Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Koalas March
May 21, 2007

axeil posted:

Guitar/bass players: how hard is it to learn the guitar?

I tried to learn how to play on my dad's very old guitar when I was 17 or so and I gave up because I had no clue what I was doing and the fingerings on the frets hurt my fingers because I have baby hands :smith:

It really depends. I've been playing on and off for like 10 years and I'm FINALLY just getting good enough to be intermediate. On the other hand (ha) I picked up piano really fast.

So the reason we have a piano, is my mom apparently was AMAZING at it as a kid, which is why my grandmother invested in our piano. But my mother HATED playing it and quit. Mom had me at 16, so she kept the piano still hoping mom would go back to it but as a toddler I started playing it so she kept it for me and I really learned how to play at about 13.

My dad also played guitar, bass, keyboard and drums, but I never inherited his stuff. because he sold them for drugs

I do have a small guitar kit a neighbor gave me sitting my garage but I haven't picked it up yet.

Koalas March fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Apr 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

crimedog posted:

Am I going insane or is that 500k budget image at least a year old? I swear it was in the previous Trump threads.

the WSJ and others do that sort of thing every so often

the real issue with those images though is they're a diversion. people making 200k+, even in nyc, have it loving made and shouldn't whine. but they're not the real problem with our wealth inequality, it's the people siphoning tens of millions or more per year, and those people want to muddy the waters as much as possible by talking about salaried professionals instead of the "how big should my yacht be" super-rich

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

axeil posted:

Yeah, same here. I got a job running a pool snack bar at 14 and then as a busboy and then as a janitor and you bet your rear end it made me understand the importance of not being a jackass to people in the service industry and the importance of cleaning up after yourself.

Plus they gave me enough money to buy my first car in cash.

The sour-faced rude people who constantly want to "speak to a manager" are almost certainly people who've never had to deal with the bullshit you have to deal with in foodservice/retail.

my first job was a bagger at a grocery store, and later on i worked in a pizza place for 6 years while going through college and it's the exact same reason that i tip 50% everywhere i go, and generally don't throw a fit when i don't get my way at a store.

people just don't realize that the 17 year old kid walking the floor of a store has no control over whether or not your favorite brand of pasta is on the shelf or not

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

SocketWrench posted:

Yes! After those experiences I never ever want to go back into food/retail. gently caress that poo poo forever. I like my job now where I can tell people to gently caress off when they demand I do stuff that I am not supposed to do. Or play games with them because they were dicks. "Oh, I'm sorry, you bitched to the supervisor I wasn't as quick as day shift bringing you coils of steel because I have to clean up the steel area day shift left torn apart first. Well gently caress you, I dropped your coil at the end of the press aisle just like first shift does because you want me to be more like them. Eat poo poo."

Yeah, it's amazing how some people will treat foodservice/retail employees like they aren't even human. The important thing I learned in those jobs is to just treat people with respect and you'll get respect back. If someone screws up your order, they made a simple mistake and it's easily fixable. No reason to have a meltdown over it and if you're cool about it they might even comp something without you asking or give you an extra-strong drink or whatever.

I get embarrassed when I go out to eat with my dad because he'll act like the waitstaff are servants that have to respond to his orders instead of tired, stressed people doing a job they probably don't like all that much.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

scopes posted:

Re: Savannah GA - I love this town but the longer I live here the less I'd recommend anyone moving here unless they got some hot poo poo job offer.

I hosed off to the PNW, which is sooo much better. Real civic amenities, no more open carry idiots at the playgrounds, and more hiking than I can shake a stick at.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

The one downside of playing piano is how unportable the instrument is. I have a keyboard but it's not the same :smith:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

axeil posted:

I tried to learn how to play on my dad's very old guitar when I was 17 or so and I gave up because I had no clue what I was doing and the fingerings on the frets hurt my fingers because I have baby hands :smith:

Just keep playing and strumming. Tons of youtube videos out these days so you don't even need to pay someone to teach you (altho it helps). Your fingers will eventually harden up but you can also go pick up a nylon string acoustic to start learning (that's what I did).

Start copying easy songs but also learn the basic note patterns and scales. Slow and steady wins the race - 30 minutes a day is all it takes!

