Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Splicer posted:

e: ARB and EM do you mind if I cross-post your posts to the BWM thread?
Sure. What thread is that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Speaking of Edwards and fantasy games, I was going to post his rundown of Circle of Hands, totally unaware that it was Kickstarted and turned into a whole game. Anyone have any experience with it? I was really intrigued by the pitch, but felt it had an acute flaw of laying out its setting in negative terms. ("This is a Dark Age medieval setting, so there's no chivalry, no academia, no plate armor..." etc.)

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Splicer posted:

The best part about stories like this is shelf space isn't free. A shelf full of bullshit is a shelf full of lost sales of whatever else you could have put up there. An appreciable part of their monthly rent is going toward storing unsorted recycling.

Splicer posted:

I'd say RPGs and other such niche/hobbyist stores are especially prone to this. You go to a chain and 99% of the stuff on the shelves will have been bought based on whether or not they think it will sell, with the remaining 1% being stuff they think will be good PR. If it doesn't sell it gets discounted or tossed. An FLGS or other weird niche industry with little mainstream competition is more likely to buy stock based on what they think is correct. Admitting something isn't going to sell doesn't just imply you made a bad business opinion, it implies you held a bad opinion.

Exactly. I go to a really well run local store that is pretty merciless when it comes to products that aren't performing well.
They brought in comics and were doing pretty well with comics, but then scaled it back 75% or so because vintage video games were selling through like crazy and they needed the space. They kept 50% of the profit from comics by keeping a neat curation of current releases in 25% of the space, and filled that space instead with used video games that were doing 10x the inventory turns.

Dominion is a far better game than Munchkin. You're doing your store a disservice if you're stocking 2 deep in every Dominion SKU when you're selling 6 copies of Dominion core and 3 or 4 expansions every year, grossing you $120 in profit each year. You're better off keeping 1 or 2 copies of Dominion in stock (keeping those sales) and filling the rest of that space with Munchkin Zombies Against Humanity grossing you $450 in profit each year.
You'd think that people interested in hobby strategy games enough to open a retail store would be better at recognizing all the game parallels in optimization problem solving, engine building, and resource management.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

mllaneza posted:

It depends on the state; although I am technically wrong (the worst kind of wrong) because I was assuming San Francisco's Business Personal Property tax included inventory.

Ah, I see. I work in New York and am unfamilar with CA business taxes.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Evil Mastermind posted:

Sure. What thread is that?
Bad With Money thread over in BFC.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

canyoneer posted:

Exactly. I go to a really well run local store that is pretty merciless when it comes to products that aren't performing well.
They brought in comics and were doing pretty well with comics, but then scaled it back 75% or so because vintage video games were selling through like crazy and they needed the space. They kept 50% of the profit from comics by keeping a neat curation of current releases in 25% of the space, and filled that space instead with used video games that were doing 10x the inventory turns.

Dominion is a far better game than Munchkin. You're doing your store a disservice if you're stocking 2 deep in every Dominion SKU when you're selling 6 copies of Dominion core and 3 or 4 expansions every year, grossing you $120 in profit each year. You're better off keeping 1 or 2 copies of Dominion in stock (keeping those sales) and filling the rest of that space with Munchkin Zombies Against Humanity grossing you $450 in profit each year.

You'd think that people interested in hobby strategy games enough to open a retail store would be better at recognizing all the game parallels in optimization problem solving, engine building, and resource management.
There's a store in the Bay Area (Black Diamond Games up in Concord) whose owner writes a blog and he runs it in a cold and calculated and pitiless manner, and has great success while doing so (I think he turns more than $1m in sales yearly). He's very good about following his numbers and carrying things that his customers want to buy, not things he likes or wants to see succeed or "believes in". He's especially ruthless about killing underperforming game lines and firesale-ing the old stock (when Flames of War flagged in sales/popularity, and a new edition did nothing to reverse that, he just straight cut new orders to zero and marked the existing stock at 25% then 50% then 75% off) which lets him recover at least some dead money and plow it back into new stuff that will sell. It might break his heart that no one wants to buy GURPS stuff any more, but business is business, and if that space would make more money as, I dunno, Starfinder token packs, well...

He's turned his observations into a book ($10 electronic/$25 dead tree): http://gameplaywright.net/books/friendly-local-game-store/

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

mllaneza posted:

It depends on the state

What state taxes inventory? That would be a huge record-keeping burden.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
I've also noticed groggier shops are more reluctant to order stuff in. "But wouldn't you rather buy the stuff I already have?" Like, I get it, it's better from their point of view, but a sale's a sale. If it's a choice between "Sell something you have to order in" and "sell nothing," you'd think it would be an obvious choice.

