Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Am I thinking of GTA V when I say there was a game where, when a gameplay conversation got interrupted, the characters would pick it back up with "as I was saying..."? I think so. It's pretty cool.

Modern games have been doing that. Uncharted 4, Mafia III and Watch_Dogs 2 all did it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

My Lovely Horse posted:

Am I thinking of GTA V when I say there was a game where, when a gameplay conversation got interrupted, the characters would pick it back up with "as I was saying..."? I think so. It's pretty cool.
Far Cry 5 does this except there's always something loving exploding or shooting you every six seconds so it's like
:v: Phew it's over, so about that thing, Old Man Grump... OH MY GOD!!
*Explosions and gunfire for thirty seconds*
:v: Phew it's over, so about that thing, Old Man Grump... OH MY GOD!!
*Explosions and gunfire for thirty seconds*

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Apparently in FC5 if you even drive or fly within a certain range of an enemy without aggroing them you'll cause conversations to reset like that, which effectively results in all party banter repeating the first three seconds constantly.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Was actually thinking about Uncharted 4. Shows how much attention I pay to games, I played Mafia III and Watch_Dogs 2 and still had this down as some unique thing.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
Interrupted conversations: I'm getting a similar thing trying to do companion quests in FO4 and they always seems to want to have a heart to heart in the middle of a firefight.

*sneaking around raider camp to line up silent kills*
"So, we've been travelling together for a while now..."

EXPLOSIONS AND GUNFIRE EVERYWHERE because this conversation just pulled me out of Sneak mode and now I'm dead.

And then after I've restarted, cleared out a million trash mob raiders and looted their worthless poo poo the fucks don't even want to have the conversation again and I have to wait for the next trigger point.

I hate pretty much everything about this new conversation mechanic tbh. Much prefer the old frozen head textboxes.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

darkwasthenight posted:

Interrupted conversations: I'm getting a similar thing trying to do companion quests in FO4 and they always seems to want to have a heart to heart in the middle of a firefight.

*sneaking around raider camp to line up silent kills*
"So, we've been travelling together for a while now..."

EXPLOSIONS AND GUNFIRE EVERYWHERE because this conversation just pulled me out of Sneak mode and now I'm dead.

And then after I've restarted, cleared out a million trash mob raiders and looted their worthless poo poo the fucks don't even want to have the conversation again and I have to wait for the next trigger point.

I hate pretty much everything about this new conversation mechanic tbh. Much prefer the old frozen head textboxes.

Preston had me in a loop of death because he kept wanting to dump his life story on me during a settlement attack.
Eventually while trying to click spam out of his dialogue I accidentally shanked him pickmans blade and he stopped talking. Hope that didn't break him.

BioEnchanted posted:

I like the pacing of Unleashed's levels.

I feel like Unleashed starts out fun, until later on where the levels just start throwing so much stuff at you it gets hard to see/react as your whizzing by.
I had some trouble during holaska because the spikes floating atop the water blended in with the background, that my eyes couldn't register them and I kept dying.
And the QTE's get obnoxious after awhile. Especially towards Eggman land.

Pretty similar to forces where the levels start out fine, but as they want you to get more precise, you realize how truly bad the controls are (especially in 3D space - and classic sonic) that your kind of glad the levels are so short.
Likewise the QTE's also suck when your going for S-ranks, Metal sonics stage has a QTE against a random bot before his fight - that is pointless. And that QTE's are good for score, they can mess up your time bonus (especially if your doing time missions).

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

My Lovely Horse posted:

Was actually thinking about Uncharted 4. Shows how much attention I pay to games, I played Mafia III and Watch_Dogs 2 and still had this down as some unique thing.

I just saw this come up once in uncharted 4 but it was cool as hell

Crashed the jeep so people stopped talking to yell at me before segueing back into their line with “Now, as I was saying...”

I’m sure the magic would get destroyed pretty fast if you went out of your way to make it happen too many times, but I just saw it that one time so I was floored

Sarkimedes
Jul 2, 2012
I started playing Sexy Brutale yesterday, and while I like the premise and the art style I find the game to be kind of awkward to control.
It's a point-and-click adventure, but to interact with anything you can't simply click it. Instead you have to right-click the floor next to it and wait for your character to run over to it before you can click the thing, which feels really clunky to me.
I will admit I haven't played much else in this genre so it might just be down to me needing to get used to it - is that just how these sorts of games usually control?