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
So we have child chat and guitar chat. If we throw in some Magic chat we'll have the three dumb money sinks that I'll be spending my 30s balancing.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

evilweasel posted:

there's definitely some people who can't stand office jobs and would prefer to be outside lifting heavy things

those people are crazy people, of course, but they do exist :v:

I'd go back to working in the tankyard in a heartbeat. Outside work 365. I loved that job. Especially after we kicked the supervisor we had because she violated too many union rules

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Flip Yr Wig posted:

So we have child chat and guitar chat. If we throw in some Magic chat we'll have the three dumb money sinks that I'll be spending my 30s balancing.

It's a little weird since things like Pompeo's confirmation hearing are actually happening right now.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Brony Car posted:

Do they still sell new Korean Epiphones? I remember hearing that they were very good. It's definitely preferable to paying insane prices in order to enjoy Gibson's lack of quality control.

Or you could shop for Japanese clones... https://guitargai.com/html_folder/gai_homepage.html

I don't know about these days, but Japan did make some great guitars. I've got a late 60's Ventura I got from a neighbor some 20 years ago that appears to be a D-28 knockoff and I swear it sounds better than a buddy's actual Martin.

Uncleanly Cleric
Oct 17, 2005

Koalas March posted:

It's the best and coolest instrument I own. It's straight up unfinised wood.

That is pretty as hell.

Here’s my Gibson, I ended up replacing the pickups with a Seymour PAF and Super Distortion, and swapping in a new wiring harness.

(Also 93 is vintage now and that makes this old man hurt)

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

thegalagakid posted:

i did wonder about that. I was debating doing a rental for his band needs and buying a proper one for himself at a later point once im sure he is all in on it. Thanks for all this info btw

Rental can be a good choice if you think there's a really high chance he jumps ship but if I remember correctly you end up losing money on rentals after a year I think. When I got my sax my parents made me promise that I would play at least until middle school (so 4th + 5th grade with the option to stop in 6th) otherwise they weren't going to get me one.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

axeil posted:

You build up callouses on your fingers suprisingly quickly, i lost all mine and just started playing again recently and they are already coming back,

There are loads of super useful tutorials and sites like ultimate-guitar which have pretty much every Tab under the sun for you to learn.

God drat i love explorers, wish i had bought one instead of the Rhodes Flying V i got years ago.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Office Pig posted:

It's a little weird since things like Pompeo's confirmation hearing are actually happening right now.

pompeo is a little curious because he's both a horribly unqualified secretary of state with poor judgment who is a tremendous bigot, but there is a viable argument that he is less of all those things than trump so he might be an improvement. alternatively, we should just realize ultimately trump is going to do what he wants to do and that the best thing to do is to continue to oppose incompetent bigots with poor judgment even if they'd be a slight improvement.

its not great that's the calculus that we need here

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Koyaanisgoatse posted:

The one downside of playing piano is how unportable the instrument is. I have a keyboard but it's not the same :smith:

My piano is out of tune again and I STILL prefer it to my yamaha. Mostly because yamaha doesn't have weighted keys ugh but the sound is so much richer and nice. The only downside is that I can only practice when everyone is awake and my grandmother is out gardening or running errands so I don't interrupt her TV Time... :ohdear: whereas with the keyboard I can just plug my headphones into it AND it fits in my room lol.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Edit is not quote

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Uncleanly Cleric posted:

That is pretty as hell.

Here’s my Gibson, I ended up replacing the pickups with a Seymour PAF and Super Distortion, and swapping in a new wiring harness.

(Also 93 is vintage now and that makes this old man hurt)

That's DOPE.

I got my amp from a pawn shop and I just tried to google it and I still can't find out what year it's from lol.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I'd love to work outside doing some kind of "build it" thing but unless you work for yourself you tend to give up a lot of freedom to many office jobs have to offer. I know not everyone has freedom in their office, but I can decide to dick off for a couple hour lunch, come in an hour late, or leave early to go on a bike ride.

If you're part of a labor crew, good loving luck having that kind of autonomy.

Also, you know, I like my income and health.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Flip Yr Wig posted:

Amonkhet has the best, most blackest dope art ever. I seriously want a book of just the art.

FIGHT ME

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Phlag posted:

Surprising no one, a recently uncovered shady real estate transaction where Trump (with the help of Cohen) purchased a mansion worth $10M for $0 from a financial scam artist.
https://twitter.com/reveal/status/984438626770563073

The article takes a while to get to the point: Trump just wanted to avoid paying property tax transfer fees when he bought the place to begin with and convinced everyone involved to lie on the paperwork. Scummy, illegal, but not a grand conspiracy.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Koalas March posted:

So the reason we have a piano, is my mom apparently was AMAZING at it as a kid, which is why my grandmother invested in our piano. But my mother HATED playing it and quit. Mom had me at 16, so she kept the piano still hoping mom would go back to it but as a toddler I started playing it so she kept it for me and I really learned how to play at about 13.

