Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Speaking of tile updates, serious FR: bring back the previous tiles for entropy weavers and vampire mosquitos. The new ones are so ugly that I went in and changed them back myself in my offline copy.

e: lol of course this is the new page. To keep us on topic, I like the idea of the new Demigods having an artifact-creation gimmick out of all the suggestions that have been made, honestly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Samog posted:

its the "i have played this game 10000 times" penalty

There’s clearly a disconnect between the sort of players who have played 1000 times and focus on winning each and every game, and the ones who are perfectly content to go through dozens of characters in the early game until they get a specific character they feel some attachment to. From the perspective of someone trying to win every game, demigod is not bad, because you’ll go into d:2, 3 and 4, the point where you’re most likely to lose your character, with higher spellpower, defensive stats, hp, mp etc. than a demonspawn or most other species. And they don’t care that demonic guardian is better than any of that, because they want to win every game, not just the ones where they get a strong mutation early. Most players expect to die a billion times until they get a strong character anyway, so demonspawn is more appealing and seems more powerful. I’m not passing any judgement on either perspective, I think the game’s design has to be informed by both.

cheetah7071 posted:

The change to Promethean feels like the kind of thing that could make it into main branch crawl

The name change could, but the stats almost certainly not. Duvessa already thinks demigods are good and her opinions seem to carry a lot of weight. The change in the name and the xl aptitude are inarguably good, though. I’m surprised the mainstream crawl hasn’t gotten rid of xl aptitudes entirely, actually.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Dachshundofdoom posted:

...Demigods having an artifact-creation gimmick...
Again, so many of these ideas are just random ideas the peanut gallery has that'd be Totally Coolz Dudez to see on some random gimmick race, but have absolutely nothing to do with Demigods and their problems beyond a two second word-association game. The entire loving point of playing Dg is to not have gimmicks or odd mechanics. It's like taking a step back in time to playing Rogue again, you just your own wits and floorgod to wrangle a win with. Dg's problems lie in balance rather than concept; the tiniest of tweaks will see them playable and fun.

edit: Oh wait Floodkiller posted an update, Prometheans! Um, yea, I'm gonna go play that now, ttyl.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Apr 12, 2018

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

What's the link to download floodkiller's new version? I can only find the old one and idk anything about this git hub poo poo ;p

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Serephina posted:

Again, so many of these ideas are just random ideas the peanut gallery has that'd be Totally Coolz Dudez to see on some random gimmick race, but have absolutely nothing to do with Demigods and their problems beyond a two second word-association game. The entire loving point of playing Dg is to not have gimmicks or odd mechanics. It's like taking a step back in time to playing Rogue again, you just your own wits and floorgod to wrangle a win with. Dg's problems lie in balance rather than concept; the tiniest of tweaks will see them playable and fun.

edit: Oh wait Floodkiller posted an update, Prometheans! Um, yea, I'm gonna go play that now, ttyl.

I thought that was the point of playing a human?

I am Otis posted:

What's the link to download floodkiller's new version? I can only find the old one and idk anything about this git hub poo poo ;p

You should be able to find it here: https://github.com/Floodkiller/crawl/releases/tag/v1.0

Apologies in advance if I'm loving up the link though.

FulsomFrank fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Apr 12, 2018

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
lmao this slapfight is never going to end

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

post the link please :]

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
no

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
tbh i dont know and am too impaired to figure it out

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Serephina posted:

excuse me this is a wendys drivethru

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Great, at this rate it should only take 6 or 7 more pages before people realize that the name "Demigod" is now a free floating concept liberated from the challenge race it used to be.

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

FulsomFrank posted:

I thought that was the point of playing a human?

You should be able to find it here: https://github.com/Floodkiller/crawl/releases/tag/v1.0

Apologies in advance if I'm loving up the link though.

Thanks for the link. I have that version. I actually meant to ask for the link to the demigod promethean updated version.

weirdly chilly pussy
Oct 6, 2007

Dachshundofdoom posted:

Great, at this rate it should only take 6 or 7 more pages before people realize that the name "Demigod" is now a free floating concept liberated from the challenge race it used to be.

This is still the thread for 0.21 as well.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
#Give Prometheans rElec

my current demigod proposal:

- human aptitudes, slightly boosted hp/mp/mr

- still cant worship gods

- a chance on certain events to turn a random equipped non-artefact item into a randart. event examples are killing extremely dangerous uniques, surviving a dangerous and protracted fight, entering a branch for the first time, seeing a rune. chances vary between kinds of events

- a +2 boost to a weapon skill the first time you turn a weapon into a randart and +2 boosts at xl 7 and xl 14 to a defense skill and spell school respectively (should fighting be a defense skill and spellcasting a spell school for this purpose?)

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

I am Otis posted:

Thanks for the link. I have that version. I actually meant to ask for the link to the demigod promethean updated version.

I'm afraid you'll either have to compile it from source (the git hub poo poo) or wait till someone of "authority" to do it and provide the binaries.

Also I presume the online version gets updated sometimes?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I personally think that the name demigod implies extra interaction with the god system, not less. Maybe a race that gains piety 50% faster and has really good invo?

