Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lieutenant Hoffman
Mar 4, 2009

hell yeah!!!

TheChirurgeon posted:

Randomly picking between 2, 3, or 4 permanents isn't exactly difficult to resolve, and does not a chaos deck make

These are the kind of people who try to avoid going aggro at one player early on (unless given a reason) and will do poo poo like roll a die to determine who to attack. They'll play this because they can take something for each opponent and then let the dice determine what gets destroyed

Yeah I guess I just have a terrible memory of that red enchantment that sticks everything on the stack forever...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

this card was awful to play against lol

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Tainen posted:

Chamion of the Flame can swing for 10 with trample on turn 3

this looks like it'd be a fun janky modern card but in reality it's just too easily removed

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

Tainen posted:

Chamion of the Flame can swing for 10 with trample on turn 3

So what is the likelihood of an auras deck still being good in Standard? It seems like a lot of good stuff has dropped in DOM for that archetype, but Red is getting a lot more love than Blue is. Would it be bad for the current auras deck to turn into Jeskai instead of UW, or would it make more sense to go straight WR auras?

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I've seen games where a resolved Thieves Auction made 3 people concede. It's played by the same type of person

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

InterrupterJones posted:

So what is the likelihood of an auras deck still being good in Standard? It seems like a lot of good stuff has dropped in DOM for that archetype, but Red is getting a lot more love than Blue is. Would it be bad for the current auras deck to turn into Jeskai instead of UW, or would it make more sense to go straight WR auras?

Playing 3 colors is slow as gently caress because everything comes into play tapped all of the time. You can play the typed-duals, but those come into play tapped, and when you don't have them on turn one, every dual in your deck comes into play tapped.

The worst formats are the ones where everything comes into play tapped all of the loving time because lands coming into play tapped is loving lame unless the land has some kind of relevant upside on the battlefield like it scrys when it enters or later on it's going to hit your opponent.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Apr 12, 2018

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

InterrupterJones posted:

Dominaria has three red cards that care about equipment or auras: That dude above, Tiana and Valduk. Plus some orc that eats artifacts.

They're both cute, but would you really ditch blue for either of them?

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

I'm interested to see someone try to make this work with Umezawa to make them unblockable.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

InterrupterJones posted:

Zero? There's only a handful of guys in standard that care about auras or equips, no auras or equipment that demand immediate answers or mess up your opponents gamelan significantly, and none of the above are that hard to remove or disrupt.

Maybe we'll get some stuff the changes that in the next set but it looks like a very long shot for now.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

Zero? There's only a handful of guys in standard that care about auras or equips, no auras or equipment that demand immediate answers or mess up your opponents gamelan significantly, and none of the above are that hard to remove or disrupt.

Maybe we'll get some stuff the changes that in the next set but it looks like a very long shot for now.

There's already a relatively decent u/w aura deck though?

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
I won Store Championship running WU Auras. The deck is super fun to play.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Gustav posted:

Not giving the die roll winner the option is brilliant and something I wish they would implement in paper too. I'm way too tired of people asking me if I want to go first every time I win a die roll. In standard. With my red aggro deck.

Yes I too get really infuriated when I'm forced to say "I'll play".

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

Playing 3 colors is slow as gently caress because everything comes into play tapped all of the time. You can play the typed-duals, but those come into play tapped, and when you don't have them on turn one, every dual in your deck comes into play tapped.

The worst formats are the ones where everything comes into play tapped all of the loving time because lands coming into play tapped is loving lame unless the land has some kind of relevant upside on the battlefield like it scrys when it enters or later on it's going to hit your opponent.

Siivola posted:

Dominaria has three red cards that care about equipment or auras: That dude above, Tiana and Valduk. Plus some orc that eats artifacts.

They're both cute, but would you really ditch blue for either of them?

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

I guess it is just a pipe dream. There are no real cool red auras in Dom, but there's the Cartouche and and Consuming Fervor among others already in Standard that are cheap and seem ok. It isn't worth dropping blue, and unless mana fixing gets better Jeskai wouldn't be viable either.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
with typed duals and checklands you can probably hit WUr pretty well.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

InterrupterJones posted:

and unless mana fixing gets better Jeskai wouldn't be viable either.

don't we have two playsets of on-color fastlands?

