Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBv_jNG9ck0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

spog posted:

I hope she got an F from you.

he can't fail all his students

5er
Jun 1, 2000

ekuNNN posted:

That can't be right?

Only thing left for this guy to do, is to do it on a hoverboard, like that lazy assed Catholic priest.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

hobbesmaster posted:

he can't fail all his students

I've had professors that'd disagree with that.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Charles posted:

Ouch... I hope everybody's okay.

An even more pants making GBS threads view from the place next door to it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WLmCJfO5gE

The building it hit was a two century old building. RIP.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

duz posted:

I've had professors that'd disagree with that.

Professors actually get in a lot of trouble if they go through with it.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Synthbuttrange posted:

An even more pants making GBS threads view from the place next door to it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WLmCJfO5gE

The building it hit was a two century old building. RIP.

"I'm sorry sir, you still need a reservation to sit on the patio, I'll have to ask you to leave"

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

cakesmith handyman posted:

Please specify these toxins and how a reduced heart rate prevents your liver and kidneys from effectively dealing with them.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5650477/

The early mechanisms likely involve a reduction in nitric oxide (NO) synthesis and bioavailability that is largely the result of oxidative stress and endogenous inhibition of endothelial NO synthase (eNOS) (21).

(Oxidative stress is a result of free radicals from metabolic byproducts)

Pathological levels of the free radical superoxide (O2−) are capable of rapidly reacting with NO to form the secondary radical peroxynitrite (ONOO−), reducing the overall bioavailability of NO available for vasodilation. This mechanism appears to contribute to the oxidative stress mediated suppression of endothelial function in CKD

(Superoxide is a mitochondrial metabolic byproduct)

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

ekuNNN posted:

That can't be right?

CHEM-LAWN! COMING THROUGH!

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

theflyingexecutive posted:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5650477/

The early mechanisms likely involve a reduction in nitric oxide (NO) synthesis and bioavailability that is largely the result of oxidative stress and endogenous inhibition of endothelial NO synthase (eNOS) (21).

(Oxidative stress is a result of free radicals from metabolic byproducts)

Note that nitric oxide is itself a free radical.

Phanatic posted:

"Antioxidant," like "free radical," is just a broad classification that tells you little. Antioxidants that eat a free radical that was going to damage your DNA are good, but those same antioxidants could also eat up the nitric oxide molecules that themselves protect your cells from damage and oxidative stress, and wind up causing cancer.

That paper says that if you've got CKD, then you're getting some endothelial dysfunction, which increases your risk for CVD. Nitric oxide is a potent vasodilator, and if you're producing less of it you're more likely to get CVD. The paper further says that aerobic exercise can restore some of that lost endothelial dysfunction.

This paper does does not say that endothelial dysfunction or CKD are caused by poor circulation that results from assal horizontology meaning you don't filter toxins from your blood. It's the CKD that's causing the elevation in ROS, not the other way around: "Oxidative stress is characterized by a disproportionate increase in cellular reactive oxygen species (ROS) relative to endogenous antioxidant defenses, and is a key mechanism in the early pathogenesis of endothelial dysfunction in patients with mild-to-moderate CKD."

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

When I was playing hockey and super fit I had a resting heart rate of something like 50 bpm. My blood was basically just sitting still! Being fat and out of shape is much better for keeping the blood moving along.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

No that’s basically how it works. Reduced aerobic activity leads to reduced endothelial muscle tone leads to reduced renal clearance. Your blood gets “stale” and full of toxins

What, exactly, is “endothelial muscle”?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

drgitlin posted:

What, exactly, is “endothelial muscle”?

The smooth muscle in your arteries, arterioles, and capillaries that mediates blood flow

And yes I was definitely talking about a low resting bpm

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

The smooth muscle in your arteries, arterioles, and capillaries that mediates blood flow

And yes I was definitely talking about a low resting bpm

Take it from someone who’s PhD was on crosstalk between vasodilator pathways, and who then spent six years in cardiovascular research: this is factually incorrect. You have endothelial cells, which are the ones that line blood vessels, and you have smooth muscle cells, which are the ones directly below the endothelium. But there is absolutely no such thing as an “endothelial muscle.”

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

glynnenstein posted:

When I was playing hockey and super fit I had a resting heart rate of something like 50 bpm. My blood was basically just sitting still! Being fat and out of shape is much better for keeping the blood moving along.

This is the new Presidential Physical Fitness standard.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Platystemon posted:

This is the new Presidential Physical Fitness standard.

why does it have an unread discord notification on it

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Here's an OSHA-adjacent photo from a friend.

The cable internet installer basically went "yep, that's done. Conduit? Never heard of him."

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Memento posted:

Here's an OSHA-adjacent photo from a friend.

The cable internet installer basically went "yep, that's done. Conduit? Never heard of him."

Not for nothing, but an uninterrupted line of coaxial cable is as weatherproof as it can get, it's the splices and terminations that need protecting.

