Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
its a digitally authentic experience imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

anthonypants posted:

if they can make an .exe that updates their program from 17.x to 17.current, why does that mean they can't throw that .exe into windows update

Just to piss you off more, it actually is in wsus.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
lol 17.4 is in the microsoft update catalog as of the end of february, but 17.4 was released last year and 17.6 was released last month

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

NEED MORE MILK posted:

you can’t even update sql server management studio. it just pops up a notice saying there’s and update and if you click it you’re just sent to a download page on Microsoft’s website
that was the visual studio experience before 2017

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."
lol enjoy your new Chrome OS UWP developers

Microsoft is winding down development of Windows 10’s built in apps

quote:

Microsoft is reportedly winding down development on its built-in Windows 10 apps like MSN Weather, News, Calculator, among others according to a report from Thurrott’s Brad Sams.

The firm is now offering employees who work on these apps the chance to join the Edge team and work on that instead.

Microsoft has been working on improving Edge heavily, and Windows 10’s Spring Update features a number of updates to the browser.

While the firm’s built-in apps were indeed useful, many features like News, Weather etc are already duplicated by the homepage of Edge, and others like Mail and Calendar already have excellent web ap replacements in Microsoft’s Office Web app suite.

We’ll see the full effects of this change play out over the next year, but its clear that Microsoft is already moving to the web as its next platform of choice.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
someone finally realized that the 1st party UWP apps are completely loving useless

also lol@MSN 2.0 edge web portal

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

Tech bloggers make stupid predictions after Microsoft re-orgs.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

infernal machines posted:

someone finally realized that the 1st party UWP apps are completely loving useless

also lol@MSN 2.0 edge web portal

imo mail and calendar are really good for what they are. hell of a lot better than macOS mail, which can't handle my inboxes without choking.

i'm pretty sure news already was a web app, in that it was built with some form of Win.JS before that was deprecated.

my prediction is that we are actually replace them with machine-learning algorithms to generate more cortana popups and (tenuous) links to azure, somehow.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I use the mail and calendar apps cause their real good. I also use the news and weather apps for alerts. web apps suck rear end so it would be sad to see them go.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
maybe we'll devise a way to have... active web content... on the desktop...

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

original idea do not steal

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

everything microsoft has developed after windows xp will be deprecated after a few years. anything developed before that is still supported

it's a loving natural law at this point

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

quote:

The firm is now offering employees who work on these apps the chance to join the Edge team and work on that instead.

because calculator needs to be a web app

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

Because Edge needs testers. (Badly).

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

The_Franz posted:

because calculator needs to be a web app

thats a pro tip, you just make a web app that sends your calculator queries to google search

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

doesn't ring a bell

there we go

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Fiedler posted:

Because Edge needs testers. (Badly).

You have been transferred to the Dog Food Eating Department

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

You have been transferred to the Dog Food Eating Department

that's every FTE who uses Edge.

i've been emailed from the Edge team asking for help debugging a crash they saw on my work computer that they couldn't reproduce and wanted to do live debugging on it to figure it out.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

hobbesmaster posted:

doesn't ring a bell

there we go

worst part of windows 98

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
an update to windows broke some drawing tools https://twitter.com/MandyJacek/status/984111241802256384

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
it still blows my mind that people willingly upgraded to windows 10 despite knowing full well it was ad-driven and bug-riddled free software

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

pram posted:

worst part of windows 98

I never saw that error once in windows 98

I saw it every fifteen minutes in winME

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Stymie posted:

it still blows my mind that people willingly upgraded to windows 10 despite knowing full well it was ad-driven and bug-riddled free software

tbf a lot of people unwillingly upgraded to windows 10 thanks to microsoft pushing the updater as a critical windows update

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
some packages like KB3191566 (powershell 5.1 on windows 7/server 2008r2) stopped working because a certificate expired

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Stymie posted:

I mean, look at the phones we now carry, and the apps we put on them

Nobody actually cares

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

people upgraded to Windows 10 because they knew that Microsoft would abandon 7 as soon as possible

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

“people” don’t care about that right away. it was mostly coercive updates or those that would happen by themselves

pram
Jun 10, 2001
all windows versions are bad hth

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

pram posted:

all windows versions are bad hth
perhaps the same could be said about all operating systems, that they are "pieces of poo poo"

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Yeah but MS is a type 7 pos, where macOS / iOS is 3 or 4. an Apple a day and all that

pram
Jun 10, 2001
i love windows* :buddy: windows* ftw!!!

*specifically only my pirated, eol, unpatched copy of windows 7

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
a server at work appears to have -22 days of uptime

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
this was also a very intentional decision by the company due to "customer feedback" apparently. would love to know whose since they ruined the workday of just about everyone i know

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Phoenixan posted:

this was also a very intentional decision by the company due to "customer feedback" apparently. would love to know whose since they ruined the workday of just about everyone i know
i have to assume this means the surface pen was broken in some way

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
i should note that this even broke the surface pen's drawing functionality in favor of turning the pen into an 11th finger for scrolling on webpages in edge

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Stymie posted:

it still blows my mind that people willingly upgraded to windows despite knowing full well it was ad-driven and bug-riddled free software
ftfy

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
pretty sure its just video games

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

i clicked virgin net and it just turned on my webcam ? :confused:

Pierre Chaton
Sep 1, 2006

pseudorandom name posted:

people upgraded to Windows 10 because they knew that Microsoft would abandon 7 as soon as possible

if there was an SP2 for 7 i'd probably still be using it on at least some machines.

before the convenience rollup it was getting to be 50/50 whether windows update would poo poo itself after a new SP1 install.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

i clicked virgin net and it just turned on my webcam ? :confused: