Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

A house with two kids and a GF that primarily use netflix and plex and you'll hit a 1TB cap very easily.

Data caps are an artificial limit solely for moneymaking, and bullshit. If you have a few "whales" that drag the infrastructure down, then traffic shaping is a better deterrent, or just plain upgrading your infrastructure so you can actually deliver on the promise you're selling. To do otherwise is peak late stage capitalism.

Hell, just the wife and I with netflex and plex run close to 1TB a month. Some month's I'll chew through 3-4 if I'm doing "Work" from home.
4k netflix is beautiful...I should see what I'm using with that, haven't checked my usage in months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

My 859kg panda has an 800kg tow rating. loving lol.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Not surprised at all with that. A neighbor of ours whos child was kind of friends with my son never did anything wrong, even tho I myself witnessed him blast another much younger kid in the face with a soccer ball point blank and told his idiot mother, she refused to believe it happened because the kid denied it. Ok, you want to play that game? From them on, any time the kid sneezed in the wrong direction I sent him home and he eventually just stopped coming around. Buh-bye!

Really tho man, you have to expect poo poo like that to happen and just be prepared to deal with it because it's not good to be a helicopter parent, you just have to hope they learn from it.

Yeah, it's frustrating, but it's passing. I don't think I helicopter, hell, she broke her arm a couple weeks ago doing gymnastics in a friend's basement and that barely raised my pulse... kids are going to be kids. But the internet now is not something kids (sub-teens) should have unregulated access to. Too much stuff out there that can impact development.

LloydDobler posted:

Oh wow, you didn't mention that they were denying it. That'd piss me off too. At least if everyone's on the same level you can all talk about what is ok and what isn't, and make sure it doesn't happen again.

It ended up okay, but the initial denial of responsibility was tough to take.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

cakesmith handyman posted:

Aren't a surprisingly large amount of cars rated for their own weight as long as your trailer has brakes?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Huh, I don't even know what my cap is if I have one. But I rarely use the internet for much besides web surfing, Netflix once in a while and some PS3 online games that's about it. But I have cable, I suppose if i cut the cord I'd hit the cap pretty quick.

I work first shift. I come up watch an episode or two of something on Plex or Netflix then stream YouTube documentaries while cleaning or whatever.
Fiance works second shift. She does the same routine as me for the most part.
Kid doesn't sleep as far as I can tell and well, he's a kid with a YouTube account.

I have to be extremely careful on when I download a new game so I wait to the end of my billing cycle to see how much I have left over.
Despite having 4k hardware throughout my house I stream my netflix and plex at 720 because I can't afford the overages.
My cable bill is 83/mon for 60/10. Cox wants another 50/mon to have unlimited. It doesn't get me better service, its literal robbery under the guise of "well maybe you should just pay it so you dont have to worry about it".
I have no other choices for ISP at my address.

gently caress this stupid country in its inability to regulate internet access into a utility.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Ferremit posted:

Even In my late 20’s Event Horizon would give me hosed up dreams and poo poo sleep for about a week. Something bout that movie creeps the gently caress out of me

I saw that on my 13th birthday in Chicago. Came out of the theater to one of those midwest gullywashers that was bad enough the Borders on Michigan Ave had water pouring in the doors and eventually caused a blackout in parts of the city. That was... not a fun evening.

Worse, though, was watching Rattlers when I was 7 or 8. That left me with a phobia about snakes bad enough that I had a panic attack years later when I saw Snakes on a Plane. Apparently my fight/flight/freeze response is, indeed, freeze. Couldn't even stand up from my seat to leave the theater.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

The Door Frame posted:

Aren't a surprisingly large amount of cars rated for their own weight as long as your trailer has brakes?

Often higher if adequately powered. I'd need a braked trailer to tow the full 800, 750kg otherwise.

Uktow.com is a reliable resource over here, if your American car a UK equivalent.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I have no other choices for ISP at my address.

gently caress this stupid country in its inability to regulate internet access into a utility.

In the Phoenix area I have two choices. Cox, which has the stated issues but delivers great speed (I'm on the 100mb plan currently) and low latency, or whateverthefuck the phone company here is currently called, CenturyLink still? Which is DSL service where they promise me 40mb, then after it's hooked up deliver 2.5mb and say "sorry, that's the best the lines can support at your location", but it still costs the same.

So yea, Cox basically has no competition in the Phoenix Metro area so they can just do whatever they loving want to and there isn't poo poo you can really do about it except maybe go to a satellite streaming service if you don't game or do anything else that requires low latency.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
And here I just figured I was in the minority of only having one choice for ISP.

Spectrum is the only game in town for my neighborhood, at least they don't have data caps yet, and my service speed has gone up and the price down since they took over TWC -used to pay $80/month for 40 down/5 up, now its $65/month for 100 down/10 up. Seems to be far fewer service disruptions too.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Seminal Flu posted:

gently caress the steaming pile of cancer that is YouTube targeted to kids.

