Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Libby was saved by Chris being an idiot, which was amazing considering she had that talk with Jenna about him being loyal. And he ended up jumping on his own sword and she got saved.

Would have been lovely to see if Angela/Des voted for Chris, and either he gets ousted in an unanimous 12-0 vote, or he plays his idol and we suddenly have 10 people (everyone except Chris, Dom and Kellyn) drawing rocks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Presumably that might have been why Desi and Angela voted the way they did. To avoid the "no votes" rock situation.

In retrospect that Libby/Jenna conversation about how they trust Chris more than Dom is so funny considering how little say they actually had in the vote. I kind of imagine them going around to people saying "So Chris or Dom because I think Dom is..." and just getting back "Chris. We're voting out Chris."

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

ApplesandOranges posted:

Libby was saved by Chris being an idiot, which was amazing considering she had that talk with Jenna about him being loyal. And he ended up jumping on his own sword and she got saved.

Would have been lovely to see if Angela/Des voted for Chris, and either he gets ousted in an unanimous 12-0 vote, or he plays his idol and we suddenly have 10 people (everyone except Chris, Dom and Kellyn) drawing rocks.

They'd get a chance to do a re-vote first if Chris nullified every vote, it wouldn't go to rocks.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

bbf2 posted:

They'd get a chance to do a re-vote first if Chris nullified every vote, it wouldn't go to rocks.

I'm assuming Chris also gets to vote on the re-vote (following Cambodia rules), not that he even gets a vote on the re-vote. So it'd be twelve votes, probably split between Wendell and Libby. I think Libby just barely goes home 7-5: Naviti votes her, while Malolo votes Wendell, and Chris can't help to oust Wendell.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

STAC Goat posted:

I think Laurel gunning for Domenick/Wendell right now would be a mistake. It feels like Zeke making his move against Andrea. Its really early and you're targeting an ally in a big way that's going to expose you as a player and untrustworthy. Big moves like that rarely work out this early. Its why I worry that Dom-Wendell are going to be obvious targets now since that tends to be how it goes at this stage of the game.

Laurel's problem might work itself out if Dominick and Wendell are targets after taking down Chris. But I think her move right now is to try and encourage them to target Kellyn, Angela, or maybe Sebastian as threats. Try and keep as many Mololos around, maybe try and flip Sebastian using Jenna, and see if you can work numbers to have the leverage over Dom and Wendell a few votes down the line. And of course the tribal lines are fluid and a few votes down the line Laurel might have all the numbers she needs.

I just don't think its the right move to take a big shot this early, especially against your own allies. Zeke. Zeke. Zeke. You gotta pick your shot.

Yep, pretty much this.

Dom and Wendell are going to be obvious targets by default. I think Libby will be as well with all the attention she's been getting. I would guess original Naviti plus Laurel/Donathan and minus Seb go for her, while Libby/Jenna/Mike/Seb go for one of Dom/Wendell. The four Naviti women seem like the swingvotes at this point, and judging by their conversation, it wouldn't be surprising to see them to team with the former and take out Libby/Michael.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I think part of it is that I feel like it would be really bad for Laurel/Don to take out Libby; they need the original Malolo's numbers more than Dom/Wendell. So if the original Naviti aren't going to budge and Dom/Wendell/Michael won't use their idols, their best bet to preserve numbers is to just take out a weaker mid-link in Dom/Wendell with their five votes. It's what Aubry/Cydney did in Koah Rong.

Ideal situation for them would be to oust Kellyn or Desiree (since they're the most Naviti-strong).

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Something to remember is that Kellyn is at least nominally working with Michael from their time in Malolo. He's no dummy and the relationships he formed with her and Bradley kept him in the game. I'll be surprised if he doesn't work that angle at some point.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Chris is a terrible rapper but I love his pantomiming.

I thought the 50/50 game was a stupid risk and then Chris completely blew it. Cursed idols are real.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Chris is a terrible rapper but I love his pantomiming.

I thought the 50/50 game was a stupid risk and then Chris completely blew it. Cursed idols are real.

curses are real but stupidity is forever

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Not playing an idol that's good at one of two TCs is, mathematically, not quite as dumb as James not playing one of two idols good at three TCs,

but,,,

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
James' move was also dumb but you could kinda buy it if you think he was gonna make a big double idol play, and he had no clue that his name was on the chopping block.

