Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

These types of Corvettes do not synchronize well at all because the Autocannons get a boost to shield damage while the Torps bypass the shields.

I like that torps bypass shields because then the armor is gone once the shields are finished and the cannons can go straight to the hull. That way everything is only hitting what they’re strong against. I think it syncs very well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

I think the ripper(?) guns, the ones that also do bonus damage to hull do even better with torps. Torpedoes go through the shields and wreck, and by the time you're other guns get through the shields, the armor should be mostly gone.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Senor Dog posted:

I like that torps bypass shields because then the armor is gone once the shields are finished and the cannons can go straight to the hull. That way everything is only hitting what they’re strong against. I think it syncs very well
I had not thought about it like that, so thank you for pointing it out. I could see that working, I just have an aversion to missiles so have not tried it, but maybe I will!

Arrath posted:

I tend to run PD on my destroyers but they just love getting pasted by whatever shoots their way, so PD vettes are probably the real answer.
Yeah I have had very little success with Destroyers and have been trying to run Corvette fleets and BS/Titan fleets with nothing in-between and it has worked well so far. The Destroyers just die at such a higher rate (rather than withdrawing).

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
I tend to stop caring about anything smaller than a carrier once I get past midgame honestly. But I use NSC and will never not use it, so my main primary fleet in the game I'm playing right now is a flagship, 5 titans, 10 dreadnoughts and 2 fleet support ships.

And as was said before, it makes for very pretty lightshows.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

What is NSC?

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

These types of Corvettes do not synchronize well at all because the Autocannons get a boost to shield damage while the Torps bypass the shields. If you are running Torps I would run 100% Torp+Disruptor (both bypass shields) OR, my preferred 'Vette fit, 1x Autocannon 2x Plasma. You can also get away with Lasers and Mass Drivers.

edit: I also like to mix in 50% PD Corvettes because they will shoot down the missiles that basic system stations fire and thus take little, or no, damage when running around taking systems.
They synchronize real well because I'm using armor destroying missiles. The missiles immediately start working in on the armor while the rippers are taking down the shields. Typically enemy shields and armor go down around the same time, and then the autocannons get their bonus to hulls without taking any armor penalties.

I noticed this was losing effectiveness when the autocanons were getting stuck chewing through enemy armor. Took me a while to figure out that this was because so many missiles were getting shot down that I couldn't take out enemy armor at a good speed any more.

My experiences with disruptors is that they're poo poo and do next to no damage. I was running them for a while with the idea that I'd just ignore shields, but the ripper autocannons end up tearing through the shields and then the hull so fast that it's more than worth it to have them around over disruptors.

That said, autocannon + plasma corvettes do sound like a good alternative, considering the PD I'm facing.

Arrath posted:

Gunship vettes with Autocannons and Plasma cannons then Battleships with massed Proton Launchers work great for me.

My typical fleet with have 50 vettes, half gunships and half with missile/another autocannon, then 2 battelships (and assorted destroyers and cruisers but the point is:) Those BB's will handily deal more damage than the mass of vettes in every battle.
That sounds good, but battleships are sooo slow. Max tech corvettes are 354 speed, maxed out cruisers are 290, you can even get a titan to go at 262 since they have three slots for afterburners, but battleships are 242, tops. 354 vs 242 is noticeable. It's painful to get them into position when you're used to all corvette fleets.

I mean, I do it. I have a mixed fleet in addition to a couple corvette fleets, but it's mainly for defense and getting a subspace snare titan into position to finish off enemy fleets more reliably. My mixed fleet actually had all autocannon corvettes to take down the shields for the proton heavy other ships. Or that was the idea, my mixed fleet has never been that effective.

I actually just realized destroyers are pretty fast too. For some reason I thought their one afterburner slot hurt them more than it did, but they're 311 at maximum tech. I wonder if I could make an effective corvette/destroyer fleet. Get some neutron launchers on the destroyers.

The other thing I don't get is fleet power. 8 corvettes, torpedo or strike, are about 10k fleet power for me now. But a decked out battleship is only 2k by itself. My full mixed fleets are running around with 89k fleet power while my full corvette fleets have 115k... should I just be ignoring that number? If there's a 100k enemy fleet is my mixed fleet really outclassed while my corvettes will be fine?