I've got a traumatized 8 year old, because my dumbfuck brother-in-law and his wife don't pay any attention to what their kids watch.

We were at a family gathering on Saturday and my 8 year old girl ran off to play with their 10 year old girl. Just like they always do. Except, after that, she's been inconsolable with her crying about this scary video the 10 year old showed her.

What did she describe? The exact scene of 4:30-ish here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tjd8no-9Eo

Holy gently caress. That whole douche bag's channel is a steaming pile of cancer. And that video should NEVER be seen by anyone, much less a 10 year old.

I've got my kids on a pretty solid supervisory system. They know I watch what they watch and I search their history. They have NEVER strayed... it's just not in them right now. But now I'm uber-pissed off about this, because I don't even know how to deal with an absolutely innocent 8 year old having seen that poo poo, explaining it to her that it's meant to scare adults, and it's only makeup and scary camera shots, and then have her say "I know that in my brain, but my eyes keep seeing it" as she sobs.

gently caress people.

Purely fwiw, sometimes, pretending is a useful way to deal with this kind of fear. She knows it's not real so it's only fair that if she can get scared by something fake she can use something like a stuffed animal or whatever to pretend it will fight the bad thing off. Alternatively, something real and big that's special. "hey kid, sorry that's scary. We both know it's not real, but here's a breaker bar. Anything comes through that door that's not me or mom and you hit them right in the face with this and they're going down for the count." Either way, it still sucks when other parents (in particular) or the world (in general) ruins all the good parenting you've been doing.

Seminal Flu posted:

It ended up okay, but the initial denial of responsibility was tough to take.

This drives me crazy. Lying is developmentally appropriate behavior for kids. Don't be surprised when your kid lies or pretend they always tell the truth. They're literally supposed to be lying to their parents and then those parents are like "nah, not my kid." Yes, yes, your kid. And all the other kids too.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Now that Crashplan has become business price only, what's everyone using for off-site backup?

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
A second Synology NAS tucked at my parents house and built in backup. Crash plan was my go-to recommendation for years. Anyone using Backblaze?

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Hello all, I just unexpectedly bought a house without selling the one I already live in. In fact we had no plans to move. The wagon has celebrated the occasion by developing a rod knock. Looking forward to towing two broken cars in past the new neighbors.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

builds character posted:

This drives me crazy. Lying is developmentally appropriate behavior for kids. Don't be surprised when your kid lies or pretend they always tell the truth. They're literally supposed to be lying to their parents and then those parents are like "nah, not my kid." Yes, yes, your kid. And all the other kids too.

I must not have been clear. Of course a child that age is going to lie, I agree... That's typical development. The problem I had was the child's FATHER assuming his snowflake could do no wrong and his lack of responsibility-taking. Or maybe we were saying the same thing. :shrug:

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Seminal Flu posted:

I must not have been clear. Of course a child that age is going to lie, I agree... That's typical development. The problem I had was the child's FATHER assuming his snowflake could do no wrong and his lack of responsibility-taking. Or maybe we were saying the same thing. :shrug:

Yeah, I was agreeing with you.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

My 5140lb lincoln has a 7000lb tow rating.

It actually had a receiver hitch on it at one point, too.

It could just barely haul another one of itself on a 20 foot aluminum car hauler. I don't think they build gas stations close enough together these days to attempt it, though.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Powershift posted:

It could just barely haul another one of itself on a 20 foot aluminum car hauler. I don't think they build gas stations close enough together these days to attempt it, though.

Fill the tank on the one you're towing and siphon it in between gas stops.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Powershift posted:

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Fermented Tinal posted:

Fill the tank on the one you're towing and siphon it in between gas stops.

Who says the one it's towing doesn't work? Swap them out when the first gets low on gas.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
IT MIGHT BE FREE-CAR-O-CLOCK AGAIN.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

dee eight posted:

Please yes I want it.

I drove an '84 Toyota pickup for ~25 years and I loved it dearly. Ask ol' gramps to tell you the story of The Dirtmobile.

My first car was an 84 Datsun truck, I feel you there. I really want a small truck again, since I don't need the cab space and haul kayaks and building materials pretty often, but I can't justify buying new at $half a house.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I feel like I've done a whole rant about the weird American Mah Truck :bahgawd: mentality before, but what you guys are describing are now just work vans. They're $20-28k brand new, small, easy to drive, have 1.5-2.5L 4 cylinder engines, and they're built to be only as big and powerful as they need to be. I see very few new work trucks anymore, but tons of new work vans

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Rhyno posted:

IT MIGHT BE FREE-CAR-O-CLOCK AGAIN.

Is it a cavalier?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Is it a cavalier?
Is it a Saturn with a busted front end and saggy seat?

