Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Is putting together Clash teams worth its own thread in PGS?

I’d like to put together a plat+ team (this season or last because I’m still technically gold this season, lol) that takes things Somewhat Seriously in terms of trying to win, without any of the usual “uhhhh so what role am I” during champ select. Ideally, we’d spend some time thinking about ideal team comps and have some sort of a plan going into each draft.

Me: Support who abused Janna to diamond last season. I’m pretty chill and I don’t rage out at people during games (I hope!!)

You: has a main role and time this weekend; can play to win and still have fun; isn’t going to have a meltdown and yell at our jungler for not ganking or get all passive aggressive; at least a plat-caliber player and 8/10 in terms of looks (be honest please)

PM me or add me. Ign: KillGoldfish

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

. Pick kai'sa and Nami

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

njsykora posted:

Drafting Yasuo basically guarantees no jungle attention to any other lane because your jungler wants to get him ahead so he's getting kills while doing dumb 1v5s and the enemy jungler will be camping him to try and get him raging.

This should be the case whenever a yasuo is in the game but I rarely see it happen. It tilts me so hard when junglers start red buff on red side. If your toplaner is a carry champion you should never start on his side because lvl3 he will 100% die if you go for your 2nd buff. Only option is to stay on that side of the map and invade enemy blue. Also if he doesn't die to the lvl3 gank he will lose flash and still tp back on the furthest minion up, if enemy jungler is around then he is for sure dead.

Like if your toplaner is Jayce/Riven/Any carry champ you know that guy has 0 map awareness and he will push/bully the enemy top under turret while you are now on the other side of the map.

DaStampede
Feb 8, 2018

pog boyfriend posted:

yasuo is a pretty good character if your team works together but unfortunately is played by morons and is despised so much that it never works properly

E: and to make it perfectly clear you do not just build around yasuo by taking lots of knockups, you also need to get other sources of magic damage and etc. 5 ad with knockups is still 5 ad

I've still picked Nami too many times to help a Yasuo who failed to deliver.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Alistar is the real Help Your Yasuo pick. Nami is good with him during mid/late, but Alistar can gank his lane. If you gank for a Yasuo and get him a kill as a support, you can win the landing phase for your entire team instead of just bot.

DaStampede
Feb 8, 2018

kingcobweb posted:

Alistar is the real Help Your Yasuo pick. Nami is good with him during mid/late, but Alistar can gank his lane. If you gank for a Yasuo and get him a kill as a support, you can win the landing phase for your entire team instead of just bot.

True, if you don't suck at landing his combo. I should get my lazy rear end into the sandbox practice mode and get better at it. Ali is a solid supp.

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT
galaxy brain level thinking, just play yasuo bot with alistar

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

DaStampede posted:

True, if you don't suck at landing his combo. I should get my lazy rear end into the sandbox practice mode and get better at it. Ali is a solid supp.

His combo has a One Weird Tip to it that makes it dead simple: Q will always buffer after W has reached the target. You press W on the target and wait for Headbutt to begin, then either hit Q or hold down Q (if you want to be really sure) so that it'll come out as soon as you arrive on the target.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

amazeballs posted:

didn't know qtie posted here

Nightgull
Jan 22, 2018

TOTALLY NOT A CONSERVATIVE
or a fucking nazi

amazeballs posted:

This actually works pretty well at level 25 blind pick!!

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Dont play the cow man, they forgot to give that hero an ultimate spell

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

strong bird posted:

Dont play the cow man, they forgot to give that hero an ultimate spell

Only registered members can see post attachments!

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Ali gets his ult at level two with WQ

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

nami canonically listens to brockhampton

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Only reason to play Alistar is to spam you can't milk those.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

If you like to win games, you should play Alistar. If you like to have any fun or anything approaching a mastery curve, you should not play Alistar.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Sneaky is now cosplaying Pizza Delivery Sivir and it is good

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Kiranamos posted:

Sneaky is now cosplaying Pizza Delivery Sivir and it is good

It's less elaborate than Lux but much better executed imo.
https://twitter.com/Sneaky/status/984161058775490560?s=19

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
If C9 doesn't qualify for worlds can Sneaky bring pizza to the analyst desk

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Vermain posted:

If you like to win games, you should play Alistar. If you like to have any fun or anything approaching a mastery curve, you should not play Alistar.