Also, I kind of blindly stumbled into the solutions for the first two levels, which means I'm not really getting much satisfaction from completing them. I'm hoping the next few levels are a bit more complex so I don't just keep bumbling into their solutions.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I played one hour or so of Just Cause 3 and blowing stuff up is very fun but goddamn, these are some Sonic 06 level of loading screens. Start a mission, loading screen, cutscene, finish cutscene, loading screen, go to waypoint, loading screen, another cutscene, another loading screen,actually play the game for a while, loading screen.

I know it's a troubled game, but man.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Don't play the missions.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Samuringa posted:

I played one hour or so of Just Cause 3 and blowing stuff up is very fun but goddamn, these are some Sonic 06 level of loading screens. Start a mission, loading screen, cutscene, finish cutscene, loading screen, go to waypoint, loading screen, another cutscene, another loading screen,actually play the game for a while, loading screen.

I know it's a troubled game, but man.

IIRC most of the performance issues are due to the game constantly pinging SquareEnix's servers literally every time something happens and playing offline gives a very noticeable performance boost because that stops it.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I'm playing Watch_Dogs (I know, I know...) and one thing has annoyed me more than anything else so far. Hacker-thug Aiden Pearce is trying to figure out who killed his niece, and has assembled 'yer typical conspiracy wall in his motel room, with photos and clippings pinned up, lines connecting them and a big ? in the middle.

But it's a projection onto his wall rather than a real board! It's ridiculous! Who would waste all this time photoshopping a fake conspiracy wall together and buying a projector to show it. Who is he trying to impress?!

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I like the new PvE mode in Overwatch for the anniversary event, but for the love of God, why do half the people I match with reuse to get into the dropship at the end of the match?!

I'd say about 30% of my matches we've gotten a loss because 1 or 2 people won't get in the ship to trigger the ending. I don't get it, if they're trying to get more points, it's not worth it. Just get in so the match will end.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

glad she is dead posted:

I'm playing Watch_Dogs (I know, I know...) and one thing has annoyed me more than anything else so far. Hacker-thug Aiden Pearce is trying to figure out who killed his niece, and has assembled 'yer typical conspiracy wall in his motel room, with photos and clippings pinned up, lines connecting them and a big ? in the middle.

But it's a projection onto his wall rather than a real board! It's ridiculous! Who would waste all this time photoshopping a fake conspiracy wall together and buying a projector to show it. Who is he trying to impress?!

You can at least turn off the projector so you don’t have a Wall Of I’m A loving Crazy Person sitting there if someone barges in.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

Guy Mann posted:

IIRC most of the performance issues are due to the game constantly pinging SquareEnix's servers literally every time something happens and playing offline gives a very noticeable performance boost because that stops it.

I blocked the JC3 executable on windows firewall and didn't have any issues playing the game. Between that and keeping it on an SSD it worked out pretty well. Once you get the powered rocketpack and missles the game becomes an Ironman simulator and it's awesome.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Ugly In The Morning posted:

You can at least turn off the projector so you don’t have a Wall Of I’m A loving Crazy Person sitting there if someone barges in.

Aiden Pearce essentially feels like an embarrassing deadbeat Dad who's desperately trying to stay hip.

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight

DrBouvenstein posted:

I like the new PvE mode in Overwatch for the anniversary event, but for the love of God, why do half the people I match with reuse to get into the dropship at the end of the match?!

I'd say about 30% of my matches we've gotten a loss because 1 or 2 people won't get in the ship to trigger the ending. I don't get it, if they're trying to get more points, it's not worth it. Just get in so the match will end.

This happened to me last night. My three teammates were on the drop ship, but I kept getting booped off the platform by those big giant robots. Then I died. It was annoying.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Finally caught up with this thread. Been playing a few games lately.

Picked up an old copy of Madden 2106 for 5 bucks and, god drat, this game STILL does the same cheap bullshit it's been doing for 20 years now. The CPU cheats like a motherfucker, to the point that outcomes often seem pre-determined, especially if you happen to be ahead. Depending on the score, the CPU is always in the right call agains you and adjusts perfectly to your audibles. Lot of sports games are like this but EA is the worst. Players consistently gut stuck in animations and the CPU seems to be able to do stuff that you can't (pass protect, catch in traffic, break tackles, mount a pass rush, block kicks).

Grabbed the Resident Evil remake on the cheap was really surprised they didn't add a first person mode. There's a mod out there that does it perfectly but as it stands, it's just the original game with a fresh coat of paint. I haven't tried the Resident Evil Zero game yet.

