Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
tbf the Sharingan only gives you cool powers like once you get to the point where you have suffered an emotional trauma to obtain the initial version, a mild one to go from 2 to 3(2 requires training) and then massive emotional trauma and obtained the Mangekyo, where if you are careless and dumb, you lose your eyesight, then the only way to regain said eyesight is to kill a family member who has also been strong enough to get to the point where they suffer an intense trauma to obtain theirs kill them and then do magic eye surgery to merge(replace?) your eyes with theirs.

The three tomoe version is still just prediction(all be it at a high level) where if something is faster than you, or not part of a human body's normal reaction, you couldn't trace it, and or couldn't do poo poo about it.

It isn't until you get into the high level poo poo that you start gaining powers, and isn't' until the even higher level poo poo where it becomes remotely useful on your own. Sasuke spammed Amataseru and Susanoo for one day and went completely blind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Doesn’t base sharingon take obito from useless to competent. That’s impressive.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
It allows tracking and allows you to see chakra (not the pathways just see a mass of chakra)

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

The base Sharingan also lets you perfectly copy Jutsu/movement after a single look so long as you are capable of making the movements.

It’s technically less powerful than the Byakugan but Kakashi knowing 1000 jutsu is because of it, which makes it more versatile if you can see the enough jutsu.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Lord_Magmar posted:

The base Sharingan also lets you perfectly copy Jutsu/movement after a single look so long as you are capable of making the movements.

It’s technically less powerful than the Byakugan but Kakashi knowing 1000 jutsu is because of it, which makes it more versatile if you can see the enough jutsu.

Yeah, but he only uses like 5 ever, which makes it seem like all the other ones he copied were trash he learned so he could brag about knowing over 900 ways to dry a wet dog.

dudermcbrohan
May 14, 2013
also like the most powerful sharingan techniques (izanagi, izanami) cost the whole eye so while they’re still mild BS there’s still some sense of balance

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

dudermcbrohan posted:

also like the most powerful sharingan techniques (izanagi, izanami) cost the whole eye so while they’re still mild BS there’s still some sense of balance

Eternal Mangyeko fixes this as far as I remember, it's just that nobody with Izanagi and Izanami ever got an eternal Mangyeko.

Also Kakashi only ever using 5 is a failing of the narrative and the series as a whole, because Kakashi as this laid-back dude who in a fight has a different answer for every situation is actually a great character idea for making interesting fights that aren't just bigger Rasengan or more dangerous Chidori/Raikiri, or whatever the latest busted thing is.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
kakashi as a versatile and tricky opponent would only work if he had more stamina than an asthmatic 10 year old. he only lasts for like 5 minutes, max, so he always had to go for the big one-shot move.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
The Sharingan does instantly make you better at genjutsu, for whatever that is worth.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Lord_Magmar posted:

Eternal Mangyeko fixes this as far as I remember, it's just that nobody with Izanagi and Izanami ever got an eternal Mangyeko.

Nah not even Eternal gets over the Eye cost for Izanagi and Izanami.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Evolving your sharingan to a rinnegan does make the eye capable of sight and techniques again though, so maybe the rinnegan can use them without penalty?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Rinnegan gives you new different abilities.

Eternal MS just negates the blindness from the original mangekyo.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Dexo posted:

Rinnegan gives you new different abilities.

Eternal MS just negates the blindness from the original mangekyo.

I thought EMS also makes your Susanoo better. At the very least, Sasuke's Susanoo changed its appearance when he got EMS.

While we're on the subject of eye powers, I find it interesting that each of them is themed after a different religion: Shinto for the Sharingan, Buddhism for the Rinnegan, and Taoism for the Byakugan. Although Sasuke's Amenotejikara breaks the trend by being named after a Shinto deity despite being a Rinnegan power.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Apr 14, 2018

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Oh yeah I forgot the EMS gave you a more powerful Susano

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

kakashi as a versatile and tricky opponent would only work if he had more stamina than an asthmatic 10 year old. he only lasts for like 5 minutes, max, so he always had to go for the big one-shot move.

