Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I started playing Remember Me earlier as its been sat in my Steam library for a while. I haven't got far (not even to the bar yet) but future Paris looks really good, the art direction is almost like a digital painting in places if that makes sense. The voice acting isn't too bad either.

I know apparently the combat gets samey but for now the combo builder and the weird Enslaved meets Fifth Element with Arkham combat vibe is just what I needed after playing Dark Souls 3 for ages. Looking forward to the memory remixing too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

NonzeroCircle posted:

I started playing Remember Me earlier as its been sat in my Steam library for a while. I haven't got far (not even to the bar yet) but future Paris looks really good, the art direction is almost like a digital painting in places if that makes sense. The voice acting isn't too bad either.

I know apparently the combat gets samey but for now the combo builder and the weird Enslaved meets Fifth Element with Arkham combat vibe is just what I needed after playing Dark Souls 3 for ages. Looking forward to the memory remixing too.

It's a very uneven game but the memory remixing is pretty great. You can tell how and why the studio immediately went on to make an entire game about that.

And the art direction is amazing, I wish there were more francepunk games.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I like games where when you select “Oh no need for payment” the NPCs actually stiff you instead of that being a hidden option for some magical super trinket.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Agent355 posted:

I'm completely incapable of doing the evil route in video games. I just get such a horrible feeling in the pit of my stomach and I've never managed to finish one. This is not me mugging at the camera over how virtuous I am, this is me pointing out how broke brained I am that I feel bad for pixels to the point where I physically can't do a thing.

I can't imagine that's nearly as rare as you might think, it doesn't take much more than being an empathic person who gets easily immersed and invested in fiction. It's kind of like how some people love watching movies where characters die gory deaths while others can't handle it at all.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I definitely find it easy to allow myself to buy into a premise or situation - I find the Lightning Returns "Humanity winding down physically and emotionally" works fairly well on me, and movies like Paranorman and Coco hit me super hard and genuinely make me cry every time. The Plan has terrible controls but hte heist stuff I totally got into due to how satisfying it is, generally a lot of games that are silly but focused allow that level of unironic investment for me.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
I don’t mind taking the evil option, but it’s definitely not my default state.

That said, Infamous Second Son makes you do the evil route for the Platinum, and I thought they did pretty good with it. It definitely is guilty of the “save an orphan/kick a puppy” style of moral choice sometimes, but the writing is so comic book-ish that it really feels like deciding if you’re doing the origin story of a superhero or a supervillain.

Evil Delsyn for the most part is a whiny, bitter dickhead, and it works bizarrely well. He’s not mustache twirlingly evil, just the type of selfish goober who really doesn’t cope well with gaining superpowers and going through life trauma.

(End spoilers for a several year old game ahead) The scene where his brother dies is extra heartbreaking in the evil route, too, because where other cutscenes change due to you being evil, this one is the same in both routes. Despite his brother being a murderous super villain psychopath in training, Reggie still says he’s proud of him and dies to try and save his life. Like, drat.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Just finished my playthrough of RiME. Sorry for the upcoming big end-game spoiler block.

I was really hit in the gut when I got to the final storm scene where you gain control of the father and realize it's his kid that died in the storm. I thought I had it all figured out and was even thinking back to The Truman Show and then the switcheroo happened and bam I'm fighting back tears. But of course, thinking back it was obvious the kid was the one who drowned. My favorite telltale sign is in the first locale, sometimes you'll look somewhere and see the red-hooded figure watching you. However, if you go over where the figure was and look back to where you saw him from, you'll see the figure staring back at you again from that spot. That's because in both instances you're looking at yourself.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Kanfy posted:

I can't imagine that's nearly as rare as you might think, it doesn't take much more than being an empathic person who gets easily immersed and invested in fiction. It's kind of like how some people love watching movies where characters die gory deaths while others can't handle it at all.