Witcher 3 is really good but the crafting system and materials interface are counter intuitive and confusing. I'm never sure if I should be breaking down items for components or combining them and the menu interface is a mess. The d-pad quick menu seems random and arbitrary too, even if I equip certain slots. It seems to decide for me if I'm gonna use a potion or eat a turkey leg.

Sword and armor damage can get hosed too. There are whetstones in towns but their sharpening bonus is a timed effect it seems so there's hardly any point to using them. Searching, herb collection and looting are really finicky too. I find myself looking at the small map more than the world map to find herbs. The crossbow is useless and is loving up my archer build.

Forza 3 I grabbed used too and the menu is a loving mess of ads and DLC offers. I'm never quite sure what I'm supposed to be doing next in this game or what I have to achieve to get the Hot Wheels expansion to open up, which is the only reason I wanted the game.

DOOM is good but its all "run and gun". I don't feel any way to use strategy at all - duck and cover, stealth or planning a level.

Okami HD is a game I never got finish on PS2 and is amazing and gorgeous but, jesus christ, can we speed up the text speech a tad? It's also WAY too easy. I think I've only come close to dying once. It needs difficulty settings and less of that bug creature.

Outlast 1 and 2 are OK and genuinely creepy in places but running in totally dark screen is not fun at all. Nor is not being able to fight back EVER. Part 2 is dragged down by those scripted "you better know where you're running to escape this boss" and, if you don't, you have to trial and error it.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

BiggerBoat posted:

Grabbed the Resident Evil remake on the cheap was really surprised they didn't add a first person mode. There's a mod out there that does it perfectly but as it stands, it's just the original game with a fresh coat of paint.

You know that's an HD port of a Gamecube game, right? And it came out a number of years ago, way before RE7? Why would it have a first-person mode? It's also one of the best RE games ever and is way more than just the original game but newer.

quote:

DOOM is good but its all "run and gun". I don't feel any way to use strategy at all - duck and cover, stealth or planning a level.

Stealth? In loving Doom? Have you ever played Doom before? :psyduck:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Yeah, DOOM 100 percent set out to be a classic style twitch FPS where you’re thinking maybe two seconds ahead tops, and it 100 percent succeeded. If you’re disappointed you can’t use stealth, that’s really on you.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

Okami HD is a game I never got finish on PS2 and is amazing and gorgeous but, jesus christ, can we speed up the text speech a tad? It's also WAY too easy. I think I've only come close to dying once. It needs difficulty settings and less of that bug creature.
Issun is very much a product of the game's time. I get what they're going for with him but it just doesn't work. My first time with Okami was magical, my second playthrough was still excellent but the more of Issun there was the stronger the feeling got that I was never going to play it again.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

Grabbed the Resident Evil remake on the cheap was really surprised they didn't add a first person mode. There's a mod out there that does it perfectly but as it stands, it's just the original game with a fresh coat of paint. I haven't tried the Resident Evil Zero game yet.

Forza 3 I grabbed used too and the menu is a loving mess of ads and DLC offers. I'm never quite sure what I'm supposed to be doing next in this game or what I have to achieve to get the Hot Wheels expansion to open up, which is the only reason I wanted the game.

The Resident Evil HD remasters just use upscaled (REmake) or re-rendered (RE0) versions of the original backgrounds so there's no 3D version to add first person to. You're probably thinking of an Unreal Engine 4 tech demo someone made with a few rooms from the mansion remade. RE0 looks way better because they found the source files for rendering backgrounds, whereas with RE1 they only had what shipped with the original game.

As for Doom it's a killfest but make sure you're playing on Ultra-Violence otherwise it's way too easy. You should just be in the middle of dozens of enemies frantically ripping and tearing them apart, occasionally whipping out the chainsaw.

Forza Horizon 3 unlocks to DLC areas after you open a second festival, then you can travel to them by going to their tab on the menu. And yes, DLC is everywhere and you will never avoid having it shoved in your face until you relent and buy it all for hundreds of dollars.

If you're not sure what to do press D-pad down to activate Emma or whatever her name is, then tell her to direct you to the next race, bucket list or whatever else you feel like doing. You get more fans by completing events of any kind, then once you reach set amounts you can expand existing festivals (which unlocks new events and cars) or open new ones. Stick with it, it's a great game underneath the adverts

Convex has a new favorite as of 17:35 on Apr 12, 2018

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Closed-Down Pizza Parlor posted:

You know that's an HD port of a Gamecube game, right? And it came out a number of years ago, way before RE7? Why would it have a first-person mode? It's also one of the best RE games ever and is way more than just the original game but newer.

