Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

DancingShade posted:

As detention center room mates awaiting deportation in Dutton's Australia.
That would only apply to the Montenegrin, by mistake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax
my jewish grandfather and his brothers got past white australia because they volunteered to join the army and they were big strong bois

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

snoremac posted:

That would only apply to the Montenegrin, by mistake.

Why would he care about someone from Montana

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

JBP posted:

Why would he care about someone from Montana

They've come to take our land, and then tell us to get off it

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

meteor9 posted:

Wait isn't the bitcoin white paper just the initial proof of concept? Wherein it was more "this is a kinda neat thing that could be done if we work it out further" as opposed to the "if we work it ou- oh okay never mind, terabyte blockchain files ahoy" that's happening?

the white paper is just a proof of concept in much the same way mein kampf is just a memoir

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

If the entire success of your speaking tour rested on the shoulders of one person at the border assessing your intentions why the hell would you be dumb enough to not do your research beforehand?

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Les Affaires posted:

If the entire success of your speaking tour rested on the shoulders of one person at the border assessing your intentions why the hell would you be dumb enough to not do your research beforehand?

there's a specific way of phrasing what you're there to do and she flubbed it basically

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
It probably also helps to get the right visa or something first too.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

DancingShade posted:

It probably also helps to get the right visa or something first too.

That's what I meant really. Do your research, find out whether there's a visa for what you need to do, and when in doubt, get one that is more permissive than the one you need.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Les Affaires posted:

That's what I meant really. Do your research, find out whether there's a visa for what you need to do, and when in doubt, get one that is more permissive than the one you need.

But if you do that you can't get all the free publicity when you SHOCK GASP get sent home on the naughty plane.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/billshortenmp/status/983936273176870912

fucken scrub let's see you play Touhou

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country

ZombyDog posted:

Nah it's alright, they're almost certainly white.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

lol i bet he can't even 1cc r-type delta

fuckin' casual bill

AgentF
May 11, 2009

Why is the book electrocuting her? Did those mongols booby-trap it?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Friendly Jordies with a surprisingly ok take?

https://www.facebook.com/friendlyjordies/videos/1670323789755102/UzpfSTM1OTMxMzM0MDg1NjE2MDoxNjcxNTA4ODM2MzAzMjY0/

I don't know if I agree with everything, but uhhh yeah, I'm not sure he's wrong either. It's certainly an interesting watch.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

hooman posted:

Friendly Jordies with a surprisingly ok take?

https://www.facebook.com/friendlyjordies/videos/1670323789755102/UzpfSTM1OTMxMzM0MDg1NjE2MDoxNjcxNTA4ODM2MzAzMjY0/

I don't know if I agree with everything, but uhhh yeah, I'm not sure he's wrong either. It's certainly an interesting watch.

well he is loving wrong about get krackin' thats for sure

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

He makes staggeringly good points, but he makes them in the dumbest way possible.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

GoldStandardConure posted:

The only thing wrong with Get Krackin' is that it isn't played at the same time as actual morning shows

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

GoldStandardConure posted:

100% true. He nearly lost me at that point but I persevered.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7K-ij6O6pA

I would laugh, if it wasn't actually very sad.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

Lid posted:

A men's squash pairing from Sierra Leone have become the latest African athletes to miss their event at the Gold Coast Commonwealth Games.

Hours after Home Affairs Minister Peter Dutton warned athletes who breached their visa conditions they'd be tracked down, locked up and deported, Sierra Leone's Ernest Jombla and Yusif Mansaray did not appear for their men's doubles match on Thursday morning.

Games officials have confirmed a Rwandan athlete, two Ugandans and potentially one Ghanaian are also missing in action.

I realise many Commonwealth games athletes go 'missing' during these events every time they happen. But how horrible would it be if the Minister for Potato Affairs made his little speech and then it turns out the atheletes were kidnapped and murdered or something similarly horrid. How would that look? I'm saying Minister Potatohead should shut up until they find them.

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

It's cool to keep referring to these people as "Africans" in these stories, just like Australians would be cool with being called Asians.

I'd prefer Oceanians, can we make that a thing please?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Sorry but like the others I'm picturing Peter Dutton personally hunting these people down like Principal Skinner.

"These footprints are from Track and field shoes!....

Annnnd they're still warm..."

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

His brand of gum... doublemint...

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
No Peter, it's the people seeking asylum who are wrong....