I also like movies where people die gory deaths but only if they're expressly supposed to be entertaining in how dumb it is. :saddowns:

Preacher on AMC is great and is also one of my favorite guilty pleasure comic books.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Leavemywife posted:

Some evil choices in games are extremely hosed up. In the first Knights of the old Republic game, for example, you can have your Wookie character, who has sworn a life debt to you, murder his best friend, a 14 year old Twilek girl. They've been practically family to each other for years, and the only family either one has had for just as long.

To be fair, pretty sure sure its the mind trick that makes that happen. He kinda wants to kill you for killing Carth because you're forces to taking the evil route there. Plus I'm pretty sure there is an option to just fight Mission and Zallbar, but if you're already evil you might as well murder a teenage girl while you're at it right?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
To go back to the discussion of emotional investment, I'd like to clarify something - I want to like the games I play. It's less a game "pulling me in" and more me taking it by the metaphorical hand and walking with it into it's world. I'm like "You want me to care? Cool. Put your best foot forward. Make me care. Let's see what you've got."

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Yeah same. When I consume any media I try to meet it halfway and engage with it. I willingly put myself in the right mindset to enjoy whatever it is they're trying to do. Some things do better at meeting ME haflway than others, and those might 'draw me in' more, but overall it's more me making an agreement with the game to play it 'right'.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

that’s the way to do it. A lot of people go out of their way to break games or “outsmart” the creators like it proves something or other. I don’t get that. There’s no reason to go out of your way to give yourself a worse experience.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Replaying a bunch of Street Fighter III: Third Strike at the moment and it's great as ever - and it's the one SF game I'm actually pretty good at due to having some kind of instinctive knack to the parrying system. This time I've been playing it through a great soundsystem with a shitload of bass and man this game has some great tunes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkB5YTK43wQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sfGa5OX22I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxVqms7wDLs

Feels cut from the same cloth as Jet Set Radio and really makes the whole package feel slick and cool.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

NonzeroCircle posted:

the art direction is almost like a digital painting in places if that makes sense.

Digital matte paintings are still very much a thing in games as well as film. Off the top of my head the developer commentary for Human Revolution talks about the studio they hired to create the cityscape in the China level and the cityscape from the big elevator ride at the end of Half Life 2 is just one giant flat texture.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Agent355 posted:

Yeah same. When I consume any media I try to meet it halfway and engage with it. I willingly put myself in the right mindset to enjoy whatever it is they're trying to do. Some things do better at meeting ME haflway than others, and those might 'draw me in' more, but overall it's more me making an agreement with the game to play it 'right'.

For that reason I tend to find didactic "haha you are playing a video game" meta poo poo really tedious. I think it's way riskier and more impressive to emotionally invest the player.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Lots of media just refuses to engage with you. Like before I even get down to brass tacks analysis on whether whatever I'm trying to consume is good or not, I can often just find myself labeling something bad simply because it isn't trying to reach out to me at all even as I'm actively inviting it to.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
It's amazing the sort of absolute evil things you can do in Planescape: Torment considering it's mostly described in text. Even more amazing the absolute evil thing you've already done and can't even hope to be absolved of.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Zanzibar Ham posted:

RiME.
However, if you go over where the figure was and look back to where you saw him from, you'll see the figure staring back at you again from that spot.

Whoa really? I never tried that.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Olive! posted:

Whoa really? I never tried that.

Yeah, it's not from every location (I think), but I seem to remember at least two times, albeit going to the other side of one of them was optional.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Samuringa posted:

I'm really bad at taking the Evil rear end in a top hat option in games. I finished Mafia III yesterday, and if you play your cards right, before you go into the last mission your three captains will be fawning over you and how much you did for them, and how they finally found someone they can trust themselves and their community to. When you come back, they are all making plans for the new city you'll build together and you have the option of Ruling Together or killing them all and Ruling Alone and I don't even want to youtube what happens if you take the second option :(

Evil Options are only fun if the game actually has consequences for them that feel like you've been a huge dick. In the anime robot game Steambot Chronicles there's this evil faction of cartoon nazis who start militantly taking over resources like halfway through the game, driving up the costs for new parts for your robot and things like that. And you're given the option to join them. You get cheap parts again, and a few other benefits like an entire evil side of the story and a few side quests you can only do if you're part of the evil organization. But your friends kind of hate you now. You're given a chance to leave and rejoin your friends at a single point in the story at least.

