Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
I -uh - may have had a slight hand in that. Just um, don't ask what it cost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

My Cuck Dad posted:

https://twitter.com/MangaMagJapon/status/983598417732558848

New chapter is due to release April 27th.

Woe to ye of little faith. I never lost hope.

DEER GOD

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Crabtree posted:

BUT AT WHAT COST??!?!?!?!?

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Crabtree posted:

How many people did you sacrifice?

What color was the behelit?

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Ccs posted:

How many people did you sacrifice?

What color was the behelit?

Not sure about the color, but it had the faces of Yoshihiro Togashi, Eiichiro Oda, and Katsura Hoshino on it.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

Crabtree posted:

Goddamit... there is another season of the terrible CGI anime coming, isn't there...

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012

flowinprose posted:

Goddamit... there is another season of the terrible CGI anime coming, isn't there...

worth

Pelican Dunderhead
Jun 16, 2010

Ah! Hello Ershin!
Pillbug

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

Well, I think Zodd also goes where there is power, and he says as much sometime around the hill of swords and at the portal to the eclipse. Given that Griffith has been bitchslapped, what power does he now hold in Zodd's eyes, and how many are just going to walk out? Note specifically that Griffith did not immediately squeeze Rickert into nothingness, so if half the apostles decide to leave, is he going to react or even notice? There's still a question of who ordered the attack on Rickert, but it may well be that the apostles are already starting to control themselves without Griffith's say so.

I believe given the reaction post slap either Locus ordered the hit or Rakshas is doing it cuz he's jealous Rickert got to touch his babe.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

flowinprose posted:

What would be worse, another season of bad CG anime or a brand new golden age anime? Or a golden age live action adaptation?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I'd accept another golden age anime if it were good.

There's no prospect of good with the other two.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
Web preview of the next issue of Young Animal is up, and while there's still no flashy blurb that usually heralds a Berserk chapter, the potential misprint is still there. Buckle up.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

LordMune posted:

Web preview of the next issue of Young Animal is up, and while there's still no flashy blurb that usually heralds a Berserk chapter, the potential misprint is still there. Buckle up.

:pray:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

For the love of Guts, let it be.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

If even now, that chapter...
Is in your eyes more dazzling than anything...
Then pile it up, take all you have left...
Chant the words "I sacrifice" in your heart...
And you shall be granted raven-black wings...
Upon which you shall soar in the heavens, far above any hiatus.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
I just read the latest chapter and dang.

How long do you think it took Miura to draw that tortured Griffith?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Miura lives in a waking dream that won't leave him be until he either plays idolmaster or draws the thing in is head in ink and blood.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Crabtree posted:

Miura lives in a waking dream that won't leave him be until he either plays idolmaster or draws the thing in is head in ink and blood.

The rest of Berserk will actually be an idolmaster crossover.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 224 days!

lobster22221 posted:

The rest of Berserk will actually be an idolmaster crossover.

This is the Flowerstorm Queen's end game, and what the Skull Knight warned Guts of. In her pretty new dress, Casca will become everyone's idol. In a stunning allusion to Macross, her song will teach even Griffith and the Apostles what it means to love.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Hodgepodge posted:

This is the Flowerstorm Queen's end game, and what the Skull Knight warned Guts of. In her pretty new dress, Casca will become everyone's idol. In a stunning allusion to Macross, her song will teach even Griffith and the Apostles what it means to love.

Berserk, having already cornered the Seinen market, goes on to also become the best selling childrens manga of all time.

lobster22221 fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Apr 14, 2018

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
So I wanted to read this manga just to see what all the hype is about and I've read through the golden age arc and it still isn't really grabbing me. The golden age events are the ones I hear most talked about and I have no idea what happens next. If I haven't liked it yet, is there any point in continuing? I'm happy to give it as many shots as necessary considering its reputation and the devotion of its fans, but if it's all downhill from here I think I'll just let it be.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Nonexistence posted:

So I wanted to read this manga just to see what all the hype is about and I've read through the golden age arc and it still isn't really grabbing me. The golden age events are the ones I hear most talked about and I have no idea what happens next. If I haven't liked it yet, is there any point in continuing? I'm happy to give it as many shots as necessary considering its reputation and the devotion of its fans, but if it's all downhill from here I think I'll just let it be.
There is a Thing that happens, you will know what the Thing is when you get to it. It will be worth it and at the same time you will wish you hadn't. Read until the Thing happens and stay far away from spoilers until then. Godspeed.

