Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

SirSamVimes posted:

That was the final boss of the trial.

Ouch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

SirSamVimes posted:

That was the final boss of the trial.

Well, knowing that I gave it another shot. Another 6 shots. Got the last ore I needed for my third upgrade.

I also just lost a cool 3500 geo thanks to the """"""bank"""""" just up and leaving. gently caress me. I just found out entirely missed out on the charm shop and have been 4 notches down this whole time. Could only afford two thanks to that.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Kalsco posted:

I also just lost a cool 3500 geo thanks to the """"""bank"""""" just up and leaving. gently caress me.

well

you might want to check out the hot springs

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

Johnny Joestar posted:

well

you might want to check out the hot springs

No go it seems. Place is empty, as usual. A while ago I did recall seeing like two bugs chilling out, not saying anything. Did that have to do anything with this, somehow? If not I'll just check back later. Thanks tho.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Kalsco posted:

No go it seems. Place is empty, as usual. A while ago I did recall seeing like two bugs chilling out, not saying anything. Did that have to do anything with this, somehow? If not I'll just check back later. Thanks tho.

i don't know what the trigger is specifically for when she shows up, but she should definitely end up there sooner or later. you'll get your geo back, plus extra. just gotta be...forward about it.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Kalsco posted:

Might be looking in wrong area? There's a more upper class joint in the city that someone who 'made' 3500 geo might hang out in

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Kalsco posted:

There's more than one hot spring in the game.

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

Knorth posted:

Might be looking in wrong area? There's a more upper class joint in the city that someone who 'made' 3500 geo might hang out in

Oh, I thought that might be the one. I can't actually access that yet. :sweatdrop:

Only found two keys so far (shop/CoT find), used them for unlocking the sewers and something else.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

The last key you need is in Ancient Basin.

There is infinite geo in the game though, losing some won't matter in the long run.

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

fractalairduct posted:

The last key you need is in Ancient Basin.

There is infinite geo in the game though, losing some won't matter in the long run.

Found it, thank you. No clue how I missed it first time through.

And haha, chock up the frustration in that text more to knowing I was missing out on 4 notches this whole time and desperately feeling like I needed to catch up.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Kalsco posted:

I also just lost a cool 3500 geo thanks to the """"""bank"""""" just up and leaving. gently caress me. I just found out entirely missed out on the charm shop and have been 4 notches down this whole time. Could only afford two thanks to that.

This is so mean but it cracks me up every time. I love that it's in there.

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene

Kalsco posted:

Well, knowing that I gave it another shot. Another 6 shots. Got the last ore I needed for my third upgrade.

Lmao I wish I hadn't spoilered myself on this part of the game so I could have this experience too

Hawgh
Feb 27, 2013

Size does matter, after all.
Holy poo poo the colosseum just never stops laying it on.

Gotta get dat ore though.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
It is perseverance that makes you a Conqueror! At least you'll be done after that :v:.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I was under the impression that the bank revealed it's true colors the moment you ran out of stuff to buy? Am i wrong on this? because when i ran out out stuff to buy, the reveal really threw me off.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
It's when you bank 3000 geo with her.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Lifeblood is here properly.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Hive knight has the worst corpserun in the game, probably.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
Most mid-late bosses shouldn’t have much of a run cause of the dream gate.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Just finished my second playthrough, or at least finished beating all the bosses. I still have trial of the fool and a few charms etc to pick up if I can be bothered.
I only got the first two nail upgrades this time around and barely used spells against bosses, but it was still much much easier than I remembered. I wonder how much of that was me being good at video games, and how much was just the fact that this time I actually bothered plugging in my ps3 controller instead of just using my keyboard. It was also a lot more fun this time around since the dream gate and the ancient basin stag station removed most of the pointless tedious travel time. Grimm and NKG were solid additions, and they easily make top 5 boss encounters for me.
White palace is still literally hitler, and I'm not even gonna bother with path of pain. The whole area is hostile to the very idea of fun.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Actually the White Palace and the Path of Pain are cool, good and fun

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Dancer posted:

It's when you bank 3000 geo with her.

Oh! I managed to get the 4000 back to pay for my ultimate nail just in time then.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Is there anything that you can do with the big statue in The Abyss once it gives you the upgraded dash? I Dream Nail'd it when I first encountered it and it alluded to the story charm you get at the end of the game, but now that I have that I Dream Nail'd it again and it just gave me some generic cryptic Dream Nail musing. I have to imagine that there's more to it.