Stealth? In loving Doom? Have you ever played Doom before? :psyduck:

I realize what RE remake was, yes. I thought they had added a new camera angle though and I guess assumed it was fp. Turns out it was getting rid of the tank controls. I grabbed a bunch of games from a flea market and am working my through them.

And, yeah, maybe "stealth" was the wrong term for Doom. I just meant I remember in the original game, going all the way back to the Sega 32x, that you could use a little cover here and there or lead enemies around a little. So far, I'm just getting gang raped. Could be me getting old or doing duck and cover over the years as FPS has evolved.

BiggerBoat has a new favorite as of 18:10 on Apr 12, 2018

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
To the contrary, fps todays tend to rely more on cover. DOOM was about dodging projectiles, as is the new one.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

BiggerBoat posted:

I realize what RE remake was, yes. I thought they had added a new camera angle though and I guess assumed it was fp. Turns out it was getting rid of the tank controls. I grabbed a bunch of games from a flea market and am working my through them.

And, yeah, maybe "stealth" was the wrong term for Doom. I just meant I remember in the original game, going all the way back to the Sega 32x, that you could use a little cover here and there or lead enemies around a little. So far, I'm just getting gang raped. Could be me getting old or doing duck and cover over the years as FPS has evolved.

Complete strategy guide for DOOM 2016:

never stop moving, never stop shooting, circlestrafe forever, rip and tear rip and tear RIP AND TEAR

also it helps to swap weapons like a meth addict snorting adderall, my favorite is flipping endlessly between super shotgun double-tap and a gauss cannon shot

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

RagnarokAngel posted:

To the contrary, fps todays tend to rely more on cover. DOOM was about dodging projectiles, as is the new one.

Knee deep in the dead felt at times like survival horror. It was DOOM2 that really leaned into kill'em all. Dead simple stands out.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

And new Doom is an entire game of Dead Simple forever!

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

yeah, it rules

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

This game is scary as gently caress and I am legitimately afraid when playing it. I would leave the room when my husband played it in many parts cause I couldn’t handle it. Started playing 1 on my own and I’m fighting through the fear but omg. I kind of want to cry right now cause I think it’s given me video game PTSD and I’m stuck at this place where the crazy doctor stabs you to death in a hallway and I have no idea how to get out, and I don’t want to watch YouTube videos cause there’s always some rear end in a top hat talking and I want to enjoy the mood, as horrible to me as it is. I’m getting anxiety just thinking about this game.

Things dragging the game down: it gives me severe anxiety.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!

Thin Privilege posted:

This game is scary as gently caress and I am legitimately afraid when playing it. I would leave the room when my husband played it in many parts cause I couldn’t handle it. Started playing 1 on my own and I’m fighting through the fear but omg. I kind of want to cry right now cause I think it’s given me video game PTSD and I’m stuck at this place where the crazy doctor stabs you to death in a hallway and I have no idea how to get out, and I don’t want to watch YouTube videos cause there’s always some rear end in a top hat talking and I want to enjoy the mood, as horrible to me as it is. I’m getting anxiety just thinking about this game.

If you don’t mind looking up a video guide I believe adding something like ‘No commentary’ to your YouTube search will give you a video without someone talking.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Thin Privilege posted:

that's about the only think I liked about really. I don't scare easily but love horror games. OL 1 and 2 had a lot going for them but a lot of it felt really cheap. Not being able to see where you're going, while scary, is not fun playing a game. At all. Nor is trial and error reloading, imo. Speaking of which:

BTW, hide, make your way to the long end of the room opposite of where you're starting, get the guy behind you then make a break for it once your in a hallway and not the lab with all the tables and shelves. Eventually, if i remember right, you crawl up some vent or something after going through a few doors. That led in segment was very disturbing.

Also, OK, young dudes, I get that Doom is a fast paced twitch shooter, I'm an old and it's been maybe 20 years since I played but I still recall some semblance of strategy in the original.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

Also, OK, young dudes, I get that Doom is a fast paced twitch shooter, I'm an old and it's been maybe 20 years since I played but I still recall some semblance of strategy in the original.

