give you the wrong, or even conflicting, information.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The Before Times posted:

the problem is, the person at the other end of that communication device may in fact give you the wrong, or even conflicting, information.

Yeah there are many excuses for just plain old loving up and not owning it.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

It's almost as if you've never had to deal with an infuriating, potentially hostile bureaucracy before

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yassmin is the new Mia Freedman

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The Before Times posted:

It's almost as if you've never had to deal with an infuriating, potentially hostile bureaucracy before

Or maybe I do that all day every day and know better than to just wing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

EoinCannon posted:

Yassmin is the new Mia Freedman

Nah Yassmin's heart is seemingly in the right place while Mia is a cappo propagandist.

• Locked thread