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

iospace posted:

What is NSC?

A mod called New Ship Classes. It updates and expands the different ships and loadouts you can build.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

iospace posted:

What is NSC?

http://www.nscmod.com/

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

iospace posted:

What is NSC?

NSC is a mod that adds a bunch of ship types. Everything from sub-types of cruisers, to dedicated strike craft ships. Some of the top end ships are utterly insane, including a Flagship that your empire can only have one of. Just building one takes a metric fuckton of resources, and even leaving it in drydock gives you a -1 monthly influence penalty.

On the other hand...

I just randomly christmas-tree'd the slots and look at the sheer amount of firepower that thing is capable of fielding.

https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=683230077

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I'm only using Glavius' mod for this run, at 2264 I'm pretty sure not a single empire has warred with another in my entire galaxy. And this is with me using the custom difficulty mod to boost their handicap to Grand Admiral level now.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:stonklol:

Does it balance the rest of the ships or just adds new ones?

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

DoubleNegative posted:

NSC is a mod that adds a bunch of ship types. Everything from sub-types of cruisers, to dedicated strike craft ships. Some of the top end ships are utterly insane, including a Flagship that your empire can only have one of. Just building one takes a metric fuckton of resources, and even leaving it in drydock gives you a -1 monthly influence penalty.

On the other hand...

I just randomly christmas-tree'd the slots and look at the sheer amount of firepower that thing is capable of fielding.

https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=683230077

Also of note is that while yes that stuff looks OP, AI can, and will, build it all too.

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011
When I tried it, NSC seemed to make the game a bit tougher and it was pretty fun. Fairly balanced as well.

I haven't tried it since 2.0 dropped though.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

GamingHyena posted:

My big beef with stations isn’t the cost (today’s front line bastion is tomorrow’s backwater anchorage), but that the huge station spam you get in the late game prevents you from effectively managing them. Since you’re limited on how far you can plan a station out in the build queue (can’t have the option to build the logistics office without an anchorage, even if you plan to build an anchorage first) you have to periodically mess with them from time to time no matter where they’re located. Yet once you build out an anchorage, you’re likely never to interact with it again yet it still clutters up the station list. When you have two or three it doesn’t matter, but like a lot of things in Stellaris it doesn’t scale well.

Personally, I’d like to see anchorages or trade posts made part of the planet screen (I’m not sure how much logistical support a station in an uninhabited system next to the edge of the galaxy could provide anyways) and leave stations as fortified bastions / shipyards only.
I really wish there was a "just keep upgrading" button for things like stations and megastructures. Like, I know I'm going to upgrade it to citadel, the game knows I'm going to upgrade it to citadel, let me press an "upgrade to citadel" button. I've said it before but they really should move the multistage stuff like citadels and megastructures to a starting cost -> partial income tax for ongoing development system.

It's also super weird that the planet screen moves the greyed out options to underneath the available options, but the station screen shows them all jumbled up with the stuff you can build cluttering your queue. You got this right in one part of the game, why do it wrong in another? Also, I get that the limitation logistics office without anchorages is to save me from myself, but really I can work it out. Colour it red for dangerous or something if I don't have an anchorage built. Or keep the restriction but let queued anchorages "count".

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Arrath posted:

This is the bees knees right here. Though I still run an Auto on my missile vettes since my fleets are 50:50 gunships and missiles, that way there's an equal number of Energy and Kinetic on the field. Someone math'd it out pages and pages ago and an Auto does something like 200% the real damage of a distruptor since its damage is so utterly low to balance out the defense piercing.

I tend to run PD on my destroyers but they just love getting pasted by whatever shoots their way, so PD vettes are probably the real answer.

yup, i also run 50% 2-plasma 1-autocannon swarm corvettes + 50% 2-missile 1-autocannon corvettes, plus big ships because corvette swarms aren't very fun for me.

it's a really nasty setup that will more or less always outclass the AI's design no matter what they've put together. disruptors are terrrrrrible

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Eiba posted:

That sounds good, but battleships are sooo slow. Max tech corvettes are 354 speed, maxed out cruisers are 290, you can even get a titan to go at 262 since they have three slots for afterburners, but battleships are 242, tops. 354 vs 242 is noticeable. It's painful to get them into position when you're used to all corvette fleets.