Hard to tell what applies based on one picture, though.

drgitlin posted:

But there is absolutely no such thing as an "endothelial muscle."

Could it simply be a referral to the entirety of the disparate endothelial aspects without being overly technical?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Mistle posted:

Not for nothing, but an uninterrupted line of coaxial cable is as weatherproof as it can get, it's the splices and terminations that need protecting.

Weatherproof is one thing, but that's just hanging from its brackets in a common area, accessible to anyone. It's a high turnover area with lots of students - some drunk business major is going to come along one night and see how far they can pull it out from the wall before it breaks.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

why does it have an unread discord notification on it

sometimes the client just bugs out and you cant clear the notif, it drives me up the wall

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

drgitlin posted:

Take it from someone who’s PhD was on crosstalk between vasodilator pathways, and who then spent six years in cardiovascular research: this is factually incorrect. You have endothelial cells, which are the ones that line blood vessels, and you have smooth muscle cells, which are the ones directly below the endothelium. But there is absolutely no such thing as an “endothelial muscle.”

Now do "toxins" in the blood.

Bacon Taco
Jun 8, 2006

Now with extra narwhal meat!
HAIKOOLIGAN
Dinosaur Gum

drgitlin posted:

Ah, the intima. You must have loved the St. Jude Symmetry product, and more particularly its applicator. Those things were OSHA in their own right, and if I can find what I'm looking for I will :justpost:

Bina
Dec 28, 2011

Love Deluxe

ekuNNN posted:

That can't be right?

Miracle-Gro! :downsrim:

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

drgitlin posted:

yes I know this, I wrote “endothelial muscle” as shorthand for “smooth muscle colocated with endothelial tissue”. I studied neural vasculature at the school where NO was discovered :shrug:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I have a heart, so there.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-_QxNc__MA

I'm pretty sure no-one died.

vvv: the thing that the guy walks up to and inspects appears to be a bit of blasted off tanker. Well, he could be a psychopath, I guess.

IPCRESS fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Apr 13, 2018

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Then why aren't they moving?

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Mistle posted:

Could it simply be a referral to the entirety of the disparate endothelial aspects without being overly technical?

No. Since this is the OSHA thread, it would be like someone saying “chainsaw nails”. The words he was looking for were “blood vessels”.

Endothelial cells are one thing, smooth muscle cells are a completely different thing.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

yes I know this, I wrote “endothelial muscle” as shorthand for “smooth muscle colocated with endothelial tissue”. I studied neural vasculature at the school where NO was discovered :shrug:

Then you ought to know better. :science: FYI my PhD supervisor was one of John Vane’s students, did a postdoc in Murad’s lab, worked a lot with Moncada, and is one of the leading experts on NO.

I might be one of the last people trained to do classical bioassays with cascades of perfused tissues like in the old days. Those were fiddly buggers to set up.

Edit: this might have come across as ruder than I intended. For that I apologize.

drgitlin fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Apr 13, 2018

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

5er posted:

Only thing left for this guy to do, is to do it on a hoverboard, like that lazy assed Catholic priest.

just get a sprinkler system and bless that if you're going to be lazy don't halfass it

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
From the Crappy Construction thread in DIY:

kid sinister posted:

Crappy construction in progress!

Oddly enough, he does have earplugs.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
"chainsaw nails" sounds like it's own kind of OSHA.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
The best band names always do

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Dagen H posted:

From the Crappy Construction thread in DIY:

Can't squint your ears.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

IPCRESS posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-_QxNc__MA

I'm pretty sure no-one died.

vvv: the thing that the guy walks up to and inspects appears to be a bit of blasted off tanker. Well, he could be a psychopath, I guess.

"You guys get the valve open yet? Ah, yep, looks, like it, good job."

chitoryu12 posted:

Then why aren't they moving?

Shoes still on as far as I can tell.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/xEVi4Do.mp4

This sawdust cannon is a nice reminder of how incredibly dangerous particle explosions are.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
More fire stuff. I just found out about this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darvaza_gas_crater

I knew about the Centralia mine fire and other coal fires, but it never clicked in my head that other hydrocarbon sites could catch fire and burn forever.*

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

PhazonLink posted:

More fire stuff. I just found out about this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darvaza_gas_crater

I knew about the Centralia mine fire and other coal fires, but it never clicked in my head that other hydrocarbon sites could catch fire and burn forever.*

Australia's got Burning Mountain, a coal seam fire like Centralia that they estimate has been going for 6,000 years.

I think there's one in Germany that's been going since the 1500s or something, too.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Venture county has three underground tar/oil fires. Speaking of underground fires...

Burning underground coal may have the worst mass extinction on earth.
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/climate-consensus-97-per-cent/2018/mar/12/burning-coal-may-have-caused-earths-worst-mass-extinction

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
https://i.imgur.com/qwUnjR3.mp4