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

An overheated opposition leader removed his suit jacket, revealing a T-shirt with an ironed-on sporting the Get Up slogan "Down with offshore detention!". Well, we all had a good laugh, even though I didn't quite understand it. But our momentary lapse of concentration allowed "DiNatalie" to get the drop on us. I spent the next 3 years in the opposition benches.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Employers have angrily rejected union demands to expand bargaining from the workplace to the industry level, warning it is a recipe for them to “make unreasonable claims and cripple whole industries”.

On Thursday the Australian Council of Trade Unions released a suite of policies to increase wages, including allowing protected industrial action to seek uniform conditions across industries and supply chains rather than bargaining workplace by workplace.

The secretary of the ACTU, Sally McManus, has flagged industry-level bargaining as the movement’s key demand since she took over her role in 2017 and warned at the National Press Club in March that enterprise bargaining was “smothering” wage growth.

The Australian Industry Group chief executive, Innes Willox, said the ACTU had “given up on decades of community consensus that Australia needs to have a strong economy and a workplace relations system that does not impose major barriers on job growth”.

“The ACTU’s latest proposals would destroy jobs and the competitiveness of Australian businesses,” he said.

“If the ACTU got its way, unions would be able to make unreasonable claims and cripple whole industries and supply chains until employers capitulated.”

Willox said Australia would “return to the bad old days of the 1960s and 70s when industrial action was rife”.

Enterprise-level bargaining has been in place since 1993 and even the Labor government’s Fair Work Act does not allow workers to strike for uniform conditions across industries.

Industrial action is at historic lows in Australia and wages have stagnated. Figures released in August show that in the past year wages grew by a record low 1.9%. Australia has recorded 20 consecutive quarters of falling wage growth for private sector workers.

Willox said it was “a joke” that the ACTU “wants us all to trust that militant unions would only very rarely use the new powers”.

Anthony Forsyth, a labour law academic at RMIT university, told Guardian Australia that while employers would be concerned about the potential for “a big upsurge in industrial action” he questioned whether the proposed changes “will make a big practical difference”.

He noted the decreasing membership of unions, suggesting that even with increased legal rights there is a “disinclination to participate” in collective action.

Forsyth said it may be time to “revisit the concept of bargaining being limited to the enterprise” due to changes in the workforce, including increasing use of labour hire and franchising.

While not endorsing industry-level bargaining, Forsyth suggested that where labour hire employees work alongside direct employees for long periods of time it was arguable they should be covered by the same enterprise agreement.

The Australian Chamber of Commerce and Industry said the ACTU policy would result in “the law of the jungle” governing Australian industrial relations.

“The ACTU calls this a blueprint to give Australia a pay rise,” the statement said. “In reality it’s a blueprint for strikes and increased union power at the expense of jobs – unless wage increases are affordable one person’s pay rise will cost another person their job.

“We call on unions to work with business to fix the system, not destroy it.”

Despite the employer fury, Labor has shown some willingness to shift towards industry-level bargaining, particularly for low-paid workers and to achieve gender pay equity.

The workplace relations minister, Craig Laundy, warned that strikes were 40 times higher in the 1970s, and similar levels of disputation could return if the “ACTU/Labor plan becomes a reality”.

“Labor needs to come clean and declare which elements of the ACTU’s destructive blueprint they will inflict on Australia if elected,” he said.

The ACTU suggested a special pay equity panel should be set up on the Fair Work Commission that is “dedicated to achieving equal pay for women”.

It also wants changes to awards, the safety net of minimum conditions for 2.3 million workers. It warned there was a widening gap between award conditions and enterprise agreements, leading to a trend of employers seeking to have collective agreements terminated.

The ACTU’s other demands include reversing penalty rate cuts made by the Fair Work Commission in the retail and hospitality industries and calls to make the minimum wage a “living wage” of 60% of average weekly earnings.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

bell jar posted:

How would you describe two french people, a montenegrin, two germans and one finn? I'm guessing European

Do they all walk into a bar?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

The Salvos in Victoria have been stripped of their contract for looking after children in Victoria

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-04-13/salvation-army-lose-contract-for-kids-care-after-teen-drug-death/9634308?WT.ac=statenews_vic

Good. The government should be running youth services like this, not giving it to a bunch of happy clappy religious types who think the only ways to fix problem children is either through praying or sexual assault.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

EoinCannon posted:

No Peter, it's the people seeking asylum who are wrong....

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Anidav posted:

The Australian Chamber of Commerce and Industry said the ACTU policy would result in “the law of the jungle” governing Australian industrial relations.