But there are a couple of different endings depending on your choices, including entirely different final bosses. One plot line has you trying to take over the organization and taking the fall as their leader when they get their asses kicked by the good guys.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

I started playing Let it Die and while I'm starting to get worried about the potential freemium stuff getting in the way of fun, I really dig the style of just about everything. It feels like one of those games where even doing the mundane stuff is enjoyable just because of how the world is.

Also it has a built in radio that has songs I usually like which really was a wonderful thing to find out. I appreciate that its off by default though, I suspect having it blaring in your ears right from the start could turn away potential players if they are the kind of person who only looks at options if they have to.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jeza posted:

One of the absolute best decisions they made for the ME series, especially for 2-3 was to even slightly step away from the extremely dumb saccharine good/pantomime villain binary that plagues AAA RPGs. I'm also in the shoes where I pretty rarely ever take the bad guy option, but it isn't helped by the absurdity of games where they offer subtle choices like: save the younglings or slaughter the younglings.

Many Renegade options in the ME games were fun and understandable decisions in the context of the situation/character, rather than "what is the most evil thing possible I could do"? Having a narrative and an established character setup prevents the absurd see-sawing you can do in games where you are handed a blank slate, and to me that is better design.

I still don't think I've played a game where there is an obvious morality system that is implemented ideally. Maybe it exists, but in my head it would make a lot more sense for the best rewards and other goodies to be gated behind evil decisions specifically to make them more comprehensibly moral dilemmas. My experience is that most games actually reward you more for being a goody two-shoes, refusing payment blah blah when it should really be the opposite, and hamstring you.

They probably don't do that because it would seriously incense the most poisonous subset of gamers, but still. Maybe transparent morality systems are a totally outdated concept and they should all be Witcher-esque actions and consequences without any tally that unlocks options further down the line, because that's far more organic and immersive. But even if that's the case, I'd still say ME's system was a pretty good compromise with compelling reasons to choose both sides (sometimes).

The best morality system in a video game is in Valkyrie Profile: Convenant of the Plume.

The premise is that your protagonist's father was taken by a Valkyrie when he was young and he blames it for the ruination of his family. He makes a deal with Hel to survive a seemingly unsurvivable situation and in return he gets the titular Plume. He can use it to kill his allies in exchange for power. However the game is actually hard enough (especially on a first playthrough) that winning without the plume is a real challenge and the game keeps throwing subtle little things at you to encourage you to use it. (Missions that are difficult in a specific way, characters who are basically begging to be killed, etc.) The game also has three distinct stories each with their own chcaracters and you can only see the full story (and unlock the bonus dungeon) by seeing all three routes, which also involves pluming people at least once. There's even a NG+ that lets you carry over the special bonuses you get for pluming an enemy.

The three routes are basically "I refuse to kill anyone for power" "I've used the plume when I need to in order to survive" and "gently caress these guys, I want to be as strong as possible" and the story and characters reflect your choices and they're all fairly sensible choices to make for the protagonist and your choices are reflected in-game in logical ways.

The "best ending" also doesn't necessarily have the best outcomes for everyone. For example on the best route two characters who join you in other routes end up brutally murdering each other or you end up recruiting basically the world's biggest shitlord who is easily the guy you'd be must justified in pluming.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

NonzeroCircle posted:

Pro-tip: Set the four-hit combo to be all Regen Pressens. You'll thank me when you start encountering a REALLY annoying enemy type midgame.

Also be aware that Remember Me starts off extremely strong, but past the first act (and Memory Remix) it suddenly runs out of story because they lost the original writer. It'll just mumble its way along until the final act where they evidently had more of the initial story draft (and the other Memory Remixes) completed.

It's not a great game overall, but the Remixes are pretty fun. There's also a for-fun/achievement wrong outcome you can create in each that are often well worth seeing. (It'll still fail and reset, but they play from start to finish).