Also I stumbled across Path of Pain for the first time and all I can say is "lol gently caress"

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

C-Euro posted:

Is there anything that you can do with the big statue in The Abyss once it gives you the upgraded dash? I Dream Nail'd it when I first encountered it and it alluded to the story charm you get at the end of the game, but now that I have that I Dream Nail'd it again and it just gave me some generic cryptic Dream Nail musing. I have to imagine that there's more to it.

Also I stumbled across Path of Pain for the first time and all I can say is "lol gently caress"

There isn't anything more you can do with it I'm pretty sure.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

I just wanna know if there's anything, like, ANYTHING at all you can do with that weird spider statue in the hive, directly below Herra's chamber. Thing does nothing, you can't even Dream Nail it, but it sure looks important!

Soho Joe
Aug 11, 2006

the torment of existence
weighed against
the horror of nonbeing
Nap Ghost

Torquemadras posted:

I just wanna know if there's anything, like, ANYTHING at all you can do with that weird spider statue in the hive, directly below Herra's chamber. Thing does nothing, you can't even Dream Nail it, but it sure looks important!

Nope! It's either a cool standalone set piece or a DLC teaser for your best bug sister Hornet

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

I picked the game up recently and played it to 106% completion, it's good.

It's been interesting comparing my experience with the thread. I constantly felt that spells were usually too much of a pain to execute and that Joni's (and Hiveblood) were a net negative in boss fights. The White Palace was hyped up a lot but 99% of it was no problem and pretty enjoyable. I'm definitely glad I had infinite life for the two spots that gave me trouble, but overall it was pretty tame. I managed to completely miss the entrance to the Path of Pain though, so maybe that will show me up.
As for difficult bosses, I found true final boss to be much easier than expected. It only took me 4 attempts (2 deaths on the first stage, 1 on the second) and I just beat her up with Mark of Pride. The prelude was much more of a pain in the rear end. It was easy enough to brute force and heal through, but every time I'd take like 12 masks of damage. Part of that was just trying to get through it as fast as possible but he felt far more aggressive than the final boss, who had much more obvious attack patterns. Once I understood all of them it was really easy to dodge most of it. I had far more trouble with the Watcher Knights and the Traitor Lord. Those, and the wall jumping only section of the Fools Trial were the hardest fights. The crystal miner boss was a complete joke and I don't know how people had trouble with him. I don't think he hit me a single time on the second encounter.

If I had to find a fault with the game it'd be the visual noise in some fights and especially when you get hit. Lost Kin having an orange background for his orange balloons to blend into was annoying, and it was even worse for The Radiance's homing projectiles, which were really hard to spot against the glowing background when spawning in. Taking damage is the worst though, especially when you're getting swarmed and the screen quickly becomes a mess. Combined with the knockback it's really easy to lose track of things and take a bunch of extra hits.
The biggest crime though is that you go through this giant spider lair to track down 'Herrah the Beast', encounter this giant collection of spider houses, get trapped in the Beasts den, and at no point do you ever fight a Giant Spider Boss. I was so disappointed.

The best boss was Nightmare King Grimm and I hope the future mode lets you replay bosses so I can do nothing but fight him all day. Once I got his patterns down he wasn't even particularly hard but the speed and presentation of his fight is fantastic, everything about it is good.

In conclusion, a good game.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Darox posted:

The crystal miner boss was a complete joke and I don't know how people had trouble with him. I don't think he hit me a single time on the second encounter.

He got nerfed in the most recent update.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

SirSamVimes posted:

Actually the White Palace and the Path of Pain are cool, good and fun

they're

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Paracelsus posted:

He got nerfed in the most recent update.

The only thing I could find said that the first fight version is slightly slower when using his hand beam, and looking at past videos suggests the second fight has always been this slow and predictable.

It's not like I'm a great player, I died to a bunch of bosses the first time, but Crystal Guardian is a baby.

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene

Darox posted:

The only thing I could find said that the first fight version is slightly slower when using his hand beam, and looking at past videos suggests the second fight has always been this slow and predictable.

It's not like I'm a great player, I died to a bunch of bosses the first time, but Crystal Guardian is a baby.
If you beat Radiance in 4 tries I think you're above average. Pre-nerf Crystal Guardian II was up there with Watcher Knights imo if you faced him early in the game

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Hey, can someone with full achievement list help me out? I've played this game for 100+ hours, beat steel soul, speedrun, glass soul 99%, done basically everything it has to offer. Then I stopped playing for a few months, and now I re-installed for "nostalgia" or something like it. I decided I'll take this chance to fill out my achievement list. I'm lacking True Hunter, and 4 secret achievements. I've taken screenshots of where the ones that I'm missing are located in the list. Can someone be so kind as to tell me exactly what they are?