“The ACTU calls this a blueprint to give Australia a pay rise,” the statement said. “In reality it’s a blueprint for strikes and increased union power at the expense of jobs – unless wage increases are affordable one person’s pay rise will cost another person their job.

“We call on unions to work with business to fix the system, not destroy it.”

Don't bother presenting any evidence, and also feel free to ignore the fact that we've been trying that since the 90s, gave Employers most of the power to the point where we can't even withdraw our labour without approval from a stacked statutory body - and It. Didn't. Work.

I trust the ACTU to handle this well, but the ALP have a tremendous capacity to gently caress up comms on this sort of stuff.

Oh yeah it'd also be really loving good if the Greens were out there supporting Change the Rules, seeing as it's all very well aligned to their policies but *tumbleweeds*

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The greens are more interested in finding a popular social enterprise CEO with lots of green money to run against Kearney.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

It's amazing how they're crying about there was a lot more strike action in the 60s and 70s compared to now when we're not allowed to strike any more

It's like saying that the amount of complaints have gone down now that we've sewed everybody's lips shut

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

JBP posted:

The greens are more interested in finding a popular social enterprise CEO with lots of green money to run against Kearney.

Jesus christ you are salty about the greens.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
A Sydney RSL has cancelled a war-themed video game tournament, in which players shoot dead their opponents to win cash prizes, after complaints in the lead-up to Anzac Day that it was inappropriate and disrespectful to war veterans.

The tournament, based on the popular video game Call of Duty: World War II, was to be held at Castle Hill RSL in Sydney's north-west on May 8 — less that two weeks after Anzac Day.

However, veterans complained to the NSW Minister for Veterans' Affairs, David Elliot, that the tournament was "distasteful" and "inappropriate".

"I've never played the game but I understand this is a game of skill and you go into the virtual reality and kill the enemy," Mr Elliot said.

"In this case, Castle Hill RSL is offering up to $300 in prize money if you kill enough people."

Mr Elliott said there were plenty of entertainment options for an RSL to provide and that it was a "strange" choice for the RSL.

"I do think promoting war as entertainment a week after Anzac Day, in front of veterans and war widows is probably just stepping over the line," he said.

Mr Elliot said he had "informally" expressed his concerns to the RSL movement and had spoken to the NSW Minister for Racing Paul Toole about the issue.

"I've told [him] that my interpretation of the regulations from the Department of Gaming and Racing are that games cannot be distasteful and I think that the concerns raised by my constituents that it could be deemed as distasteful are justified," he said.

Mr Elliott, who is a former army officer and former peacekeeper, said that he was a big supporter of the RSL, however he was morally obligated to raise the concerns of his constituents.
Tournament cancelled and promotions removed

The Group chief executive officer of Castle Hill RSL, David O'Neil, said the club had run several eSports events in the past "without incident" but now accepted that "the WWII focus of this promotion is not an appropriate one for an RSL club".

"As an organisation, we support and respect our veteran community and the last thing we'd want to do is to offend anyone," he said.

Mr O'Neil said the club had removed all promotional material surrounding the event and would not run similar promotions in the future.

The company behind the tournament, Video Gamers League, hosts "E-sport tournaments" in which players compete for prizes playing video games.

The company's website boasts that it has hosted more than 60 events in entertainment venues "attracting large crowds competing for big prizes".

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

That sounds dumb but: a game of skill and you go into the virtual reality and kill the enemy, lol

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

NPR Journalizard posted:

Jesus christ you are salty about the greens.

:shrug: maybe it has something to do with their awful campaigning and lovely candidates, or maybe the creeping centrism of their leader :shrug:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

bell jar posted:

:shrug: maybe it has something to do with their awful campaigning and lovely candidates, or maybe the creeping centrism of their leader :shrug:

It is wrong and bad to be salty about foremost left wing party being a hosed up clown show.

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!
Has any one else been getting occasional phone calls the last few months from the CBA asking about what you plan to do with your savings account and if you want to come into your local branch and talk home loans? Today I got another one and they started asking about if I had any interest in investment properties as well, which was new.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

That sounds dumb but: a game of skill and you go into the virtual reality and kill the enemy, lol

I don’t think there is a way he could possibly have phrased that to seem more out of touch. Does he even understand what video games are?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

fiery_valkyrie posted:

I don’t think there is a way he could possibly have phrased that to seem more out of touch. Does he even understand what video games are?

Why should he give a poo poo?

• Locked thread