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
People really don't like Haphazard Bombardment? Seems like decent card advantage. Works better in multiples, too!

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Danitha Capashen cares about auras also. Putting the hexproof aura on it would be pretty hard to get rid of.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

People really don't like Haphazard Bombardment? Seems like decent card advantage. Works better in multiples, too!
Stuff happening at random is annoying from a gameplay perspective and also annoying to manage. That type of card is beloved by annoying players who like doing annoying things to annoy everyone.

There's a reason there aren't that many randomized effects and why randomized effects are generally overcosted despite their randomness.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

with typed duals and checklands you can probably hit WUr pretty well.

You can HIT 3 colors just fine. You just need to run a ton of lands and expect them to come into play tapped, e.g. lose horribly to aggro all of the time and also play slow enough you're not getting under either control or midrange. That type of land design is intentional - you aren't supposed to be able to play anything low to the ground while hitting three colors untapped. Mardu Vehicles can do it because black is just a splash color, a ton of its cards are colorless, and it can play Spire of Industry as a full rainbow land.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Apr 12, 2018

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

The problem is that the Auras deck needs to be super low to the ground or it gets one-for-multipled all day. That limits it to two colors. It's probably not playable without Curious Obsession and Sram to smooth things out and keep it fueled, so red is likely not an option for now.
-------

I think this could see play in ramp. Both ramping to Hour of Promise mana and then ramping for two seems strong and like it could make some 7-10 cost stuff a lot more consistent.

This and Baral create enough instant/sorcery ramp it be worth thinking about? Or maybe the power just isn't there.

Probably not better than Magma Spray but worth keeping in mind.

Tom Clancy is Dead fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Apr 12, 2018

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

Probably not better than Magma Spray but worth keeping in mind.

Couldn't even be assed to pretend they weren't just making strictly worse burst lightning

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Tainen posted:

Seems like it could be good

This seems better than Glimmer of Genius.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

mcmagic posted:

I agree, Esper Approach is looking better every card I look at.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

mcmagic posted:

In what world? You dig less cards and you lose life instead of gaining energy. The little bit of information and extra card in GY is not worth that.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

In what world? You dig less cards and you lose life instead of gaining energy. The little bit of information and extra card in GY is not worth that.

This is also a comparable effect in black instead of the primary colour for it, and that card in your grave could be essentially having an extra card in hand later in the game.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

You're getting to look at the top 3 instead of the top 2 and the card in the GY is very relevant in this standard with Gearhulk and Scarab God.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Plus the energy gain is totally irrelevant in most of the decks currently running glimmer

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

I just saw a spicy Modern brew on a stream that played some number of the following:

Doran, the Siege Tower
Treefolk Harbinger
Nyx Fleece Ram
Tidehull Sculler
Siege Rhino
Birds of Paradise
Lightning Bolt
Mardu Ascendancy (!!!)

I forget the sequence of plays to get there, but it pooped out 22 damage on turn 4. It looked really dependent on Doran, and seemed weak to Blood Moon, but that's the kind of spiciness that I do like.

Speaking of spicy, Chirurgeon, what changes did you make to the Abyssal Persecutor deck? I'd love to (badly) theory craft with you.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

TheKingofSprings posted:

This is also a comparable effect in black instead of the primary colour for it, and that card in your grave could be essentially having an extra card in hand later in the game.

Sure, it's great for decks that don't play blue.

mcmagic posted:

You're getting to look at the top 3 instead of the top 2 and the card in the GY is very relevant in this standard with Gearhulk and Scarab God.

You get to look at the top 3 instead of the top 4, and a card in the GY is a minor benefit especially when one of the best cards to use with Gearhulk would be the Glimmer. UB midrange needs the energy for Siphoner. UB control doesn't want to pay the life, will already have Gearhulk targets, and is unlikely to hit a Scarab God target. Everything else that could play both needs energy for Aether Hub.

Tom Clancy is Dead fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Apr 12, 2018

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Haven't people mostly cut Glimmer for Illumination anyway?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Sure, it's great for decks that don't play blue.