My mom tried to teach me and my sister how to play the piano she had but I think we just didn't like it very much. As an adult though I think learning the piano is a really, really good musical skill to have because it teaches you how to read music and it can easily translate to other instruments.

I wish we had better musical education for kids. I remember in elementary school we would go to the music room and bang on triangles or drums or whatever and sing. Now my girlfriend teaches elementary school and they have 0 musical education whatsoever. :smith:

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Phlag posted:

Surprising no one, a recently uncovered shady real estate transaction where Trump (with the help of Cohen) purchased a mansion worth $10M for $0 from a financial scam artist.
https://twitter.com/reveal/status/984438626770563073

I thought this was technically not even legal because you can’t have a contract that you trade nothing for something. Which is why you buy debt ridden and bankrupt companies for $1 instead of $0, right?

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

axeil posted:

Yeah, it's amazing how some people will treat foodservice/retail employees like they aren't even human. The important thing I learned in those jobs is to just treat people with respect and you'll get respect back. If someone screws up your order, they made a simple mistake and it's easily fixable. No reason to have a meltdown over it and if you're cool about it they might even comp something without you asking or give you an extra-strong drink or whatever.

I get embarrassed when I go out to eat with my dad because he'll act like the waitstaff are servants that have to respond to his orders instead of tired, stressed people doing a job they probably don't like all that much.

I had one I think did it on purpose. I had to disassemble and clean the shake/ice cream machine at McD's every two weeks. I'd do it on Monday mornings because that was the slowest time for it and gave me all morning to get it done. It never failed this woman would come in and have an absolute meltdown and start shrieking about my incompetence and how I did it just to upset her because the machine would be pulled apart and she couldn't get her shake on (I even told her multiple times it was a two week thing). Fortunately the managers were always quick to run intercept or i'd likely have taken one of the beaters to her skull. I could handle a lot of stuff, but being called stupid is something I just never tolerated well.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Koalas March posted:

My piano is out of tune again and I STILL prefer it to my yamaha. Mostly because yamaha doesn't have weighted keys ugh but the sound is so much richer and nice. The only downside is that I can only practice when everyone is awake and my grandmother is out gardening or running errands so I don't interrupt her TV Time... :ohdear: whereas with the keyboard I can just plug my headphones into it AND it fits in my room lol.

the weighted keys make such a huge difference, unfortunately keyboards with weighted keys cost a fortune. as soon as i live somewhere that's not a one bedroom apartment that i'll only live in for a few years max, i'll hopefully get to have my parents' piano that belonged to my great grandmother

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

axeil posted:

Last night I interviewed the rhythm guitarist from a deathcore band that released probably the best album in it's genre last month and we asked how long he's been playing guitar and his answer was 4 years. Blew my mind

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I want to learn the accordion but they’re expensive and finding someone to teach the basics to you is nearly impossible :sigh:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Lote posted:

I thought this was technically not even legal because you can’t have a contract that you trade nothing for something. Which is why you buy debt ridden and bankrupt companies for $1 instead of $0, right?

you can transfer property for free, it's just a gift and not a contract. but i can sign my house over to you for nothing and it's valid: it's just if i agree to give you my house then back out later, you don't get my house, but if i agree to sell it to you for $1 and then try to back out later you can sue for breach of contract

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

evilweasel posted:

pompeo is a little curious because he's both a horribly unqualified secretary of state with poor judgment who is a tremendous bigot, but there is a viable argument that he is less of all those things than trump so he might be an improvement. alternatively, we should just realize ultimately trump is going to do what he wants to do and that the best thing to do is to continue to oppose incompetent bigots with poor judgment even if they'd be a slight improvement.

its not great that's the calculus that we need here

The incredible amount of belligerence he's put on display with respect to Russia during this hearing and over the past few days, contextualized with the somewhat sensitive situation still sort of under way in Syria kind of leads me to believe he needs to be shot down if for no other reason than to slightly reduce the chance of WWIII.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Rotten Red Rod posted:

The article takes a while to get to the point: Trump just wanted to avoid paying property tax transfer fees when he bought the place to begin with and convinced everyone involved to lie on the paperwork. Scummy, illegal, but not a grand conspiracy.

