Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
I bought every edition since 2010 (honestly probably a few beforehand, I've kinda forgotten), and have three figures on all of them (>1000 only on 15-17), but IN MY DEFENSE I do a lot of test games for all my database modding and leave the game in the background for other stuff a lot...

...oh who am I kidding, I'm a broken man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Huh,

Didn't expect these results:

2010 - 48
2011 - 554
2012 - 431
2013 - 206
2014 - 190
2016 - 63
2017 - 108

Been thinking about picking up 2018 on sale, but it's looking like it's not all that different from 2017 at all.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I'm back to....CM00/01. I skipped...16 I think?

The EA football manager game in like 2005-6 was excellent as I recall

edit - the best non-regen player in FM history was Thierry Henry cir 2004

special runner up to noted soccer star Nik Besagno cir 2005

bewbies fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Apr 11, 2018

Humbaba
Aug 4, 2006
FM11: 1641
FM12: 4536
FM14: 2101
FM16: 677
FM17: 437

I definitely leave the game running in the background for days (cough weeks) at a time. Part of the change is me aging, though. I have more real life responsibilities now than I did 7 years ago and I play many fewer games because of them.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

FM11: 1842
FM12: 2062
FM13: 1022
FM14: 1064
FM15: 640
FM16: 393
FM17: 85
FM18: 439

Tbf to FM17, I was really super into SWTOR then.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
It's time to do the /hoursplayed walk of shame...

FM10 - 1055
FM11 - 2779
FM12 - 2197
FM13 - 1863
FM14 - 1857
FM15 - 1182
FM16 - 2253
FM17 - 1651
FM18 - 2002

2011 was probably my playing peak. The scores are all over the place, but clearly 2015 wasn''t my favourite.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

People with high hour counts: How do you play? Is it playing every single game? Do you vacation alot in game?
Lower League to excellence? etc etc

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Slotducks posted:

People with high hour counts: How do you play? Is it playing every single game? Do you vacation alot in game?

I play most games. There are a few that I'll "Instant Result", especially friendlies.

I believe there may be some correlation too with hours spent playing and number of leagues loaded in your save. Clearly, it takes a lot more time for me to advance the calendar one day with 20-30 different leagues loaded.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

When I was racking up the big hours it was usually while hanging out with my uni flatmate, half-playing FM and half-watching some tv show or other. I play every game but don't necessarily pay that much attention.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
My scouts just told me about this kid:

I don't really need any more strikers, but it would be kinda cool to have an actually decent Gibraltan player.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Sign him up either way because you'll be able to turn a tidy profit on him even if you cannot fit him in your squad.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
I have a thousand hours in every FM from 14 onwards, to me it's the best background game ever made. As mentioned by other posters I'm not playing it constantly, I have it tabbed in the background and usually leave the rear end Man to handle the friendlies. It's just easy and reliable, if I can't think of any other game to play FM always scratches the itch and requires hardly any concentration.

It's also the perfect stoner game.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Slotducks posted:

I've got some crazy hour amounts and it comes from a combo of playing mostly every game and also leaving it open like, all day. I home office and basically use one of my computers as a FM/OOTP box to just idly click through throughout the day

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

bewbies posted:

I'm back to....CM00/01. I skipped...16 I think?

The EA football manager game in like 2005-6 was excellent as I recall

edit - the best non-regen player in FM history was Thierry Henry cir 2004

I love seeing old player stats like that. It's fun to look at Henry then and Henry in his last season in fm, 2012 or whenever he retired.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
There was one year on PES, 07 maybe, when Alan Smith was a worldbeater. That was a weird year.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The two games I did data for have the lowest playtime of the ones I own. 14 & 15 together were over 1000 hours.

I never leave stuff on or things running in the background, so that's all intense concentration and shouting at the screen time.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

vyelkin posted:

There was one year on PES, 07 maybe, when Alan Smith was a worldbeater. That was a weird year.

2006-07 was hilarious because Eddie Johnson could grow into an insane player in career modes

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

I've got 250 hours in 18, but i racked up 713 hours in 2016 and I'd wager it was a lot more in previous ones which aren't in my steam library. Tbh a lot of the hours are with it in the background while I'm at work...

Waffles Inc. posted:

2006-07 was hilarious because Eddie Johnson could grow into an insane player in career modes

I loved Bogdan Stancu in like 08-10, what's everyone's best lowkey wonderkid

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Oscar Ustari in FM08 I think was the best goalkeeper ever.