Bisse fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Apr 15, 2018

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Bisse posted:

There is a Thing that happens, you will know what the Thing is when you get to it, read until the Thing happens and stay far away from spoilers until then. Godspeed.

I think if he finished the golden age arc he has got to that point. Unless you are talking about something else.

Personally it get a lot worse before it gets better.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

CharlestheHammer posted:

I think if he finished the golden age arc he has got to that point. Unless you are talking about something else.

Personally it get a lot worse before it gets better.
True, i guess that depends on where someone who hasn't read the manga thinks the arc ends.

How do you know that you have reached the end of tge Golden Age arc?

I agree that if you have reached the Thing and are not hooked then the manga just isn't your cup of tea maybe.

Bisse fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Apr 15, 2018

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Yeah it really takes 12 volumes to get to the inciting incident of the story.

I honestly prefer the later parts of Berserk when Guts has come into his own and projects a sense of control and relief whenever he shows up to aid his comrades. It's great seeing his evolution from someone a bit adrift and then seriously traumatized into the leader of a powerful group of allies.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

There's also that, while the Golden Age arc is awesome and absolutely necessary for aforementioned Thing (tm), later Berserk goes much more into straight fantasy. If you're in any way a fan of dark fantasy and tons of powermetal album covers woven into extremely badass fights, you should at least check out the arc after the Thing (tm).

And then continue because holy gently caress, some of the very best parts of Berserk are quite recent, holy poo poo

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

the tower of redemption is the best arc in my opinion

but there are like 7 other arcs that are also the best arc

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

What if, like, all of Berserk is one big arc

And it's the best one

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Torquemadras posted:

What if, like, all of Berserk is one big arc

And it's the best one

Berserk is actually the prequel arc to One piece. The amount of waiting we did while they were on a boat was to set the mood.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Nonexistence posted:

speak to a dr

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
I've gotten to the Thing and it kind of definitively ended Griffith's arc (as a human) which was the only thing that was interesting me. Thanks for the advice everyone.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i really like how taking care of other people served as guts' therapy, letting him move on from his frankly psychotic black swordsman phase.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Misty Valley arc is one of my favorites and was never adapted properly.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Many of the arcs could be the entirety of their own little mangas, and ironically Golden Age Arc has kind of proven that with how many times its retread.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.

Nonexistence posted:

For what it's worth I strongly disliked most of the Golden Age on my first time through.

I've since spent more than a decade dedicated to scanlating this bullshit because holy poo poo it gets good once the flashback (which, remember, is all the Golden Age is) is over and done with.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

The arc afterwards, Misty Valley, kind of sets the tone for the rest of the manga. Incredibly sad and bloody, but with some happy parts here and there.

Hey Chief
Feb 21, 2013

Golden Age is the most well known, but I'd say it only gets better from then on. Guess I'm not alone on that!

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Nonexistence posted:

I've gotten to the Thing and it kind of definitively ended Griffith's arc (as a human) which was the only thing that was interesting me. Thanks for the advice everyone.

yeah griffith is pretty inscrutable these days

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Andrigaar posted:

It's digital only. That seems to be a turn off for some people.

I've been hemming and hawing all weekend, but will probably buy a bunch of them tonight.

Yeah, I’m the jackass who missed that part and just assumed amazon had a branch for comics for some reason. I’d like to get a refund, but doubt they even do them.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I like Golden Age the best, but that's because I'm a philosophy nerd, and having Griffith around constantly (and he's the best character) has more of a philosophical focus than a lot of the later arcs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
So far I think one of my favorite panels is when Puck catches Guts having a minor breakdown after the Count's daughter starts screaming at him about everything being his fault. Poor guy's been through so much, with so little of it being his fault, and he just keeps getting poo poo on for it. :(

I bought a ton of volumes thanks to that sale but I probably won't have much to say since I just bought enough to get through the Golden Age arc and I've already watched the anime. It sounds like there's some stuff the anime didn't cover at the end of the arc though so I'll check back when I've gotten there.