Sure, sometimes you're stuck in a confined space or hallway so you back up or shoot your really big gun gun at them.

Seriously, the core conceit of classic Doom is how to appropriately funnel enemies through your movement to minimize risk to yourself. A lot of the time that's circle strafing but maps are designed to mix in irregularly shaped areas areas, monster closets, elevation, terrain hazards, and other tricks in order to make you devise new strategies. In limited instances would you need to employ a strategy of firing a shot, sprinting to cover, and repeating, but it does crop up especially in areas of levels with large amounts of hitscan enemies.

You can basically play Doom entirely from the map view and looses little because the game has vastly more in common with twin-stick shooters than it does with games where precision with weaponry matters.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

BiggerBoat posted:

Indeed.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
Original Doom has way more strategy to it than people give it credit. And you could actually "stealth" around a bit to get better angles or to better terrain before you started killing things in certain places. I love the first 2 Dooms and cannot stand new Doom (literally uninstalled within an hour) because it's a completely different beast. The mindless run and gun shooters started after Doom.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Doom had level design which was often brilliant and elaborate and the enemy placement was considered with that in mind. The new one is a series of open combat arenas where enemies just kind of spawn in wherever. It's good at what it does but it has more in common with Serious Sam than its namesake

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Barudak posted:

Sure, sometimes you're stuck in a confined space or hallway so you back up or shoot your really big gun gun at them.

Seriously, the core conceit of classic Doom is how to appropriately funnel enemies through your movement to minimize risk to yourself. A lot of the time that's circle strafing but maps are designed to mix in irregularly shaped areas areas, monster closets, elevation, terrain hazards, and other tricks in order to make you devise new strategies. In limited instances would you need to employ a strategy of firing a shot, sprinting to cover, and repeating, but it does crop up especially in areas of levels with large amounts of hitscan enemies.

You can basically play Doom entirely from the map view and looses little because the game has vastly more in common with twin-stick shooters than it does with games where precision with weaponry matters.

Even the shoot and scoot levels put way more emphasis on shooting and scooting rather than using cover as actual cover. And stealth? Forget about that poo poo.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

BiggerBoat posted:

The crossbow is useless and is loving up my archer build.

The crossbow in Witcher 3 is for magically one-shotting things underwater (this is a big tip if you don't already know this, it almost instakills underwater enemies) and for knocking some enemies out of the air. You cannot have an 'archer build' in the Witcher. Witchers use their swords.

And also magics but you're gonna be swording a lot no matter what.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
After 20 years of listening to people complaining that shooters that are in no way trying to play like Doom don't play like Doom it's only fair to get to criticize Doom for not playing like other shooters it is in no way trying to be. :colbert:

Also it's a good game but while it superficially resembles the original in terms of focusing on movement the actual gameplay loop, especially on higher difficulties, is completely different in that it's less about dodging shots and nursing a health bar between medkits placed around the level than it is managing exactly when to charge in and refill your health with a Glory Kill before the unavoidable chip damage kills you.

On the highest difficulty you effectively only have two hitpoints (one hit brings you down to a warning state and another that kills you) so the game is more about being aware of the enemies around and their health so you can constantly juggle glory kills every time you get knocked down to the point where one more hit will kill you. It's almost like the infamous postgame gunplay in the Borderlands games where a single hit puts you into the near death state and surviving is based keeping a constant stream of enemies to kill whenever you're knocked down, only actually fun to play in that you're just as lethal to the monsters.

Also if you read about the super high level players and the strategies they use to beat the game's Ultra-Nightmare mode you realize that equipment builds and upgrade paths are hugely important for what looks like a mindless run-and-gun shooter.

I love that that photoshop is almost 15 years old at this point and people are still posting it.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Futuresight posted:

Original Doom has way more strategy to it than people give it credit. And you could actually "stealth" around a bit to get better angles or to better terrain before you started killing things in certain places. I love the first 2 Dooms and cannot stand new Doom (literally uninstalled within an hour) because it's a completely different beast. The mindless run and gun shooters started after Doom.

This guy gets it.

I like the Doom game I'm playing but gently caress if it doesn't seem like constant, never ending shitrain a lot of the time. I feel like I used to be able to run to a safe area and at least catch my breath or switch weapons before regrouping and getting back into the poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

glad she is dead posted:

Watch_Dogs is the game that at one point supposedly had train tracks that made 90 degree turns, so I'm not sure how much thought they put into the small details.