Check out this totally wrong post

Alistar isn’t the most mechanically demanding, but there are other ways for a champ to be difficult. He requires a ton of map awareness to take advantage of how good he is at roaming, enabling ganks, and tower diving. A real Alistar main is terrifying and can win all three lanes almost singlehandedly. Champion.gg backs me up on this, check out his data on win rate by experience

If you don’t think it’s fun to circle around behind mid tower and headbutt their midlaner our from under it then idk what to tell you

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
wow check out all this fun I'm Not Having https://plays.tv/video/5acf2fbb8bcbb07df8/alistar-is-not-fun-

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

a champion is only fun and difficult if they have 70 buttons to hit and require playing the minigame from mario party 2 where you memorize the flags the shy guy shows you in order to land a 100 damage q at level 1

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

kingcobweb posted:

If you don’t think it’s fun to circle around behind mid tower and headbutt their midlaner our from under it then idk what to tell you

It's definitely a taste thing. I find Alistar dull because he's largely a test of game knowledge over mechanics. It's the same reason Janna and Lulu bore me to tears: your skill ceiling is mostly tied to your effective game knowledge, and while you do get better the more and more games you play with them, I suspect that's more the tangible benefits of learning the specific playstyle of that archetype (since Janna and Alistar are the prototypical members of their respective niches) than it is about mastering the W -> Q combo, something which you can get down pat in probably 10 games or less.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Endorph posted:

a champion is only fun and difficult if they have 70 buttons to hit and require playing the minigame from mario party 2 where you memorize the flags the shy guy shows you in order to land a 100 damage q at level 1

When it comes down to amount of keybinds 70 was unironically a lower bound for some classes in WoW Arena. Hunter had an upper bound of 120 in some seasons.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Apr 12, 2018

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Every time I think back to WoW arena, the phrase "well-timed mace stun" echoes through my head like a gong. How the heck did people seriously play that?

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Vermain posted:

It's definitely a taste thing. I find Alistar dull because he's largely a test of game knowledge over mechanics. It's the same reason Janna and Lulu bore me to tears: your skill ceiling is mostly tied to your effective game knowledge, and while you do get better the more and more games you play with them, I suspect that's more the tangible benefits of learning the specific playstyle of that archetype (since Janna and Alistar are the prototypical members of their respective niches) than it is about mastering the W -> Q combo, something which you can get down pat in probably 10 games or less.

Just go play Invoker

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vermain posted:

Every time I think back to WoW arena, the phrase "well-timed mace stun" echoes through my head like a gong. How the heck did people seriously play that?

I played thousands of LoL matches and I don't think anything in LoL or any competitive game ever induced even the tiniest fraction of rage that was playing against rogues. In retrospective I think Arena has made me a much more zen player.

At some point I'd just quit the matches against Rogue+Lock to save everyone time. I remember a season long win rating of 0% against that.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Apr 12, 2018

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

Vermain posted:

It was even better in the early days of Windfury totem and Sword Mastery proccing eachother, leading to an instant 5-7 attacks sometimes instagibbing your Priest

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
WoW arena was maybe one of the hardest competitive games of all time, don't at me

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
In all fairness a nearly out-of-mana Orangemarmalade at 10% health 1v2ing a full health SK Gaming was one of the insanest gaming moments I've ever seen and it's kinda lost in time because everyone can kinda get Justin vs Daigo or Faker vs Ryu but no one rightfully gives a flying poo poo about WoW Arena and even if they did, it was really hard to follow what the hell was going on.