Granted, I think fewer people are ordering stuff through stores now that the internet's so prevalent, but they don't even seem to try.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
It's kind of funny that the Edwards speeches came up when they did, because I was just saying the day before that that the problem with edition arguments or wars is that Dungeons & Dragons isn't one game, but instead is a variety of games that have different intents and different focuses. They may all have the same name and a lot of the same trappings, but they're not just variations on the same thing - their differences are often at the core and are irreconcilable.

It ends up being an argument of authenticity and prestige and may not actually be about the games themselves.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

FMguru posted:

There's a store in the Bay Area (Black Diamond Games up in Concord) whose owner writes a blog and he runs it in a cold and calculated and pitiless manner, and has great success while doing so (I think he turns more than $1m in sales yearly). He's very good about following his numbers and carrying things that his customers want to buy, not things he likes or wants to see succeed or "believes in". He's especially ruthless about killing underperforming game lines and firesale-ing the old stock (when Flames of War flagged in sales/popularity, and a new edition did nothing to reverse that, he just straight cut new orders to zero and marked the existing stock at 25% then 50% then 75% off) which lets him recover at least some dead money and plow it back into new stuff that will sell. It might break his heart that no one wants to buy GURPS stuff any more, but business is business, and if that space would make more money as, I dunno, Starfinder token packs, well...

He's turned his observations into a book ($10 electronic/$25 dead tree): http://gameplaywright.net/books/friendly-local-game-store/

Hah, the very first testimonial is from the dude that runs the store I go to. :hfive:

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
Eclectic Games in Reading UK stocks indie RPGs. I was so delighted they had SotDL print after seeing it talked about here. That said, they do have very variable coverage and they have a ton of Alas Vegas and Baron Munchausen because the author is local.

That said they only have a small RPG section. But their predecessor The Trading Post had RPGs in a central podium but that was during the oWoD heyday. But they did have copies of Spookshow and the Synnibar supplement growing stale in there, and some weird cases like a copy of Immortal 1e that the staff would advise people against buying.

Gasbraai
Oct 25, 2010

Lictor my Dictor
Can someone point me to the tabletop bloodbowl thread please, I dont have search.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

Friend of mine got a tattoo.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Libertad! posted:

Tankies are scumbags,

lol

Halloween Jack posted:

Tankies are funny and mostly stay in their lane. (Online, never doing anything, making GBS threads on any actual left organizing.)

lmao

Error 404 fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Apr 14, 2018

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

Durendal posted:

Friend of mine got a tattoo.

“Look at that little psycho! I want to meet that little psycho!”

“It’s like he doesn’t care about anything, but in a good way!”

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Has there ever been like a miniature equivalent of the art thread? In the sense of helping people find cool miniatures, like the art thread does?

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Has anyone else developed a fascination with weird artifacts of the 90s CCG boom? I've been buying up On the Edge booster boxes and it has really brought me back to those halcyon days where there were new CCGs coming out based on whatever license was around, and of course they were all featured in InQuest (also I think Over the Edge was a super great RPG). I'd love to grab some Arcadia boxes, but those are pretty dear these days.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

I recently really got into Arkham Horror LCG and I know it'd be totally my girlfriend's jam too. However, English is not her first language and while she'd do okay with the rules (and I'd be able to help her), she would have trouble with the fluff because the language is a little archaic at times.

So I bought the Chinese version of the game, as well as the English version. I was thinking of putting both languages of single sided cards in the same sleeve, so you can just pull it out and check the translation. It's a little awkward but I think it would work. Do you guys have any suggestions of good ways to deal with this?

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Has anyone else developed a fascination with weird artifacts of the 90s CCG boom? I've been buying up On the Edge booster boxes and it has really brought me back to those halcyon days where there were new CCGs coming out based on whatever license was around, and of course they were all featured in InQuest (also I think Over the Edge was a super great RPG). I'd love to grab some Arcadia boxes, but those are pretty dear these days.

Bruh.

I have a couple of boxes of buffy and star trek premade decks that I really want to play, also the DBZ TCG...

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The only CCG I played back in the day was Rage. I wish I had gotten in on Dune while it was a going concern.

And I really wish that some of the better games were released as non collectible sets or as mobile apps. It's trivially easy to get ahold of a lot of obscure role-playing games, but a complete set of Heresy: Kingdom Come?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Subjunctive posted:

What state taxes inventory? That would be a huge record-keeping burden.

10 states do this,

https://taxfoundation.org/does-your-state-tax-business-inventory/

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Huh! Thank you!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Translating Lovecraft must be a real trip.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

I found my old Mythos starter set; I wish I'd got more cards when I had the chance, that was a great game.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

Moriatti posted:

Bruh.