Yeah, this is a great point and I'm probably hamstringing myself by having all my fleets be identical copies with a mix of all ship types, I really should try diversifying it up a bit. Hammer/Anvil fleets, QRF's and the like.

L slots on the destroyers can be very useful, I've had successes with Kinetic Battery destroyers to strip away shields for the big boys to blow them up with Neutron Launchers but then we're back to the issue of destroyers dying in droves compared to any other ship class.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

I'm fairly sure that the place disruptors shine is anti-corvette cruisers. You can hit something like 90% accuracy versus 90% evasion corvettes with medium disruptors, and corvette hp is low enough that you can chew through them at a good rate. Outside of that, disruptors are only good if *all* of your weapons bypass armor AND shields (something like arc emitters or lightning gun based fleets). As soon as you're only passing shields, switch to stuff like auto-cannons will be more effective.

Also big side benefit to late game fortresses: throw on the -disengage and -shield aura modules, and even if the platform does no damage the enemy has 20% less shields and will lose a lot more ships when your fleet is engaging them.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Are there any mods/tricks for improving performance? I've got a game in 2359 and fastest speed is running like 5 seconds/day. The games not pegging my graphics card or CPU so I really don't know what the hold up is.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

I made a thread about the Stellaris early-game AI: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/its-the-year-2221-lets-see-what-the-ai-is-doing.1088768/

It's mostly a trip report from my checking out a game in observer mode. I thought some people here may be interested in it. I'm newer at this game than most of you so please don't poop all over me. I really want Paradox to improve the AI and let's try to help!

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

pmchem posted:

I made a thread about the Stellaris early-game AI: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/its-the-year-2221-lets-see-what-the-ai-is-doing.1088768/

It's mostly a trip report from my checking out a game in observer mode. I thought some people here may be interested in it. I'm newer at this game than most of you so please don't poop all over me. I really want Paradox to improve the AI and let's try to help!

most of your points are spot-on. play with glavius AI, it solves a lot of the problems you are seeing.

(i apologize if my posts are repetitive lately but playing stellaris without glavius AI usually ends up being like playing a civ game on settler difficulty so i feel obligated to spread the word)

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Jazerus posted:

most of your points are spot-on. play with glavius AI, it solves a lot of the problems you are seeing.

(i apologize if my posts are repetitive lately but playing stellaris without glavius AI usually ends up being like playing a civ game on settler difficulty so i feel obligated to spread the word)

I will probably try that eventually but I like to play unmodded games for a while because (a) I hate players having to paper-over dev shortcomings, ala "unofficial patches" for Bethesda games fixing critical bugs, and (b) because in this case I want steam ironman achievements.

Please post in that forum thread if my points weren't terrible :)

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

pmchem posted:

Agreed, the AI is pants-on-head retarded. You have to give the AI insane bonuses for it to expand or play correctly.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So I did a hammer and anvil style fleet. 40 vettes with 5 battleships backing up.

Woof. Can't wait till there's more battleships.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
If you follow the tiles, you don't go far wrong. I'm vaguely aware that AI is fairly hard. But unless there's a real need(Or in the case of Machine Empires, who don't care about Food) it doesn't seem especially hard to say 'if there's a Mineral, use that', and so on. I mean, you can tell Sector AI to Respect Tile Resources, and it will. So why doesn't the standard AI?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I've got a battleship from the cultist event chain at the start of the game, and it was reduced to 4% hull points and is currently "disabled" at the edge of my home system. I can't seem to do anything to it nor move it to repair, and the fleet it was attached to won't repair either, even after splitting it away from the fleet. Is this a bug, if not, how do I fix it? I tried googling and people were saying to move a construction ship to it, but it's not doing anything.

edit: the rest of the fleet repairs now, but the admiral is stuck on the disabled ship and can't be removed.

edit: merged them back together, the fleet moved back to the earth starport with the disabled ship and won't repair further.

edit: nope, splitting them apart again makes the ship reappear at the edge of the system. This seems like a bug!