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
I'm pretty sure the one between The Hollow Knight and Dream No More is for getting the Void Heart but when Hornet jumps into the fight with the Hollow Knight, you ignore her and keep hitting him, which will bring you to an alternate version of the bad ending.

And I'm going to take a guess that the last one in your list there is for dismissing the Troupe without fighting the Nightmare King? You can do that, can't you?
Or something like that?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

You're definitely missing the one that you get for letting the Nailsmith live and finding him afterwards and the one for killing the Hollow Knight instead of the Radiance when you have the Void Heart

edit: I'm guessing you have, but just asking to make sure. Have you killed Gray Prince Zote? Also have you done the Mr. Mushroom quest?

SirSamVimes fucked around with this message at 23:46 on May 1, 2018

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

In order they are sparing the nailsmith, the second ending against Hollow Knight, Mr Mushroom, and banishing the Grimm Troupe.

Capri Sun Tzu posted:

If you beat Radiance in 4 tries I think you're above average. Pre-nerf Crystal Guardian II was up there with Watcher Knights imo if you faced him early in the game
You just stand in front of him and attack. When he attacks, you jump straight up then resume attacking. You don't even need to double jump, but you can if you want complete overkill. Sometimes, to make things super complicated, you have to walk a little to the side, but probably not. Luckily he gives you like 2 seconds of warning before it even starts happening which in an action game is a small eternity. There are regular enemies who are more difficult to fight.

Radiance is a separate matter, she's mostly just a platforming challenge. If you can beat White Palace you should be able to beat Radiance. Sawblades > Moths.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Darox posted:

In order they are sparing the nailsmith, the second ending against Hollow Knight, Mr Mushroom, and banishing the Grimm Troupe.

But I've done those first 3 things already ugh why is this happening. Le sigh...

And, like, I'm not you, but I'm a person who can clear WP (non-PoP) in 10 minutes, and I'm still only at about 50% win chance against laser dude with less than max level gear (which is funnily about the same winrate as Radiance, though I guess that's because I've fought her way more). The way he jumps, with his gravity being like 3 times stronger than yours, means that I keep charging into his body, and I also keep flying into ceiling lasers when I try to dodge his direct laser. The flow of that fight just feels so very unnatural to me. I imagine a lot of other people have the same issue.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Dancer posted:

But I've done those first 3 things already ugh why is this happening. Le sigh...
Pretty sure two of those only count when You find the nailsmith after he leaves and you win the game after finding Mr Mushroom for the last time. If that's not the issue then tough break I guess.

quote:

And, like, I'm not you, but I'm a person who can clear WP (non-PoP) in 10 minutes, and I'm still only at about 50% win chance against laser dude with less than max level gear (which is funnily about the same winrate as Radiance, though I guess that's because I've fought her way more). The way he jumps, with his gravity being like 3 times stronger than yours, means that I keep charging into his body, and I also keep flying into ceiling lasers when I try to dodge his direct laser. The flow of that fight just feels so very unnatural to me. I imagine a lot of other people have the same issue.
After looking at some old videos (I still can't see what if anything about him got nerfed) the biggest mistake I saw people make is they keep trying to move sideways constantly. You barely need to do any of that. You can trundle after him once he's already mid jump, you don't need to move sideways at all to dodge the direct laser, and if you need to dodge a ceiling laser (you usually don't) you only need to move a fraction over. Running around just makes things harder on yourself and dashing is complete overkill. I'm doing a run with no nail upgrades and I still chumped him first try both times.

Unlike Soul Tyrant who murdered me several times in his second stage.

e: Also playing with the old nail really makes you appreciate how busted nail upgrades are and how good spells are.

Darox fucked around with this message at 15:24 on May 2, 2018

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Soul Tyrant is ez. Stand right at the entrance of the arena. Don’t move horizontally, only jump to avoid his orbs/charges, hit him once or twice when he comes in range, use howling wraiths as necessary. It’s not exactly thrilling but it’s a lot safer than running around the middle of the room.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
I think it's the sign of a pretty well-balanced game when there's a wide variance in how difficult people think each boss is. I think it's more about whether you're playing more defensively or more aggressively. Count me as one of those people who can beat Soul Tyrant without getting hit but got straight housed by the Crystal Guardian. And it took me like a million tries to beat the Watcher Knights. And that loving piece of poo poo Soul Warrior guarding the Shade Soul upgrade. That dude just embarrasses me every loving time. He's not even a real boss!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Gruzmother is still pretty confusing in how much easier she is than everything else in the game. The pinwheel of hollow knight, I guess.