Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

PhazonLink posted:

Recent example of CA doing another stupid cancer label.

Coffee.

Basically there’s no penalty for labeling something that doesn’t cause cancer as causing cancer but there is for something that causes cancer not being marked. So labeling absolutely everything is the safest way to comply with the law.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

I've got a pink knife from a cancer awareness charity run, which comes in a box saying it contains some substance that causes cancer in California.
Way to raise awareness.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
On the plus side, I'm sure there are companies that decided to use different materials to avoid using the label.

Yes, the labeling requirement appears overly broad. But when it was put up to a vote nobody expected coffee, burned meats, and foods fried at too high a temperature to create chemicals during the cooking process which would be associated with cancer.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
at this point i think it would just be easier for the state to require labeling everything that doesn't cause cancer instead

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Raskolnikov38 posted:

at this point i think it would just be easier for the state to require labeling everything that doesn't cause cancer instead

Distilled water?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

hobbesmaster posted:

Distilled water?

only if it comes in a cancer free container

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
I'd like to see a package of marijuana from California with a cancer warning label on it, to mess with all the "BRO WEED CURES CANCER" people.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LK06OoIyorQ

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Truth. Without the glasses, I'm 3x past the threshold for legal blindness.

Was fun when I accidentally flipped them off my face doing 85 down I-90. Turns out you can drive by Braille using rumble strips!

Sorry for possibly coming off as a bit of a dick, but I have one hell of a time imagining what it must be like to be a legally blind boxer capable of knocking poo poo off of his own face, his eyes into his nose and his nose into his skull and stuff that may or may not be rumble strips into the ground, using perfectly normal everyday objects and circumstances.

You must lead an amazingly eventful life! Could I just follow you around for a day or two and see what you get up to? I'd ask you to promise not to try and kill me by mistake but I'm not sure that would actually help any.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh there's the barricades!

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

An OSHA dash cam video of an incident involving a dump truck and an earth mover but no one dies and no bridges get wrecked!

https://i.imgur.com/NdFvhk4.mp4

:3:

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

Distilled water?

This product contains chemicals known by the state of California to cause water intoxication.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

I didn't think it was possible to put a barricade down with anger and contempt, but here we are.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

SelenicMartian posted:

I've got a pink knife from a cancer awareness charity run, which comes in a box saying it contains some substance that causes cancer in California.
Way to raise awareness.

When I was young and dumb(er), I smoked a cigarette during a breast cancer walk. I was taken aside and told that was not cool. In my defense, I never used the phrase 'you don't get breast cancer in your lungs'.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

SelenicMartian posted:

Way to raise awareness.

Any object containing vinyl theoretically requires that warning on it, which means a vast number of cheap plastic objects and most products incorporating fake leather or rubberized coatings.

It's also on most plastic water bottles because of the trace amounts of BHA on them from polycarbonate manufacturing.

The dumbest one I've yet seen was a sign in a parking garage saying the environment was known to contain a cancer-causing chemical (car exhaust).

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

according to some dumbass neighborhood in SF, i have hip cancer because of my cell phone

E: There is an interesting debate here. Even if you get a slow cancer off the radio waves from your cell phone, is that worse than when we didn't have a computer in our pocket that talked to the rest of the world?

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Apr 12, 2018

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

goatsestretchgoals posted:

E: There is an interesting debate here. Even if you get a slow cancer off the radio waves from your cell phone, is that worse than when we didn't have a computer in our pocket that talked to the rest of the world?

You could argue that smartphones mean there is less need to be in a specific physical location, so we use less resources/generate less pollution because of them.

i.e. I don't have to drive to the office to answer an email, so I am breathing less pollution as a result

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

goatsestretchgoals posted:

Depends on whether it's being used to read your posts.

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

spog posted:

You could argue that smartphones mean there is less need to be in a specific physical location, so we use less resources/generate less pollution because of them.

i.e. I don't have to drive to the office to answer an email, so I am breathing less pollution as a result

otoh if I get cancer I'll have a good excuse to not respond to all these goddamn emails

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_coPciJ4k4

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

spog posted:

you say that as though bosses give enough of a gently caress about the environment to trust their employees to do work when they aren't under their watchful gaze

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

quite stretched out posted:

you say that as though bosses give enough of a gently caress about the environment to trust their employees to do work when they aren't under their watchful gaze

Well, yes, we do have to ignore rear end in a top hat bosses in this assessment.

Mind you:

Yesterday, I had to do the 'check email, make a phone call' thing in both the morning and the afternoon.