To be fair this is because he has a poor interaction with his implanted Sharingan, as he actually can't turn it off so unless he keeps it covered it just drains chakra really fast, and I guess he can't repeat copied moves without having it uncovered at which point he's already being serious so why not use his big ender moves.

Again though I think it's a shame Kakashi didn't end up being this very competent jutsu master who always has the best, or at least an, option for any situation and that's why he's so dangerous. Whereas Gai is dangerous because he has mastered one specific thing to the point that he is the best there ever was at it.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Dexo posted:

Oh yeah I forgot the EMS gave you a more powerful Susano

It does not. Sasuke just evolved his Susano as he became stronger.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

MonsterEnvy posted:

It does not. Sasuke just evolved his Susano as he became stronger.

poo poo yeah it was his hatred that evolved his susanoo. He got the bow susanoo against Danzo when danzou mentionef Itachi right?

I should re-read this dumb series one slow day.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Basically Sharingan is the super saiyan of ninja power.

Kintamarama
Oct 3, 2013
Just saw the last episode. Are they recycling the animation from the movie, or did they completely redo it? I haven't seen the movie for a while, but a lot of the beats seemed similar.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Kintamarama posted:

Just saw the last episode. Are they recycling the animation from the movie, or did they completely redo it? I haven't seen the movie for a while, but a lot of the beats seemed similar.

redoing it. they added a character that was cut for time in the movie, and have more characters (the 3 girls team, and the Lee, Denki, other dude's team.) who are probably gonna figure into it.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Which is probably for the best anyway seeing as that movie Boruto and series Boruto are almost two completely different characters at this point.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Dexo posted:

redoing it. they added a character that was cut for time in the movie, and have more characters (the 3 girls team, and the Lee, Denki, other dude's team.) who are probably gonna figure into it.

What character was cut from the movie as someone who didn't see it?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

I dunno will find out when the anime gets there

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Oh right, I presumed you'd already noticed a character included in this episode who wasn't in the movie. I presume you mean the villain MonsterEnvy noted as being included a page back then? Also, will the conversation between those two Otsutsuki guys on the Moon make sense at some point within the arc? Or am I supposed to know what they were on about already? Cause that poo poo lost me. I didn't read the end of Naruto though, so if it's referencing that then that would be why I suppose.

Tarodia
Jan 13, 2008

Winners don't do drugs
The moon guy that got frozen was the villain from The Last

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, that's the only Naruto movie I'm aware of that's actually canon to the series. Though Road to Ninja did get two episodes promoting it as well as a callback later in Shippuden but doesn't really have any bearing on the plot of the show itself.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Is The Last worth a watch then? Or is just knowing that he was a former villain and appears to care about Boruto now enough on it's own?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

tsob posted:

Is The Last worth a watch then? Or is just knowing that he was a former villain and appears to care about Boruto now enough on it's own?

It does a decent job of establishing the Naruto/Hinata relationship. It has a few elements that are a bit silly, but I liked it overall.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Larryb posted:

I swear, this show is basically the Anti-Dragon Ball GT with the anime writers seeming to have a better handle on the characters than Kishimoto did. It's leagues better than Shippuden at the very least.

The show might even be the Anti-Dragon Ball Super with how it adapts the movie.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Mraagvpeine posted:

The show might even be the Anti-Dragon Ball Super with how it adapts the movie.

True, it's already better just by virtue of the first episode of the arc. Hopefully it'll keep this momentum up for the rest. Speaking of which, I'm curious if they'll keep making actual movies during Boruto's run or if we're done with that after Shippuden (though to be fair, a lot of the Naruto movies were kind of hit or miss).

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Larryb posted:

True, it's already better just by virtue of the first episode of the arc. Hopefully it'll keep this momentum up for the rest. Speaking of which, I'm curious if they'll keep making actual movies during Boruto's run or if we're done with that after Shippuden (though to be fair, a lot of the Naruto movies were kind of hit or miss).