Shroud
May 11, 2009
Triple threat of Nicholas Millan, Sherman Cardenas, and Rene Mihelic.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
FM08 I think I turned Kerlon into a worldie one time. You know, the guy who was literally famous for about five seconds thanks to a youtube video where he does the "seal dribble" and then gets kicked in the face nine times.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

kerlon was really really good in one of the games around then yeah

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

not a wonderkid but i liked when football manager put in the rory delap throw-in just because, and now its still there being used by people who don’t do that throw-in

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Rory Delap long thrower extraordinaire was a weird episode in football. Towel undershirts and giving away corners instead of long throws and Wenger demanding kick-ins and touchline/advertising hoardings shenanigans.

What a time to be alive.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
i think i talk about rory delap to my kid more than any other retired footballer minus zidane and maybe fat ronaldo

serious question: why doesn't every team teach a guy to do that

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

iirc it got less and less effective as teams learned how to deal with them

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
My fav moment of playing uni football was hearing some random shout "watch out, he's got a long throw" as I was winding up to take one.

I couldn't do a flat bullet one though.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

I've seen a few players in lower leagues of England using a long throw its kinda reached the point as someone above pointed out of only really being effective against bad lower league defenders.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

The Croc posted:

I've seen a few players in lower leagues of England using a long throw its kinda reached the point as someone above pointed out of only really being effective against bad lower league defenders.

It owns in the adult rec leagues I’ve played in

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

So in my career game in FM17 I started out unemployed with Sunday League experiene,, got a job at Worcester City, managed to get them promoted via playoffs in my first full season and consolidate in the next league the year after that. Jumped ship to Shamrock in Ireland halfway through the following season and somehow pulled off an unbeaten domestic season (January to December) in league and cups.

That led to me being offered the Ireland international job out of the blue, which seems unlikely but not impossible. The weird part came a month later, before I'd even played a game for Ireland, when I got a message from Denmark offering me their job. Definitely can't see the logic there, even with my presumably enhanced reputation from the Ireland appointment.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

bewbies posted:

I guess CM/FM wasn't quite as accurate with their attributes back then.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Is there an actual tangible benefit in FM with having a high long throw stat and not the cool special move? I honestly couldnt distinguish any players irl who are better or worse at throw ins than anyone else, does it just affect throw distance and if so why don't they just use strength for that like with goalkeepers

Lemon
May 22, 2003

I really wish there was an option to say to a player "I didn't accept the transfer offer for you because it came in out of the blue on the last day of the window, leaving us no time to sign a replacement, what the gently caress do you expect"

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Lemon posted:

I really wish there was an option to say to a player "I didn't accept the transfer offer for you because it came in out of the blue on the last day of the window, leaving us no time to sign a replacement, what the gently caress do you expect"

I had a player ask to leave because Barcelona were interested in him, I accepted and offered him out for sale, Barca never bid, so he got mad that he was on the transfer list and demanded that I not sell him, and now I've got a promise to not sell a player who wants to leave to a team that he wants to go to, that don't want him.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Bogan Krkic posted:

I had a player ask to leave because Barcelona were interested in him, I accepted and offered him out for sale, Barca never bid, so he got mad that he was on the transfer list and demanded that I not sell him, and now I've got a promise to not sell a player who wants to leave to a team that he wants to go to, that don't want him.

Lmao this is beautiful

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

That actually sounds fairly accurate at least. Whiny, delusional manchild? Sounds like a soccer player to me!

OoohU
Oct 26, 2013

Bitches ain't shit but genejacks & synths

Bogan Krkic posted:

I mean you've just described Riyad Mahrez essentially so at least FM is being realistic in that sense.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Bogan Krkic posted:

My favourites are the game-time promises, especially the ones where you promise to give a guy more playing time and then he gets mad that you broke your promise - because there were no games in that timeframe whatsoever.
Or how "well, you spent months out injured with an achilles tendon problem, maybe that's why you didn't get game time" is never a valid option.

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

Doesn't the "x player is in great form" answer work for almost every one of the playing time complaints? I know it seemed to back in FM 16.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Sometimes you’ll get the player saying “He’s not that good”

My least favourite is that once you try to convince a player to stay, sometimes there’s no option to back down and agree to sell them. If they say no they need to win the Champions League, sometimes every option is some variation on “gently caress you, you can rot in the reserves”