Chris, however, knew that he was in danger. That's Brenda-esque level of 'I have faith in my alliance, though'.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, the biggest difference between James and Chris is that James got blindsided while Chris knew people were gunning for him. If Amanda and Todd were targeting him in Tribal, James was targeting Todd, and Todd pulled out an idol I'm pretty sure James would have used his idol. Its the full context that makes Chris so, so, so stupid.

The other big difference is that James' reaction to being blindsided was to laugh at himself and realize how stupid and funny it was. Having just listened to Chris' exit interview he is still justifying and rationalizing his decision and not realizing he screwed up.

I also learned that Chris takes his rapping very seriously and is really upset at Wendell's "classless" remarks. Also he's really betrayed by Donathan because he connected with him in a unique way of what its like being a gay man in Kentucky? Huh? Chris suuuuuuuucks, but in the way I love to watch egomaniacs fall in Survivor.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Hahahahahahahahahahhahahaha

RIP Chris, died as he lived, being an incredible dipshit.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Really glad Chris was too dumb to play his idol that was only good for 2 tribals... Nice to get that story line out of the way for some different ones.
Yeah, basically. Entertaining guy but probably about time to get his exit out of the way.

When he was playing that game I was thinking the entire time, this dude needs to lose immediately for his own sake or he's 100% gonna walk out with the idol in his pocket. Sure enough, even having it for one more tribal was too tempting for him.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Seriously, if anyone listens to Chris' RHAP exit interview and understands why Chris feels he connected with Donathan I'd really appreciate you explaining it to me.

I mean, I know its just that Chris is such an egomaniac he can't imagine that his attempts to connect with Donathan didn't form deep loyalty and respect. But his rationalizations were so confusing and jumbled that for a second I thought Chris had come out in that interview.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Chris also thinks he's a good rapper, soooooooooo

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I think by the time he got to Rob's interview, Chris was still hilariously unaware of how people see him but he at least got the talking points down from the previous ones and knew that not playing the idol was "stupid" and to play off his budding rap career as a joke. I almost didn't want to listen to it because I figured it would be more of the same, and it was. At least Bradley backpedals like the good little lawyer he wants to be.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, the impression I got was that he very much learned nothing between his getting voted out and last night's episode. He made it sound like he had just learned what actually happened last night and talked about it like it had just happened a few hours ago and that he needed time to make peace with it. That actually confused me for a moment before I realized he was talking about the episode itself and that he just must have spent all the time since it actually happened stuck in his delusion of what happened. He only learned how much everyone disliked him and he got clowned the same way and time we did.

Which is kind of remarkable since it means he goes through Ponderosa, Final Tribal, and the time since without ever really talking about it with other castmates. Or maybe he did and just heard what he wanted to. He knew he had to defend his game moves, he just didn't know why.

Also he was really reeling from the Wendell burn.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

i think Wendell's vote speech shook Chris to his core and given what he was like on the show, that hasnt happened before

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I get the impression Chris has just managed to go through most of his life not realized some people didn't like him or see him as the golden god he saw himself rear end. So Wendell clowning him so clearly (and people loving it) just is totally messing with his head.

Fast Luck posted:

Yeah, basically. Entertaining guy but probably about time to get his exit out of the way.
To paraphrase Fishbauch he's a terrible Survivor player but a great Survivor character.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

STAC Goat posted:

Final Tribal

Is Chris part of the jury? I don't recall if Probst mentioned it or not.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Lone Goat posted:

Is Chris part of the jury? I don't recall if Probst mentioned it or not.

He's the first in Ponderosa so I'd assume he's in Jury.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Yeah Jeff definitely said it. I linked his Ponderosa video.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Yea, Jeff said first member of our jury. So, looking at 10 jurors and with it being ghost island and all, I'm sure 1 of them will get voted off the jury before the end...

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It could be 11 and 2.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
that episode was a hell of a thing, but it was great. this season is turning out to be pretty decent. honestly this was the perfect culmination of the Dom vs Chris arc. Chris gets guaranteed safety, then risks his vote to make it last longer, but just long enough to where he doesn't play it and then gets voted out. in his first tribal. and then Wendell with maybe the best vote confessional in a long time. any longer on the Dom/Chris thing would have been too much, so i really don't think it could have ended any better.

hoping Wendell can pull off the whole thing, but he's definitely going to be a target soon, if not now.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

What might help Wendell is if Dom remains a bigger threat than him. It will be curious to see what the tribe makes of his idol situation. He's wearing a clearly fake one. He's waving around an apparently legit idol note. He's pulling out a Legacy Idol. I can't imagine anyone on that tribe except maybe Wendell has a clear idea of whether or not Dom has one still and that's gotta be scary.