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Apr 12, 2018

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Tollymain posted:

- a chance on certain events to turn a random equipped non-artefact item into a randart. event examples are killing extremely dangerous uniques, surviving a dangerous and protracted fight, entering a branch for the first time, seeing a rune. chances vary between kinds of events
I do still think this would be highly manipulatable via dropping/unequipping items. I would at the very least switch to a backup weapon when finishing uniques pretty often to avoid making uncommon base weapon types into artifacts because artifacts often aren't that good and can't be enchanted. And also if I have a prot+3 ring and slay+4 ring, but also a ring of fire, temporarily I'm gonna want that ring of fire on while fighting a fire damage unique, but before they die I'm gonna wanna swap on one of the others because they're better overall.

Tollymain posted:

- a +2 boost to a weapon skill the first time you turn a weapon into a randart and +2 boosts at xl 7 and xl 14 to a defense skill and spell school respectively (should fighting be a defense skill and spellcasting a spell school for this purpose?)
IMO, neither should be. Fighting because it's very much also an offensive skill and also just better than dodging/armor(you could maybe count stealth?), and spellcasting doesn't push the player into using anything different(where a spell skill boost might make the player decide to use a spell school they wouldn't have otherwise) which I would guess might be part of why you want randomized skill boosts.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
both fair points

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

honestly i'd just want it to be a gamble entirely. sacrifice some chunk of your character and play the slots, at the very least knowing you're getting an artifact. maybe limit it so you can only do it from level 2/3/etc. or so onwards so people don't load one up and immediately do it then quit if it's not to their liking.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

cheetah7071 posted:

I personally think that the name demigod implies extra interaction with the god system, not less. Maybe a race that gains piety 50% faster and has really good invo?

At XL 8 you gain a choice between two random gods. At XL 11, the other one starts attacking you.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Would it be hellish to code a race that can worship two gods?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
is it acceptable to bribe people to code my dumbshit ideas

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

IronicDongz posted:

I do still think this would be highly manipulatable via dropping/unequipping items. I would at the very least switch to a backup weapon when finishing uniques pretty often to avoid making uncommon base weapon types into artifacts because artifacts often aren't that good and can't be enchanted. And also if I have a prot+3 ring and slay+4 ring, but also a ring of fire, temporarily I'm gonna want that ring of fire on while fighting a fire damage unique, but before they die I'm gonna wanna swap on one of the others because they're better overall.

maybe a bit fiddly, but that is a pretty standard roguelike situation. sometimes crawl runs away from decent mechanics in the name of avoiding something with perceived similarities to old problems like victory dancing.

we don't really need to service the Theoretically Optimal Player as much as mainline crawl does

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Tollymain posted:

is it acceptable to bribe people to code my dumbshit ideas
I'm pretty sure the term for that is "commission".

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Jazerus posted:

maybe a bit fiddly, but that is a pretty standard roguelike situation. sometimes crawl runs away from decent mechanics in the name of avoiding something with perceived similarities to old problems like victory dancing.
To an extent, but I don't really think that just 'cause something is a pretty standard roguelike situation means it's good either.

Being locked out of upgrading something anymore(which is what something becoming an artifact would do) is a pretty huge/annoying downside, so I think it's worth avoiding. If I had just found a demon trident or some other rare base weapon type only for it to become a mediocre artifact with a low enchant, preventing it from ever becoming good, would basically sour me on the mechanic forever.
Being able to make things artifacts yourself would be fun as well, I enjoyed it even with that super old kinda wonky smith god from a while back.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
you can tune the good/badness of artefacts within a bit of a spectrum right

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
thinking on it a bit more i think the best situation would be a "do you want to name this X" kinda prompt

getting to artefactize a piece of equipment whenever seems like itd feel a good bit less satisfying tho

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
The option to turn down making something an artifact is probably fine too. I would definitely still swap a lil bit but that would avoid the worst of it

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The ability to turn items into artefacts feels like a god power, not a racial power to me, for what it's worth

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
it could be a reason to bring back Gnomes as a thing that exists, which I would enjoy basically mostly because the idea of playing as a gnome is hilarious since I always picture them as a peppy garden gnome kinda dude

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
that is also completely fair

i do at the least want a species that gains skill boosts to one skill in each category tho, sort of like a less rigid draconian w/o innates

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

cheetah7071 posted:

The ability to turn items into artefacts feels like a god power, not a racial power to me, for what it's worth

This talk makes me anxious because I have an items centric god with artifact creation in the works and had so since I asked about adding a new gods a while back

Please guys go back to discussing 🦀 race

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
im absolutely open to discussing crabinoids

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
split the difference and make it a crab god

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
The shield/claw bash should have a low chance to malmutate the enemy because... crabs... cancer...

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

cheetah7071 posted:

split the difference and make it a crab god

That's actually floorgod's secret, true name which only the enlightened know

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'm reasonably certain Qazlal is a crab actually

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Teal posted:

The shield/claw bash should have a low chance to malmutate the enemy because... crabs... cancer...

nah, thats just silly

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Do jellies eat the stuff on the ground in Slime 5 still?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weirdly chilly pussy
Oct 6, 2007

icantfindaname posted:

Do jellies eat the stuff on the ground in Slime 5 still?

Only if you worship Jiyva.

• Locked thread