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

The Door Frame posted:

I feel like I've done a whole rant about the weird American Mah Truck :bahgawd: mentality before, but what you guys are describing are now just work vans. They're $20-28k brand new, small, easy to drive, have 1.5-2.5L 4 cylinder engines, and they're built to be only as big and powerful as they need to be. I see very few new work trucks anymore, but tons of new work vans

Yeah, but I can't dump loads of bricks into it from 6 feet up.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Cheap Ring doorbell if anyone's looking.

Amazon bought them and dropped the base price to $99. The warehouse price is $89.99, but for some reason there's a 20% off discount that kicks in on the satin nickel one, bringing the Prime price down to $77 delivered after tax in my case. I needed a replacement doorbell anyway, so cheap upgrade.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00N2ZDXW2/ref=dp_olp_all_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=all

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

InitialDave posted:

Actually laughed out loud at that one, thank you

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

builds character posted:

This is probably our #1 priority with our son. Do not loving lie to us or the punishment is going to be ten times worse than if you just fess up. We stress to him that we need to be able to trust him if wants to do things now and in the future, and lying is not going to help him if he wants to have any kind of freedoms.

He's been doing well so far knock on wood, I'm just hoping once he's a teenager he stays relatively honest or it's gonna be a constant battle of the wills.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
lmao so my data meter updated to 99% but still a date of 4/10 soooooo basically I have no internet for 2 days on top of eating a giant fine.

god i love capitalism

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

This is probably our #1 priority with our son. Do not loving lie to us or the punishment is going to be ten times worse than if you just fess up. We stress to him that we need to be able to trust him if wants to do things now and in the future, and lying is not going to help him if he wants to have any kind of freedoms.

He's been doing well so far knock on wood, I'm just hoping once he's a teenager he stays relatively honest or it's gonna be a constant battle of the wills.

If it's in highlights it must be true and good advice. https://www.highlights.com/parents/articles/four-truths-about-lying

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

The Door Frame posted:

Nah. The open top on the truck is a feature that fits my particular use profile. Good luck getting a couple 12' kayaks into a compact van.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Maker Of Shoes posted:

lmao so my data meter updated to 99% but still a date of 4/10 soooooo basically I have no internet for 2 days on top of eating a giant fine.

god i love capitalism

Tether off of your phones?

And yeah, Cox loving blows. I've been getting persistent T3 timeouts on my modem (as have some of my neighbors) and they insist it's nothing to do with their network. I'm switching to CL as soon as I can get my truck rolling out of the garage again.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

IOwnCalculus posted:

And yeah, Cox loving blows. I've been getting persistent T3 timeouts on my modem (as have some of my neighbors) and they insist it's nothing to do with their network. I'm switching to CL as soon as I can get my truck rolling out of the garage again.

Yeah, its whatever for me but man I am not looking forward to two days of bitching the household is gonna do. :(

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Is it a cavalier?

It's a surprise!

InitialDave posted:

LoL

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Hopefully the monolithic beast that is Century Link can provide you much better service than they do here. My brother has them and gets 40mb, which is more than sufficient IMO, but he's ticked off at them for their billing. When he ordered he asked them a dozen times or more if the price they were quoting included all the taxes and fees, and would be the actual price he had to pay every month, and every time they said yes. His first bill arrives, and it's got a fee of some sort (one of those recovery charge things that's on every bill from Century Link) on top of the price they quoted. When he called them to complain they say that this isn't a tax or fee, it's a "recovery charge", which of course doesn't change the fact that they lied about the price being quoted being the exact price he would need to pay.

He is good at holding a grudge, so he's switching to Cox as soon as the contract time is over.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

The Locator posted:

He is good at holding a grudge, so he's switching to Cox as soon as the contract time is over.

I hope he likes bill creep.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I hope he likes bill creep.

Cox is the worst for bill creep. Started at 44.99 five years ago, crept up to 79 loving dollars without any plan changes.

Cancelled them, waited 30 days, signed up for a new plan under a different billing address for the equivalent 29.99 plan.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I just got offered a job! A real person adult job!

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Cox is the worst for bill creep. Started at 44.99 five years ago, crept up to 79 loving dollars without any plan changes.

Cancelled them, waited 30 days, signed up for a new plan under a different billing address for the equivalent 29.99 plan.

I'm up from 5 years of 50 to 83 loving dollars over the course of 18 months. It's insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

InitialDave posted:

That's no way to talk about STR and Dave.

Also, anyone with Verizon lose service? Was at the bar earlier, and everyone with Verizon lost service at the exact same time. Figured it was just one tower, but now I'm 25 miles away at the house and it's the same. No one has anything above 1X. loving weird.

Also, sad if my first thought was "God dammit, what did Trump loving do now?" when everyone's service dropped?

B t dubs: go loving bolts

• Locked thread