I have a couple of boxes of buffy and star trek premade decks that I really want to play, also the DBZ TCG...

Sometimes, in moments of lucidity, I wonder why I'm filling my house with cards I'll probably never have an opportunity to play.

Halloween Jack posted:

The only CCG I played back in the day was Rage. I wish I had gotten in on Dune while it was a going concern.

And I really wish that some of the better games were released as non collectible sets or as mobile apps. It's trivially easy to get ahold of a lot of obscure role-playing games, but a complete set of Heresy: Kingdom Come?

Rage went on fire sale at my LCGS back in the day and my friends and I picked up some decks. That was a gross game.

DigitalRaven posted:

I found my old Mythos starter set; I wish I'd got more cards when I had the chance, that was a great game.

I looked at Mythos too- it looked like a really cool game, but the boxes are going for too much to indulge my curiosity these days.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Sometimes, in moments of lucidity, I wonder why I'm filling my house with cards I'll probably never have an opportunity to play.

Hey man, I mean, we played a drsft of the Spongebob TCG... :v:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I've never found anyone else familiar enough with the source matetial to be willing to play the Duckman CCG with me

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
I used to buy starter decks because I found rulebooks interesting. But there was a big Heresy scene locally. Also Shadowfist, which was great too.

On the other hand somewhere I have some of the silly squared Arcadia cards which I never heard of anyone playing, ever. And of course Battle 3000..

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
A little while ago I bought a booster pack of the .hack card game. I always liked the art for the series and the boxes all had nice character art on them

Then I opened the pack and it turns out the cards used screencaps from the PS2 games

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
That's that quality work you can expect from Decipher.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Guy Goodbody posted:

A little while ago I bought a booster pack of the .hack card game. I always liked the art for the series and the boxes all had nice character art on them

Then I opened the pack and it turns out the cards used screencaps from the PS2 games

You got .hacked

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

hyphz posted:

On the other hand somewhere I have some of the silly squared Arcadia cards which I never heard of anyone playing, ever.

But the character standups were such a neat gimmick!

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

hyphz posted:

On the other hand somewhere I have some of the silly squared Arcadia cards which I never heard of anyone playing, ever. And of course Battle 3000..

Arcadia seemed amazing but
a: it had no starter decks
b: if you tried to play with the listed character + quest booster packs, you generally couldn't win because you'd have quests requiring particular cards you didn't have

So it died a spectacular and rapid death.

I'd love to see a LCG version though.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Rage was a terrible game that was a lot of fun to play, somehow. By all measures, it shouldn't have been fun - it was unbalanced, had a lot of degenerate card combos, and could easily fall into rules arguments over timing. It just played really fast and throwing pack attacks at people rarely got old.

That nineties White Wolf sense of humor sure hasn't aged well, though...

xiw posted:

Arcadia seemed amazing but
a: it had no starter decks
b: if you tried to play with the listed character + quest booster packs, you generally couldn't win because you'd have quests requiring particular cards you didn't have

So it died a spectacular and rapid death.

I'd love to see a LCG version though.

Yeah, ultimately it was a game you needed a full set of cards for. Upside, as far as I can tell it had flat rarity? Or maybe just nobody cared enough to figure it out...

It was an interesting game that practically nobody could play properly.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
My dream is to find people selling boxes of the monster rancher tcg cards at a convention but I haven't see any since like 1999

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
:siren: New blogpost is up for The Next Project.

This time, talking about a few rules quirks, and why they're in there -- of note, "no temporary HP, wtf?"

Give it a read and leave a comment, or join the discussion on the official TNP Discord.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Moriatti posted:

Bruh.

I only ever got a few games of the Star Trek CCG in, but I remember it being pretty cool. At least it seemed cool to a 10 year old Trek nerd.

Battletech looked cool too, though I never got a chance to try it out.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Drone posted:

I only ever got a few games of the Star Trek CCG in, but I remember it being pretty cool. At least it seemed cool to a 10 year old Trek nerd.

It was cool until you actually played by the rules. First Edition was a total goddamned mess; Second Edition was better but came wayyyyy too late to save the game.

There's still a small but rabid community around the Trek CCG that releases cards and has championships, amusingly enough called the Continuing Committee.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Countblanc posted:

My dream is to find people selling boxes of the monster rancher tcg cards at a convention but I haven't see any since like 1999

did it play like the tcg video game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

There was a time when I desperately, desperately wanted to get into that weirdo Hecatomb game Wizards came out with.

In the end I never saw a single card in the wild.