Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/yassmin_a/status/953424006367141888

You've been supporting a bitcoin enthusiast all this time.

I would blow Dane Cook fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Apr 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

https://twitter.com/yassmin_a/status/953424006367141888

You've been supporting a bitcoin enthusiast all this time.

I had no problem with her before but Jesus Christ I do now

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Oh poo poo she's a Bitcoin libertarian, permission to treat the cappo as hostile.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

JBP posted:

Nah Yassmin's heart is seemingly in the right place while Mia is a cappo propagandist.

Oh for sure, I meant in her effect on this thread rather than her politics

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

EoinCannon posted:

Oh for sure, I meant in her effect on this thread rather than her politics

You are correct on both now though.

bigis
Jun 21, 2006
The US should be able to decide who comes to their country and the circumstances in which they come.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

hooman posted:

How the gently caress does a study even cost 50 million dollars in the first place. Holy poo poo that's an insane amount of money. If you take a team of 20 and pay all of them 100k a year it's still going to take 25 loving years to go through 50 million goddamn dollars.

I need to eat lobster every night bud.

Also the budget goes beyond just wages but yeah I get your point

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Despite a range of perspectives and opinions on a great many subjects, there's two things that never fail to bring Auspol together:

Bitcoin and Mia Freedman being poo poo-tastic in both concept and delivery.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
Bitcoin has been weirdly stable these last two weeks. I'm going to take that as a harbinger of the financial end times and hide in my shack on Mt.Gambier until you've all eaten each other.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Jailed former NSW Labor minister Eddie Obeid and three of his sons have lost a costly lawsuit against two Independent Commission Against Corruption investigators, in the latest legal defeat for the controversial clan.

Obeid and three of his five sons – Moses, Paul and Eddie junior – have been pursuing ICAC in court since 2016, claiming they suffered reputational and financial harm as a result of a 2012 corruption inquiry into a $30 million coal deal.

The inquiry led to criminal charges against Obeid snr and middle son Moses.

In a scathing judgment delivered in September 2016, Supreme Court justice David Hammerschlag threw out the case and said some of the family's claims bordered on "eccentric".

He ruled in March last year that the Obeids should pay all of the legal costs of the "unreasonable and irresponsible" lawsuit against a raft of ICAC figures, including former commissioner David Ipp, QC, and counsel assisting the inquiry, Sydney barrister Geoffrey Watson, SC.

The clan appealed against the decision in the NSW Court of Appeal, but limited the scope of their case to focus solely on the conduct of two ICAC investigators, Grant Lockley and Paul Grainger, who were involved in a raid of the Obeid family offices at Birkenhead Point in 2011.

The family accused the investigators of misfeasance in public office for filming two incriminating documents that were outside the scope of their search warrant.

On Thursday the Court of Appeal dismissed the appeal. Chief Justice Tom Bathurst – with whom President Margaret Beazley and Justice Mark Leeming agreed – said the family had failed to show the men were aware their actions "would likely cause harm to the appellants or that they were recklessly indifferent to such a risk of harm".

"It was not suggested by the appellants that there was anything damaging in the documents themselves which could cause harm," Chief Justice Bathurst said.

"There is no evidence to suggest either that the respondents had knowledge that the documents were likely to be used in ... a public inquiry and would thereby cause harm, or that they were recklessly indifferent to that risk."

The Obeids were ordered to pay legal costs.

Obeid snr was jailed in December 2016 for a maximum of five years after a Supreme Court jury found him guilty of misconduct for lobbying a senior bureaucrat over his family's secret business interests at Circular Quay.

In March, the High Court refused Obeid special leave to appeal against his conviction and sentence, slamming the door on his final avenue of appeal. He will be eligible for parole on December 15, 2019.

lol

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
A men's squash pairing from Sierra Leone have become the latest African athletes to miss their event at the Gold Coast Commonwealth Games.

Hours after Home Affairs Minister Peter Dutton warned athletes who breached their visa conditions they'd be tracked down, locked up and deported, Sierra Leone's Ernest Jombla and Yusif Mansaray did not appear for their men's doubles match on Thursday morning.

Games officials have confirmed a Rwandan athlete, two Ugandans and potentially one Ghanaian are also missing in action.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

It's cool to keep referring to these people as "Africans" in these stories, just like Australians would be cool with being called Asians.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

It's cool to keep referring to these people as "Africans" in these stories, just like Australians would be cool with being called Asians.