Edit: Not to mention boring as gently caress to watch after the initial kill.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Apr 12, 2018

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

the most insane gaming moment was in a goonman some teemo put down 300 mushrooms and i walked into like 12 in a row trying to gank and died

E: when caitlyn crits on a head shot they should make nami say “jason bourne with the headshot”

pog boyfriend fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Apr 12, 2018

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Elentor posted:

In all fairness a nearly out-of-mana Orangemarmalade at 10% health 1v2ing a full health SK Gaming was one of the insanest gaming moments I've ever seen and it's kinda lost in time because everyone can kinda get Justin vs Daigo or Faker vs Ryu but no one rightfully gives a flying poo poo about WoW Arena and even if they did, it was really hard to follow what the hell was going on.
Can you explain this for people that never followed what appears to be competitive Super Mario 64

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

kingcobweb posted:

Can you explain this for people that never followed what appears to be competitive Super Mario 64

The big icons on the sides show which class each person is playing. The yellow and red staff is Mages (bursty casters with CC, think somewhere inbetween Leblanc, Lux and Lulu), the white and blue staff with a cross is Priests (healers with shields and a long-cooldown damage reduction skill). The two daggers are rogues. Both of those die early and are unimportant.

SK Asia are 2v1 in the fight that started 3v3, which is usually just a formality to finish off, especially when it's Mage vs Mage & Priest. SK get cocky and the SK Mage follows the HON Mage into an enclosed area, where his Priest can't help him much, and then the HON Mage (Orangemarmalade) pops every cooldown and bursts him down, while using CC to prevent the arriving Priest from saving him. Then the HON Mage kites and jukes for a long time while slowly getting his health, mana and cooldowns back, at which point he eventually kills the remaining Priest too.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Sexpansion posted:

WoW arena was maybe one of the hardest competitive games of all time, don't at me

It's too bad that it's not really easy to follow, because I imagine it's pretty fun for the people doing it. I've tried watching it occasionally but unless you know the classes it's really hard to get a sense of anything.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
It isn't really that fun, actually

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?

henkman posted:

It isn't really that fun, actually

I liked playing a demo warlock with my feral hunter buddy dying to a holy priest and resto druid because they outhealed all damage we ever did. That was cool dying to moonfire spam

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Man don't even joke about Super Mario 64 :v:

kingcobweb posted:

There's kinda of a huge slow down of what happened with text explaining the events here.

The TLDR is that he lured them, guessed which skills they would use and in which order, baited all of them, stole the priest's shield and used a combination of game mechanics to increase his own damage by properly absorbing the incoming damage, then dealt the exact damage he needed to kill the enemy mage. Also, despite how it looks because the game can't show what's happening for poo poo, your decision making in arena had to be significantly faster than your decision making in a LoL teamfight most of the time.

If he had rushed, he would have died. If he had taken a few miliseconds longer, he would have died. If he had executed any other combination of skills (and like I said, the amount of skills a single character in WoW had was huge, in that period he probably had more buttons and passives than the 10 players in a single LoL match altogether) in a 10 seconds range, he would have died. The decision tree of skills as a mage in WoW is pretty huge. Besides having to play a mind-game and guessing their actions, he had to keep a mental tab on what buffs the enemies had and their skill cooldowns as well, which people have trouble doing in LoL against a few ults.

And he had to be stone cold about it because he was in a completely hopeless situation. The narrators are pretty much singing on how SK won and honestly I don't think anyone saw it coming. Imagine if Faker's Zed had started at even lower health, and Ryu had a tanky dedicated healer next to him, the entire tournament depended on that Zed vs Zed fight and that's more or less the situation for Orangemarmalade there.

You can probably count the amount of players in the world who understood what happened during the match in one hand. I was watching it live with a mage gladiator (the highest rank/challenger equivalent) friend and he couldn't even begin to explain.

Dragongem posted:

It's too bad that it's not really easy to follow, because I imagine it's pretty fun for the people doing it. I've tried watching it occasionally but unless you know the classes it's really hard to get a sense of anything.

It wasn't super fun, unfortunately. It was challenging and because of that it gave you a nice sense of satisfaction when you reached a nice milestone but it wasn't a particularly fun form of PvP. Hell, I think raiding was a far more cathartic competitive experience, if you want my opinion.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Apr 12, 2018

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

what does this have to do with league of legends !!

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Not much sorry for the derail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

pog boyfriend posted:

what does this have to do with league of legends !!

You mean he wasn't talking about league when he said this????

quote:

It wasn't super fun, unfortunately. It was challenging and because of that it gave you a nice sense of satisfaction when you reached a nice milestone but it wasn't a particularly fun form of PvP.