You get to look at the top 3 instead of the top 4, and a card in the GY is a minor benefit especially when one of the best cards to use with Gearhulk would be the Glimmer. UB midrange needs the energy for Siphoner. UB control doesn't want to pay the life, will already have Gearhulk targets, and is unlikely to hit a Scarab God target. Everything else that could play both needs energy for Aether Hub.

You get more information with this new card to make a decision. Technically you can "see" more cards with glimmer but only after choosing not to draw the first 2 (which might not benefit you). Personally the new black card is more powerful if energy is not beneficial.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Shadow225 posted:

Doran, the Siege Tower
Treefolk Harbinger
Nyx Fleece Ram
Tidehull Sculler
Siege Rhino
Birds of Paradise
Lightning Bolt
Mardu Ascendancy (!!!)

:eyepop:

I need this in my life. It sounds horrible, and I love it. Is the stream saved anywhere, or is there a decklist?

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Glimmer digs 2-4 cards (there are several times you scry and keep both cards) and gains you energy
Bargain always digs 3, puts the unselected card in the GY instead of bottoming it, but loses you life

Glimmer has a higher ceiling but is less consistent while Bargain is consistent but the life loss is an issue in a meta full of hazorets and glorybringers

I'd say any deck running energy cards will want Glimmer but Bargain is probably the better card for everyone else provided they have enough ways to fight off the aggro decks in the meta

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

InterrupterJones posted:

I need this in my life. It sounds horrible, and I love it. Is the stream saved anywhere, or is there a decklist?

I was at a F2F open and I watched a dude get T4'd by AssButts. (that's my name for the deck)

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

AnEdgelord posted:

Glimmer digs 2-4 cards (there are several times you scry and keep both cards) and gains you energy
Bargain always digs 3, puts the unselected card in the GY instead of bottoming it, but loses you life

Glimmer has a higher ceiling but is less consistent while Bargain is consistent but the life loss is an issue in a meta full of hazorets and glorybringers

I'd say any deck running energy cards will want Glimmer but Bargain is probably the better card for everyone else provided they have enough ways to fight off the aggro decks in the meta

My point is there is literally one deck that can run both and doesn't care about the energy, and it cares about the life a lot.

Also I think people are wildly overestimating the benefit of choosing 2 of 3 when compared with potentially digging the extra card to the card that you need in a given situation. It's Sleight of Hand vs. Preordain, though the cards seen/mana efficiency is way lower so the effect size is less.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Look at those clever boys

https://twitter.com/charlequin/status/984490742868398080

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008
here's hoping that instead of the obvious 2 Return 2 Theros after rotation they double down on dinos and destroy people's assholes with a muraganda set

edit: dat errata http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=130634

atrus50 fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Apr 12, 2018

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
So a deck that I've been thinking about after seeing the spoilers is Mardu Vehicles, not many people are mentioning it but there are some extremely interesting cards for the deck coming out in the set

One of the few decks in standard that is interested in all three of Karn's abilities. Everything Patrick Sullivan said is relevant here in addition to making tokens that activate Toolcraft Exemplars and get bigger the more of your artifacts you have in play.

A significant number of the deck's crucial cards are historic (Chandra, Hazoret, Heart of Kiran) so both of these cards are capable of digging for them. Even if the Weatherlight itself doesn't make the cut I'm fairly certain vehicles decks will be running one or two Board the Weatherlights in the future thanks to its ability to get one of the their bombs.

Of course I could be wrong about this but I would love to see some testing with these cards just to see if it works as well as I hope.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Care to explain, don't have the mental capacity to decipher atm

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

You get to see three cards before you choose what you want, and there are both spells and creatures that work out of the graveyard, and a creature that wants to cast spells out of the graveyard for free.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

InterrupterJones posted:

Not sure about either, but the guy playing it was a round 1 opponent for one of HolyShamgar's leagues. I'm not sure he has a youtube presence or even archived streams.

His chat brought up the fact that Tower Defense would be potentially bonkers in the deck, but we did not see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Rinkles posted:

Care to explain, don't have the mental capacity to decipher atm

The flavor text/card names have every set's name somewhere in them.