Of course, that does set Wendell up for the "well, vote out his idol and flush the idol" situation. But Wendell does have his own idol to counter that if he can read it.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
i still don't fully understand what Dom's intent was with the fake idol, cause didn't he make it after he found the real one? so.. you're making someone think you have an idol which you DO have?

the only thing i can think of is that he could give the shell to someone to make them feel safe or for trust.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, he did an interview where he seemed to kind of imply that he just felt really pressured to prove his loyalty to Chris and when Chris demanded to see his idol he was worried Chris would demand he gave it to him at some point. So he made the fake one to potentially pawn off on Chris.

I think that's the best sense I can make of it. He seems to acknowledge during much of the interview that his early antics were all really wild and stupid and it took him awhile to settle in. The sense I get is that working with Wendell and to a lesser extent Laurel, Donathan, Morgan, and Chelsea has helped him settle in by giving him a peer(s) to bounce ideas off of and keep from spiraling into wackiness like he seemed to do early on.

http://ew.com/tv/2018/04/10/survivor-domenick-abbate-merge-interview/2/

quote:

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: You found a real hidden immunity idol and then made a fake idol to try to confuse Chris. After all the trouble and backtracking that caused, was the fake idol play worth it?
DOMENICK ABBATE: This is a tricky one. I will admit that some of my antics in the beginning of the game came off as very erratic and wild. I absolutely agree with that statement. But like I said, Chris really confused me. I tried so many different tactics to win Chris over but nothing was working. And winning Chris over was so important to me because even though it is not shown, Chris and his big voice was very influential at camp. Don’t get me wrong, Chris can be very ridiculous at times, but I remember the first night in the shelter, Chris had everybody laughing with his rapping and his stories. From my perspective, Chris was really entertaining to have at camp, he was super motivational going into challenges and he was a huge meat shield for so many players. So it was critical that I be a part of that circle, but unfortunately, that never panned out.

So you heard Chris say to me, “If you show me that you have an idol, we can make something happen together.” So, I went to work on making the fake idol. Now everybody is asking, “Why show him a fake idol with the real idol document?” I know it’s wacky, but I knew if I showed Chris an idol (real or fake) he was smart enough to know it should have come with documentation. But I also didn’t show him the real idol because I believed Chris was very ballsy and was definitely going to put me to the test at some point and ask me to give him the idol. And there was no way in hell I was handing over my real idol to him. So was it worth it? Absolutely not. Would I ever do anything like that again? Most likely, yes!

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Apr 13, 2018

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Chris Noble has given us as television viewers so much more than we deserve. He has fulfilled every hope I had for him in the preseason and then some. He was Chris Noble for every second he graced our screens and he never pretended to be otherwise. He is possibly the best example I've ever seen of a Lovable Douchebag. Insanely overconfident and in love with himself, yet this confidence does not come at the expense of others. Chris Noble does not need to put others down to feel tall. Chris Noble is very tall already. Chris Noble has no hate for anyone. Chris Noble has only love. Love mostly for himself, but also some for you, as well, if you want it.

What a legend. I think I'm looking forward to next week's new Ponderosa now more than the actual episode.

aidoru
Oct 24, 2010

Chris was great because watching the others react to him talk about how well-liked he was is peak television.

But when that fourth parchment with his name came up...

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Sincerely, its gotta gently caress with a person's head to go through your entire life thinking you're the absolute poo poo and then suddenly go on a TV show where you can see everyone making faces at you while you talk.

Like I hate Chris but I do agree he doesn't come off as mean spirited the way Bradley does. Chris is just deeply in love with himself and naturally assumes everyone else is too.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
To be perfectly fair, a lot of everything in this show is edited to be more exaggerated than it is. They spend hours getting reaction shots in those tribals.

Players have mentioned numerous times some scenes are taken from completely different TC cycles. Tony once had his buff color changed from post-merge to pre-merge colors so they could have it the episode before.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Sure, things are amped up and edited for maximum drama and storytelling.

