Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

Incy posted:

You say that but there is the flying boring blob and the not heavy support myrmidons there so maybe he was being sarcastic?

Ursarax are the best thing ever though so I am confused.

Imagine being this wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Awesome! Thanks for all the tips.

I'm really taken with the model line, it's pretty dang great.

I'll order the army list book and start having a tinker with different lists.

I didn't realise the hoplites were useful outside of Titan protection, but having a look at their rules they seem great, which is awesome, because their models are very cool.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Don’t forget Peltasts, they’re ridiculous in Zone Mortalis.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Peltasts seem generally broken in 7E because of their stacking shields and whatever. They'll shoot you to gently caress but won't be shot back.

Thallax > ursurax and non-heavy Myrmidons have spindly nerd arms

Incy
May 30, 2006
for other Out
I am just astounded that the vultarax is considered good and not the worst model in an otherwise great range. It is just so boring and characterless, particularly when compared to the other cortex models.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Incy posted:

I am just astounded that the vultarax is considered good and not the worst model in an otherwise great range. It is just so boring and characterless, particularly when compared to the other cortex models.

It's a giant bumblebee, fluttering about awkwardly and bumping into things. If one of those things is a vehicle the bumblebee goes "boop! lol!" and the vehicle disappears. It owns in looks and performance.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Incy posted:

You’re boring and characterless.

You don’t even have an avatar :colbert:

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Speaking of boring and characterless:

I'm trucking on with this Tactical Squad :v:

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Incy posted:

It is kind of a dumb shape but for me at least 50% of its appeal is because it's a retroactively designed pre-corruption version of this;

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

TTerrible posted:

It is kind of a dumb shape but for me at least 50% of its appeal is because it's a retroactively designed pre-corruption version of this;

And FW has said one of their projects for a future book is making a pre-corruption version of the Brass Scorpion.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Good god :jackbud:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Pre-heresy versions of Dark Mechanicum stuff is fun and good, I like the archaeological-feel of it.

Even better if it becomes AdMech "Relic" vehicles in 40k.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Cythereal posted:

And FW has said one of their projects for a future book is making a pre-corruption version of the Brass Scorpion.

that'll be interesting, I guess. There isn't a ton of extra chaos stuff going on in the Brass Scorpion to begin with, so I'm not sure where they can go with it.

Though I liked the idea of Chaos having its own new stuff in 40k coming out of daemon forges instead of it all just being corrupted 30k poo poo. What's the point of fluff talking about how the dark mechanicus are free to do all kinds of forbidden poo poo if you're just going to retcon all their new stuff to be evil versions of old poo poo?

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

TheChirurgeon posted:

There isn't a ton of extra chaos stuff going on in the Brass Scorpion to begin with, so I'm not sure where they can go with it.

Have you seen the model close up? :stonk:

TheChirurgeon posted:

Though I liked the idea of Chaos having its own new stuff in 40k coming out of daemon forges instead of it all just being corrupted 30k poo poo. What's the point of fluff talking about how the dark mechanicus are free to do all kinds of forbidden poo poo if you're just going to retcon all their new stuff to be evil versions of old poo poo?

It's very unlikely the're going to do this for all the dumb gi joe dinosaur poo poo in 40k.

Heldrakes are warp mutated hellblades/helltalons so that's already done.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Endman posted:

Very nice...

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

TheChirurgeon posted:

I always assumed :thejoke:?

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Endman posted:

This got lost in demonbot chat but these are cool. Darker blue is nice to see on UM.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

TheChirurgeon posted:

that'll be interesting, I guess. There isn't a ton of extra chaos stuff going on in the Brass Scorpion to begin with, so I'm not sure where they can go with it.

It's literally full of corpses though!

But yes, I totally get what you're saying.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

TheChirurgeon posted:

We already got some insight into what the 30k Dark Mechanicum will be about. Daemon engines will start making their first appearances, but in a very "prototype" format. At that point the Dark Mechanicum doesn't know what a 'Khorn' or a 'Slaanesh' is, it's just a bunch of oogie boogies to catch and put into a reactor. So expect a lot of weird machines in the vein of the Arlatax: creations from one forge world or another that didn't necesserily catch on for various reasons, on top of early non-corrupted 40k machines.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
One design detail I love with 30k mechanicum are the canister shaped reactors on the back of things. In 40k they show up on daemon engines and the decimator, covered in runes and chains. That particular design must have been lost by the loyalists in 40k..

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

TTerrible posted:

Yeah. It's a very nice model, but aesthetically it's pretty clean, with some extra chainsaws and blades here and there. The Brass trim is appropriately chaos, but isn't exactly out of place on larger admech models, where similar motifs show up on knight armor. I'm not sure how they keep it a scorpion and have it be different enough to justify a whole new sculpt, but they may surprise me

quote:

It's very unlikely the're going to do this for all the dumb gi joe dinosaur poo poo in 40k.

Heldrakes are warp mutated hellblades/helltalons so that's already done.

Given how obviously GW/FW have become a kind of ouroboros with regard to older material and concept art, it's more a matter of time than likelihood

e:

TTerrible posted:

One design detail I love with 30k mechanicum are the canister shaped reactors on the back of things. In 40k they show up on daemon engines and the decimator, covered in runes and chains. That particular design must have been lost by the loyalists in 40k..

Yeah, that's cool as poo poo, especially on the Decimator. Though I think the Defiler might have been the first model to do something like that?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Probably gonna have silly protodefilers and stuff. Maybe babby soulgrinders?

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

JcDent posted:

Probably gonna have silly protodefilers and stuff. Maybe babby soulgrinders?