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

There's a mission in far cry 5 that has you preparing bull testicles in different ways for a festival and one of the ways is you have to kill a bull mid coitus. The second you let the cows onto the bullpen "sexual healing" starts playing.

It's one of most perfect musical cues in gaming along with "far away" when crossing into Mexico in red dead redemption or when "power" plays when your defending your base in saints row.

Just so unexpected.

TontoCorazon has a new favorite as of 04:22 on Apr 12, 2018

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

The song cue moments in both RDR and Undead Nightmare are loving fantastic.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

codenameFANGIO posted:

The song cue moments in both RDR and Undead Nightmare are loving fantastic.

Far Away will legit go down as one of my favorite moments in gaming history.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I found those hilarious, because during the part where you are finally going back to the homestead and a song is playing, I was totally into it, then a bear came from offscreen, knocked me off my horse and killed the music permanently. I ended up riding back in silence, laughing pretty hard.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

TontoCorazon posted:

Far Away will legit go down as one of my favorite moments in gaming history.

Hell yeah. I slowed down my horse and just drank in the scenery.
Goddamn that was art.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

BioEnchanted posted:

I found those hilarious, because during the part where you are finally going back to the homestead and a song is playing, I was totally into it, then a bear came from offscreen, knocked me off my horse and killed the music permanently. I ended up riding back in silence, laughing pretty hard.

That's because they couldn't figure out a way to get the song to just play and so it is tied to the horse you ride.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I hope in RDR2 different horses play different music because they just reuse code from GTA radio stations. Some get you Morricone, some get you folk songs. One is super fast but does play the Benny Hill theme.

e: or, y'know

<---

My Lovely Horse has a new favorite as of 10:40 on Apr 12, 2018

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

muscles like this! posted:

That's because they couldn't figure out a way to get the song to just play and so it is tied to the horse you ride.

I know RDR is held together with prayers and hope, but it being so bad that Rockstar were unable to programme a song to start playing over gameplay without tying it to a specific horse is hilarious.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

The horse is the one singing. It's verisimilitude

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

glad she is dead posted:

I know RDR is held together with prayers and hope, but it being so bad that Rockstar were unable to programme a song to start playing over gameplay without tying it to a specific horse is hilarious.

It's actually not as dumb a trigger as you might think; It's an action the player-character is forced into taking post-cutscene and can be reasonably nestled in the horse-mounting code without breaking anything.

It's basically invisible bunny programming.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

The horse is the one singing. It's verisimilitude
"Oh, he just caught a cold the other day."

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

glad she is dead posted:

One of the biggest video games of all time, World of Warcraft, is full of invisible bunnies that do everything from triggering music to spawning spell effects.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I've always been partial to the train in Fallout 3 secretly being the hat of a hidden NPC.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Leavemywife posted:

Some evil choices in games are extremely hosed up. In the first Knights of the old Republic game, for example, you can have your Wookie character, who has sworn a life debt to you, murder his best friend, a 14 year old Twilek girl. They've been practically family to each other for years, and the only family either one has had for just as long.

Knights of the Old Republic probably had one of the best "You are an irredeemable monster" moments for an evil path. If you're dark side, Mission (the 14-year old girl) is the first one to say "Wait, why the gently caress are we following him?" and wants to leave and take Zaalbar (the wookiee) with her. You mind trick him into killing her, then when you go down to the planet, he tries to kill you for forcing him to kill his friend. On top of that, Johlee Bindo (a jedi that stayed out of the war and was trying to remain neutral on the whole matter) thinks you've become a monster and wants to kill you, Carth runs away, and ultimately all you're left with is HK-47, T3-M4, and Canderous Ordo. Two droids and an Mandalorian who follows you because you're stronger than him. Bastila could also join you, or you could kill her because, y'know, sith have a problem with working together.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

glad she is dead posted:

I've always been partial to the train in Fallout 3 secretly being the hat of a hidden NPC.

I quite liked this one from that article;

quote:

iirc the rideable horses in LOTRO were actually a pair of pants you equipped

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I quite liked this one from that article;

And that's where centaurs come from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kennel
May 1, 2008