Since this basically amounts to tax fraud, couldn't it fit the actual, legal definition of conspiracy, though? :v:

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

axeil posted:

From what I remember from 15 years ago or so.

-Store your reeds in a breathable container. I had these little plastic shells with holes in them that were double sided. Would keep the reeds from growing mold on them after I played :gonk:

-Clean the sax with a special saxophone duster-type thing after you're done playing it. Takes only a few seconds but keeps spit from gunking up the keys

-Should never need to worry about polish or anything like that so long as you're getting a saxophone that's targeted at younger/newer saxophonists.

-It looks really complicated to play but there's only about 10 or so keys that you need to press: 3 circle keys on top, 3 circle keys on bottom, an octave key and a flat/sharp key. Also the same key presses will work on a saxophone as on a clarinet so by learning one you learn the other. C for example is the top 3 and bottom 3 circle keys held down for both clarinet and saxophone if I remember my key presses correctly.

edit: Again I would stress getting a used instrument. It will play just as well as the newer ones and if he really takes to it you can get him a fancier one as he gets older. If he ends up not liking it, you will not be out nearly as much money as with a new or fancy instrument. I remember a lot of kids got very shiny and fancy saxophones, clarinets, etc. and then stopped playing after a year.

Played alto and soprano sax for 10 years--until sophomore year in college. This guy gets it. Don't buy a new instrument until your kid shows he's committed.

Also, I'd stress the need for a GOOD neckstrap. Don't skimp. That thing weighs heavy after you've been carrying it for a while and it will loving chafe like a bastard. Get one with foam rubber.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Inspector Hound posted:

It will seem impossibly weird at first. Practice scales until you can hear them in your head, then work on chords. There's also a billion guitar tab websites that, while they won't "teach you guitar" or help you learn to read music, will get you more comfortable moving your fingers around.

I actually disagree, I think learning chords first is the way to go, at least E, A, G, D, C. With those you can play pretty much any song in a recognizable fashion(albeit with transposing sometimes), after a couple weeks, which makes it fun whereas just focusing on scales is work. Obviously add in the scales soon after but strumming open chords is a lot easier to pick up.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Koalas March posted:

Amonkhet has the best, most blackest dope art ever. I seriously want a book of just the art.

FIGHT ME

I agree and I hadn't even considered that it was black art until now, which is pretty cool. Also, such a book exists.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

crimedog posted:

Am I going insane or is that 500k budget image at least a year old? I swear it was in the previous Trump threads.

You are not going insane. It's been posted before but like the HENRY gif it's a classic and worth seeing again.

Music chat: my jam is modular synths (burning money I know but w/e) and make quiet ambient stuff as a reaction to our toilet earth. But I can't play piano well and don't know guitar for poo poo and have respect++ for KM and others who do <3

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
I played the viola for 11 years, I was insanely lucky to be in a school district with active music programs (PNW kicks rear end) and there were music stores all over the place where you could rent them rather cheaply if you wanted to.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo
Music chat: I grew up in a hosed up household that never noticed my fanatical love of music or my talent at tapping out drum cadences with my hands and etc. I wish I'd learned the drums in childhood but at least I play them now. I just sometimes picture how much better I'd be if I'd been recognized and taught at a young age. But music is awesome.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Nazzadan posted:

Last night I interviewed the rhythm guitarist from a deathcore band that released probably the best album in it's genre last month and we asked how long he's been playing guitar and his answer was 4 years. Blew my mind

I've always wondered what happened in the past 10 years or so that ended up having kids get so good on instruments so fast now. Especially in the metal genre, you see kids that are 14-15 playing insane tempos with perfect timing on drums, while a 16 year old shreds an insane solo on the guitar. Decapitated released their first full-length album their drummer was 15 years old.

Then you have kids like this doing a 4 minute synchronized solo for their high school talent show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ir1qieBBljc

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Pakled posted:

Since this basically amounts to tax fraud, couldn't it fit the actual, legal definition of conspiracy, though? :v:

Well, yeah, I just mean it's a lot more simple than the article makes it out to be. Trump want to avoid paying tax, convinced a small time crook (and a bunch of real estate lawyers) to go along with it, end of story.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Koalas March posted:

FIGHT ME

the art in that card game IS pretty sweet

...i just can't justify spending money on that kind of stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Koalas March posted:

FIGHT ME

https://www.amazon.com/Art-Magic-Gathering-Amonkhet/dp/1421595117

• Locked thread