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Apr 13, 2018

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
[quote="Black Pants" post=""483083935"]
Also came up against a really lovely thing about the war system. A federation invaded me, and got fairly deep into my space before I was able to build up enough to fight them off. In the end I cleared them out of my empire, regained it all, and utterly shattered their navy. But because I'd taken more losses I hit 100% war exhaustion by the time they were at like 44%, and so despite winning the 'war' I was unable to do anything but cede to their demands despite the fact that I came out with a net loss of nothing; and hell, stronger than before the war with new research and such.

It was also during this time that I started really missing the 'Hey look, how about I give you these particular systems and we'll call the war off.' requests of pre-2.0. Why did that go away? Now all wars are just 'claim what I want/enact Total War, steamroll over the systems that I want, sit and wait for war exhaustion to tick up until they give me what I want.' Hell yesterday I had a war left going on that I entirely forgot about for ages because it wasn't going anywhere and they couldn't stop me but won't give up until the meter is full.
[/quote]

We’re you not able to get a status quo peace?

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Tomn posted:

We’re you not able to get a status quo peace?

Not without waiting for their war exhaustion to tick up another 30 or 40 points. I just went with it, used the good will I got from becoming suddenly goodie-two-shoes xenophile to milk trades, and then worked my way back to being xenophobe militarist. In the meantime, since I am doing the genetic ascension path, I re-enslaved my slaves by nerve stapling them, and set myself a goal to Global Pacify the homeworld of the empire that did that to me.

Speaking of weird ship troubles, I keep getting fleets that have like 6/10 of a ship (due to ships getting blown up), both in the fleet UI when you select them and in the Fleet Manager, yet they can't be reinforced because the reinforce button says the fleet is already at full strength. But if, following that example, I set the amount of that ship in the fleet to 11, it'll want to reinforce with a single ship, and so on.

Also, why the gently caress can't you remove ships that are invalid from a fleet? I made the mistake of merging some marauder ships I got into a fleet, and because they aren't things I can build I can't increase or decrease the number of them, and because they don't seem to have regular ship-types I can't retrofit them to something else. The annoying thing is that it isn't just a visual bug, they're actually taking up command limit slots, artificially reducing the amount of ships I can put into the fleet unless I split everything from the fleet and then remerge them.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Apr 13, 2018

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Black Pants posted:

Not without waiting for their war exhaustion to tick up another 30 or 40 points.

Speaking of weird ship troubles, I keep getting fleets that have like 6/10 of a ship (due to ships getting blown up), both in the fleet UI when you select them and in the Fleet Manager, yet they can't be reinforced because the reinforce button says the fleet is already at full strength. But if, following that example, I set the amount of that ship in the fleet to 11, it'll want to reinforce with a single ship, and so on.

Also, why the gently caress can't you remove ships that are invalid from a fleet? I made the mistake of merging some marauder ships I got into a fleet, and because they aren't things I can build I can't increase or decrease the number of them, and because they don't seem to have regular ship-types I can't retrofit them to something else. The annoying thing is that it isn't just a visual bug, they're actually taking up command limit slots, artificially reducing the amount of ships I can put into the fleet unless I split everything from the fleet and then remerge them.

You having 100% war exhaustion allows them to force a Status Quo peace onto you, but it shouldn't have allowed them to force you to outright cede all of their war demands.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Slashrat posted:

You having 100% war exhaustion allows them to force a Status Quo peace onto you, but it shouldn't have allowed them to force you to outright cede all of their war demands.

Really? I've never been in that bad a position before, but the tooltip said they could force a peace if I'm at high war exhaustion long enough.

Jabor posted:

They can.

A Status Quo peace.

fff

Oh well I made the best of it at least.

Getting rid of spiritualists once they pop up is a pain in the rear end though, god.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Apr 13, 2018

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Black Pants posted:

Really? I've never been in that bad a position before, but the tooltip said they could force a peace if I'm at high war exhaustion long enough.

They can.