Scoria's abeyant is basically a proto-defiler.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

TheChirurgeon posted:

Yeah. It's a very nice model, but aesthetically it's pretty clean, with some extra chainsaws and blades here and there. The Brass trim is appropriately chaos, but isn't exactly out of place on larger admech models, where similar motifs show up on knight armor. I'm not sure how they keep it a scorpion and have it be different enough to justify a whole new sculpt, but they may surprise me

There are screaming faces and grasping hands coming out of its pulsating fibre bundle body :stonk:

It's an absolutely amazing model.

TheChirurgeon posted:

Given how obviously GW/FW have become a kind of ouroboros with regard to older material and concept art, it's more a matter of time than likelihood

I think the dino bots ( i really can't remember the name of the unit) are safe as they're daemon by design rather than shoving some spooky in a reactor like Mango said. Hellbrutes too are a new thing in the 40k fluff. I think they're safe. We'll see, I hope FW shoot off into the early dark mechanicum stuff waay before they even think about that.

TheChirurgeon posted:

Yeah, that's cool as poo poo, especially on the Decimator. Though I think the Defiler might have been the first model to do something like that?

I can't remember if there is one on the defiler or not. The first time I noticed it was on the Decimator and then it started popping up on everything in 30k like the Myrmidons.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

TTerrible posted:

There are screaming faces and grasping hands coming out of its pulsating fibre bundle body :stonk:

It's an absolutely amazing model.

I agree, but those don't read/register from a distance, and don't strike me as important enough design-wise that if you made a loyalist version without them you'd notice unless you got in real close. Compared to the blight drones that have big pulsating sacks of whatever hanging off of them with fleshy tails and corroded shells, making it visually obvious that there's a corruption of an older design going on. By contrast, the scorpion's chaos stuff is cool, and the model's very detailed, but if you cleaned it up the same way, the bits would feel like add-ons.

quote:

I think the dino bots ( i really can't remember the name of the unit) are safe as they're daemon by design rather than shoving some spooky in a reactor like Mango said. Hellbrutes too are a new thing in the 40k fluff. I think they're safe. We'll see, I hope FW shoot off into the early dark mechanicum stuff waay before they even think about that.

I can't remember if there is one on the defiler or not. The first time I noticed it was on the Decimator and then it started popping up on everything in 30k like the Myrmidons.

There's a hatch on the back of the defiler that has a daemon face coming out of it, which is where the daemon is sealed into the machine, plus a hatch on the back legs section that has a similar plug where you can put on the chained hatch lid. So yeah, it's definitely got them. I'm just not sure if that was the first one. It was pretty early though, so it wouldn't surprise me if it was,

I hope you're right about the daemon designs, and I hope we see more stuff to differentiate 40k chaos designs from 30k designs. Helbrutes are "safe" because they're already dreadnoughts, and Forgeworld decided to stop making its sweet 40k dreadnoughts like a bunch of stupid assholes. Ah well, at least I got mine while the gettin was good, unlike the Night Lords land raider doors *sigh*

JcDent
May 13, 2013

I thought Hellbrutes are just a retcon on CSM dreads, with GW pretending they were there all along.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

TTerrible posted:

Hellbrutes too are a new thing in the 40k fluff. I think they're safe. We'll see, I hope FW shoot off into the early dark mechanicum stuff waay before they even think about that.

I suspect the Word Bearers' tainted dreadnought is meant to be a nod to that.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

The Maro Lago is a lot different, seeing how it's one of the OG possessed fused with a shattered contemptor.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
Man I have one of those sitting around still waiting to get scrubbed and primed along with a bunch of Gal Vorbak. One day, word bearers, one day

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

TheChirurgeon posted:

I agree, but those don't read/register from a distance, and don't strike me as important enough design-wise that if you made a loyalist version without them you'd notice unless you got in real close. Compared to the blight drones that have big pulsating sacks of whatever hanging off of them with fleshy tails and corroded shells, making it visually obvious that there's a corruption of an older design going on. By contrast, the scorpion's chaos stuff is cool, and the model's very detailed, but if you cleaned it up the same way, the bits would feel like add-ons.

There's a hatch on the back of the defiler that has a daemon face coming out of it, which is where the daemon is sealed into the machine, plus a hatch on the back legs section that has a similar plug where you can put on the chained hatch lid. So yeah, it's definitely got them. I'm just not sure if that was the first one. It was pretty early though, so it wouldn't surprise me if it was,

I hope you're right about the daemon designs, and I hope we see more stuff to differentiate 40k chaos designs from 30k designs. Helbrutes are "safe" because they're already dreadnoughts, and Forgeworld decided to stop making its sweet 40k dreadnoughts like a bunch of stupid assholes. Ah well, at least I got mine while the gettin was good, unlike the Night Lords land raider doors *sigh*

They've just discontinued all the etched brass as well. They're such monumental idiot rear end in a top hat hell fuckers.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

TTerrible posted:

TheChirurgeon posted:

So “no” then

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I finally found the loving sponson targetting sensors, never did find the cables though. :(

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

ijyt posted:

I finally found the loving sponson targetting sensors, never did find the cables though. :(

god drat that's one fine rear end sicaran

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

quote:

Come on down to template city where the dice are all hits and rules aren't lovely

Tweak of a Hencoe quote. New thread title please.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

ijyt posted:

:discourse:

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

TheChirurgeon posted:

Going by the killer bees example, I think we'll see some homage, but at the end of the day the designs do look really different. I agree with you though it will be cool to see distinct dark mech stuff that was developed after the heresy. Probably the dino robots and deflier.

I am super pumped for a 30k brass scorpion. That'll be my capstone to my dark mech army.

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Have a toxic image

Hustlin Floh fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Apr 13, 2018

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
please make the chad have 2 left hands tia

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

please make the chad have 2 left hands tia

drat, you're right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

This is probably a wee bit overkill, but my tacticals should be able to moonlight as vets with most weapons. :)