But its no magic trick that people made faces behind Chris' back, mocked his self importance routinely, and all agreed to blindside him including the people he thought were his friends all while Wendell and Dom basically did a dance on his grave. And viewers loved it.

Like "its edited" is fair but also they can only edit what you give them. The image we got of Chris matches what other cast members are saying and the image he's giving off in post show interviews and videos. I'm sure there were also moments like the Donathan one or Sebastian ones where he connected with people. Dom says in that interview that Chris was seen as a genuine tribe leader at first which is why he felt so pressured to get him on the side with that idol nonsense.

edit: I'm also kind of skeptical about Survivors like Tony claiming that things are heavily out of context. I'm not saying it doesn't happen. I'm sure it does. But I also don't put it past someone like Tony to lie or misremember things that fit his narrative better and a lot of Survivors come out of the show claiming to have had way better games than as seen on TV. I'm sure there's some truth to that but I'm also sure there's some spin.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Apr 13, 2018

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
While watching older seasons recently I realized that the tribal council music has changed in the later years. Any reason for the change?

I really liked Second Changes. Now I'm watching Game Changers.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

Adus posted:

i still don't fully understand what Dom's intent was with the fake idol, cause didn't he make it after he found the real one? so.. you're making someone think you have an idol which you DO have?

the only thing i can think of is that he could give the shell to someone to make them feel safe or for trust.

It was just a Dumb Thing, especially given Dom's rationale in that interview that he was worried Chris would like...what, bully/Rasputin his way into making Dom hand over the idol? Its just so silly. Don't fuckin tell people about your idols!

I mean, maybe he's off the hook now. He could just toss the bullshit fake idol and make people think it was "tied" to the legacy advantage, but obviously that timeline doesn't work with him having told Chris about his current idol before Morgan got voted out, and it doesn't explain the legit idol paper he showed to Chris along with the fake idol. Did Chris tell everybody else about the paper? I don't remember.

It was all just so needlessly complicated. Dom's best bet now is to just slink into the shadows the best he can and let other targets like Wendell, Libby and Mike start taking some of the heat. Namely, he needs to ferret out Des and Angela for having voted for Libby and find a way to manufacture beef between those two groups.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

clown shoes posted:

While watching older seasons recently I realized that the tribal council music has changed in the later years. Any reason for the change?

I really liked Second Changes. Now I'm watching Game Changers.

Second Chances is a fantastic season. It's got a bunch of great characters, a heartwarming winner and I still see it as the pinnacle of gameplay.

drat, now I want to rewatch Second Chances.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

He tried to explain away the idol letter as a piece of tree mail he just passed off. I assume he just didn't show anyone else it but I don't know.

He told Wendell and I think Laurel and Donathan that he really did have an idol. I don't think he told anyone else and just tried to pass it off with the fake idol/tree mail thing.

I don't know. It's a mess and the Legacy advantage probably just makes it more confusing. I can easily see everyone coming back from Tribal and deciding he's a massive threat because of all that stuff. Dom's best chance is probably to keep Navati back on the "let's make a few days easy and stick together" that Chris wouldn't agree to. But that's a waiting game until people get antsy and make a move. He's got Laurel and Donathan but they seem too proactive to let it go too deep. Wendall probably doesn't want to go the end with Dom either (and probably vice versa). Dom apparently has a good relationship with Chelsea so she could be a good number. But there's a lot of threads.

I think it's making for a good potential second half of the season. But we'll see.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

there are a lot of moving parts but they did a good job setting up most of these personalities for us to understand them a bit after merge. like aside from chelsea and maybe jenna most of them have already had enough screentime that it could be a delight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I think everyone left has got some roots other than Sebastian (who's honestly just kind of slightly more relevant than JP last season). I mean I don't see Angela or Jenna winning, but they have a potentially good storyline or two left in them.

I don't know if there are any big obvious threats left other than Dom, though. You could target Kellyn for puzzles or Michael/Sebastian for strength, and Libby seems to be a huge social threat from the way everyone's talking (which I don't get since we've seen so little of her). Aside from that, everyone seems to be on a level playing field... which sounds good, but it's also a bit worrying since in MvG it seemed like everyone post-merge was there to play but there were only a few relevant people that mattered (David, Jay, Adam, maaaybe Ken/Hannah).

• Locked thread