I think I saw one of the first naruto movies, and I refuse to believe even a single one of them is a hit.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Mymla posted:

I think I saw one of the first naruto movies, and I refuse to believe even a single one of them is a hit.

From what I remember, Road to Ninja and The Last were decent enough and Blood Prison was ok (also the ending theme of the 3rd movie in the original series is still probably one of my favorite tracks in the entire franchise, a pity about the rest of the film though). But yeah fair point, overall they were mediocre at best and I wouldn't care if they never made another one (they were pretty formulaic as well, with the final blow nearly always being some kind of souped-up Rasengan).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Apr 14, 2018

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

tsob posted:

Oh right, I presumed you'd already noticed a character included in this episode who wasn't in the movie. I presume you mean the villain MonsterEnvy noted as being included a page back then? Also, will the conversation between those two Otsutsuki guys on the Moon make sense at some point within the arc? Or am I supposed to know what they were on about already? Cause that poo poo lost me. I didn't read the end of Naruto though, so if it's referencing that then that would be why I suppose.

The Otsutsuki guy that got Frozen was the villain of the last. The guy that attacked him and froze him is the villain that was cut from the movie for time.

Kintamarama
Oct 3, 2013

Dexo posted:

Most of points the in the show that were the same in the movie were noticeably different i.e. tech guy talking to Naruto in his office and the Burger shop scene, but parts of Himawari's birthday party seemed like they were straight copy pastad around the new parts. The part where Boruto answers the door when Sasuke drops by for example seemed like it was just spliced in from the movie.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Kintamarama posted:

Most of points the in the show that were the same in the movie were noticeably different i.e. tech guy talking to Naruto in his office and the Burger shop scene, but parts of Himawari's birthday party seemed like they were straight copy pastad around the new parts. The part where Boruto answers the door when Sasuke drops by for example seemed like it was just spliced in from the movie.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure there were still a few reused bits of animation here and there but otherwise they more or less seem to be remaking the movie from scratch.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Apr 15, 2018

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Mymla posted:

The Two I watched ended up being okay, but whether that's me being stupid and young or them actually holding up I could not say. I recall liking Princess in the Land of Snow and Power of Gelel. At least I think that's the names.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
So a page back someone said that the reason Boruto realizes that the Naruto at Himawara's birthday party is a clone in the movie is because it trips while carrying the cake, causing it to disappear but in the episode it just seems to disappear for no reason. He doesn't trip or anything, he just disappears in a puff and the cake drops. Which made me think that Naruto was in a serious enough fight he was recalling clones to ensure his chakra was centralized, which adds a note of worry to the drama Boruto kicks off. Reading back I may be mistaken, but did they change that part too, or was the disappearance of the clone that sudden in the movie too?

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

tsob posted:

So a page back someone said that the reason Boruto realizes that the Naruto at Himawara's birthday party is a clone in the movie is because it trips while carrying the cake, causing it to disappear but in the episode it just seems to disappear for no reason. He doesn't trip or anything, he just disappears in a puff and the cake drops. Which made me think that Naruto was in a serious enough fight he was recalling clones to ensure his chakra was centralized, which adds a note of worry to the drama Boruto kicks off. Reading back I may be mistaken, but did they change that part too, or was the disappearance of the clone that sudden in the movie too?

I'm pretty sure it was the same in the movie. He could have been in a fight, but I don't think that was even implied in the movie, so I always assumed it just disappeared because Naruto was hella overworked.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Mymla posted:

I'm pretty sure it was the same in the movie. He could have been in a fight, but I don't think that was even implied in the movie, so I always assumed it just disappeared because Naruto was hella overworked.

Ah, I had initially assumed that something happened to cause the clone to disappear but then again I've only seen the Boruto movie once so I could have been mistaken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it'd be better if it was because he was in a fight somewhere instead of doing deeply important paperwork that he couldn't possibly leave for an hour, along with the clone popping in the dumbest way imaginable.