I think describing a group of people from multiple countries in Africa as African is perfectly normal, just as a group of Australians and New Zealanders would be called Australasians, but you do you dude

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

bell jar posted:

I think describing a group of people from multiple countries in Africa as African is perfectly normal, just as a group of Australians and New Zealanders would be called Australasians, but you do you dude

lol "Australasians"

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
It's "Oceanians" anyway

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

If John Howard heard people using these terms he would roll over in his grave.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

lol "Australasians"

He's not wrong

Albeit outside of a classroom I've never heard the word used

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

EoinCannon posted:

It's "Oceanians" anyway

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

How would you describe two french people, a montenegrin, two germans and one finn? I'm guessing European

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.
https://twitter.com/BellaKwai/status/984258308344131585

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.
wait she supports bitcoin I retract all of my previous support

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Ditto

AgentF
May 11, 2009
You know, after the arrival of the magic 30th Newspoll, I figured the chat in this thread would be different from how it has turned out to be. I kinda figured we'd be talking about some current leadership challenge or something.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

AgentF posted:

You know, after the arrival of the magic 30th Newspoll, I figured the chat in this thread would be different from how it has turned out to be. I kinda figured we'd be talking about some current leadership challenge or something.

Nah, everyone's either really unpopular, smart enough to see that whoever takes over pre election is doomed anyway, or a woman.

Or some combination of the three. Turnbull gets to keep command of the sinking ship a little longer.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I could see them rolling out Bishop to take the fall but I don't think she's dumb enough to do it.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005

bell jar posted:

How would you describe two french people, a montenegrin, two germans and one finn? I'm guessing European

Eurovision ground zero

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

bell jar posted:

The Axis

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009

I wonder if Yassmin herself realises this just means she was lucky the other times she entered

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Donald Trump himself personally intervened to ensure she would not be able to enter the country.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Donald Trump himself personally intervened to ensure she would not be able to enter the country.

The reverse-Dutton.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
How is this thread not talking about the contractor for President Malcolms Snowy Hydro 2.0 scheme being raided by the AFP for corruption?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-04-12/engineering-firm-working-on-snowy-hydro-investigated-overseas/9647482

https://www.theage.com.au/politics/federal/turnbull-s-energy-project-lead-contractor-under-corruption-cloud-20180411-p4z8zt.html

quote:

The chairman and several top executives of the lead contractor on the Government's Snowy 2.0 project are under federal police investigation for covering up alleged financial crime.

In February, the federal police raided the Snowy Mountain Engineering Corporation (SMEC) over suspicions that SMEC Holdings chairman Max Findlay, recently departed chief executive Andrew Goodwin and several still-serving top executives were involved in an ongoing criminal conspiracy to cover up international graft.

A subsidiary company, SMEC Australia, was hired by the government-owned Snowy Hydro company in May 2017 to perform the major $29 million feasibility contract on the initial phase of Malcolm Turnbull's signature Snowy 2.0 project.

The company won the work even though SMEC's overseas operations were facing an earlier and still ongoing federal police inquiry for paying bribes or engaging in other financial crimes overseas.

The latest federal police investigation targets several senior Australian company figures who are suspected of engaging in an alleged conspiracy to thwart the earlier federal police probe.

meteor9
Nov 23, 2007

"That's why I put up with it."
Wait isn't the bitcoin white paper just the initial proof of concept? Wherein it was more "this is a kinda neat thing that could be done if we work it out further" as opposed to the "if we work it ou- oh okay never mind, terabyte blockchain files ahoy" that's happening?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Lmao

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Business as usual

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
someone post the old coal power plant tha we're booting back up to support Bitcoin or whatever

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Milky Moor posted:

someone post the old coal power plant tha we're booting back up to support Bitcoin or whatever

I believe the current rate is Ireland per day?

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

meteor9 posted:

Wait isn't the bitcoin white paper just the initial proof of concept? Wherein it was more "this is a kinda neat thing that could be done if we work it out further" as opposed to the "if we work it ou- oh okay never mind, terabyte blockchain files ahoy" that's happening?

It's like a 10 page pamphlet mostly discussing implementation challenges. I wouldn't describe it as 'elegant' because it barely covers anything.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Tokamak posted:

It's like a 10 page pamphlet mostly discussing implementation challenges. I wouldn't describe it as 'elegant' because it barely covers anything.

And literally none of the problems have been fixed.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

bell jar posted:

As detention center room mates awaiting deportation in Dutton's Australia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

DancingShade posted:

As detention center room mates awaiting deportation in Dutton's Australia.
Nah it's alright, they're almost certainly white.

• Locked thread