A Status Quo peace.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Black Pants posted:

Not without waiting for their war exhaustion to tick up another 30 or 40 points. I just went with it, used the good will I got from becoming suddenly goodie-two-shoes xenophile to milk trades, and then worked my way back to being xenophobe militarist. In the meantime, since I am doing the genetic ascension path, I re-enslaved my slaves by nerve stapling them, and set myself a goal to Global Pacify the homeworld of the empire that did that to me.

Haha, it's worth noting that if they were doing an ideology war on you they could have taken and occupied every system you owned and they wouldn't have kept any territory. Ideology wars are like the absolute weakest CB since it can basically be the AI handing you a win when you switch to their ideology and join up with their federation. And like you said, you can just wiggle back into your old shoes over time pretty easily.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Black Pants posted:

Re: The fleet manager issues, there's two possibilities. The first is that they can't be reinforced because they've ALREADY been reinforced and the ships are either under construction or have already been built and are in transit to your fleet. Fleets automatically routing to reinforce don't show up on the outliner, but you can still see them mucking around on the map - try checking for that.

The other possibility is a bug that crops up now and again for some reason. Try detaching the affected ships from your fleet and remerging. If you get tiny mystery fleets showing up on your outliner after you do that, though, those were your reinforcements.

Also re: the Marauder ships, if you don't want them, why not manually disband them? Just select the fleet from the map and click the little red x over a ship icon next to the ships.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Tomn posted:

Re: The fleet manager issues, there's two possibilities. The first is that they can't be reinforced because they've ALREADY been reinforced and the ships are either under construction or have already been built and are in transit to your fleet. Fleets automatically routing to reinforce don't show up on the outliner, but you can still see them mucking around on the map - try checking for that.

The other possibility is a bug that crops up now and again for some reason. Try detaching the affected ships from your fleet and remerging. If you get tiny mystery fleets showing up on your outliner after you do that, though, those were your reinforcements.

Also re: the Marauder ships, if you don't want them, why not manually disband them? Just select the fleet from the map and click the little red x over a ship icon next to the ships.

Sorry I forgot to mention the marauder ships are long gone, died years ago, stuck with like '0/4' in the fleet manager, but still taking up fleet space because it's still expecting them to be there. All buttons except for 'retrofit' are greyed out, and the retrofit button has no options to choose from on the left-hand pane. Yeah these are both fixable by splitting ships and remerging them but that's a pain in the rear end.

Basically you can't increase or decrease the amount of a ship that doesn't 'exist'. And as the only way of removing a ship type from a fleet is by reducing its amount in the fleet to zero, things get stuck.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Apr 13, 2018

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

Can I add mods to games that I've already started? The gravius ai mod for example?

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Olewithmilk posted:

Can I add mods to games that I've already started? The gravius ai mod for example?

That should be fine. Some mods work best with new games, ones like name lists or ones that add new technologies. The AI mod should start working regardless of when it's installed, however.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Ugh, even with me using the custom difficulty mod to boost their resource and combat bonuses beyond the vanilla games restraints, not even the monster Awakened Fallen Empire is doing poo poo apart from making bigger fleets with bigger power numbers. I want some wars to pop off, goddammit, and not just stomps by the local friendlies on the unlucky rear end in a top hat empires that caught a face full of Great Khan.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
I'm playing on Admiral using no AI mods (or mods in general for that matter), and the AI doesn't have any issues expanding, properly developing their planets and waging war in any of my games. Granted I'm not a very good player so I'm probably not demolishing them the way more experienced players do, but since the 2.02 beta finished and they sorted the food shortage death spiral I haven't seen the AI be outright incapable of playing anymore. I do play with 2x tech costs, but apart from that it's pretty vanilla.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

How do I use the fleet manager? I tried but I just make a huge mess, help :ohdear:

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

TorakFade posted:

How do I use the fleet manager? I tried but I just make a huge mess, help :ohdear:

you preplan your fleets by adding designs to a fleet and setting numbers, so when you lose any in fights you can click 'reinforce' and it'll bring itself back up to the designed composition automatically

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

Your good vision is your fatal weakness!

TorakFade posted:

Only use the manager to build and set numbers. Building directly from a starbase will throw a wrench into things.