Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

TL:DR for the MTGA "State of the Beta"

• The stress test was a success, nothing broke and everything worked as it should.
  • Brawl is not even nearly a high priority, they want to see how popular the format is in paper before committing.
  • Draft will be the next format and we should see it "very soon"
  • They're adding more sorting options to the collection screen including "Set" fields. They are asking for further feedback on this
  • The somewhat random shuffler will stay for single matches but will be truly (or as close as a computer can get) random for best of 3
  • They're considering not giving the die roll winner the option to pass play as MTGO data diving shows 95%+ of people always take the play anyway. The 5% is also usually people trying something funky post sideboard
  • The Exert ability is being looked at as it's not ideal
  • They are looking at the new player experience but not right now as other stuff is more important
  • Matchmaking is how it is, the reason you sometimes get odd matches is that you have a separate hidden MMR that could be very different to your actual rank

No mention of either the lovely roadblock quests or anything at all about the economy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

This is all very confusing. Do you mind if I call you Rodriguez?
Has hidden MMR ever been well received in any game ever? Serious players hate it because they want to see their MMR and casual players get mad when they're matched against higher ranked players. Why do game developers keep doing this to themselves?

Not giving the die roll winner the option is brilliant and something I wish they would implement in paper too. I'm way too tired of people asking me if I want to go first every time I win a die roll. In standard. With my red aggro deck.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
tbf the red aggro mirror has historically been one of the few times you'd prefer to be on the draw

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Manaless dredge is the only deck I can think of where being forced to play is actively hurtful, but people who play that are already masochists so whatever

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

mandatory lesbian posted:

Manaless dredge is the only deck I can think of where being forced to play is actively hurtful, but people who play that are already masochists so whatever

Yeah that's called out in the dev post as one of the specific fringe cases.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Am I correct in my assessment that a play set of all the Ixalan check lands is a solid investment for present/future deck building? They seem really strong for 2 colored decks.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

Am I correct in my assessment that a play set of all the Ixalan check lands is a solid investment for present/future deck building? They seem really strong for 2 colored decks.

Yeah, lands are (almost) always a solid choice and worth picking up, the enemy pair check lands are coming in DOM too so the full cycle will be available soon.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Cool. The fast lands look decent to me also. Cycling lands I’m not as sure about. Would they be for something like Approach where you need to get certain cards into your hand ASAP?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

Cool. The fast lands look decent to me also. Cycling lands I’m not as sure about. Would they be for something like Approach where you need to get certain cards into your hand ASAP?

The cycling is nice when you've hit the top of your curve and you'd rather have a spell than topdeck another land drop.

Note that they also have the subtypes, which is important if you're running checks (for example Fetid Pools is a swamp-island, which means it lets your Dragonskull Summits and Drowned Catacombs come in untapped)

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
They need to make Morph lands

edit: oh wait no that would probably suck a lot

Mill Lands or Discard Lands? as in you mill three or discard a card or something like that or it enters tapped.

Bonus: the Mill lands are actual mills

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Apr 12, 2018

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib

Kurtofan posted:

Mill Lands or Discard Lands? as in you mill three or discard a card or something like that or it enters tapped.

Bonus: the Mill lands are actual mills

Both of those effects would be beneficial for Dredge :)

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Kurtofan posted:

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Yeah those are both upsides, not downsides.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Buffis posted:

Both of those effects would be beneficial for Dredge :)

oh yeah I didn't think this through

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Getting rare lands in MTG arena feels SO drat BAD. I get rare wildcards roughly every... 2 weeks? I'm definitely spending those on 3 more Champion of Wits, a 2nd Approach of the Second Sun, 4 Vraska's Contempt, etc. Lands are a luxury otherwise you don't have anything good to cast with them. So you pretty much have to hope for getting them out of packs, which sucks if you don't open the right packs.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
What an odd reversal from regular magic, where dual lands almost always have utility and are one of the better things you can pull from any given pack

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Zoetic Cavern was good before M10 and the combat damage isn't on the stack anymore rule. You could block, kill something, then flip it and the damage wouldn't matter because hey, it's a land.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Full spoiler is tomorrow, right?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

TheChirurgeon posted:

What an odd reversal from regular magic, where dual lands almost always have utility and are one of the better things you can pull from any given pack

I'm still happy enough to pull ones that match the decks I'm working on. Straight up untyped taplands are trash, for the garbage.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/card-image-gallery/dominaria?ab

Full spoiler

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Oh poo poo

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/card-image-gallery/dominaria

(full spoiler is up)

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Apr 12, 2018

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
power creep

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Tokens

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/card-preview/tokens-dominaria-2018-04-12?a

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009
The knight token is gorgeous, I don't know if I'll ever play with them but I want a full art foil one right now.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

those saproling tokens are too cute

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
birb

edit:

lol eye like this one

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
i like how the gideon's reproach reprint implies gideon can kill two bears with a single punch

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Owlbear Camus posted:

I'm still happy enough to pull ones that match the decks I'm working on. Straight up untyped taplands are trash, for the garbage.

Untyped taplands are usually uncommons, and the triple color ones have enough utility to use in constructed play from time to time. The dual taplands aren't constructed good, but I'm glad they make them because I use them a lot for casual decks I put together

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

the size of that thallid's gullet

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Kurtofan posted:

birb

edit:

lol eye like this one

Glad to have Into the Roil back

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Into the Roil was a solid limited card, this functional reprint should prove to be equally good. Especially since it seems like the rest of the limited environment is less insanely aggressive than Zendikar limited was.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
This "plains" made me laugh

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
For standard constructed, this set seems like another meh.

For everything else, this set seems pretty interesting. Maybe that was the goal?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Time to build Flying Men in standard.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Murder is too strong for standard, so we get.... Eviscerate? Lame.

I think some of the equipment might not be too bad. Forebear's blade seems good if you can get it rolling early, and short sword is cheap enough to run and equip for some of the equipment-based abilities.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Tainen posted:

This "plains" made me laugh

It's a callback to the Urza's Saga plains

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Seems like it could be good

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
where are the basics for dominaria? not seeing them in the full spoiler.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
Can't wait to build my janky Jhoira deck with Gilded Lotus, Powerstone Shards, Paradox Engine, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Soul Glo posted:

where are the basics for dominaria? not seeing them in the full spoiler.

They are the bottom? They show up for me.