In the morning, I was parked in my car, next to rolling green fields, breathing in clean air and listening to the sound of birds
In the afternoon, I was in the office, breathing in industrial cleaning products, photocopier toner particles and ozone, listening to the incessant drone of Sandra and Charlene.

so smartphones are good for your health

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

https://i.imgur.com/h1SdbMP.mp4

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Living in a world where nearly everybody has a video camera in their pocket is good for this thread.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Well I know a guy who knew a guy who died last friday. Got crushed to death by his truck. Was working on the engine and that requires the whole cabin to be lifted up on hydraulics. Well it seems they failed and he got stuck... Seems like a really lovely way to go.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Ouch... I hope everybody's okay.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

hobbesmaster posted:

Distilled water?

The distillation process concentrates radioactive tritium in the water, not to mention the various oxygen radioisotopes. You can absolutely get cancer from any chemical that contains a radioisotope. In theory, at least.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Cichlidae posted:

The distillation process concentrates radioactive tritium in the water, not to mention the various oxygen radioisotopes. You can absolutely get cancer from any chemical that contains a radioisotope. In theory, at least.

Either that or superpowers

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Carbon dating works by means of estimating the time since a then-living object last interacted with the atmosphere, which contains radioactive C-14, which decays over millennia in living and dead objects. Anything living or dead within the last fifty millennia including yourself, and the atmosphere, may give you cancer. Especially yourself may give you cancer.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
GBS: Home of xenForo 2.0 › OSHA: Yourself May Give You Cancer

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

RandomPauI posted:

On the plus side, I'm sure there are companies that decided to use different materials to avoid using the label.

Yes, the labeling requirement appears overly broad. But when it was put up to a vote nobody expected coffee, burned meats, and foods fried at too high a temperature to create chemicals during the cooking process which would be associated with cancer.

No, I'm pretty sure it was known then and the general public is just dumb as dirt. See requiring "treated with radiation" and "contains GMOs" labels.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

just screaming the whole time as the pilot

I've played battlefield2 and gta so I know how it feels

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Helicopters are abominations unto God

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

2/2 ground crew survived and a successful landing. Better than I expected a helicopter MP4 to turn out.

Never trust an airplane who's wings move faster than the fuselage.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Karate Bastard posted:

Sorry for possibly coming off as a bit of a dick, but I have one hell of a time imagining what it must be like to be a legally blind boxer capable of knocking poo poo off of his own face, his eyes into his nose and his nose into his skull and stuff that may or may not be rumble strips into the ground, using perfectly normal everyday objects and circumstances.

You must lead an amazingly eventful life! Could I just follow you around for a day or two and see what you get up to? I'd ask you to promise not to try and kill me by mistake but I'm not sure that would actually help any.

I'm an old, so it's not like this all happened in the space of a week. Also, "legal blindness" is a pretty hazy term that mostly means, "shouldn't drive a vehicle without corrective lenses." I can see shapes, and my depth perception is decent, but yeah, it did gently caress with my ability to be a competitive fighter and is the secondary reason why I gave it up.

My friends are legitimately surprised I still have all my fingats.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

I'm an old, so it's not like this all happened in the space of a week. Also, "legal blindness" is a pretty hazy term that mostly means, "shouldn't drive a vehicle without corrective lenses." I can see shapes, and my depth perception is decent, but yeah, it did gently caress with my ability to be a competitive fighter and is the secondary reason why I gave it up.

My friends are legitimately surprised I still have all my fingats.

More fun DRJ facts, in high school we had to come up with a name with the sound she made while repeatedly mildly electrocuting herself doing something stupid. Like disassembling and rewiring a hotel clock/radio to hook the speaker up to her walkman. We eventually went with "The Sound Of A Dying Platypus". It's sort of this weird low chirping sound.

She also once burned her thumbprints off helping me remove a flaming toaster oven from a classroom. This was, of course, in the middle of a lunch period book club.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
This is amazing! I'm happy you still have fingats :)

Applebee123
Oct 9, 2007

That's 10$ for the spinefund.

hobbesmaster posted:

Distilled water?

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/mar/15/microplastics-found-in-more-than-90-of-bottled-water-study-says

The way I view cancer is basically ever day you are exposed to thousands of particles that could cause cancer.

1 in 100 get breathed in/absorbed.
1 in 100 of those dont get caught by mucus/cellular defeses washed away and removed.
1 in 100 of those are in a location of the body where they can cause serious damage.
1 in 100 of those aren't destroyed by natural body reaction (anti-oxidants, protein regulators) as they begin to cause that damage.
1 in 100 of those aren't destroyed by swaming white blood cells as the damaged part of the body begins to reach critical mass.

Eating say grilled food can double your risk, but its doubling something that has a low probability. You can counteract it by eating a diet rich in anti-oxidants which could half your risk, by exercising reguarly so that a fresh supply of blood cells are constantly pumped to all parts of your body and waste from destroyed cells is quickly pumped out the body.

Applebee123 fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Apr 12, 2018

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I, too, am known to cause cancer by the state of California

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

FuturePastNow posted:

I, too, am known to cause cancer by the state of California

There's a vaccine for HPV now at least.